Clare Will Regulate Dispensaries!

OK, for those who couldn't read all of this, be aware (my initial reading, not legal advice etc)

1. Outright bans Dispensaries or any arrangement I can think of to engage in communal partaking.

2. Limits 12 plants per dwelling (up to 72 for a CG with 5 patients and himself a patient under the MMMA).

3. Adds words and complications to MANY provisions of the MMMA (i.e. grow room requirements etc.).

4. Provides for a "cultivation facility" which CAN sell but no med use on the premises or the use permit gets pulled.

This shall not stand.

What happened at the hearing Monday?

The source of their statistics and information is also an organization that openly suggests that alcohol prohibition was a successful policy. http://www.californiapolicechiefs.org

Further, the reports they base their findings on do not point to marijuana as being the source of the increases in crime, marijuana just happens to be a handy scapegoat.

Even their claims about increases in violence, are based on a report from "Central Valley California HIDTA" titled "Marijuana: A Culture of violence" and it blames the Mexican drug cartels and illegal aliens for the problems, not the medical marijuana community of the state. Here is how they report the problem:

Could parts of California’s forests and other

public lands be closed off to the public because they are too dangerous for people to use due to

heavily armed Mexican drug cartel members? It is possible. Perhaps you are thinking “prove

it!” Consider the following.

Recently the Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife posted signs warning

visitors to Arizona’s Buenas Aeries Wildlife Recreation Area to beware of armed drug

smugglers and human traffickers. Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu said that “public use of the

area is not prudent. The violence against law enforcement officers and U.S. citizens has

increased in the past four months, further underscoring the need to keep the 80 miles of border

land off-limits to Americans.” i In 2007 a significant portion of Whiskeytown National

Recreational Area in Northern California was closed for a short time to ensure visitor safety due

to the possibility of an outstanding suspect armed with a shotgun who fled from a marijuana

grow site.

California’s Drug Cartels and Marijuana Violence:

California produces more marijuana from outdoor grow locations than any other state and may grow more marijuana than Mexico. vi

Nearly 80% of the grow locations are on public lands in this state and most are occupied by two

or three illegal aliens. There were nearly 2,000 grows eradicated during 2009; it’s possible that

there were nearly 4,000 armed illegal aliens in the forests of this state last year. Nearly 90% of

those arrested were from Michoacán Mexico. One news report said that the La Familia

Michoacána cartel employs 65,000 farmers growing marijuana in Michoacán. vii

Since 2004, the Central Valley California HIDTA has been studying the escalating violence

associated with the growing of cannabis throughout California. The increasing involvement of

highly organized drug trafficking organizations protecting their investment or competing for

territory and market share has elevated the dangers surrounding cannabis growing from “pot

users merely growing their stash” to what the National Geographic News called it (a) “Marijuana

War Smolders on U.S. Public Lands. x The drug cartels have hired and trained killers and gang

members to ensure their territorial control. The cartel members have already demonstrated a

capacity for wanton brutality and nearly unspeakable viciousness in their battles with each other,

the military and law enforcement in Mexico.

You get the idea...

Yeah, I've got the idea:

1. Ban Cannabis (or alcohol, gambling, guns, etc.)
  2. Wait for the inevitable price rise.
  3. Wait for the growth of criminal gangs supplying the banned substance/activity
  4. Wait long enough for most people to forget that there wasn't much violence or criminal activity associated with the banned substance / activity before it was outlawed.
  5. Blame the originally banned substance / activity for the criminal activity

Yeah, I've got the idea:

1. Ban Cannabis (or alcohol, gambling, guns, etc.)
  2. Wait for the inevitable price rise.
  3. Wait for the growth of criminal gangs supplying the banned substance/activity
  4. Wait long enough for most people to forget that there wasn't much violence or criminal activity associated with the banned substance / activity before it was outlawed.
  5. Blame the originally banned substance / activity for the criminal activity

That's about right. :laughcry:

The meeting went VERY well, a lot of the CCCC showed up

Anyhow, A lot of the main issues were covered and they were very receptive to our presence.. Dr. Bob even attended (Thank you Sir!!)

