The Real Meaning Of 420

i'll be honest......... in my naivety i thought that "420" was the police code for marijuana smoking in progress.

once again, in all honesty, i was about to approach member marijuanaranch who incluse a "420" in every post they make. sorry ron :)

i figured i had better be factual before i enter an argument............ and i found there was never a need to enter one at all.

enjoy. and hey ron............... 420peace bro :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_%28cannabis_culture%29

420, 4:20 or 4/20 (pronounced four-twenty) refers to consumption of cannabis and, by extension, a way to identify oneself with cannabis subculture. The date April 20 is sometimes referred to as "Weed Day" or "Pot Day".[1]

The term was allegedly coined by a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California, United States in 1971.[2][3] The teens would meet after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana outside the school.[4]

The group called itself the Waldos because its members hung out by a wall after school.[5] Writer Ryan Grim, citing interviews with anonymous Waldos, claims that the group met by a statue of Louis Pasteur on the school grounds at 4:20 p.m. to search for an abandoned cannabis crop near Point Reyes that they had heard about. They never found the stash, Grim writes, but smoked plenty of marijuana while looking for it.[6]

High Times Creative Director Steven Hager was the first person to track down the Waldos and publish their account of the origins of the term. Hager wrote an article in October 1998 issue High Times "Are You Stoner Smart or Stoner Stupid?" in which he called for 4:20 PM to be the socially accepted hour of the day to consume cannabis. "I believe 420 is a ritualization of cannabis use that holds deep meaning for our subculture," wrote Hager. "It also points us in a direction for the responsible use of cannabis."

i'll be honest......... in my naivety i thought that "420" was the police code for marijuana smoking in progress.

once again, in all honesty, i was about to approach member marijuanaranch who incluse a "420" in every post they make. sorry ron :)

i figured i had better be factual before i enter an argument............ and i found there was never a need to enter one at all.

http://en.wikipedia....abis_culture%29

420, 4:20 or 4/20 (pronounced four-twenty) refers to consumption of cannabis and, by extension, a way to identify oneself with cannabis subculture. The date April 20 is sometimes referred to as "Weed Day" or "Pot Day".[1]

The term was allegedly coined by a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California, United States in 1971.[2][3] The teens would meet after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana outside the school.[4]

The group called itself the Waldos because its members hung out by a wall after school.[5] Writer Ryan Grim, citing interviews with anonymous Waldos, claims that the group met by a statue of Louis Pasteur on the school grounds at 4:20 p.m. to search for an abandoned cannabis crop near Point Reyes that they had heard about. They never found the stash, Grim writes, but smoked plenty of marijuana while looking for it.[6]

High Times Creative Director Steven Hager was the first person to track down the Waldos and publish their account of the origins of the term. Hager wrote an article in October 1998 issue High Times "Are You Stoner Smart or Stoner Stupid?" in which he called for 4:20 PM to be the socially accepted hour of the day to consume cannabis. "I believe 420 is a ritualization of cannabis use that holds deep meaning for our subculture," wrote Hager. "It also points us in a direction for the responsible use of cannabis."

420Peace bro,

4 yrs 2 Mo 0 days ago I spent a winter in Wonderful Portland OR.

All the alternative newspapers it was 420 this 420 that and when I asked a local they explained it to me.

Always fun to learn something new!

Next Marijuana Culture Phrase Quiz..

What is a 'Jefferson Airplane'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_%28cannabis_culture%29

Ok, all you school kids don't get this in your head! LOL Get home from work, shower, and put on a nice pot of tea and unwind at 4:20 your ready~! I did that for years~ ok, it's 24/7 phrase for me now~ "The Old Dutch Lady" is sore all the time~

Peace and Love and Just Imagine~

( I am a patient/caregiver)

Hello Fol

Had a WWII vet tell me that the machine gun belts on WWII fighter planes were 27 feet long. When they would empty their guns on an enemy plane, they gave them "the whole nine yards."

Tnx,

thats a good one. never heard that one!!

here ya go.

centuries ago, everything was moved long distances via boat. including a very crucial need back then...... fertilizer. animal dung.

well the old wooden boats would eventually spring small leaks, slightly wetting the fertilizer in the bottoms of the boat, intitializing that stench we all love :)

anyways, there would be mysterious explosions on the boats occasionally. eventually it was learned that they occured when the watch-man would check on the cargo using his open-flame lantern.

within years, ferttilizer was boxed, labeled, and shipped differently.

on the outside of every box of fertilizer were the words:

Ship

High

In

Transit

and so s-h-i-t was born :)

since nobody answered, i had to look it up :)

Circa the 1940s and '50s, a term for a roach-holder fashioned from a matchbook cover.

Jefferson Airplane

You will need:

* Matchsticks

* A knife

1. Split the end of a match so it forms a "Y" shape

2. Pull apart just enough to wedge a roach in between.

I just know one thing. I'm one of the 80 folks that have 420 as a issue date on there mj card as we where the first to turn them in at the mass turn-in in Lansing. Not maney of ya can say that hehehehehehehehehe

my issue date is 420 as well my friends think it fake. lol

Jefferson Airplane

You will need:

* Matchsticks

* A knife

1. Split the end of a match so it forms a "Y" shape

2. Pull apart just enough to wedge a roach in between.

Hi Back when we could smoke in jail we used to split matches so we would get two.Matches were harder to get than smokes.

http://en.wikipedia....abis_culture%29

see now i thought it was a greatful dead thing (dead heads) 4:20 meaning time to partake!

420 peace to all of you!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Jefferson Airplane

Great trivia question, thanks phaquetoo.

Back in the day... we used match-book covers- roll'em into a tube, insert roach in end, matches stay attached. Also, paper matches work the same as a a split wooden match.

Okay, I can't pass it up......along the "420" topic...

Per my signature...I host "freakin420.com". By NO means am I a webmaster, the

"420" domain name gives me a buzz so I play with it hoping that someone would like to turn it into more than just a half-as* blog...maybe a merchandising opportunity...? It's local...

(Forgive me for the self-promo...working on making ends meet)

Phaquetoo Im saying it is a Grateful Dead thing, straight up!

I will never believe some high school kids in 1971 randomly thought of this time to get high.

Hoffmans discovery of LSD-25 in 1943 and his time of dosage is well known and celebrated by many. He basically tripped at 4:20 into 4-20, you could say he was reborn on 4-20.

The importance of LSD in the struggle for enlightenment and revolution in the 20th century cannot be underestimated. When Bob Dylan talks about everybody must get stoned, he was talking obut L folks. In the 1960's it was revered by different groups as a sacrament and a symbol of the 5th freedom as Timothy Leary called it, the freedom to expand our conciousness. It played a major part in the happenings and culural shifts of America and especially California. The Dead was one original branch of this development. Some of the chemists wanted to make LSD for free and turn on the entire world. They were partly succesfull.

No wonder it was experimented with by the government and military for 20 years and then made illegal in 1968. Look at what happened to the underground movement right after LSD was made illegal: polluted with speed and heroin cocaine etc., organizations infiltated by police, violence, violent politicl groups, and and overall degeneration of the ideals of the 1960's.

Not to take away from the herb, but as far as the underground culture in California is concered 420 was about LSD first.

(sorry if I'm jacking your thread bubblegrower)

since nobody answered, i had to look it up :)

Circa the 1940s and '50s, a term for a roach-holder fashioned from a matchbook cover.

420Peace bubblegreower,

There is more than one explantion of the 'Jefferson Airplane'

Similair in that a burnt paper match is used.

On the unburnt end you split the paper up to the burnt end.

A airplane wing like look to hold your jay...

Archived