How Dark ?

How dark does a "area" need to be during a 12/12? Say you have a box your growing in (not cardboard) and when you close the doors to this box a small crack is there and a small amount of light gets in will the plants hermaphrodite ? And what if it's light from like a typical bedroom 75 watt bulb ?

I grow in a grow tent. It is the most "light penetrable" so says some reviews, but it is in the same room my closet veg area is in. The 400 in the veg room puts out some light from the cracks, and I have only had one hermy that was stressed anyway. But.... through channels on this site, why don't you just seal up the cracks?? Simply taping cardboard around the edges will do the trick. Happy Growing!!

Have seen ill effects from zipper leaks in the past. Same plant by the door having problems every time. The more you use the zipper the more it leaks.

A dim soft glow from outside the tent would not be as bad as a single beam of leaked light IMO ( it's like a hermaphrodite laser lol.) It makes sense that a soft glow type of leak (like the glow of the moon) would not be as bad

Keep sealing the leaks till you have them all and you will rest easier. The darker the better.

Thanks for the replys.... I have a few ideas if how I can seal these leaks and not chance it .... Another quik question along the same line .... I've had my clones on a 24 hours of light wanna switch over to a 18/6 will the leaks be a problem for that? I can fix the leaks just gotta wait till I get paid in a few days...

Thanks for the replys.... I have a few ideas if how I can seal these leaks and not chance it .... Another quik question along the same line .... I've had my clones on a 24 hours of light wanna switch over to a 18/6 will the leaks be a problem for that? I can fix the leaks just gotta wait till I get paid in a few days...

You will be fine during veg. just get it fixed before flowering.

Guest finallyfree09

fix those leaks man... no sense in worrying about a hermie.

sublimewind turned me onto some tape that i use in my room CONSTANTLY. it is aluminum tape. extremely sticky and light won't bleed thru it. i believe it costs $25 for a roll of it at lowe's. look for it in the aisle where they have all of the ductwork and vent covers.... thats what the tape is for in the first place.

How dark does a "area" need to be during a 12/12? .....................

i go into my flower room after the lights are off and sit down for 5 minutes. this gives my eyes enough time to adjust to the darkness. after 5 minutes i stick my arm out straight in front of me and flip my hand up. if i can see my hand, it's too bright for me.

sublimewind turned me onto some tape that i use in my room CONSTANTLY. it is aluminum tape. extremely sticky and light won't bleed thru it. i believe it costs $25 for a roll of it at lowe's. look for it in the aisle where they have all of the ductwork and vent covers.... thats what the tape is for in the first place.

I used that tape when building the box..... Awsome stuff!! You can get it at home depot for like $8 a roll.....

Another newbie question..... I know I know I'm sorry.... Ya know those aluminum pans ya use to cook a turkey in the throw away ones...... Can those be used to set your pots in to catch the water that leaks out the bottom? Or does the aluminum give off some type of chemical? I figure if we cook in em there ok.....got a few left over from turkey day..

Another newbie question..... I know I know I'm sorry.... Ya know those aluminum pans ya use to cook a turkey in the throw away ones...... Can those be used to set your pots in to catch the water that leaks out the bottom? Or does the aluminum give off some type of chemical? I figure if we cook in em there ok.....got a few left over from turkey day..

I would think that those pans would be ok. If there safe enough for me to cook and eat a turkey from, them I'm sure the plants would be ok. I'm sure there a food grade pan.

As far as the light leakage goes, IMO A little light leakage isn't gonna hurt your plants. like ikline said, Its never really completely dark outside with the moon and all.

I would think that those pans would be ok. If there safe enough for me to cook and eat a turkey from, them I'm sure the plants would be ok. I'm sure there a food grade pan.

As far as the light leakage goes, IMO A little light leakage isn't gonna hurt your plants. like ikline said, Its never really completely dark outside with the moon and all.

darn man that must be a big roll, they have aluminum tape for like 5.50 at Menards.

• 3 weeks later...

READ THIS IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TROUBLE!

I have seen it! Any light leaks during the dark period of flowering can and will cause hermaphrodites - some strains are more vulnerable to it. Don't take chances, fix them! Ditch the tent if you have to, build your own enclosure...those tents are a pain to light proof, they are designed horribly.

A friend of mine who is a patient lost 2 crops to this, at first he blamed something else, but at the 2nd crop he started looking at other reasons...what he did was go into the room with the lights off and sit there for 5 minutes allowing his eyes to adjust... there were light leaks! They were so small and barely noticeable but it still caused 2 crops to turn completely male. Once he fixed them he started a 3rd crop and had absolutely no problems!

Indoor and outdoor are two completely different things.

Bubble got right.

You should not be able to see your hand in front of your face after standing in your room for at least 5 minutes with the lights out.

P.S. It's important to take the 5 mins to let your eyes adjust, you will be surprised the little light leaks you can find when your eyes are adjusted that were invisible when you first turned out the lights.

Archived