Educate The Tea Party On Schuette

Whether one likes the laffer curve or not, the fact is that lower taxes actually bring in more revenue to the government coffers... ;) I am not suggesting we cut taxes completely, I just don't think that it is fair to have some folks paying marginal rates of 60% and up. I prefer a flat tax, with no write offs, or possibly some sort of consumption tax (aka some sort of sales tax on everything but necessities). That is a debate for another time though.

I am not even talking about cutting mandatory spending (medicare, social security). However, I wouldn't mind seeing the salaries and retirement plans of our elected officials to be restructured, perhaps even tied to the median income of the districts they represent, or the nation as a whole. Also, there is no reason for a 2 year congressmen to collect a pension for that 2 years of service.

Something does need to be done about social security, as we are about to get hit hard as the bulk of baby boomers become eligible to collect. Restructuring the world's largest ponzi scheme, would be a good thing. I am open to any suggestions on this one, as I too would love to be able to collect the money I have paid into it.

As for what should be cut, I am quite sure we could compile a list of several thousand programs that the feds should not be putting any money into. I can even think of a couple of agencies that could use some cuts made to their budgets, then add on top of that the savings from rescheduling of marijuana and no longer having to house folks for possession of pot.... you get the idea. :D

Here's the email i sent:

Hello.

My name is ------------- and my wife is a patient under Michigan's Medical Marijuana Law. The Medical Marijuana Law was passed by a 63% majority statewide and passed in every single county in the state. Thanks to this wonderful ballot initiative overwhelmingly approved by voters my wife is now free to obtain or produce the medicine she needs to treat her seizure disorder without having to deal with criminals and without fear of prosecution.

I was distressed to learn the Michigan Tea Party, who I once thought stood firm on individual rights and keeping government out of our business, has endorsed Republican Bill Schuette for Attorney General in Michigan.

Bill Schuette ran the campaign against the Medical Marijuana ballot initiative in 2008 and has repeatedly expressed disdain for the will of the people on this issue. I hope this is an honest mistake on the part of the MTP and that you and your fellow Tea Partiers will re-consider this endorsement of such a statist/authoritarian politician.

Thank you and I eagerly await your reply

----------------

Great job!

I will sit down and do this tonight for my wife and I as our stories are very similar.

Thanks,

Mizerman

Whether one likes the laffer curve or not, the fact is that lower taxes actually bring in more revenue to the government coffers... ;) I am not suggesting we cut taxes completely, I just don't think that it is fair to have some folks paying marginal rates of 60% and up. I prefer a flat tax, with no write offs, or possibly some sort of consumption tax (aka some sort of sales tax on everything but necessities). That is a debate for another time though.

I am not even talking about cutting mandatory spending (medicare, social security). However, I wouldn't mind seeing the salaries and retirement plans of our elected officials to be restructured, perhaps even tied to the median income of the districts they represent, or the nation as a whole. Also, there is no reason for a 2 year congressmen to collect a pension for that 2 years of service.

Something does need to be done about social security, as we are about to get hit hard as the bulk of baby boomers become eligible to collect. Restructuring the world's largest ponzi scheme, would be a good thing. I am open to any suggestions on this one, as I too would love to be able to collect the money I have paid into it.

As for what should be cut, I am quite sure we could compile a list of several thousand programs that the feds should not be putting any money into. I can even think of a couple of agencies that could use some cuts made to their budgets, then add on top of that the savings from rescheduling of marijuana and no longer having to house folks for possession of pot.... you get the idea. :D

We could start by cutting the Pentagon's budget by 50% - my preference would be by 2/3rds.

Two unwinnable bogus wars in terror.

Mizerman

p.s. we have far too many problems here in our own country to deal with without meddling into the affairs of others!

Sorry Rev but no the Laffer Curve has more holes than my net pots. :lol: However the agencies that everyone has mentioned needs cutting I can agree with. Truth is the only one that would really make a dent as Mizerman points out is the Pentagon which as I recall is around 50% of the discretionary spending.

I say we pass a law that there are no more wars that are not paid for. What they did during WWII was tax the rich at about 90%. Now the rich get no bid contracts and profit off the deaths of US servicemen. During WWII companies like Halburton were tried for profiteering during time of war. Everyone had to sacrifice not just the children of the poor and middle class.

Archived