Dr Geenthumbs "Big Purps" Grow Journal

Dr Gruber

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics from last night at lights out...day 50. Doc says its a 55-65 day strain and i think it going to take 65 days for sure. The buds are very sticky, gooey and soft and smell like grapes.

This one looks like its going to be very tastey....Doc told me I would be in for a treat and it looks like he is right again...thanks Doc!

This is the strangest plant I have done in my short time growing...the leaf structure is crazy and all the buds seem to be hidden on the inside of the plant, at first it didnt seem like it would yeild very much but now it looks to be packing it on.

I cant wait to give this one a test smoke.

gallery_13816_496_343577.jpg

gallery_13816_496_283325.jpg

gallery_13816_496_1741479.jpg

gallery_13816_496_1688019.jpg

gallery_13816_496_2381706.jpg

gallery_13816_496_572730.jpg

gallery_13816_496_1950718.jpg

gallery_13816_496_658763.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today is day 64 for these and the purple is just starting to come in and lots of pistils are still white. Trics are just about 65-45% cloudy to clear. I asked Doc about the purple coming on so late and he thought it was strange that it hadnt come on quicker.He said that by now they are usually so purple they look almost black. He advised me to bring down the night time temps and it does seem to have kick started it...thanks again Doc!

I think they have a few more days to go yet and i'm hopeing i can get some more purple color in them but i dont think it really matters to the quality of the smoke, it just looks cool.. I will take some pics tonight and get them up later.

On another note..im seeing my Doc today for a renewal...wish me luck.

Peace to All-Dg

Just went through all the pages, and i'd like to mention a few observations.

You mention watering till 20% overflow. This exceeds even what that "old wife's tale" about watering till it drains recommends. Watering that heavy will drown your plant, rot your roots,compact your soil, and impede nutrient uptake. If your soil is properly constructed, wicking action will always distribute the water throughout the mixture at a level that benefits the plant. Some of your pics also indicated some minor ph problems, a bit too acid it seems. Are you waiting till your ph adjustments acclimate, perhaps you are suffering from ph overshoot?

I noticed that you made the decision to bloom the plants before they showed signs of sexual maturity (lack of pre-flowers and alternating phylogeny). This usually will reflected with less dense bud formation and weaker stems. I understand your haste, and probable concerns with eventual finishing height, but you are generally rewarded with superior results if you veg your seed till maturity and flower it's ripe clones.

This leads to your latest shots, which are showing overt indications of hormonal imbalances (excessive singlet leaves, gnarly buds). Are you using Superthrive, bloombooster, or aspirin on these plants? Alternately this might be residual effects from the early blooming, but if it's not added or induced hormones, i would have to go with some type of lighting anomaly that has confused the plant. Timer problems, light leaks, even a red led indicator on an appliance can screw up a plant's carefully choreographed bloom cycle. Most folk aren't involved enough to figure out a particular plants photo-periodicity, but many phenotypes prosper in cycles that do not adhere to the accepted 12/12...

Just went through all the pages, and i'd like to mention a few observations.

You mention watering till 20% overflow. This exceeds even what that "old wife's tale" about watering till it drains recommends. Watering that heavy will drown your plant, rot your roots,compact your soil, and impede nutrient uptake. If your soil is properly constructed, wicking action will always distribute the water throughout the mixture at a level that benefits the plant. Some of your pics also indicated some minor ph problems, a bit too acid it seems. Are you waiting till your ph adjustments acclimate, perhaps you are suffering from ph overshoot?

I noticed that you made the decision to bloom the plants before they showed signs of sexual maturity (lack of pre-flowers and alternating phylogeny). This usually will reflected with less dense bud formation and weaker stems. I understand your haste, and probable concerns with eventual finishing height, but you are generally rewarded with superior results if you veg your seed till maturity and flower it's ripe clones.

