Thc Versus Cbd?

hshlvr

There was an excellent article in Science News a few months ago:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/59872/title/Not_just_a_high

...in which it is stated that the other main component of Cannibis, cannabidiol, or CBD, has anti-infammitory properties. But because It mitigates the THC effect....

"... CBD has paid a price for this anti-upper effect. “CBD has essentially been bred out of North American black market drug strains,” Russo says. People growing cannabis for its recreational qualities have preferred plants high in THC, so people lighting up for medical purposes, whether to boost appetite in AIDS patients or alleviate cancer pain, may be missing a valuable cannabis component."

Anyone have any knowledge about this and about which strains might have more CBD?

Thanks

There's loads of info out there, you can try to get some landrace seeds, also ruderalis supposedly has high CBD, so perhaps some of the autoflowering strains carry over a high %.

CBD seems way overlooked, and many have a puzzled look when it's mentioned. My search led me to World of Seeds Ketama strain, which they claim has a 5% CBD content, which isn't stellar but I'm giving her a go. Seems to be a slow grower, only about 8-10" at day 54 veg.

CBD also causes cancerous cells to undergo apoptosis, natural programmed cell death. It is though to use a different channel entirely from THC, which gives much credence to a "whole plant" extract high in not only THC, but CBD, and as many other cannabinoids as possible.

Then, warm it with some hemp milk, incorporating all the benefits of natures SUPERFOOD, the hemp seed.

Thanks for the reply! I think I still have some old super early mighty mite seeds around somewhere, (I have germinated 10 year old seeds, so you never know). You say lots of info is out there, any suggestions as to where?

Thanks again

Pasted from http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/25277-specific-strain-to-symptom-guide/page__p__228551#entry228551

"CBD is an anti-inflammatory, causes cancer cells to go through natural programmed cell death-apoptosis, anti-emetic (anti vomiting), anti-psychotic, etc.

Quick first link:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Cannabidiol

Pasted:

"Cannabidiol

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Cannabidiol

Systematic (IUPAC) name

2-[(1R,6R)-6-isopropenyl-3-methylcyclohex-2-en-1-yl]-5-pentylbenzene-1,3-diol

Identifiers

CAS number 13956-29-1

ATC code noentry

PubChem CID 644019

DrugBank none

ChemSpider 24593618

Chemical data

Formula C21H30O2

Mol. mass 314.46

SMILES eMolecules & PubChem

Physical data

Melt. point 66 °C (151 °F)

Boiling point 180 °C (356 °F)

(Range: 160°C-180°C) [1]

Therapeutic considerations

Pregnancy cat. ?

Legal status Schedule II (Can)

Unscheduled (USA)

Cannabidiol (CBD) is a cannabinoid found in Cannabis. It is a major constituent of the plant, representing up to 40% in its extracts.[2]

It has displayed sedative effects in animal tests.[3] Some research, however, indicates that CBD can increase alertness.[4] It may decrease the rate of THC clearance from the body, perhaps by interfering with the metabolism of THC in the liver.

Medically, it has been shown to relieve convulsion, inflammation, anxiety, and nausea, as well as inhibit cancer cell growth[5] Recent studies have shown cannabidiol to be as effective as atypical antipsychotics in treating schizophrenia.[6] Studies have also shown that it may relieve symptoms of dystonia.[7][8]

In November 2007, it was reported that CBD reduces growth of aggressive human breast cancer cells in vitro and reduces their invasiveness.

A 2008 study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry showed significant differences in Oxford-Liverpool Inventory of Feelings and Experiences scores between three groups: The first consisted of non-cannabis users, the second consisted of users with Δ9-THC detected, and the third consisted of users with both Δ9-THC and CBD detected. The Δ9-THC only group scored significantly higher for unusual experiences than the Δ9-THC and CBD group, whereas the Δ9-THC and CBD group had significantly lower introvertive anhedonia scores than the Δ9-THC only group and non-cannabis user group. This research indicates that CBD acts as an anti-psychotic and may counteract the potential effects of THC on individuals with latent schizophrenia.[9]

Medicinal use

Cannabidiol is shown to decrease activity of the limbic system[10] and to decrease social isolation induced by THC.[11]

In April 2005, Canadian authorities approved the marketing of Sativex, a mouth spray for multiple sclerosis to alleviate pain. Sativex contains tetrahydrocannabinol together with cannabidiol. It is marketed in Canada by GW Pharmaceuticals.

