Clubs And Dispensaries

I am confused. Or maybe just dense? Don't answer that one. You would think I have been around long enough to get this subtlety.

What is the difference between a club and a dispensary? I have stopped in at a place that has been referred to here as a dispensary. I then went to a place with a sign up that refers to themselves as a compassion club. Functionally I could not see a difference. Both wanted a $10 fee to join. Both had a room with expensive meds for sale. The club did have a great selection as well as medibles.

My friend, it is not only you that is having a problem with such distinctions, many folks are. Generally speaking, and these descriptions are solely my opinions..

From my understanding a compassion club is a membership based organization, made up of patients and caregivers, formed to provide help, information, support to its members. That the leadership comes from within the ranks of that membership, and could (should?) be elected by the membership. These are non profit organizations, that may provide a safe and reliable way for its membership to exchange meds and/or genetics. Any money that is taken in by the club, is for the betterment of the club and the members as a whole not just an individual or 2.

Dispensaries are exactly that, they are for profit businesses. Their main purpose is to provide a product (and in some cases services) that is needed by patients and/or caregivers. While many now require a membership, this is an attempt to provide some legal cover in accounting for the quantities of meds on hand. Also the profits are destined to pay salaries and for possible expansion, the bulk of business revolves around facilitating a transfer of meds between those with overages and those with needs.

Much of the confusion is being caused as some dispensaries are attempting to call themselves clubs; and as some clubs begin to offer more and more business like hours for the trading or dispensing of meds...

In some areas of the state the distinction is very clear, in other parts it is like asking what the difference is between the Elks, Moose, or VFW and a bar is?

Hope that helps some. ;)

Thanks Rev. I thought it was just me. I saw no functional difference in the club I went to. They said they wanted it to be like "family" and were very pleasant to chat with. Still it was not the club atmosphere I was expecting. It was just a dispensary where you could buy meds. Not even a place to sit down a chat with people.

I did get some meds and to be honest I was kind of disappointed. They were not cured to my standards (still too moist) and the potency was not up to the legendary reputation of the strain I purchased. But I am not holding that against them yet. It could have just been a bad batch. I will give them another chance as I like the idea of being able to try some different strains to see what I want to add to my grow.

I don't know what I was expecting. Smoking jackets and leather arm chairs in front of a roaring fireplace where we are all drinking brandy, smoking Maui Waui, and discussing our last African safari I guess. :D In reality I did kind of look forward to a place where I could spend a hour or so shooting the breeze and discussing common interest. There is at least one or two more in town I have not checked out. I guess I will stop in those locations and see how they are operated.

I am confused. Or maybe just dense? Don't answer that one. You would think I have been around long enough to get this subtlety.

What is the difference between a club and a dispensary? I have stopped in at a place that has been referred to here as a dispensary. I then went to a place with a sign up that refers to themselves as a compassion club. Functionally I could not see a difference. Both wanted a $10 fee to join. Both had a room with expensive meds for sale. The club did have a great selection as well as medibles.

My understanding of the difference is the way the sales room is set up.

A dispensary would have all meds behind a counter with one person dispensing the product and collecting the money which belongs to the dispensary like a typical convenience store.

A club would allow members to deliver their own product to others and proceeds would belong to that member. More like a farmers market.

A dispensary would have all meds behind a counter with one person dispensing the product and collecting the money which belongs to the dispensary like a typical convenience store.

A club would allow members to deliver their own product to others and proceeds would belong to that member. More like a farmers market.

The "club" said they would buy my overages. However they did not say they would let me sell my own overages to other patients. More to my liking would be to trade strains so I can try a couple of different ones. Truly I want a club. I am not looking to sell anything and will adjust my grow so I don't have any overages.

Don't clubs normally have a charter that details the clubs operation? Or is that only for clubs that are associated with a national organization?

The "club" said they would buy my overages. However they did not say they would let me sell my own overages to other patients. More to my liking would be to trade strains so I can try a couple of different ones. Truly I want a club. I am not looking to sell anything and will adjust my grow so I don't have any overages.

Don't clubs normally have a charter that details the clubs operation? Or is that only for clubs that are associated with a national organization?

The clubs I belong to have a charter or at least a charter like document.

From your description this "club" sounds like a dispensary to me.

I don' t think many folks are dispensing in public

Its always a membership...but dispensery none the less

The difference is intent

One intends to make money the other intends to help people

The clubs that I like act as dispensing collectives where everyone can participate and everyone supports it...no one person nor group of people are getting rich

The dispensery has owners who are looking to make profit and hire employees ect

The co-op/collective is everyone is as a partner, share holder...equal

The dispensery will most likely be here to stay...raid or no raids

Hopefully practical collectives can also be maintained within the commpasssion clubs

It will make for more constructive activities and better quality and prices

All around better time..... :D

I am new to all of this legal buying and selling. When I went to the clinic to get my MMMC the consultant there told me that the dispensaries were getting shut down and some card holders were getting their cards confiscated. Is this true? have any of you had an experience of this sort. I am in northern LP of Mich and would like to find a group or dispensary or someone to connect up with. But atheist420 sounds like their experience was not so great at the dispensary. I can't afford to pay an exorbinate price for midgrade. I can do that on the street!! The e-mail address the clinic gave me is no longer in use and the new e-mail it posted to contact was not a valid address!! So for now I am stuck. Any suggestions?

Archived