This leads to your latest shots, which are showing overt indications of hormonal imbalances (excessive singlet leaves, gnarly buds). Are you using Superthrive, bloombooster, or aspirin on these plants? Alternately this might be residual effects from the early blooming, but if it's not added or induced hormones, i would have to go with some type of lighting anomaly that has confused the plant. Timer problems, light leaks, even a red led indicator on an appliance can screw up a plant's carefully choreographed bloom cycle. Most folk aren't involved enough to figure out a particular plants photo-periodicity, but many phenotypes prosper in cycles that do not adhere to the accepted 12/12...

Thanks for taking the time to read through and thanks for the info.

When I check Ph both in soil and run off its always seems to be in a good range.

I wont be blooming before sex again..thanks.

i dont use superthrive or any of the stuff you mentioned but light leaks and things like that could be a problem. I will check my room again for any of those problems.

Thanks a bunch!

Hmm, no hormones, that leaves stress (and not just a little!). That one bud shot looks more like a re-vegged bud than a normal cola - although the lower buds seem more natural, which would indicate recent stress. I would close myself in the budroom and wait ten minutes for my eyes to acclimate, and then check for the slightest light leak. Around doors, vents, fans, and wire cutouts - even those red lights on an electric heater can screw the plant up quite royally. LUK!

Hmm, no hormones, that leaves stress (and not just a little!). That one bud shot looks more like a re-vegged bud than a normal cola - although the lower buds seem more natural, which would indicate recent stress. I would close myself in the budroom and wait ten minutes for my eyes to acclimate, and then check for the slightest light leak. Around doors, vents, fans, and wire cutouts - even those red lights on an electric heater can screw the plant up quite royally. LUK!

The single leafs you mentioned...I seem to get those at the top of all my plants...is that not normal?

I appreciate your help very much...

thanks

Those sure are some gorgeous ladies you have there and it leads me to believe in the classification of Afghanis as there own subspecies following Indica and Sativa as well as Ruderalis . Do you water from above > ? I have read that afghanis must be waterd from the bottom in order to thrive properly ! It makes logical sense with many Indicas originating from dry arid regions . They dont get much rainfalll and have to take water from below . I am noticing a small amount of water retention in your leaves . But hey many may and will most likely disagree but I just wanted to shed some light on this subject . If you decide to water from below and notice a change . please let me know or keep us all posted .Peace

I cant quote the source but i can find it if u like..... indica is a misnomer. Afgahnica is the proper name for all none sativa or rudis. Indica was a name given to a plant from the jungles of india, it was and is a sativa. All fat plants to date are from afgahnica.

I cant quote the source but i can find it if u like..... indica is a misnomer. Afgahnica is the proper name for all none sativa or rudis. Indica was a name given to a plant from the jungles of india, it was and is a sativa. All fat plants to date are from afgahnica.

Vey interesting, i never knew that.

Not that I doubt you, but i wouldnt mind if you did post a link on that. I would love to read it.

The single leafs you mentioned...I seem to get those at the top of all my plants...is that not normal?

I appreciate your help very much...

thanks

To some degree, singlet leaves are normal as budding enters maturation, generally only within the individual buds themselves. In the third, fifth, and sixth photo's above i see signs of this process taken to another level. This is evidenced by the smooth, undifferentiated nature of these leaves - notice the loss of edge serration and uneven distribution of glands.

Also note that the cola has become almost shaggy with a proliferation of singlet fan leaves.These are all signs of a plant experiencing hormonal confusion, and are usually followed by lowered production.

Along with the possible causal factors listed previously, i remember that neem oil (and extracts) can sometimes produce similar effects.

:bong2:

very nice :goodjob:

Wow thats one wicked looking cola there. You could beat all the haters to death with that thing. Nice job! :goodjob:

Thanks to both of you!!!

When i ran the Sour Diesel the colas were too big to fit in my mason jars and i got bigger ones. This isnt going to fit in those ones so i guess i need a bigger jar again.lol