Mmj And Travel

Hello All,

First off I am a supporter of the MMJ movment and am a registered caregiver myself.

Here is a new one for me, I work at an international airport in michgan, this morning as I was walking past the security check point I hear a person loudly arguing with TSA "What do you mean I can't take my MMJ on the aircraft" This of course attracted the attention of the local DEA agents. It was at this time that the DEA politely told the man that he needed to dispose of or return his medication to his home.(decent thing for a FED to do) however he didn't want comply. (playing with fire) At this time the DEA agents I'm sure were losing patients with him. Long story short he quit arguing just in time to keep from being arrested was not allowed to take his MMJ and the man had to get a different flight at a later time. The moral of this story is don't push your luck and use common sense. If yoiu need to be medicated to fly then do it before you get to the airport. This is exactly the type of issue that can cause major issues for the MMJ movement, and create bad press and excuses for the LEO to hassel us. So USES YOUR HEADS! I hate to see people leaving openings for the LEO's to pick at us and resons to ammend the law.

First off MMJ is not legal under federal law (mistake number 1)

Second The moment you set foot on board an aircraft you are subject to the scrutiny of federal agents i.e TSA ,DEA, ATF and any other 3 letter acronym you can think of.

Third your attempting to transport MMJ accros state lines via airplane. (anyone see this being a problem other than me)

Hello All,

First off I am a supporter of the MMJ movment and am a registered caregiver myself.

Here is a new one for me, I work at an international airport in michgan, this morning as I was walking past the security check point I hear a person loudly arguing with TSA "What do you mean I can't take my MMJ on the aircraft" This of course attracted the attention of the local DEA agents. It was at this time that the DEA politely told the man that he needed to dispose of or return his medication to his home.(decent thing for a FED to do) however he didn't want comply. (playing with fire) At this time the DEA agents I'm sure were losing patients with him. Long story short he quit arguing just in time to keep from being arrested was not allowed to take his MMJ and the man had to get a different flight at a later time. The moral of this story is don't push your luck and use common sense. If yoiu need to be medicated to fly then do it before you get to the airport. This is exactly the type of issue that can cause major issues for the MMJ movement, and create bad press and excuses for the LEO to hassel us. So USES YOUR HEADS! I hate to see people leaving openings for the LEO's to pick at us and resons to ammend the law.

First off MMJ is not legal under federal law (mistake number 1)

Second The moment you set foot on board an aircraft you are subject to the scrutiny of federal agents i.e TSA ,DEA, ATF and any other 3 letter acronym you can think of.

Third your attempting to transport MMJ accros state lines via airplane. (anyone see this being a problem other than me)

Can someone please pass me that plate of Crow over there so I can eat it!.......lol

Ok so after I posted this I went on a mission to find out exactly what LEO and TSA have to say on the matter. I spoke with the head of TSA and several Srgt. for airport police and this is what I was told this:

TSA: As long as the passenger has thier card or paperwork and are within the legal limits of the law they do not have to report to Leo's as a controld substance and will be allowed through the security check points.

Local LEO: As long as the passenger has thier paperwork and have amounts that are within legal limits they will not be stoped or harrased (I am sure this varies a bit on the officer)

I also asked what if they are travelong to a state that does not have MMJ legislation and I was told that that would be the recieving states issue.

Local LEO:

So I retract my previous post and regret that I commented in such hast.............I dont mind being wrong sometimes......It just makes it feel that much better when I am right !

However I would still approach this situation with caution.

I thought Skolar Steve posted on this website months ago he called TSA officials at DTW and said they told him specifically that they would allow it at DTW, furthermore, TSA agents have no authority to do anything other than inform local officials. At that point, its up to them as to whats going to happen. If these were specifically DEA agents as opposed to the local Detroit Police officers that normally sit around the security check points...then that might of been one reason for that type of reaction. Lets not forgot, Oakland International airport has a specifically policy on the books (still under federal regulations correct?) that allows any California approved medical marijuana user to get onboard with up to 8 ounces of MM. The policy does say that any medicine must be secured and kept in your CHECKED baggage, not the bags your carrying through the security check point, they obviously dont want you sneaking any meds out while enroute or possibly trading some away.

Word of advise if your going to try and travel with MM via DTW. Keep to your PERSONAL limit or under, i would take an extra step to help reduce the smell and go ahead and vacuum bag it up, or at least double seal it. When you land in your arriving or connecting city, you dont want your bag stinking anyways. I would also make a copy of both your drivers license and patient card, and as another precaution i would list the number for the MDCH MMP, and make it as easy as possible for them to verify your indeed a patient and how they can exactly validate that.

Beyond that, if they tell you to take it back home and that you couldnt fly with it, id be fine with that as well.

I bet some of this was traveled with :) The original caption read "US Marines from Fox Company 2nd Battalion 3rd Marines patrol through a field of marijuana during day three of Operation Germinate into the restive Bhuji Bhast Pass in Farah Province, southern Afghanistan, on October 9, 2009. "

610xg.jpg

I bet some of this was traveled with :) The original caption read "US Marines from Fox Company 2nd Battalion 3rd Marines patrol through a field of marijuana during day three of Operation Germinate into the restive Bhuji Bhast Pass in Farah Province, southern Afghanistan, on October 9, 2009. "

610xg.jpg

Passing through, I think they are guarding it!! Huh?

Common sense above all else should kick in at some point, if you are going to get on a plane thats taking you somewhere that does not have medical marijuana or somewhere that does not accept our cards, why take it?

Once you have entered the terminal, the laws of the destination apply. Even at transfer points.

If you get on a flight that has a non mmj state as the destination, then the laws of that non mmj state apply. Even if you have not arrived yet.

Once you have entered the terminal, the laws of the destination apply. Even at transfer points.

If you get on a flight that has a non mmj state as the destination, then the laws of that non mmj state apply. Even if you have not arrived yet.

Exactly, and that is how I would treat it, my brain kicks in and says maybe I shouldn't take this lol, unfortunately some peoples do not tell them that.

Archived