Making Butter For The First Time

Grow Thread

Looks yummy...

Annnie, we need to talk about some of your butter..

Hey y'all, I know it's part of the norm, but now that I think about it, boiling the mix, or even holding it near boiling for 30min seems like a great way to degrade THC compounds..

I wonder if bringing the water/butter up to temp, throwing in the plant matter and removing it from heat and allowing it steep to room temp, sans the long boil.

I wonder if it would work like quick wash ISO hash/oil.. get the best of the best, leave the rest..

Fat, just like alcohol act as a solvent to THC compounds.. So why the "long" boil anyway? The work should happen, very rapidly, under the heat circumstances, think about warm gooey resin on your fingers, now makes it boiling hot... melts quick..

Looks yummy...

Hey y'all, I know it's part of the norm, but now that I think about it, boiling the mix, or even holding it near boiling for 30min seems like a great way to degrade THC compounds..

I wonder if bringing the water/butter up to temp, throwing in the plant matter and removing it from heat and allowing it steep to room temp, sans the long boil.

I wonder if it would work like quick wash ISO hash/oil.. get the best of the best, leave the rest..

Fat, just like alcohol act as a solvent to THC compounds.. So why the "long" boil anyway? The work should happen, very rapidly, under the heat circumstances, think about warm gooey resin on your fingers, now makes it boiling hot... melts quick..

thats one of the reasons i think i am going to try the slow cooker next time. on the stovetop, i felt as though i had to watch over it every second, afraid it was going to go into too much of a boil and i would degrade THC. im thinking a slow cooker on low may do the trick. no idea, im new to all this :)

anyways, butter is done!!

i pulled it out of the fridge, twisted the bowl a bit to make a crack alond the edges, turned it over, and the water drained out.

when the chunk of butter fell out, it had some nasty looking brown creamy stuff on the underside that didnt look too edible, so i rinsed it off under water and then towel dried the big chunk.

i know about rewashing and all that stuff, but since this is my first time, im going to take baby steps :)

med_gallery_13801_60_237409.jpg

toaster is on right now!! breakfast is almost ready :)

oh man............ send recipes :)

i do not have the acquired taste yet. my nice pretty piece of toast turned into a peanutbutter filled doughball in my mouth that i winced, chewed, and swallowed with great speed.

im going to refrain from smoking for the next hour or so.............. i want to feel the full effect and see if i ate enough/too much.

You can almost remove the unpleasant flavors by making cannabis oil extract with a solvent such as ethanol. A bit more dangerous than making butter, yes, but not very if done correctly.

Beautiful looking butter BG, great job. Sure you enjoyed it, and will continue to. Don't let it put you to sleep before you fully enjoy the medicinal effects. It's always a battle for me to stay awake lol!

However, for next time...

Making butter boils off some of the THC, CBD, CBN, etc. It's unavoidable at those temps. A minimal loss perhaps, but worth noting.

The extracted oil can be used to "green" any butter or oil you wish, olive, canola oil, or my favorite, coconut! If you use a small toddler medicine syringe (1-10ml) like the kind available at the Target Pharmacy for free (tell 'em you need it for a cannabis oil extraction for cancer patients, they rock, still gave me a few.)

Butter too strong? Use less oil, not strong enough? Use more. Dosage is pretty easy to gauge, with about an 11:1 reduction ratio in weight to volume (110 grams makes about 10 grams of oil). One grain of rice, as recommended on Phoenixtears, three times daily is the starting regimen for a cancer patient. That's about the equivalent of 1.1g. of plant material.

Now if your brownie recipe (noticed I said recipe not mix) yields 16 yummy treats, you'll maybe want 0.3-1.0cc (cc same as ml, depends on what your medicine syringe reads, but the same) per brownie. Add that to the warmed butter, mix up the stuff, and to the OVEN!

