Bloomfield Township Makes Not Registering With Police A Midemeanor

Bloomfield Township bans marijuana dispensaries

Published: Tuesday, November 02, 2010

By Mike Scott

For The Macomb Daily

Bloomfield Township approved two ordinances last week that will affect how medical marijuana patients in the community will fill their prescriptions.

Residents who are eligible under state law to consume marijuana for medicinal purposes will have to fill their prescriptions at dispensaries outside the township, according to the township board of trustees’ unanimous vote.

The board has been debating the issue for several months and had placed a moratorium on the issue a few times since voters approved the state law in November 2008.

Since then, communities around the state have had to make decisions on whether dispensaries can be allowed within their borders. Without any real tax benefits to local communities for allowing dispensaries, few have taken steps to allow them.

Not only will dispensaries not be allowed in Bloomfield Township but cultivation of product also is forbidden. However, residents who have a state card that allows them to use marijuana for medicinal purposes will have to register with township police, the requirements of a second ordinance approved by the board in late October. Patient registration will be confidential and failure to register would be a misdemeanor.

“This is really about trying to avoid a recipe for disaster,” said Capt. Steve Cook of Bloomfield Township Police. “Registering with the police department is really for the protection of residents and officers.”

One of the problems with how the state law is written is that there are inconsistencies in how law enforcement should handle residential marijuana cases, Cook said. The department wants to avoid any unnecessary raids for marijuana use, and registering with the police department can help with that, he added.

“I’m not asking residents to register with our department because we want to charge them,” Cook said. “But we want to work with you as long as you are working within the state law. If your (physician) has prescribed a resident to use medical marijuana and you are complying with state law, that is your business and we won’t bother you.”

The issue is that without local registration, Cook and his officers won’t know whether residents are using legally or illegally.

“Everyone is wrestling with the fact that this state law is poorly written,” Cook said. “If a resident needs it for (chronic pain) who am I to say no?”

Medical marijuana can be used only in residential areas, and there can be no more than two patient users in a home, according to state law. Caregivers, though, do not have to register with township police.

Michigan law provides for caregivers, who may have up to five patients. Caregivers are allowed to grow up to 12 plants per patient and must be registered with Michigan.

Cook is not aware of other municipalities that require their residents with a state medical marijuana card to register with local police. However many municipalities haven’t finalized their local ordinances and whether they will allow growing or dispensaries within their communities.

“I do know that 64 percent of our (township) residents voted for this state law,” Cook said. “We are trying to figure out what we can and should enforce.”

Nearby communities Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham also do not allow dispensaries while Beverly Hills continues to have a moratorium on the issue.

While marijuana use is against federal law, federal authorities have not actively fought medical marijuana usage under state laws.

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2010/11/02/news/politics/doc4cd065c18c33d699852234.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Medical marijuana can be used only in residential areas, and there can be no more than two patient users in a home, according to state law. Caregivers, though, do not have to register with township police.

Why are they trying to falsify the actual law? This isnt true

What are they going to do if they catch you and you are unregistered? Would this be like not having your dog licensed or something? Would it be a violation of a township ordinance like jay walking? I mean they can't stop a person from using MJ medically. That would be a violation of State Law wouldn't it? I am finding it harder and harder to believe that the "moralists" continue to fight the war on marijuana. It is quite obvious that they have lost. It appears to be extremely difficult for them to accept. They want to continue to be able to round up the SWAT team and do their maneuvers on some harmless pot smokers without being publicly embarrassed when they raid a legal (and probably very ill) citizen.

Give up already! You aren't going to save some innocent children from the "ravages" of marijuana! They can already obtain it easier that most medical marijuana patients can! It is over! You have lost! You better sit down and contemplate why you lost. It certainly wasn't from not spending enough money. It was because the ban on marijuana was hypocritical and everyone but you has seen through it. Wake up and accept THE FACTS and quit living a lie.

