Pot Charge Against Vietnam Veteran

bobandtorey

9114036-large.jpgCITIZEN PATRIOT | NICK DENTAMAROGary Muntz is a cancer patient and veteran of the Vietnam War. He was charged with a drug crime for violating the medicinal marijuana law. 130Share 56 Comments First, it was post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by his service in the Vietnam War. Then came two bouts with throat cancer, which left him without a voice box.

Now, 61-year-old Gary Muntz has a new ailment — lymphoma, a slow-moving cancer of the lymph nodes.

He speaks only with the aid of a mechanical device pressed tightly to his neck. Long periods outside his home require a wheelchair, and he often cannot sleep.

Marijuana helps.

It relaxes him, Muntz said. It wards off the nightmares of his childhood, of his time as a paratrooper in Vietnam. It eases pain that sometimes prevents him from getting out of bed.

Michigan voters approved the state’s medical marijuana law for people like Muntz, who has a card authorizing him to use the drug for medicinal purposes, said his lawyer, Robert Gaecke.

“It was designed for people who really are suffering, that you can see, and this guy was it,” Gaecke said.

Muntz, however, was charged with a felony drug crime for violating the law.

His case illustrates the muddle surrounding the 2008 voter-enacted legislation and the uncertainty that police and prosecutors face about how to enforce it.

“There are still a lot of questions out there, and there is not a lot of definitive legal guidance on how we are supposed to treat these cases,” said John Holda, Jackson deputy police chief.

The law must be “far more specific” regarding under what conditions someone can grow marijuana, possess it and acquire it, said Jackson County Circuit Judge John McBain.

9114037-large.jpgCITIZEN PATRIOT | NICK DENTAMAROJackson County Circuit Judge John McBain lightly sentenced Gary Muntz on Nov. 30, saying he believed Muntz substantially complied with the law.Hopefully, the courts or state lawmakers can give authorities some clarification, McBain said. Many cases are pending, and governments are looking into it. Last week, Wyoming, a city near Grand Rapids, became the latest municipality to ban medical marijuana.

McBain lightly sentenced Muntz on Nov. 30, saying he believed Muntz substantially complied with the law.

The prosecutor’s office charged Muntz last summer after Jackson police found 13 marijuana plants in his house on Wilson Street. Police saw the grow lights shining in the second story of the home, Muntz said.

Muntz was authorized to use the drug but not to grow it, and he did not realize that until it was too late, he said.

“(Authorities) have to realize some of us do get confused,” he said.

On the Michigan application for the state medical marijuana registry, those seeking a card have to choose whether they or their caregiver will be growing marijuana. Only one person per patient can possess plants. A patient cannot cultivate marijuana if he or she has designated someone else to do it, Gaecke said.

At first, Muntz said, he was getting marijuana from another person, but it was expensive, so he started growing his own with help from a friend who lives with Muntz and assists him with his medical needs.

The prosecutor’s office agreed to allow Muntz to plead guilty to marijuana possession, a misdemeanor. McBain ordered Muntz and the friend, who did not have a card when the police came to Muntz’s house, to pay less than $200. The judge did not place them on probation, though both men have criminal records. Muntz said he has spent nine years of his adult life in prison.

Muntz was pleased with the outcome but said the whole ordeal cost him about $3,000 in marijuana.

Gaecke argues Muntz should not have been charged at all.

Muntz fought for his country, Gaecke said. He was exposed to Agent Orange, a herbicide used during the Vietnam War.

“He gets relief from smoking a joint, and he had a few plants in his house. Who cares?” Gaecke said.

Chief Assistant Prosecutor Mark Blumer said that while the drug is legally available to some people, limits remain. Voters did not completely legalize marijuana.

“If you are going to have a permit from the government to do something that is otherwise prohibited,” Blumer said, “you have to obey the restrictions of the permit.”

It does not best serve the public for legal authorities always to take a “hard line,” but violations cannot be ignored, Blumer said.

Law enforcement agencies tend to take a harsher stance; advocates take a looser approach, and this causes conflict, Blumer said.

A plea agreement can be a way to balance the harshness of a law with the facts of a case, he said.

The prosecutor’s office has seen other cases of people growing far more marijuana than their permits allow, Blumer said.

According to state law, a patient may have 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana and, if he or she has not specified a caregiver, 12 plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility.

As an example of one issue, the law does not take into consideration the quality or potency of the marijuana, which can vary, McBain said.

Additionally, 12 plants can yield a lot more than 2.5 ounces, Gaecke said.

An Iowa native, Muntz moved to Michigan in November 2009 because of the marijuana law.

He had gotten into trouble before for using the drug, which he started smoking while he was in Vietnam from 1967 to 1968 as part of the U.S. Army airborne infantry rangers.

Muntz said he volunteered to join the Army. He was eager about the prospect, but people spit on when he came home, and the experience ultimately turned him against his country. Drinking took over his life, he said.

