Warning! N-G-W Tubing Is Offgassing

shishka

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that IS the same tubing that comes with the Big Daddy System. there's gonna be MILES of it out there! I didn't like the 1/2 inch water supply lines and changed it to 1" PVC on set up, so I'm good. Just had 2 pieces connected to the pumps. easy to replace 2x3 foot. GLAD its not 60!!

Don't know how you lost it. It's still pinned in the hydro section right where I left it. ;)

ugh, sorry :) i looked all over, and did a site-search as well. i thought it was in the grow room. my bad :(

What does bump mean?

when a post is made in a certain topic, it goes to the top of the "currently used threads" list .

check the tab at the top of this page that says" today's active content" as soon as you do, you will see this thread on top. because i just posted here.

thus "bumping" it to the top again so people see it.

gallery_13801_60_7931.jpg

In the interests of how serious this is..

From the hydrohut recall.. a UK site with some nice pics of the result of such off gassing. Girls gone yellow.

And some text from an open letter to the public from Hydrohut:

Open Letter from HydroHut to the public

In the last several months, HydroHut has been made aware of and pursued a problem with some of its Huts causing a peculiar plant yellowing leading to plant whitening in certain, sensitive plants. While the issue did not arise in all plants, or all Huts, the existence of a problem was not conducive to our product's mission.

After several months of extensive testing, false positives and much interaction with the public regarding this matter, we have found an EPA approved compound that isn't stable in our plastic and that causes extreme stress to certain sensitive plants. In the future, this compound will be removed during manufacture.

Our focus has been directed at how to remove this compound from the plastic and to do so in a way that we could retroactively repair any HydroHut already in the field. As of February 2008, HydroHut will be repairing any affected HydroHuts at its facility. The exact process by which we repair the HydroHuts is extensive and proprietary and it will be carried out by a trained staff at our locations.

We fully understand that this situation with our product has adversely affected many clients. For this reason, we are standing behind our product and are offering anyone who has been affected a way to have his/her HydroHut repaired free of charge.

Any client, be they end user or store, can arrange to have his HydroHut shipped back to our Los Angeles facility for processing, free of charge. The HydroHut will then be shipped back to the client free of charge.

All inquiries for HydroHut processing should be directed to hydrohuts@gmail.com with no exceptions.

Please provide the following details in the email:

1) Size/model of affected HydroHut

2) Number of affected HydroHuts (only the HydroHut brand will be accepted for processing)

3) Address where the HydroHut can be picked up by UPS call tag (make sure someone is there to meet the UPS driver) Do not use a PO box as UPS will not pick up from a PO box

4) A name to whom/which we can address the package going back to you, the client. (We will make a good faith attempt at getting your product back to you. If nobody is at the address to accept the package three times, the package will be sent back to Los Angeles. Any further attempts to get the package to the client will be paid for by client.)

5) Please remove your HydroHut canvas or skin and box it up. Do not pack up your poles or hardware. Do not remove your frame. Do not attempt to ship us your frame or other items. We will only be call tagging the canvas in a box. You must provide that box and properly seal that box. We will send you a call tag for a specific weight based on the email you send to us with your HydroHut details. Again, we will only be taking back your canvas for processing; no other parts or hardware will be accepted. Leave your frame set up and intact.

6) We will make every effort to process and reship your HydroHut canvas within two weeks. This is not a guarantee but it is our goal. Please note that ground shipments across the USA can take up to 8 days! Even if we process your HydroHut in only one day, there could still be 16 days of ground shipping, 8 days coming to us and 8 days going back. Be patient. Most clients will not have to wait two weeks. Every attempt will be made to expedite each HydroHut.

7) If a store has new HydroHut, still in its original box, the canvas can be re-boxed in a separate box, and the canvas will be returned to the store new and folded, ready to put back into the original box. Please keep your original box at your store including all poles, hardware, and instructions. Do not send us the entire unit.

While this entire exercise may be time consuming, HydroHut is doing all that it can to rectify this problem as quickly as possible. We apologize to everyone for the difficulties incurred with our product, end-users and stores. Without a loyal standing of clients we would be nothing. It is our goal make this situation as right as we can. Thank you to everyone who has stuck with us through this difficult period.

Hard to tell if im seeing a return in growth..

Hard to tell if it was the problem at all. It wont be until all exposed plants are through the system, will i be able to fully quantify it all, to myself and to everyone else...

I REALLY hope this has been the issue here, with all of 10' of the tubing used, its difficult for me to just go ''Oh yeah, that's the problem"

I would like to think I don't suck this bad... The frustration level is through the roof right now... Soooo sick and Soooo tired of this...

Interesting to see i have a few autoflowers in bubble buckets, that got a small amount of exposure, they have a small amount of spots and yellowing... but look great otherwise...