Studies have shown that CBD may reduce schizophrenic symptoms in patients, likely due to their apparent ability to stabilize disrupted or disabled NDMA receptor pathways in the brain, which are shared and sometimes contested by norepinephrine and GABA.[6][12] Leweke et al. performed a double blind, 4 week, explorative controlled clinical trial to compare the effects of purified cannabidiol and the atypical antipsychotic amisulpride on improving the symptoms of schizophrenia in 42 patients with acute paranoid schizophrenia. Both treatments were associated with a significant decrease of psychotic symptoms after 2 and 4 weeks as assessed by Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale and Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale. While there was no statistical difference between the two treatment groups, cannabidiol induced significantly less side effects (extrapyramidal symptoms, increase in prolactin, weight gain) when compared to amisulpride.[13]

Cannabidiol has also been shown as being effective treating an often drug-induced set of neurological movement disorders known as dystonia.[8] In one study, five out of five participants showed noted improvement in their dystonic symptoms by 20-50%.[7]

[edit] Pharmacology

Cannabidiol has no affinity for CB1 and CB2 receptors but acts as an indirect antagonist of cannabinoid agonists.[5] Recently it was found to be an antagonist at the putative new cannabinoid receptor, GPR55, a GPCR expressed in the caudate nucleus and putamen.[14] Cannabidiol has also been shown to act as a 5-HT1A receptor agonist,[15] an action which is involved in its antidepressant,[16][17] anxiolytic,[17][18] and neuroprotective[19][20] effects.

Cannabidiol has also been shown to inhibit cancer cell growth with low potency in non-cancer cells. Although the inhibitory mechanism is not yet fully understood, Ligresti et al. suggest that "cannabidiol exerts its effects on these cells through a combination of mechanisms that include either direct or indirect activation of CB2 and TRPV1 receptors, and induction of oxidative stress, all contributing to induce apoptosis."[21] In November 2007, researchers at the California Pacific Medical Center reported that CBD shows promise for controlling the spread of metastatic breast cancer. In vitro CBD downregulates the activity of the gene ID1 which is responsible for tumor metastasis.[22]

[edit] Chemistry

Cannabidiol is insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents. At room temperature it is a colorless crystalline solid.[23] In strongly basic medium and the presence of air it is oxidized to a quinone.[24] Under acidic conditions it cyclizes to THC.[25] The synthesis of cannabidiol has been accomplished by several research groups.[26][27][28]

[edit] Biosynthesis

Cannabis, produces CBD-carboxylic acid through the same metabolic pathway as THC, until the last step, where CBDA synthase performs catalysis instead of THCA synthase.[29]

[edit] Legal Status

In Canada Cannabidiol is a Schedule 2 Drug, a category that encompasses quantities of cannabis less than 30 grams, and various related synthetic derivatives and preparations.[30] In the United States it is unscheduled. Only cannabis (the plant itself) and the tetrahydrocannabinol cannabinoids are listed in DEA Drug Scheduling.[31]"

There is more research on THC and it's benefits, so that will be easier.

Here are some links I had bookmarked

http://strainreview.com/

http://www.cpmc.org/...ience/sean.html

http://www.druglibra...emp/mjmedhb.htm

http://www.rollitup....-does-what.html

Enjoy the journey, share the knowledge with any who will listen... "

Yes the Cannatonic from Resin Seeds has a 6.92% CBD content with 6.2% THC. It's getting hard to find as resellers run out and can't get restock. Some resellers have raised their prices for Cannatonic also. I tried 4 different seed banks before I found it. I would order then get a email a few days latter telling me they were out of Cannatonic! www.sensibleseeds.com (highly recommended)and www.rastaseeds.com have the feminized version. and www.weedworld.com has both the feminized and the regular versions. As of last weekend.

"Juanita la Lagrimosa" (look her up on facebook)from Reggae Seeds (affiliated with Elite seeds) is another high CBD strain it has an 8.81% CBD content. You can find it at http://www.greenlifeseeds.com/index.php/Reggae-Seeds/Juanita-la-Lagrimosa it was released a few months ago.

Juanita la Lagrimosa

Very Special strain. Extremly high CBD levels make this the ideal strain for most medical uses. Citris/Hazy aromas with fruity hash tastes leaves you with a very "up" cerebral high.

10 feminized seeds

Genetics: Mexican/Afghani x Reina Madre Sativa 75% / Indica 25%

Indoor: 60 / 65 days

Outdoor: 1 - 15 October

Indoor yield: 400 / 600 Gr/m²

Outdoor yield: 700 - 1000 Gr / plant

I'll have both strains growing soon.

• 2 weeks later...