He worked on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and off Scotland in the North Sea; as a truck driver; and for Rockwell Collins, an aviation company. He married three times and is divorced with two sons and two adopted daughters.

In 1996, as Muntz struggled with throat cancer a second time, he quit drinking and smoking both marijuana and cigarettes.

“I figured I’d been doing everything wrong. I better start doing right,” he said, sitting in a recliner and eyeing one of his several cats.

About five years later, a doctor suggested he smoke marijuana, he said.

It relieves his sore neck and makes some of his medications unnecessary. Medical personnel try to give him tranquilizers, he said.

“I don’t need no tranquilizers; give me a little weed and I am fine.”

Muntz said the drug soothes his stomach, which is made uneasy by regular ingestion of morphine; helps with medication-induced constipation; and stimulates his appetite. Muntz, whose diet is mostly restricted to nutrition shakes and soft foods, said he hardly eats. He looks thin, even frail.

He smokes about one-eighth ounce of marijuana a day.

“I have so many medical problems, I could go on and on and not cover them,” Muntz said. “Marijuana does something for every little thing.”

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2010/12/pot_charge_against_vietnam_vet.html

POT CHARGE AGAINST VIETNAM VETERAN ILLUSTRATES CONFUSION WITH MEDICAL MARIJUANA LAW

Danielle Salisbury | Jackson Citizen Patriot

First, it was post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by his service in the Vietnam War. Then came two bouts with throat cancer, which left him without a voice box.

Now, 61-year-old Gary Muntz has a new ailment -- lymphoma, a slow-moving cancer of the lymph nodes.

He speaks only with the aid of a mechanical device pressed tightly to his neck. Long periods outside his home require a wheelchair, and he often cannot sleep.

Hopefully, the courts or state lawmakers can give authorities some clarification, McBain said. Many cases are pending, and governments are looking into it. Last week, Wyoming, a city near Grand Rapids, became the latest municipality to ban medical marijuana.

McBain lightly sentenced Muntz on Nov. 30, saying he believed Muntz substantially complied with the law.

The prosecutor's office charged Muntz last summer after Jackson police found 13 marijuana plants in his house on Wilson Street. Police saw the grow lights shining in the second story of the home, Muntz said.

Muntz was authorized to use the drug but not to grow it, and he did not realize that until it was too late, he said.

"( Authorities ) have to realize some of us do get confused," he said.

On the Michigan application for the state medical marijuana registry, those seeking a card have to choose whether they or their caregiver will be growing marijuana. Only one person per patient can possess plants. A patient cannot cultivate marijuana if he or she has designated someone else to do it, Gaecke said.

At first, Muntz said, he was getting marijuana from another person, but it was expensive, so he started growing his own with help from a friend who lives with Muntz and assists him with his medical needs.

The prosecutor's office agreed to allow Muntz to plead guilty to marijuana possession, a misdemeanor. McBain ordered Muntz and the friend, who did not have a card when the police came to Muntz's house, to pay less than $200. The judge did not place them on probation, though both men have criminal records. Muntz said he has spent nine years of his adult life in prison.

"( Authorities ) have to realize some of us do get confused," he said.

The prosecutor's office agreed to allow Muntz to plead guilty to marijuana possession, a misdemeanor. McBain ordered Muntz and the friend, who did not have a card when the police came to Muntz's house, to pay less than $200. The judge did not place them on probation, though both men have criminal records. Muntz said he has spent nine years of his adult life in prison.

Muntz was pleased with the outcome but said the whole ordeal cost him about $3,000 in marijuana.

Gaecke argues Muntz should not have been charged at all.

Muntz fought for his country, Gaecke said. He was exposed to Agent Orange, a herbicide used during the Vietnam War.

"He gets relief from smoking a joint, and he had a few plants in his house. Who cares?" Gaecke said.

Chief Assistant Prosecutor Mark Blumer said that while the drug is legally available to some people, limits remain. Voters did not completely legalize marijuana.

"If you are going to have a permit from the government to do something that is otherwise prohibited," Blumer said, "you have to obey the restrictions of the permit."

It does not best serve the public for legal authorities always to take a "hard line," but violations cannot be ignored, Blumer said.

Law enforcement agencies tend to take a harsher stance; advocates take a looser approach, and this causes conflict, Blumer said.

A plea agreement can be a way to balance the harshness of a law with the facts of a case, he said.

The prosecutor's office has seen other cases of people growing far more marijuana than their permits allow, Blumer said.

According to state law, a patient may have 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana and, if he or she has not specified a caregiver, 12 plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility.

As an example of one issue, the law does not take into consideration the quality or potency of the marijuana, which can vary, McBain said.

Additionally, 12 plants can yield a lot more than 2.5 ounces, Gaecke said.

