The Supreme Court Of Michigan- Vote For Davis And Morris Not Robert Young Jr.

The Supreme Court of Michigan vote for Davis and Morris not Robert Young Jr.

Justice facing re-election admits using N-word

In addition to voting for David Layton and Bernero it is important that you pull the lever for the Supreme Court Candidates that will enforce the law, and not legislate from the Bench.

Please vote for

Alton Davis

Denise Langford Morris

Make sure you Do Not vote for Robert Young jr. He is cut from the same cloth as Shutte, Oconnel.

DETROIT — A Michigan Supreme Court justice running for re-election acknowledged Friday that he used the N-word during a private conference with other justices in 2006.

Robert Young Jr. responded after former Justice Elizabeth Weaver gave a speech this week saying he used the racial slur and that it shows why he doesn't deserve another eight-year term on the court.

Young, who is black, told The Associated Press that he used the word during an "impassioned plea" to emphasize how someone was being treated "without rights, without dignity."

"I'm sorry that I used the term. ... Obviously I was very hot about this. That's why I used the word," Young said. "I remember the heat and the purpose for using it."

When pressed for details, he couldn't recall the case.

Young said Weaver's actions were an "outrage."

"This is despicable. Justice Weaver hasn't been called (the N-word) or been treated like one, but she finds it politically expedient to use it politically," Young said. "All of my family has experienced it including me."

In her speech in Traverse City, Weaver said Young used the slur in the plural form and was referring to a judicial candidate. She read from a May 2006 memo that she wrote and sent to all justices expressing disgust at Young's remarks and other "unprofessional" incidents.

"Perhaps everyone should imagine that the court's conferences are being televised," Weaver said. "The public would be appalled at how the court's business is often conducted."

She also said that in April 2006 Young suggested to another justice that he use the phrase, "you ignorant slut," when addressing the State Appellate Defender Commission. It was a phrase used years ago in a popular "Saturday Night Live" skit.

Young told the AP he couldn't recall saying that.

Weaver, a moderate Republican, and Young, a conservative Republican, regularly clashed on the court. She quit in August, allowing Gov. Jennifer Granholm to appoint a replacement that put the court in a solid 4-3 Democratic majority.

Weaver's speech and memo were posted on www.delayedjustice.com. Reached by phone Friday, she said she was golfing and couldn't comment further.

"They're waiting for me," she said of other golfers. "You've got plenty of material."

Young said Weaver's "rant" broke a rule that forbids disclosure of the Supreme Court's private discussions.

Michael(or anyone else),

The MI Supreme Court election is one race that I have not watched.

I confess to having a real lack of understanding of the issues as well as the candidates.

Is there anything else you can share with us besides a black man using the n word that could help me in deciding who to vote for Nov 2nd?

Here is a brief Bio of the candidates:

on line here: http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2010/09/30/news/politics/doc4ca4abe8e7076588856040.txt

News > Politics.MICHIGAN ELECTION PREVIEW: Supreme Court

Published: Thursday, September 30, 2010

0diggsdigg ShareThis0

Bios for Michigan Supreme Court candidates

The Associated Press

Biographical sketches of the candidates running for Michigan Supreme Court. Political parties nominate candidates for the Supreme Court, but the races appear as nonpartisan at the end of the ballot.

NAME: Alton Thomas "Tom" Davis

RESIDENCE: Grayling

PARTY: Democrat

EDUCATION: Graduated from North Central Michigan College and Western Michigan University. Law degree from Detroit College of Law, 1974.

CAREER: Michigan Supreme Court, August 2010-present; Michigan Court of Appeals, 2005-2010; 46th Circuit Court judge, 1985-2005, including 17 years as chief justice; private law practice, 1975-1984; part-time Crawford County prosecutor and assistant prosecutor, 1976-1980. He also also has been an English teacher and disc jockey.

PERSONAL: Married to Sandra Kay Shellfish; two grown daughters.

ONLINE: http://justicedavis.com/

NAME: Mary Beth Kelly

RESIDENCE: Grosse Ile Township

PARTY: Republican

EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in political science and history, University of Michigan-Dearborn, 1984; law degree, Notre Dame University, 1987.

POLITICAL CAREER: None

PROFESSIONAL CAREER: Wayne County Circuit Court judge 1999-present; Served as chief judge of the county court from 2002-2007. Formerly a commercial litigation partner with law firm Dickinson Wright in Detroit.

PERSONAL: Married to Kevin Kelly; one son.

ONLINE: http://www.marybethkellyforjustice.com

NAME: Denise Langford Morris

RESIDENCE: West Bloomfield

PARTY: Democrat

EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree, Wayne State University, 1975; master's degree in counseling, Wayne State University, 1978; law degree, University of Detroit Mercy, 1982.

PROFESSIONAL CAREER: Oakland County Circuit Court judge, 1992-present; assistant U.S. attorney, 1989-92; private law practice; Oakland County assistant prosecutor; state of Michigan social worker.

PERSONAL: One child.

NAME: Bob Roddis

RESIDENCE: Grosse Pointe Farms

PARTY: Libertarian

EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree, Michigan State University, 1974; law degree, Detroit College of Law, 1980; master of laws degree, Wayne State University law school, 1984.

PROFESSIONAL: Lawyer in private practice

PERSONAL: Three children.

ONLINE: http://www.roddisforjustice.com

NAME: Robert Young Jr.