We are growing some. Documented on this thread; http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/22792-cannatonic-or-resin-seeds/

As some of you probably know, Big Pharma is jumping on the med mar bandwagon in a more serious way (more than Marinol) with the new product called Sativex. Sativex is a mouth spray approved for use in the UK but not anywhere near being approved in the USA (needless to say).

Sativex is the only manufactured product claiming this 1:1 ratio between THC and CBD. The problem with Sativex, besides being not able to get it in a third world country like the USA (yes that's what we are becoming when it comes to science), is the cost. About $4500 a year if you used the max. amount daily for pain.

That is why plants like cannatonic, are important. A low cost alternative to more Big Pharma overpriced products.

Because cannatonic has a lower than average level of THC (6-7%) compared to other strong hybrids (15-20%), it would in most cases be set aside. But because it has this super high CBD level (6-7%) compared to most other strains which usually fall in the .5 to 2% range, it has potential to be a significant medical strain.

We are on the brink of new developments in Medical Marijuana products.

If Sativex works well for many pain patients it will change the landscape.

The questions to answer in the future will be:

--Can natural plants like cannatonic compete with products like Sativex in effectiveness?

--Will Sativex work so well and become so cheap later on, that it will make growing marijuana at home for medicine obsolete? In which case I'm guessing that Medical Marijuana home grow laws like ours will also become obsolete.

--What if Sativex and plants like cannatonic are so effective, because the real formula for pain management is this 1:1 ratio THC to CBD?

--What if a plant with 7% CBD and 7% THC is better than your White Widow (at 22% THC)at fighting pain? Would you give up your White Widow pain fighting "HIGH" for a better pain fighting plant that did not get you very stoned but relieved pain better?

This is one of the next big things to happen in medical marijuana, because it has huge political ramifications. Will Sativex destroy home grown medical marijuana as we know it?

If cannatonic and like plants are better at fighting pain and other ailments than the newer maxed out THC plants like Widow, we may see a split in the Med Mar community or we may see every legitimate patient moving over to strains like cannatonic and the people who just want that super duper stone high sticking with the Widow and like.

If you really seek CBD content then you actually would be better growing a (French if you can) hemp plant.

High CBDs and high THC do not exist in the same plant as far as I am aware, it is a choice of one or the other.

Some mix the 2 together for medication.

• 2 weeks later...

In reference to the longer reply above, would one necessarily have to "give up white widow" to utilize cannatonic etc.? In other words, does THC interfere with the absorption of CBD as CBD interferes with THC absorption?

You could use the cannatonic and add as much supplemental THC in the form of whatever you like, thus satisfying those who need a super high THC level and the pro-longing effect of the CBD's.

The best of both worlds.

If you really seek CBD content then you actually would be better growing a (French if you can) hemp plant.

High CBDs and high THC do not exist in the same plant as far as I am aware, it is a choice of one or the other.

Some mix the 2 together for medication.

Same here. There is nothing stopping people from mixing hemp product with high THC product. But I don't think you need the Hemp. If you have a Cannatonic and White Widow, just get a mix you like.

The trick is getting the right mix of these ingredients:

Delta 9-Tetrahydracannabinol is the principal psychoactive ingredient. All cannabis contains at least some Delta 9-THC, although Industrial Hemp will contain only minute traces. Most Cannabis grown for the Marijuana will contain more, some cannabis plants weighing in at 25% Delta 9-THC.

Delta 8-THC can also be found, but usually in very low concentrations, so most breeders and researchers ignore this compound and concentrate on the more abundant and potent Delta 9-THC.

Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, appears in virtually all forms of cannabis; though the amounts vary from a trace to 95% of the plant. CBD is the compound found to give the sedative effect to the 'high' experienced.

CBD, it is also found, has the tendency to delay the 'high', but also to prolong the 'high'.

Whether CBD increases or decreases the force of the 'high', depends on the individual cannabis smoker.

Cannabinol, or CBN is produced as THC oxidises or degrades. Only a trace amount appears in fresh buds, but stored or cured (dried) buds and Hashish tends to have higher amounts of CBN because the THC had degraded in the process of preparing the buds and the making of Hashish. CBN has been found to be the compound that gives the cannabis smoker a disoriented, sleepy or groggy effect. This is referred to as a 'stupefying high'. At best, CBN contains only 10% of the psychoactive effect of the original Delta 9-THC.

THCV, or Tetrahydrocannabivarin, is the compound associated with the fragrance of the cannabis plants. Very pungent smelling cannabis plants usually contain high amounts of THCV. It is also found in very potent marijuana that originates in southeast and central Asia, as well as regions of Africa. These high concentrations of THCV will make the 'high' come on quicker but last for less time.