An Iowa native, Muntz moved to Michigan in November 2009 because of the marijuana law.

He had gotten into trouble before for using the drug, which he started smoking while he was in Vietnam from 1967 to 1968 as part of the U.S. Army airborne infantry rangers.

Muntz said he volunteered to join the Army. He was eager about the prospect, but people spit on when he came home, and the experience ultimately turned him against his country. Drinking took over his life, he said.

He worked on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and off Scotland in the North Sea; as a truck driver; and for Rockwell Collins, an aviation company. He married three times and is divorced with two sons and two adopted daughters.

In 1996, as Muntz struggled with throat cancer a second time, he quit drinking and smoking both marijuana and cigarettes.

"I figured I'd been doing everything wrong. I better start doing right," he said, sitting in a recliner and eyeing one of his several cats.

About five years later, a doctor suggested he smoke marijuana, he said.

It relieves his sore neck and makes some of his medications unnecessary. Medical personnel try to give him tranquilizers, he said.

"I don't need no tranquilizers; give me a little weed and I am fine."

Muntz said the drug soothes his stomach, which is made uneasy by regular ingestion of morphine; helps with medication-induced constipation; and stimulates his appetite. Muntz, whose diet is mostly restricted to nutrition shakes and soft foods, said he hardly eats. He looks thin, even frail.

He smokes about one-eighth ounce of marijuana a day.

"I have so many medical problems, I could go on and on and not cover them," Muntz said. "Marijuana does something for every little thing."

Please visit the source for pictures and more information

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2010/12/pot_charge_against_vietnam_vet.html

I thank you for your service!

I would have been out there spitting on the spitters!!

this is the kind of thanks your (our) government gives you? They frickin caused all of your problems with their methods of war back than, and who knows what they are doing now to people!!!!!

So its done? he was convicted? or copped a plea?

I had a friend that had cancer back in the early 80's, we drove him from houghton lake to detroit every day for treatments! (Henry ford hospital) He smoked a lot of weed to get thru his treatments,,when we would get into the waiting room where he was treated, if he didnt have his little tupperware container the was his weed holder, rollers. papers.etc, they would ask him where was his weed! they let him smoke rite in the waiting room along with many other patients, I know I witnessed this!

Its a government conspiracy to keep weed illegal, for one they dont know how to tax it, or stop people from growing it (i have grown since 1978) If im allowed to have weed you can be darn sure im gonna grow it! plus all of the politicians (not all but most) are in the pockets of big pharmicuticals! and apperantly most dr.'s are also in their pockets!!

Trust me big brother knows how benificial marijuana is for many ailments, they just dont tell us, me personaly I dont want to pay taxes at all, I feel we have and are being wronged by our elected officials! Im glad I paid into ssi the whole time i was self employed, Im getting mine back, and they can kiss my arse!

This war vetran shouldnt even have to grow it! the government should get people that realy know how to grow good quality mm and be supplying him all he needs, no matter how much it is! they did this to him! and they dont want to pay for all the vets who they poisoned! casualty of war! they treat our troops like numbers PERIOD!

I am very proud of my son who is a sgt in the marines, very very proud! but I wish he was not government property!!!

God Bless All!

Peace

FTW

Jim

i wish i could wear my uniform to court if we ever go maybe i could wear my medals that i got from the army some how to show the judge that am a Vet

could help us i think

Bob do you still have it and does it fit (sorry lmao)

I think that would be the best thing you could do!!!

There are alot of people thankful to you! We live in a different world from back than! I was born in 63 so i was to young to go, but i remember lots, my sis had a braclet with the tag # and name of a pow, you were supposed to wear them till they came home!

Us a lil younger know it was a messed up thing the government did, not the soldiers that were over there following orders!

I blame the Government! I pray for the vets! and im sure most feel that way also these days!

wear you uniform! If i was in a jury for something like this that would make tears come to my eyes, and their would be a hung jury or found innocent!

Peace and God Bless!

FTW

Jim

Bob do you still have it and does it fit (sorry lmao)

I think that would be the best thing you could do!!!

There are alot of people thankful to you! We live in a different world from back than! I was born in 63 so i was to young to go, but i remember lots, my sis had a braclet with the tag # and name of a pow, you were supposed to wear them till they came home!

Us a lil younger know it was a messed up thing the government did, not the soldiers that were over there following orders!

I blame the Government! I pray for the vets! and im sure most feel that way also these days!

wear you uniform! If i was in a jury for something like this that would make tears come to my eyes, and their would be a hung jury or found innocent!

Peace and God Bless!

FTW

Jim

Thanks but your right it don't fit but the medals will always fit

Reminds me, I better send in my change form .

That's all he was technically guilty of. Thereby allowing his Caregiver to have his Plants.

13 Plants thats a Bakers Dozen isn't it ?

Hopefully he has a New Caregiver by now.

ps Bob you should wear the Uniform or the Medals, for sure proudly !