The ones in veg, that had more exposure, looke worse... then flower looks like total crap...?

plenty of picsof the damage in my gallery... understand while looking in said gallery, i've never really been much over 600ppm at any time (cause it looks like everything is burnt to (I can't convey a point without vulgarities))

I took the origional article to my local hydro shop guy and caused quite a stir...

He informed me that after being in contact, with his NGW contact, that the issue IS being looked into... His contact said that others had made the point to him about the issues, it wasnt till MY hydro guy, FAXED him that origional artical, that he had seen actual proof of anything...

Understand that he was just talking to a sales guy, and that the higher-ups are likely already aware, if this is headed for court...

I took the origional article to my local hydro shop guy and caused quite a stir...

I told a salesman at the grow show in A2 and his response was "yeah, it's easier to blame someone else huh?"

Just the kind of attitude I expect when I walk in that store.

I told a salesman at the grow show in A2 and his response was "yeah, it's easier to blame someone else huh?"

Just the kind of attitude I expect when I walk in that store.

I have to re-iterate... You EXPECT that sort of attitude when you walk into a hydro shop?

WOW..

My hydro guy loses sleep over my issues....lol..

Rashore : I borrowed some of the pics form that site as a comparison..

There healthy plant going in..

gallery_11199_188_29351.jpg

Mine (ok so it wasn't that healthy, I thing the problem was already starting to yeild it's head from being in my VEG unit, with the tubing)

gallery_11199_188_2027914.jpg

theirs after 5 days..

gallery_11199_188_23127.jpg

Mine...

gallery_11199_188_154595.jpg

Theirs after 7days..

gallery_11199_188_13918.jpg

Mine..

gallery_11199_188_452820.jpg

gallery_11199_188_1312921.jpg

Compelling..

Guest finallyfree09

Rashore : I borrowed some of the pics form that site as a comparison..

There healthy plant going in..

gallery_11199_188_29351.jpg

Mine (ok so it wasn't that healthy, I thing the problem was already starting to yeild it's head from being in my VEG unit, with the tubing)

gallery_11199_188_2027914.jpg

theirs after 5 days..

gallery_11199_188_23127.jpg

Mine...

gallery_11199_188_154595.jpg

Theirs after 7days..

gallery_11199_188_13918.jpg

Mine..

gallery_11199_188_452820.jpg

gallery_11199_188_1312921.jpg

Compelling..

how are they looking today man? after seeing them saturday i was just curious if you were able to correct the other prob you had

Guest finallyfree09

nope, coontinuting to fail...

I put 4 little ones into the areo/nft system last night to see, they should have little exposure...

as soon as im confident that the bubble buckets failed, ill replace thier stock and see what happens...

how'd those clones do..?? Good to go?

they are doing ok so far. they have now survived 4 nights in my care. pretty impressive to me considering i have never run a hydro setup before. ive seen quite a few of them but have never gotten behind the wheel. i have been struggling a little bit with the earth juice but bubblegrower is helping walk me through this. THANKYOU BUBBLEGROWER!!! :bow::bow::bow:

last night i put them into the totes. after some struggling with my ph and ec measurements i got them to stabilize, crossed my fingers and went to bed. got up this morning and they were alive and NOT wilting!!! hooooooooraaaaaaaaay!!!!

this is going to be a heckuva a ride, i can already tell.

Hi Everyone I stumbled accross this post by accident. But I am the one that did the research on this problem. Sorry to hear you guys got hit with it as well. Recovery is slow and can take a month of veg to come out of it completly. with flowering plants you will see no signs of recovery but trust me the sooner it is out the better the yeild will be. The diisobutyl phthalate only has a 2 week shelf life so as soon as it is removed it disapates. Less light, foliar sprays, turning off extra co2, and doing a rez change after the tube is gone all helps to speed up the process. If any one has any questions or needs any help please feel free to ask.

Yeild with tube all the way through flower

4-6 oz per 1k

yeild with tube removed no veg recovery

8.5lbs off 10k

yeild with tube removed 14 days veg recovery

9.5lbs off 10k

yeild with tube removed 30 day veg recovery

10.5lbs off 9k

yeild tube removed 3 weeks into flower

3.75 off 6k

yeild tube removed 4 weeks into flower

2.5lbs off 4k

so what is the replacement solution?

ALL VINYL TUBING CONTAINS PHTHALATE!

ALL VINYL CONTAINS PHTHALATE!

