Tincture Help Please

In jar 1 is 7g of water cured shake/underbud dust and has been soaking in 7oz. 151proof everclear for 2 weeks.

Jar 2 has 7g whole underbuds in 7oz everclear for 2 weeks.

Both jars shaken each day, but thats it.

What are the next steps please?

Does heat need to be applied?

Is 7 grams in 7 ounces a light mix?  Have you made it this way before?  I usually add just enough alcohol to cover the plant material.  As for time, I speed up the process by sealing the jar and letting it simmer in a water bath for 12 hours or so.  I haven't made it your way, but I have a general impression that the soak time is exaggerated in those recipes that call for soaking it for months.  Is that really necessary?

The recipes for ISO alcohol extraction, for example, call for soaking for very short times, only 30 seconds or so.  That's mostly to avoid the chlorophyll taste / smell in the smokable extract, but does indicate that most of the good stuff is extracted and dissolves quickly into the alcohol.

Anyway, there's one sure way to find out -- try it!

Don't forget...

Isopropyl is a pure solution at 100% is cut down with water.

Ethanol has water in a state called azeotrope. It has to go through distillation to remove the water.

That can make a lot of difference as to how the solution behaves for extraction.

Is 7 grams in 7 ounces a light mix?  Have you made it this way before?  I usually add just enough alcohol to cover the plant material.  As for time, I speed up the process by sealing the jar and letting it simmer in a water bath for 12 hours or so.  I haven't made it your way, but I have a general impression that the soak time is exaggerated in those recipes that call for soaking it for months.  Is that really necessary?

The recipes for ISO alcohol extraction, for example, call for soaking for very short times, only 30 seconds or so.  That's mostly to avoid the chlorophyll taste / smell in the smokable extract, but does indicate that most of the good stuff is extracted and dissolves quickly into the alcohol.

Anyway, there's one sure way to find out -- try it!

Never made it before. This is experimental stage :)

Baseline starting at a 1:1 ratio and work from there. Figured it would be weaker, but dosing should be more precise. Speaking of dosage, at what point should expect to notice an effect? thx

Ohhh, and from the personal FAILED files...

Don't do this: use regular alcohol of the drinking variety.

First experiment ever using alcohol was... Hey, soak some trim in clear booze.

Notion was of the culinary terms... use clear booze that I would be want to drink straight.

So I... took a ceramic (well glazed) pitcher, added trim, covered with good drinkable vodka, covered, let sit a couple weeks, strained.

Result was... a nicely opaque green brew that was one hell of a green tasting shot. Rough to choke, aftertaste was odd. Couldn't tell if the effects were due to the shot really. More muscle relaxation than normally found in taking a shot.

After a couple weeks in the freezer in a tightly screwed mason jar it changed. It became a deep mossy brown, and had deep flavorings almost like it had been subjected to wood aging, like a good congac. Even rougher to choke down, noticeably less effective. Awful even in well honeyed tea. Tried it topically to see if it could be salvaged even for that use.. nope. Had to dump it.

EPIC FAIL!!

Don't use clear booze that you would want to drink straight other than a short shot. Use clear booze that you would only want to use to strip varnish, grow hair on your chest, or make an incredible wapatuee with. Use clear booze that you may need to jump a state line to get cuz the local stuff is merely 151.

The less water in your alcohol the better.

Don't use clear booze that you would want to drink straight other than a short shot. Use clear booze that you would only want to use to strip varnish, grow hair on your chest, or make an incredible wapatuee with. Use clear booze that you may need to jump a state line to get cuz the local stuff is merely 151.

The less water in your alcohol the better.

Amen.  I've made my last few batches with Everclear 190 proof, and flavor is noticeably better than with the 151 proof max. available in Michigan.  IIRC, Everclear 190 proof is available in Wisconson and Indiana.  In Wisconson it's cheaper than the Bacardi 151 is here.