OK, for those who couldn't read all of this, be aware (my initial reading, not legal advice etc)

1. Outright bans Dispensaries or any arrangement I can think of to engage in communal partaking.

2. Limits 12 plants per dwelling (up to 72 for a CG with 5 patients and himself a patient under the MMMA).

3. Adds words and complications to MANY provisions of the MMMA (i.e. grow room requirements etc.).

4. Provides for a "cultivation facility" which CAN sell but no med use on the premises or the use permit gets pulled.

This shall not stand.

What happened at the hearing Monday?

We covered mainly Chap 52, Art 3, Div 2 section 1-6-7-8..

1. 12 plants per household - directly conflicts with the MMJ Act

6. Why should a caregiver have to occupy the grow location in terms of residence? This made no sense, if it's a larger grow opp, why would you put a "family unit" at risk? Didn't make any sense to anyone really..

7. Just terrible wording... Says that the patients would in essence HAVE to live on premises for them to receive any legal medication..

8. no commercial cultivation of patient to patient transfers? - direct conflict with the act, and in fact it was questioned by Commissioner Koch.. It was even recognized that ANYTHING produced has value, there biggest concern is having a dispensary on every other corner. (Mind you this is ONLY for the HUGE city of Clare...lol)

They understand and respect that this is a value generating topic, the biggest concern is the "Wild Wild West" mentality.

One of the great points brought up by Dr. Bob is that the medicine is FREE to everyone..!! But caregivers require cost recovery for time, effort, electric, chems, equipment.. ect.. So while the MEDICINE IS FREE, the Caregiver Service is a service VERY worthy of compensation for costs recovery.. All agreed..

I have to say, I'm not the best at reporting back all the subtle details.. I'm like a bull in a china shop when it comes to the fine details..

The meeting went VERY well, the City Commission was very receptive and open to our views.. !!

Now, I hope some of the others show and add to this and don't just let it die..

Far from dead.. In fact feeling so much better in the last couple of years.

Anywhooo. I think the meeting went ok and that there will be some more discussions i hope.. will there? They did seem caught offgaurd to the residential zoning part. The gentleman said he thought this was just about cooperative grows in the industrial zones. And complained about the costs associated. And he did have understanding of the law somewhat So he will be the voice of reason on the board. Anyways it would seem the zoning has to be reaccessed and I believe they also saw that..

It is REALLY IRRITATING to have to listen to their questions for their lawyer.. Or rather the answers. *Jumping up* Sorry Maam outdoor growing is not Illegal.A memo was sent out by the feds to HUD housing managers. Scotus says you cant uphold Federal law. The State has not said that patient to patient transfers are illegal. The White papers are written fairly biased and the mich white papers are based on fairly biased writings. READ UP!!*sitting down* Umm Annnie..

Thanks so much for all that showed.. We have a great loyal group of good law abiding MM citizens in clare thats for sure.. Thanks for the compelling and hearttouching testimonies.

I Heart you guys.. Lets Write letters at our next meeting ok?

• 3 weeks later...

Please bring up the point that they are forcing people to grow their own medicine or to go to the street. How can they force a caregiver support up to 5 patients with only 12 plants per residence and then go say you must have someone residing in each residence.

Please correct me, but I feel that people who are not in the position to grow their own meds will have a hard time finding a caregiver that is willing to have them be the sole person they can supply from their residence. I suppose there would be price inflations also because there is no longer 4 other people to share the cost with.

TONIGHT AT 6:00 is the clare city planning comissions second go around for trying to write this zoning without breaking our law into pieces.. WE NEED SUPPORT IN CLARE TONIGHT!! At the public works building PLEASE COME!!

I'll do my best to make it... lots going on in this camp the last few days...

Archived