... What years were you in ?

Reminds me, I better send in my change form .

That's all he was technically guilty of. Thereby allowing his Caregiver to have his Plants.

13 Plants thats a Bakers Dozen isn't it ?

Hopefully he has a New Caregiver by now.

ps Bob you should wear the Uniform or the Medals, for sure proudly !

... What years were you in ?

1967-70 32nd signal Corp Blanton APO address don't know it any more i could look it up but after the move lots of thing are lost or misplaced

i do still have my uniform

If you tell LEO you were driving 70 MPH in a 35 MPH because you're missing the birth of your son, is that still not speeding? Point being: the guy's circumstances, medical condition, and disposition don't excuse him from the LAW. IF we want the MMMA law to benefit us we need to respect all aspects of it. The "I didn't realize" answer, although probably valid, doesn't excuse him. Doesn't sound like prosecutors "stretched" the law or mis-interpreted it just to get a vet into court.

I totally empathize with this man. He fought for our country and has mental scars to remind him, has numerous debilitating medical issues, and probably barely pays his bills. But gosh darn, READ the law....sounds like he got off easy.

If you tell LEO you were driving 70 MPH in a 35 MPH because you're missing the birth of your son, is that still not speeding? Point being: the guy's circumstances, medical condition, and disposition don't excuse him from the LAW. IF we want the MMMA law to benefit us we need to respect all aspects of it. The "I didn't realize" answer, although probably valid, doesn't excuse him. Doesn't sound like prosecutors "stretched" the law or mis-interpreted it just to get a vet into court.

I totally empathize with this man. He fought for our country and has mental scars to remind him, has numerous debilitating medical issues, and probably barely pays his bills. But gosh darn, READ the law....sounds like he got off easy.

you must not know a vietnam vet! Or you are just plain Heartless!

May God Help You See The Way!

Merry Christmas!

Thank a VET for

Peace!

FTW

Jim

Back then we had to take off are uniform just to get a ride and people would call us baby burners

Im sorry Bob!

Sad to think of them things for me dude and I wasnt but a 7 yr old,

I can only imagine living thru what you and your brothers lived thru!

Most of them protestors back than didnt have a clue!

Just like todays idiotic protestors that try and ruin our Dead Young men and womans Military Funerals! (surpised jane fonda aint in on that)

Merry Christmas To You and Yours Bro!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Im sorry Bob!

Sad to think of them things for me dude and I wasnt but a 7 yr old,

I can only imagine living thru what you and your brothers lived thru!

Most of them protestors back than didnt have a clue!

Just like todays idiotic protestors that try and ruin our Dead Young men and womans Military Funerals! (surpised jane fonda aint in on that)

Merry Christmas To You and Yours Bro!

Peace
FTW
Jim

to the vets in this thread.... thank you for your service to our country, the effing government should be kissing your donkey's along with not only giving you a free mmj card for life but truckloads of free meds too for all of your sacrifices. God Bless you, and Thank You.

Yea ^^^^^^

:goodjob::thumbsu::bow::abe::blow-a-heart:

Merry Christmas

Peace

FTW

Jim

you must not know a vietnam vet! Or you are just plain Heartless!

May God Help You See The Way!

Merry Christmas!

Thank a VET for

Peace!

FTW

Jim

It has nothing to do with supporting veterans or being heartless. Thirteen plants is too many. Possessing plants without being authorized is illegal. If you want the government to abide by the law then you need to abide by it too.

You can't say "We should bend the law a little because he's a nice guy." I personally feel anyone and everyone should be able to possess anything they want be it cannabis, heroin or nuclear weapons, but that is not the world we live in. We all raise an outcry (and rightly so) when LEO ignores the law because it doesn't suit their wishes. We should expect problems when we ignore it because it doesn't suit ours.

Back then we had to take off are uniform just to get a ride and people would call us baby burners

You must be talking about after you got out, Bob ?

Man thats so true !

I was SigCorps too 70-73 .

The whole country bailed on us .

We were like left in the wake or something .

It ended couple months after I got out.

It has nothing to do with supporting veterans or being heartless. Thirteen plants is too many. Possessing plants without being authorized is illegal. If you want the government to abide by the law then you need to abide by it too.

You can't say "We should bend the law a little because he's a nice guy." I personally feel anyone and everyone should be able to possess anything they want be it cannabis, heroin or nuclear weapons, but that is not the world we live in. We all raise an outcry (and rightly so) when LEO ignores the law because it doesn't suit their wishes. We should expect problems when we ignore it because it doesn't suit ours.

Lucky is as Lucky does. You might want to consider a little Gratitude instead of the Attitude. People like him are the reason for Concepts like Free Speech. Law and order and even the occasional Dumb Laws? I think He has something to say to the Judge !

Archived