18 Year Old Wants Card

Yogini

Having the card will likely keep him out of jail, but...

Anytime he has to get a drug test (school or job) he will likely test positive and be subject to the rules of that school or employer. Either can discriminate against him legally if they choose to and there is little you can do about it.

Testing positive can get him kicked out of school or fired from a job. They won't give a dam about a card.

Unfair, yes. That's the country we live in.

Having the card will likely keep him out of jail, but...

Anytime he has to get a drug test (school or job) he will likely test positive and be subject to the rules of that school or employer. Either can discriminate against him legally if they choose to and there is little you can do about it.

Testing positive can get him kicked out of school or fired from a job. They won't give a dam about a card.

Unfair, yes. That's the country we live in.

But he would be in much better shape with the card than without.

BTW is it common practice to drug test school students these days?

No doubt.

Trouble for high school, 18yo's, etc. is, if you get your Michigan card, you are stuck with going to college in Michigan only. Rules out everything else, unless you take your chances.

Mr. Wilson brings up a good point. It would be somewhat pointless for your son to get a card if he was going to college outside of MI because he can only use medical marijuana in the state of Michigan with his card. I have heard, though, that the state of CA accepts MI cards, too. You might want to double-check on this before taking my word and also see if any of the other 15 states that have legalized marijuana allow MI cards.

As far as jeopardizing your son's chance of getting into college, I personally don't see a huge problem here. I just graduated and am attending law school soon and haven't experienced any problems.

Perhaps a lawyer who specializes in this field can provide consultation on the issue? Good luck :)

I am not sure how relevant this may or may not be, but worth putting out there.... If your son is getting any federal aid for college tuition.... “any student who has been convicted of any offense under any Federal or State law involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance shall not be eligible to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance under…[federal law]”. I don't know how that might play into his decision or like I said, if it is even relevant, but it would certainly be a concern of mine. I am not sure how the state law will factor into the federal portion of it....Perhaps someone else here does, if that is relevant. To be honest, if I was receiving federal grant money, I would be very cautious either way!! But that is just a personal opinion.

EMU has banned medical marijuana on campus My link. It seems like having a card won't help you on most Michigan campuses except maybe U of M. I go to Western and do NOT feel safe with my meds on campus.

My brother goes to Western also and has his patient card. He lives in an apartment complex and a cop came a knockin' one evening. He said he heard loud noises from his place and wanted to make sure everything was "Okay". He really had just smelled my brother's smoke pouring from his window and fabricated a way to hassle him. My brother was the only one home.

When my brother answered the door, the cop asked "Do you have a medical card for that marijuana", he could obviously smell it, but it wasn't in sight. My brother responded, "Why, yes I do sir and here it is." The cop looked at it and said Okay and left.

I told him to be more careful. I'm sure that outcome doesn't happen all the time, so I thought it was kind of cool.

If he is already a cannabis user then he probably has friends who are recreational users and will subject him to severe pressure to be the hookup guy for the group. If any of his teenage buddies get caught by LEO you can bet your behind they will roll on him perhaps even if he didn't supply in that instance. The cops will grill those kids for info. Someone will crack and your boy is the one who has the most to lose.

If he is already a cannabis user then he probably has friends who are recreational users and will subject him to severe pressure to be the hookup guy for the group. If any of his teenage buddies get caught by LEO you can bet your behind they will roll on him perhaps even if he didn't supply in that instance. The cops will grill those kids for info. Someone will crack and your boy is the one who has the most to lose.

This might be pushing it a bit but if your son is smart he will not tell his teenage buddies about his medical status for this reason.

It is not going to affect public schooling in Michigan although you specifically cannot medicate at school.

As to the question of drug testing in school- that is a good one! So you have your card, legally under Michigan law and they want to penalize you for legally medicating. I will just bet you win that case. Also, normally drug testing is limited to those engaging in after school activities. They can't just throw you out of school but they may be able to prevent you from any after-school activities (but my money is on winning that case ultimately).

As for workplace, yes they can punish you (or refuse to hire) for testing positive for marijuana. However, they have no way of knowing if you have a card or not.

As for the school entry questions, there is no downside for public colleges unless he is in college athletics. Public colleges do not drug test although private colleges may.

Finally, if you are convicted of any drug crime you don't get any student loans from the fed-Nazis. However, medical marijuana status does not affect student loan status (so far and looking good for the future!).

Archived