Can't wait for this one to hit the courtroom. What a bunch of buffoons! At least Bloomfield has the money it is going to lose, where the hell is Wyoming going to come up with the millions it is gonna cost them? This will not stand in a court of law. Locals should immediately file injunctions, we need to be proactive not reactive...Peace...j.b.

Over my dead body would I register. Yes, this is against state law as it is a sovereignty issue. They cannot make laws abridging the state law. There is no way in heck they can prevent people from using or growing. I feel like moving there just to prove a point....

I mean I even briefly thought about the idea of registering myself in that I'd rather not be raided, but then again, they have no right to my medical information or what legal drugs I use. I won't give up my privacy for some "sense" of safety, which is all illusory anyhow.

Registering with the police? BWAHHAAHA! How about after every other medicine user in the county does, just so you know they aren't manufacturing their own Oxycotin, vicodin etc.

This is quite ridiculous.

You gotta be kidding me. Back underground everyone goes....and it sounds like thats the way the state wants it to be so that they can take all of your possessions if they bust you without having a local "permit". Its all about "The Benjamins".

This is starting to sound more and more like Nazi Germany. You have to notify them that you are breaking a law or be charged with breaking another law. Catch 22 in action....

Widen the highways so more can be brought in illegally from Mexico. It would be cheaper to buy at street prices and only have to worry about being charged with possession instead of having to worry about losing your home/car etc for cultivating at home and paying for your doctor to sign your application as well as paying the $100 every year for the state permit.

Our permits are valid for nothing except possession of a limited amount in your own home (and you can't buy it at a dispensary since they are all being shut down). We are actually paying the state Nazis to inspect out premises at will for local violations that could cost everything we have worked our lives for. And now the state Nazis have all of our addresses on file so that they can "inspect" our premises in the future whenever they so choose and pass our addresses on to the narcotics division of our local police departments. And if you let your permit lapse they just might want to stop by and look for any signs that you STILL are growing without a state permit so that they can confiscate your property (legally).

I rue the day that I applied for this permit. I've been underground for 30 years with no problem. Now I put my name on record with the state in an attempt to be "legal" and what the heck has it gotten me except more sleepless nights. When am I going to get a knock on my door in the middle of the night? Thats why I got my permit in the first place (so I could sleep better at night).

I never thought I would be living in Nazi America, but the handwriting is on the wall. It looks like it will be nothing but worse with Shutte being elected too.

Guess I'll just have to crawl into a mix of rum and coke to drown my sorrows since thats still legal.

Peace out.....I'm bummin bigtime...

You gotta be kidding me. Back underground everyone goes....and it sounds like thats the way the state wants it to be so that they can take all of your possessions if they bust you without having a local "permit". Its all about "The Benjamins".

This is starting to sound more and more like Nazi Germany. You have to notify them that you are breaking a law or be charged with breaking another law. Catch 22 in action....

Widen the highways so more can be brought in illegally from Mexico. It would be cheaper to buy at street prices and only have to worry about being charged with possession instead of having to worry about losing your home/car etc for cultivating at home and paying for your doctor to sign your application as well as paying the $100 every year for the state permit.

Our permits are valid for nothing except possession of a limited amount in your own home (and you can't buy it at a dispensary since they are all being shut down). We are actually paying the state Nazis to inspect out premises at will for local violations that could cost everything we have worked our lives for. And now the state Nazis have all of our addresses on file so that they can "inspect" our premises in the future whenever they so choose and pass our addresses on to the narcotics division of our local police departments. And if you let your permit lapse they just might want to stop by and look for any signs that you STILL are growing without a state permit so that they can confiscate your property (legally).

I rue the day that I applied for this permit. I've been underground for 30 years with no problem. Now I put my name on record with the state in an attempt to be "legal" and what the heck has it gotten me except more sleepless nights. When am I going to get a knock on my door in the middle of the night? Thats why I got my permit in the first place (so I could sleep better at night).

I never thought I would be living in Nazi America, but the handwriting is on the wall. It looks like it will be nothing but worse with Shutte being elected too.

Guess I'll just have to crawl into a mix of rum and coke to drown my sorrows since thats still legal.

