Social Security Disability And Mmj?

pipefitterman

What I would like to know and have not been able to clarify is about he "award letter". Does is have to say specifically that it is SSD? I got an award letter yesterday and it says how much but nothing in the letter specificaly states "disability". Anyone know for sure?

You need something that states what you are receiving........ie: SSDI , SSI etc..........They need to know that the money isn't survivor benefits or something like that......HJ

Thank you for your reply..I guess I will have to go back again cause my letter says from Social Security Administration and nothing about disability even though I am on disability. It only states the amount I am receiving but nothing as to the purpose of receiving it.

Thank you for your reply..I guess I will have to go back again cause my letter says from Social Security Administration and nothing about disability even though I am on disability. It only states the amount I am receiving but nothing as to the purpose of receiving it.

mine has no reason just says disability. redemtion papers neither

you can do this online at ss website.

you will get your letter in a week to 10 days.

This is correct. And, Social Security simply does NOT care if anyone that receives Social Security Disability is also a medical marijuana patient here or an any of the other states that have similar laws to ours.

How do I know this to be a fact?

My wife and I are BOTH disabled and BOTH of us receive Social Security Disability Benefits. And, we are both card-holding Michigan Medical Marijuana patients...

Just wondering if this is a real question or one of our many plants wanting to strike FEAR into patients.

Just my opinion.

Mizerman

This is correct. And, Social Security simply does NOT care if anyone that receives Social Security Disability is also a medical marijuana patient here or an any of the other states that have similar laws to ours.

My wife and I are BOTH disabled and BOTH of us receive Social Security Disability Benefits. And, we are both card-holding Michigan Medical Marijuana patients...

Just wondering if this is a real question or one of our many plants wanting to strike FEAR into patients.

Just my opinion.

Mizerman

its a real question my friend, i am on SSD as well and the thought crossed my mind after reading that somewhere in michigan this guy was on SSD that worked for the state road commision i think, SSD cut him off. ive been looking for the article to no avail.. maybe some of the peeps reading this can help find it. i know im deaf but i see pretty good so i know i read it.... but i was medicated too! thats my story and im sticking to it lol.

So far I haven't heard anything about that, considering people on disability get a discount on app fees. It'd be interesting to know if there is a case like that happening.

Sb

I havent heard this either, wow that would suck most of us are prob on ssdi! Im paying the 100 this time any how, they dont just take my medicare card like last year they want an award letter, I dont know where that is, if you get into legal trouble and do 30 days in jail they cut you off, and you have to reapply,,unfortunatly I know this for fact!!

Peace

FTW

Jim

its a real question my friend, i am on SSD as well and the thought crossed my mind after reading that somewhere in michigan this guy was on SSD that worked for the state road commision i think, SSD cut him off. ive been looking for the article to no avail.. maybe some of the peeps reading this can help find it. i know im deaf but i see pretty good so i know i read it.... but i was medicated too! thats my story and im sticking to it lol.

ssd is disability, maybe he started making more than he was allowed to, and they dropped him for now, he is adding to what he will make when needed. ssdi is for people who cant work, they allow you to make a certain amount, (i dont care to know the amount) it took me 8 yrs of fighting to get it, im not going to go out and lose it!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Thanks for the tip. Just filled it out. I've paid full price twice already. Not next year.

Here's the link:

Proof of Income Letter

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/beve/

2d, Thanks for the link.

When links like these are provided it helps a lot of other people that may not be able to find them right off the bat.

Thanks again.

Guest 1TokeOverLine

ssd is disability, maybe he started making more than he was allowed to, and they dropped him for now, he is adding to what he will make when needed. ssdi is for people who cant work, they allow you to make a certain amount, (i dont care to know the amount) it took me 8 yrs of fighting to get it, im not going to go out and lose it!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Set the record straight - Social Security disability (SSDI) is based on working taxes and credits you have paid and earned. Supplimental Security Income (SSI) is based on the household income of those that earn less than the federal poverty level, it is designed to assist low income people that are disabled and can't work. Basically it is a state funded supplimental benefit based on need.

Social Security retirement and Social Security Disability are calculated on the work credits that you have paid into the system, whereas Supplimental Security Income is based on household need of those that can't work either temporarily or permanently, and their residence location. SSDI only pays out for permanent disability.

When you apply for Social Security, they by law must apply you for any and all benefits you may be eligible for. You must however, apply for Disability additionally. When you get your award letter you also get a letter with a PIN to enter on the web site where you can log on and check your personal, benefit and payment info and set up or change direct deposit. (When my Social Security changed to Disability the site reflected the change from Retirement to Disability. SSI information is handled by the state you live in and not available online (either application or information) and notifies you and pays you by mail to your address. (Hence you can't live in another state and get SSI direct deposited.)

Note that the Disability medical requirement tests for both SSDI and SSI are the same, if you are approved for SSI you are approved for SSDI providing that you have worked long enough to earn the credits to receive SSDI and your disability is long term or permanent.

1T

Set the record straight - Social Security disability (SSDI) is based on working taxes and credits you have paid and earned. Supplimental Security Income (SSI) is based on the household income of those that earn less than the federal poverty level, it is designed to assist low income people that are disabled and can't work. Basically it is a state funded supplimental benefit based on need.

Social Security retirement and Social Security Disability are calculated on the work credits that you have paid into the system, whereas Supplimental Security Income is based on household need of those that can't work either temporarily or permanently, and their residence location. SSDI only pays out for permanent disability.

When you apply for Social Security, they by law must apply you for any and all benefits you may be eligible for. You must however, apply for Disability additionally. When you get your award letter you also get a letter with a PIN to enter on the web site where you can log on and check your personal, benefit and payment info and set up or change direct deposit. (When my Social Security changed to Disability the site reflected the change from Retirement to Disability. SSI information is handled by the state you live in and not available online (either application or information) and notifies you and pays you by mail to your address. (Hence you can't live in another state and get SSI direct deposited.)

Note that the Disability medical requirement tests for both SSDI and SSI are the same, if you are approved for SSI you are approved for SSDI providing that you have worked long enough to earn the credits to receive SSDI and your disability is long term or permanent.

1T

1T, Great info... thank you.

Just my opinion.

Mizerman

Anecdotal but useful. There would probably have to be enabling legislation to permit the denial of SS benefits to medical marijuana patients. For example federally subsidized housing can be denied based on drug use but I am not aware that drug users anywhere are being denied Social Security by reason of drug use status.

I call moo-poo.

Archived