Light Differences?

jmsdetroit

Im working on getting started with my first ever grow, but im kind of on a tight budget. So i am wondering is there a difference between the metal halide lights they sell at my local hydro store vs the metal halide lights that are used to light factories, gyms, etc.? From what i understand they all need ballasts, correct? The reason im asking is because i came across an ad on craigslist for 400W Metal Halide Lights for 50 bucks each. Will these work? Im thinking of buying two then buying a hps conversion bulb and running both for my first grow. Any advice is greatly appreciated Thnks.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/2027179745.html

Im working on getting started with my first ever grow, but im kind of on a tight budget. So i am wondering is there a difference between the metal halide lights they sell at my local hydro store vs the metal halide lights that are used to light factories, gyms, etc.? From what i understand they all need ballasts, correct? The reason im asking is because i came across an ad on craigslist for 400W Metal Halide Lights for 50 bucks each. Will these work? Im thinking of buying two then buying a hps conversion bulb and running both for my first grow. Any advice is greatly appreciated Thnks.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/2027179745.html

Same thing to my knowledge.

once again. great info from everybody, and you are headed in the right direction!!

i would stay away from conversion lamps at all cost though. they cost more than regular lamps, and they will lessen your lumens/wattage by 10-15% and arent the most efficient things in the world.

those same MH set-ups that you found that light factories??? the same thing, only HPS is used for most street lights and lower lit factories as well.

you can find HPS ballasts on a budget just like those MH's you found.

and yup, they will work just fine.

here's pretty much what i use for vegging in the little room. same thing. a couple 400w MH that have been converted from a factory setting. but i bought better lamps for them.

med_gallery_13801_60_1363485.jpg?t=50530333