Strain it out really well and leave it to set up. The oils, the good stuff will either sink to the bottom or float to the top, (if you add a small drop of honey or two it makes the oil float. Not sure why.) and you can siphon it off. There is another way but it's dangerous, but works well if you are careful. I have found a frydaddy repurposed for making oil is the best. It has temp control and no open heating element. :)

I use about 1/4th a pound of crushed buds in a Half gallon mason jar. cover the crushed buds with 190 proof everclear/grain alcohol. The alcohol quickly dissolves the essential oils from the buds & doesn't have to sit for weeks as many think. I have found that 24 hours is more than enough. You can then strain off the material & try a dropper full under your tounge. If you tincture is not strong enough for one dropperfull to acheieve your desird effect, then you can start to slowly evaporate the alcohol off to increase potency. Simply leaving the jar open will slowly evaporate some of the alcohol, however a rice cooker, or possibly the frydaddy mentioned in a previous post will work. WARNING! If your going to heat the mixture, do it GENTLY & SLOWLY apply heat, the alcohol will boil at very low settings. Do NOT use a gas stove! Do not let your heating elements get hot enough to glow! NO SMOKING! Fire risk is great!

I always use the 190 proof Everclear and let it sit for seven days. It helps to soak it in water for a day to get rid of the chlorophyll then dry and put it in the alcohol. The proportion of cannabis to alcohol varies with the strength of the meds. If the batch isn't strong enough just add more and let it sit awhile longer.

I use enough alcohol to cover the trim. let sit for 24 hrs., shaking here and there. then strain ( I use a t-shirt then coffee filter). after that I place the liquid in a fondue warmer ( a small crock-pot that only heats to 115. a rice cooker on warm works too!) the alcohol will disapate in about 6 hours leaving a DARK green/black glob of goo in an inch of dirty water. place goo in a small dish and keep in freezer. its a messy process to deal with un-frozen, oil sticks to EVERYTHING!!!

this oil is the active ingredient in all my medibles. 5g oil for 4dz brownies. to cook with, find a recipe that uses cooking oil. measure oil, add goo and microwave for a few seconds. goo melts into oil easily and looks EVIL!! add to recipe and cook as normal.

my patients tell me 1 is slight, 2 is frieght train!!!

P.S. this reeks the house up, don't have people over that don't need to know what your doing, because they will!!

Hello Tincture lovers,

Just wanted everyone to know you can even kick booze all together with the use of a gycerine based tincture

Honest, for those involved in helping the Alcohol bunch get free though total detox ...Try it!

The meds take the place of the booze and can be flavored to your taste...

I like leomon oil as it is a nautral in Tea since I am a CBD patient not a boozer but does not matter what our aiment, Tinctures work on a custom made basis very well !

There are many tinture ideas but this one works for the sake of those suffering.

Hard indica is your pin point drug such as OG 18 or the like.

Remember...This journey that we all share is about liver health...Sad Liver = a sad life

This does not just mean from drinking since that is a personal choice till it becomes chronic,

RX poison will kill you even faster ! As it cloggs the liver, you as a person slide downn hill with it As you go to your great reward.

peace

Indica Mickey

I tried my first tincture the other day and was dissapointed big time. I mean it says on the bottle 3-5 drops every 20 mins as needed. I tried that with no effects at all. Then tried about 10 not much better. It takes about 2 droppers full to ease the pain in my shoulder. I did like the fact that it did not really make me HIGH just no pain and slightly upbeat feeling. I think maybe it was just weak mix or something. I got it from a dispensary.

Without heat, you have the inactive forms of cannabinoids.

If you warm the material in an oven for a few minuets at lower temps .. say 200F for a half hour, then make your whatever, you have activated the cannabinoids.

The larger percentage of water, the larger percentage of plant green material in the result.

When I do a iso wash for Simpson oil, I use 99% and wash for only one or 2 minuets. The green stuff takes longer to dissolve than do the cannabinoids.

Archived