Cannabichromene, or CBC makes up to 20% of the cannabinoid compound of the cannabis plant. Though little research has been done, scientists and professional breeders think that CBC might interact with THC to make for a more intense 'high'.

--------------------------------------------

This is where the government could have actually helped the people of this country (I know,,,a strange concept), by supplying the millions of dollars it would take to separate, study and then recombine these components into medical products for different ailments.

Thank you, thank you. The most helpful input yet, and many others have been helpful indeed.

As to your somewhat political comment at the end, The thought of the government helping people, (other than the filthy stinkin' rich), has sadly become a strange concept, thanks to Reagan and Bush who have somehow gotten people to believe that government is bad, (not to say that it hadn't become bloated and somewhat ineffective). I saw a great cartoon recently of a guy saying something to the effect: "As a potential lottery winner I support extending the Bush tax cuts".

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The literature that I have read recently points to the "Afganica" varieties as the high producer of CBDs. Strains like Hash Plant and those that are crossed with Afgan varieties. According to Jorge Cervantes they are now trying to classify the "Afganica" varieties in a league of thier own because of this, rather than lump them in with Indicas which may not have as much CBD qualities. Although this is the first I have ever head of it.

http://www.marijuanagrowing.com/dhtml/books_bible.php Is what I am currently reading.

Afghanica strains do produce high levels of CBD, such as Black Domina from Sensi seeds. I used a nice sweet male to cross a bunch of strains with. CBD lets oxygen past the Blood Brain Barrier, which a higher CBD strain may exhibit a "Head rush" effect. Sativas also have higher CBD contents which make you feel the lift. there was a Brittish study back in the late 90's that proved people who suffered head trauma in car accidents that had CBD in their system suffered little/none long term brain injury, milliseconds after the trauma oxygen is allowed to pass the Blood Brain Barrier, whereas the people who had no CBD in their system had lack of oxygen during/after the injury resulting in brain damage. Makes sense to me... driving without medication would just be boring, thank god it was the 90s since I was out. :rolleyes: protect yourself..drive happy :thumbsu: Cant wait till they figure the amazing effects of the other 400+ chemical compounds.

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Didn't see Turpines mentioned (or I missed it), many turpine combinations contribute to a strains' effectiveness for certain body systems. Most are overlooked as concentration is on the THC/CBD ratios.

1T

• 9 months later...

Was gonna try Cannatonic then read an article where it reportedly has 14 pheno's and only 1 has the magic 1:1 ratio on cbd to thc.

Guess some growers grew bunch and sent in all for testing , like 200k worth , lol , to isolate that pheno.

The THC / CBD ratio will very from seed to seed for any strain. The grow environment can even influence the THC / CBD ratio of clones of the same plant.

Generally speaking ... A THC:CBD ratio of 1:1 or higher on the CBD side will get you medicinal benefits without much of a "high". A THC:CBD ratio of 2:1 (10% THC, 5% CBD) produce that indica couch-lock "high". Stains with no CBD and high THC produce a sativa mind soaring "high". Adding high THC BHO to some high CBD buds can produce what I call a super-couch-lock "high".

If you breed / grow then look for plants that look and smell good but don't actually produce much of a "high" ... have it tested because it maybe a high CBD plant.

I have been breeding for CBD and THC for some time. for what its worth to whoever may be interested I have a strain that was tested in Austraila and in spain as extreamly high in CBD% as well as maintaining a strong THC percentage. These test results vary from place to place and there is still a lot of confusion and misinformation about THC?CBD and thier relationship as well as other Cannabinoids.

it is not productive in my opinion to attempt to isolate the CBD from the THC for "all" medical uses. the presence of THC as well as the paticular effect of that certain THC from the available genetic will have the ability to change the effect of the CBD on the patient. Thus a high CBD from a Indica dominate genetic like Mighty Mite will have a sedetive quality from the THC and a anti-nausea quality from the CDB, this works well for a lot of folks. But a quality Sativa hy-brid with the same CBD and THC levels will present a mental effect and relieve stress and depression much better without the sedetive qualities.

when a person is very sick they lose a bit of pride and calming/sedetive type plants have a likekyhood of producing a down style medication in the CBDs, not good for some who have some emotional issues with thier illness. If CBDs are collected from a calming type genetic and mixed with the THC of a "up" style genetic in the collection process then there is a totally different interaction going on and you'll see it in the effect easily. I use this type of mix to controll siezures and the process works awesome. I have 8-12 siezures a month but only 2-3 on the extract mix.

Archived