RESIDENCE: Grosse Pointe Park

EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree, Harvard College, 1974; Law degree, Harvard Law School; 1977.

PROFESSIONAL CAREER: Appointed by then-Gov. John Engler to Michigan Supreme Court in 1999, elected in 2002; Michigan appeals court, 1995-99; general counsel, AAA Michigan, 1992-95; private law practice 1978-92.

PERSONAL: Married to Linda; two children.

ONLINE: http://justicebobyoung.com/

Here is some more

http://www.attorneybutler.net/2010/10/in-the-michigan-supreme-court-election-republicans-hope-for-uniformed-voters.html

October 12, 2010

IN THE MICHIGAN SUPREME COURT ELECTION, REPUBLICANS HOPE FOR UNINFORMED VOTERS

Last week I received a postcard from the Michigan Republican Party concerning the upcoming Supreme Court election. Part of it is shown above.

Aside from the usual stuff, "Bob Young and Mary Beth Kelly are for justice--the others ain't", one bit caught my particular attention. The ad reads, "Block Granholm's Attempt to Pack the Court. Governor Grahholm is trying to pack the court with liberal activist judges before she leaves office."

Really. When Governor Granholm took office in 2003, there were 5 Repbulicans on the 7 member Michigan Supreme Court. They included:

Clifford Taylor. Husband of Governor John Engler's chief legal counsel, Cliff Taylor, with no previous judicial experience, was appointed by John Engler, first to the Michigan Court of Appeals, and then to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Robert Young. Vice president, corporate secretary, and general counsel of insurer AAA Michigan, Robert Young, with no previous judicial experience, was appointed by John Engler, first to the Michigan Court of Appeals, and then to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Stephen Markman. Former US attorney appointed by President George Bush, Stephen Markman, with no previous judicial experience, was appointed by John Engler, first to the Michigan Court of Appeals, and then to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Maura Corrigan. Former US attorney, Maura Corrigan, with no previous judicial experience, was appointed by John Engler, first to the Michigan Court of Appeals, and then to the Michigan Supreme Court.

All five Republican Justices remained on the Michigan Supreme Court through the first 6 years of Governor Granholm's administration. She is term limited at 8 years.

Justice Taylor was defeated in an open election in November, 2008. The John Engler created lobbying group, the American Justice Partnership loves open judicial elections, ironically in Taylor's case. More about that in a later post.

Governor Granholm has made only one appointment to the Michigan Supreme Court, and the new Justice, former Court of Appeals Judge Alton Davis, appointed in the late summer of 2010, must run immediately for re-election this November.

So, Granholm's "packing" the Court? I don't think so. And the Republicans know, that when it comes to court packing, former Michigan Governor John Engler was the master. His appointments continue to affect Michigan law long after he left Michigan for a high paying lobbyist job.

But, the Republicans are pretty sure Michigan voters don't remember this, so, why let the truth get in the way of a good mud slinging.

I realize the Supreme Court vote is "for not more than 2". If anyone had anything personal against either Davis or Morris, I would suggest Roddis. He is a Libertarian. Libertarians are normally more anti-prohibition than Democrats--and far more than Rebublicans (the Libertarian's website shows "ending prohibition" as their 2nd step towards addressing America's crime problem... http://www.lp.org/issues/crime-and-violence). Because of that, I suspect he is far more in favor of the MMMP than Kelly or Young.

fyi, Roddis got over 10% of the vote last time, so don't feel like it's a wasted vote. Just don't vote for Young or Kelly.

I realize the Supreme Court vote is "for not more than 2". If anyone had anything personal against either Davis or Morris, I would suggest Roddis. He is a Libertarian. Libertarians are normally more anti-prohibition than Democrats--and far more than Rebublicans (the Libertarian's website shows "ending prohibition" as their 2nd step towards addressing America's crime problem... http://www.lp.org/issues/crime-and-violence). Because of that, I suspect he is far more in favor of the MMMP than Kelly or Young.

fyi, Roddis got over 10% of the vote last time, so don't feel like it's a wasted vote. Just don't vote for Young or Kelly.

This election is too crucial to waste a vote in for seats on the Michigan Supreme Court to (in my opinion) waste it on a libertarian candidate.

This also is my opinion in the attorney general's race.

What if a vote for Roddis, took away a vote for Morris or Davis?

Mizerman

What if a vote for Roddis, took away a vote for Morris or Davis?

Mizerman

My post was meant to address a very similar situation to the question you raised. Agreed that under no circumstances should we vote for Kelly or Young. If in some unique cases, someone had some obscure reason to vote for either Morris OR Davis, but NOT for the other one, then they should cast their second vote for Roddis.

The AG race is a little different for my argument since we only vote for 1 AG. Absolutely agree there. And in my opinion, if we could only vote for one candidate on the entire ballot, it would be Leyton.

My post was meant to address a very similar situation to the question you raised. Agreed that under no circumstances should we vote for Kelly or Young. If in some unique cases, someone had some obscure reason to vote for either Morris OR Davis, but NOT for the other one, then they should cast their second vote for Roddis.

The AG race is a little different for my argument since we only vote for 1 AG. Absolutely agree there. And in my opinion, if we could only vote for one candidate on the entire ballot, it would be Leyton.

Amen friend.

The Leyton/Schuette race is the most important in our state.

Mizerman

p.s. we MUST make sure David Leyton is our next attorney general

Archived