Eric L. VanDussen

Vandussen V Kalkaska Prosecutor - Lawsuit Re: Foia Denials

Doesn't the Sheriff have a special task force to do the dirty anti-drug work?

Maybe you should FOIA the relevant drug task force directly? Even though the task force is ultimately under control of the Sheriff the Sheriff may not have direct access to the drug investigation files. The division in charge of narc investigations does have this information though.

Kudos on your work:

From there to hear and here to there

Van's on the job and everywhere.

Sorry, I just finished reading Hop on Pop and Fox in Socks in one sitting.

Thank you Eric. You provide a very valuable service to our community. The information you provide us has been hidden in the past. Most of us can not afford to pay the outrageous fees associated acquiring these documents and also would not know where to find them in the first place. When the system knows it is being watched, it helps keep them honest.

New information ..

The Michigan Attorney General intervened in two cases in Kalkaska county.

To grant immunity to employees of the MDCH so they could testify.

:goodjob:

Thank you Eric. You provide a very valuable service to our community. The information you provide us has been hidden in the past. Most of us can not afford to pay the outrageous fees associated acquiring these documents and also would not know where to find them in the first place. When the system knows it is being watched, it helps keep them honest.

:thumbsu::goodjob:

You may recall that the Michigan Attorney General has intervened in two cases I have prosecuted to require a grant of immunity for staff from the Michigan Department of Community Health before they testified as to records of medical marijuana applications or cards. The confidentiality of this information is strictly guarded.

Instead of "Most of us can not afford to pay the outrageous fees associated acquiring these documents and also would not know where to find them in the first place."

How about "All of us can afford to pay a portion of the outrageous fees associated acquiring these documents as thanks for knowing where to find them in the first place."

Support Eric and his efforts!

I applaud your efforts. That will be one expensive proposition though. They can charge you for time and copying costs and it does seem that obtaining all of that info will require a bunch of research.

Instead of "Most of us can not afford to pay the outrageous fees associated acquiring these documents and also would not know where to find them in the first place."

How about "All of us can afford to pay a portion of the outrageous fees associated acquiring these documents as thanks for knowing where to find them in the first place."

Support Eric and his efforts!

:thumbsu:

Could not agree more. I was hoping to send a token of my gratitude soon. I know FOIA request can be hundreds of dollars. According to Eric's income statement, one request can be more than he makes in a month. What he is doing is heroic.

New information ..

The Michigan Attorney General intervened in two cases in Kalkaska county.

To grant immunity to employees of the MDCH so they could testify.

Maybe this should be in another thread. I am not sure what to think of this but it does not sound good. What and why are MDCH employees testifying about?

As for Van Dussen you are doing the lord's work brother. When you are wrong I will tell you- like filing for superintending control to the Michigan Supremes :lol: but I am glad to see counselor Williams on the case and this one looks like a winner. I hope you stick it up there donkey.

Granted the FOIA is a bit, well, all encompassing, but the putz didn't even try to respond adequately. They freaking know how many med mar patients they have stopped and arrested and there are definitely records. All the donkey rectum has to do is ask the beat cops in the office for the names. There probably are not that many of them.

I also love the argument about confidentiality they raise now. After ignoring it for how long?

Edited by lawyercaregiver

VanDussenMMMAFOIAlawsuits-REarticle05-21-11.jpg

Prosecutors ‘were mistaken’ - Local man given records requested under FOIA

May 21, 2011 - BY ART BUKOWSKI abukowski@record-eagle.com

KALKASKA — Kalkaska County Prosecutor Brian Donnelly will turn over documents to settle a local man’s Michigan Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.

Donnelly and Ottawa County Prosecutor Ronald J. Frantz were the only two of Michigan’s 83 county prosecutors who refused to turn over documents requested under FOIA by Traverse City resident Eric VanDussen. VanDussen wanted police reports, search warrants, charging papers and other documents tied to medical marijuana cases handled in each county.

Multiple prosecutors told VanDussen he’d have to pay hefty sums for records to be gathered and copied, but Donnelly and Frantz were the only ones to reject his request, VanDussen said.

So he filed a lawsuit against both, and both agreed to give him what he wants.

“Obviously, when they argued that they didn’t have to give me anything, they were mistaken,” VanDussen said.

Donnelly and Frantz didn’t return calls for comment.

Separate settlement agreements with both prosecutors dictate that documents be turned over to VanDussen at no cost. Frantz’ office already provided VanDussen more than 700 pages of documents, VanDussen said, and Donnelly has until the middle of June to provide his records.

Donnelly must identify in writing all documents he withheld or redacted due to FOIA exemptions.

VanDussen is upset the documents weren’t just turned over in the first place.

“Why did it have to take me filing a lawsuit to do that?” he said. “It’s public record, and it shouldn’t take a citizen having to sue them.”

VanDussen, formerly of Benzie County, is a familiar face in local court systems. He’s covered multiple cases as a freelance journalist, and he successfully sued Benzie County a few years ago for violations of the Freedom of Information and Open Meetings acts. He now works for Jesse L. Williams, a Traverse City attorney.

He has a particular interest in medical marijuana cases and believes there’s widespread public interest on the topic.

Edited by Eric L. VanDussen

Quite a 'mistake'. It sounds more like 'obstruction of justice' to me.

Eric, thank you for your efforts on behalf of all those suffering people in this state who don't have the resources to battle these gangsters on their own. :bow:

This is great news,Eric !!!!!!

Like I said before and I will say it again: when LEos obstruct justice...."SUE the B*ST**DS."

And batting 83/83 FOIAs being met.....you must have one hell of a pile of info !!!!

I trust you will soon find some interesting pieces of info that will be a bitter pill for the PAs across the state.

Any hints at what you are finding ???

And when can we expect to hear something from you ???

Keep up the great work !!!

Dr. Jinx

They didn't give them to you, Eric, because they were either 'breaking' the law or they were 'bending' the hell out it.

Thank you for sticking with it.

Again, 'many' thanks 'many times' over!