Most recipes vary in their oil or butter content from one to the next, making one batch of butter not necessarily suitable for all recipes. With the addition of the oil in the mix, dosages can be more carefully controlled in the end product. Plus, you can add the oil to "accentuate" your dishes further. For example, I make my brownies with a powdered sugar & cocoa powder frosting, no butter, but you can bet your donkey I add oil to it. Doesn't affect the flavor, just the strength. For most patients, I use about 1.2 grams of oil per batch of 16 brownies, cut up into 8 squares, so double size for fun. That's about a 1/2 oz. worth of buds.

Remember too, the oil should ideally be made of the whole plant. You want as many of the cannabinoids in your system as you can get at one time to truly enjoy the benefits of the cannabis plant.

Now, some folks such as myself enjoy the taste of cannabis, but I have come across many people who do not. Such is life, fortunately we are working with such an amazing plant, and the pre-ingestion process options are wonderful.

What a great time to be alive.

Looks yummy...

Sub.. I am never more than a phone call away.. You can zoom up here today if you like.. :-)

I use a thermometer that i keep in the water the entire time and never let it get over 200 degrees.. so i was told that the thc doesnt become degraded below that temp.

As you know im more than willing to share.. you can bring ur lovely gf too.. :-)

Looks yummy...

It takes energy for the chemical bonds to be broken, for the cannabinoids to migrate to the lipids (fats). This would happen over time eventually if the butter and cannabis were allowed to contact for an indefinite amount of time.

Nature "loves and hates" order at the same time, however chaos (balance) will eventually prevail.

Temperature is a measure of random kinetic energy (movement). Increasing the temperature of a substance speeds up it's molecules, allowing it to get from Detroit to Cali quicker. The heat in butter making is to speed the reaction, or migration of the cannabinoids into the solution (butter in this case).

Cannabinoids are lipophyllic alcohols, or fatty alcohols. And good food too.

Sub.. I am never more than a phone call away.. You can zoom up here today if you like.. :-)

I use a thermometer that i keep in the water the entire time and never let it get over 200 degrees.. so i was told that the thc doesnt become degraded below that temp.

As you know im more than willing to share.. you can bring ur lovely gf too.. :-)

I may have to come out... Hurt my back yesterday moving water (changed all the systems)

When boiling the mixture, as long as a decent amount of water is maintained, the mix will never get over the boiling temperature.. The boiling maintains 210-212*

It takes energy for the chemical bonds to be broken, for the cannabinoids to migrate to the lipids (fats). This would happen over time eventually if the butter and cannabis were allowed to contact for an indefinite amount of time.

Nature "loves and hates" order at the same time, however chaos (balance) will eventually prevail.

Temperature is a measure of random kinetic energy (movement). Increasing the temperature of a substance speeds up it's molecules, allowing it to get from Detroit to Cali quicker. The heat in butter making is to speed the reaction, or migration of the cannabinoids into the solution (butter in this case).

Cannabinoids are lipophyllic alcohols, or fatty alcohols. And good food too.

Ahhh, another Scienteest... :thumbsu:

Understood it takes energy to break the chemical bonds, BUT, does it take TIME??

The energy easily comes from the initial temperature change and even if the mix was pulled from the heat right away, there is still heat left over, for a fairly long amount of time.

I'm just saying, maybe it isn't necessary to HOLD the temp for so long, allowing more chance for degradation..

I guess nobody really knowing the speed in which the resins break down and releases the THC compounds into the butter, makes this all a moot point honestly... I just like creating thought..

Who's to say the compounds don't break down almost instantly? Maybe it takes time..

Who, besides me, can test this? I will in a few months, if my issues right themselves..

...Ahhh, another Scienteest... :thumbsu:

Understood it takes energy to break the chemical bonds, BUT, does it take TIME??

The energy easily comes from the initial temperature change and even if the mix was pulled from the heat right away, there is still heat left over, for a fairly long amount of time.

I'm just saying, maybe it isn't necessary to HOLD the temp for so long, allowing more chance for degradation..