Peace out.....I'm bummin bigtime...

sorry-i know its dark outside-it seems like this has backfired in our faces :( and what was crafted as a tool to help us will now be turned against us as a weapon :( this is beginning to look like pre-war Germany

sorry-i know its dark outside-it seems like this has backfired in our faces :( and what was crafted as a tool to help us will now be turned against us as a weapon :( this is beginning to look like pre-war Germany

420Peace Angry LIBEAL,

What next, instead of a star how will they brand us?

It is Time for us to get ahead of the issues!

Time to use Voter Referendums again...

420Peace Angry LIBEAL,

What next, instead of a star how will they brand us?

It is Time for us to get ahead of the issues!

Time to use Voter Referendums again...

Voter Referendum

The Referendum process also has no national standing. However 49 states have adopted the Referendum in some way with the only exception being Delaware. As with the Initiative process, Referendum has two types, either Popular or Legislative. Popular Referendum allows voters to collect signatures on a petition to overturn laws enacted by the legislature. Legislative Referendum, on the other hand, is when the state or local legislature submits a proposal to the voters to approve or reject. Legislative Referendum is the one practiced in 49 states with Popular Referendum being practiced in only 24 states (not the same 24 with the Initiative process.)

Voter Initiative and Referendum are both important components in our democratic process. By allowing state governments to "get away" with not allowing us our voter power, we allow them to pass laws in a republic fashion rather than a democratic one. If all 50 states were to adopt both Initiative and Referendum, we would be in a better position to get the federal government to allow us the same right. Imagine what could be done if we had more control over what happens in Congress?

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-is-Voter-Initiative-and-Referendum?&id=1994529

Why don't we just mark patients with a visible symbol--say a gold star. That way we'll be able to identify who's different, just like the Germans did. Requiring you to register in order to exercise your legal rights perverts the principles this country was founded on and should be considered TREASON!

Why don't we just mark patients with a visible symbol--say a gold star. That way we'll be able to identify who's different, just like the Germans did. Requiring you to register in order to exercise your legal rights perverts the principles this country was founded on and should be considered TREASON!

Gold stars? That is sooooo 20th century.

No, no the new tool in the 21st century Overlord kit is the nano-RFID, which can be directly injected into the criminal/patient and allow LEO to track their where abouts 24/7 for the protection of the community.

Tattoos can be hidden and obscured, but radio waves are forever baby.

I'm pretty sure they call it Radar Tough Love, LEO sends comfort in from above, don't need no warrant at all

AAAAANNNNNNDDDDDDD.........we kinda already did register..........with the State. If the State thinks it should share with the Cities, whom the registered patients are, don't we think they would have done so by now?

The State CAN'T share this info. And, the Law ONLY states that we have to register with the State. So, this register with the city crap is a JOKE!

Bloomfield Township bans marijuana dispensaries

Cook is not aware of other municipalities that require their residents with a state medical marijuana card to register with local police. However many municipalities haven’t finalized their local ordinances and whether they will allow growing or dispensaries within their communities.

Well the city of Ferndale finalized its ordinance and decided to allow dispensaries so some people registered with the city and opened a dispensary and...

... the people who own Everybody's Cafe talked with the police and other Waterford Township authorities and got approval for their club and...

Maybe registering with your local police isn't such a good idea. :o

Well, I can sort of understand a dispensary registering.. They got to go through other business hoops too to get their permits and all that stuff. Or even a co-op if it's considered a business greenhouse. There's just some crap to be dealt with when one decides to open a business, even non profit ones. I don't personally think it's necessary from a business and cop standpoint since the LEO should be aware when any new business open anyway. I think they should be aware when places close too.

But making personal patients register is just pure making whoopee bullschuette. Tell us so we know not to raid you... How about do your effing job correctly? LEO is supposed to serve and protect.. I never noticed their disclaimer of "only if you sign up so we know your supposed to be served and protected. Otherwise we will assume you are a criminal until you can prove you should be served and protected as the legal citizen that you are". grrr :notfair:

Archived