Quote"Phthalates, called “plasticizers,” are a group of industrial chemicals used to make plastics like polyvinyl chloride (PVC) more flexible or resilient and also as solvents. Phthalates are nearly ubiquitous in modern society, found in, among other things, toys, food packaging, hoses, raincoats, shower curtains, vinyl flooring, wall coverings, lubricants, adhesives, detergents, nail polish, hair spray and shampoo. "End Quote

are there fittings for PEX(POLYETHYLENE)also we need to make sure what our totes/buckets are made of-i know that even lexan will outgass-REI/Nalgene recalled a bunch of H2O bottles because of BPA

who has got the answers?

so what is the replacement solution?

ALL VINYL TUBING CONTAINS PHTHALATE!

ALL VINYL CONTAINS PHTHALATE!

Quote"Phthalates, called “plasticizers,” are a group of industrial chemicals used to make plastics like polyvinyl chloride (PVC) more flexible or resilient and also as solvents. Phthalates are nearly ubiquitous in modern society, found in, among other things, toys, food packaging, hoses, raincoats, shower curtains, vinyl flooring, wall coverings, lubricants, adhesives, detergents, nail polish, hair spray and shampoo. "End Quote

are there fittings for PEX(POLYETHYLENE)also we need to make sure what our totes/buckets are made of-i know that even lexan will outgass-REI/Nalgene recalled a bunch of H2O bottles because of BPA

who has got the answers?

Dimethyl phthalate DMP C6H4(COOCH3)2 131-11-3

Diethyl phthalate DEP C6H4(COOC2H5)2 84-66-2

Diallyl phthalate DAP C6H4(COOCH2CH=CH2)2 131-17-9

Di-n-propyl phthalate DPP C6H4[COO(CH2)2CH3]2 131-16-8

Di-n-butyl phthalate DBP C6H4[COO(CH2)3CH3]2 84-74-2

Diisobutyl phthalate DIBP C6H4[COOCH2CH(CH3)2]2 84-69-5

Butyl cyclohexyl phthalate BCP CH3(CH2)3OOCC6H4COOC6H11 84-64-0

Di-n-pentyl phthalate DNPP C6H4[COO(CH2)4CH3]2 131-18-0

Dicyclohexyl phthalate DCP C6H4[COOC6H11]2 84-61-7

Butyl benzyl phthalate BBP CH3(CH2)3OOCC6H4COOCH2C6H5 85-68-7

Di-n-hexyl phthalate DNHP C6H4[COO(CH2)5CH3]2 84-75-3

Diisohexyl phthalate DIHxP C6H4[COO(CH2)3CH(CH3)2]2 146-50-9

Diisoheptyl phthalate DIHpP C6H4[COO(CH2)4CH(CH3)2]2 41451-28-9

Butyl decyl phthalate BDP CH3(CH2)3OOCC6H4COO(CH2)9CH3 89-19-0

Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate DEHP, DOP C6H4[COOCH2CH(C2H5)(CH2)3CH3]2 117-81-7

Di(n-octyl) phthalate DNOP C6H4[COO(CH2)7CH3]2 117-84-0

Diisooctyl phthalate DIOP C6H4[COO(CH2)5CH(CH3)2]2 27554-26-3

n-Octyl n-decyl phthalate ODP CH3(CH2)7OOCC6H4COO(CH2)9CH3 119-07-3

Diisononyl phthalate DINP C6H4[COO(CH2)6CH(CH3)2]2 28553-12-0

Di(2-Propyl Heptyl) phthalate DPHP C6H4[COOCH2CH(CH2CH2CH3)(CH2)4CH3]2 53306-54-0

Diisodecyl phthalate DIDP C6H4[COO(CH2)7CH(CH3)2]2 26761-40-0

Diundecyl phthalate DUP C6H4[COO(CH2)10CH3]2 3648-20-2

Diisoundecyl phthalate DIUP C6H4[COO(CH2)8CH(CH3)2]2 85507-79-5

Ditridecyl phthalate DTDP C6H4[COO(CH2)12CH3]2 119-06-2

Diisotridecyl phthalate DIUP C6H4[COO(CH2)10CH(CH3)2]2 68515-47-9

With a few "Phthalates" to choose from, I think U.G.U made it perfectly clear WHICH was the problem child..

So if that helps... I am already seeing results.. , sort of..

The new seems to be starting to curl, just like the old in my Aero/NFT system... (I have to say, the PITIFUL looking group in the back, are actually TRYING to live, and starting to resin up..??!!)

gallery_11199_188_1524274.jpg

Oh, it's sickening, I know..but sugar..

gallery_11199_188_2467750.jpg

gallery_11199_188_922218.jpg

So far so good with the bubble buckets, I have the original set, left as my test set for the BB, and a new set as a trial..

Old BB set, it's "trying" but it's not healthy..

gallery_11199_188_549162.jpg

and the new set, not doing bad, old leaves are coming off, as they were damaged in veg...

gallery_11199_188_1501327.jpg

Best thing you can do is get rid of a KNOWN CULPRIT.. and hope..

Archived