I guess nobody really knowing the speed in which the resins break down and releases the THC compounds into the butter, makes this all a moot point honestly... I just like creating thought..

Who's to say the compounds don't break down almost instantly? Maybe it takes time..

Who, besides me, can test this? I will in a few months, if my issues right themselves..

All good points, as you have stated. We have yet to answer those questions. Logic suggests that a longer heat time will destroy the targeted extraction compounds, however if the plant material is to be removed, we need to find a happy middle ground.

To answer your last question, perhaps me, or US! Perhaps we will be working together lol!

You thinking dual quad-pole for resolution accuracy?? ME TOO!!

Please check your messages, PM sent.

Guest thequietone

And although a slowcooker MIGHT afford you less participation in adjusting the heat it is a real pain to pour it thru the strainer out of..

I use a cooker with a removable bowl makes it easier to pour the butter out.

I will post that cookie recipe here as soon as I write it up in word.

I use a heavy glazed bowl on top of a small slow cooker for a double boiler effect :)

And to make the draining off easier... I bundle the herb in cheesecloth before cooking it up, and use two pairs of tongs to manipulate the packet after cooking... much less messy than pouring out into a strainer and bundling/squeezing after the cooking :)

about 60 minutes after eating i stood up to use the bathroom.

it was like eating acid 20 years ago :)

eat, forget about it for awhile, and then BOOM!!!

i was a little loopy and lethargic to say the least :)

having work to do, i had to drink some coffee and fight the urge to take my butt back to bed.

i am more than pleased.

i may go ahead and rewash it just to dump some of the flavor, and i can see a batch of brownies in my near future........... but its going to be an after-dinner thing from now on for me.

its 5 hours later and i still feel fuzzy :)

• 6 months later...

Love this thread..... very helpful!!

Wish someone would do the slow cooker one, stepped out like this one...

slow cooker you get oil vs butter... I'm just confused need to do some more reading I guess? so many ?'s how much water per gram, how do I tell whats what.. I have read people tell me, but I'm the kinda guy that learns by doing or seeing, not so much by reading..

this way works I guess, but I think I need stronger more trim for mine.... anyone wanna get rid of some trim near the Detroit area PM me...please for real, looking for a 0z or so I guess?

I want the STRONGEST edible possible, The PT the medibles are for can't smoke, diatbetes complications effect his vision in his one good eye..

Trix :bong2:

Love this thread..... very helpful!!

Wish someone would do the slow cooker one, stepped out like this one...

slow cooker you get oil vs butter... I'm just confused need to do some more reading I guess? so many ?'s how much water per gram, how do I tell whats what.. I have read people tell me, but I'm the kinda guy that learns by doing or seeing, not so much by reading..

this way works I guess, but I think I need stronger more trim for mine.... anyone wanna get rid of some trim near the Detroit area PM me...please for real, looking for a 0z or so I guess?

I want the STRONGEST edible possible, The PT the medibles are for can't smoke, diatbetes complications effect his vision in his one good eye..

Trix :bong2:

Trix, I done some in the slow cooker last night. And now enjoying the fruits of my labor . First I like it to be dry and crumbly , next get a sieve or a fine metal strainer, some use a coffee grinder, I like the strainer, I believe you loose some of the good stuff in the grinder . If your trim and popcorn buds is not dry, you can put it in the oven at 180 to 200 degrees for ten min . and be careful with this part, have a window open, and add one cup 151 proof alcohol ,and a cup water and then ad in the butter too. Now, I heat cooker to 200 deg. (use a candy thermometer). I used two oz,. and one and a half pound of butter. Put a qtr. oz in the sieve and rub into a flour consistency until all is in the pot. I like to simmer until I can't smell any more alcohol , about six or seven hours. watch it so it is not boiling just moving a little, and stirring every 15 min or so. I give a tsp or two to a friend that has Diabetes, in the morning and at bed time , seems to help keep his blood sugar in check . and something that should help with leg pain, rubbing some canna-oil one or more times a day. I hope that helps .

Archived