Should I Opt For 2 Flower Rooms Or 1?

As some of you may know, I'm working on a new grow area.

The flower area is going to be pretty large. I'm trying to map out a plan on what I should do with the flower area.

I can make 2 or even 3 flower rooms or I could just have 1 Very Large one. I was wondering what the benefits of having more than 1 are? I've heard numerous people say that have more than 1 Veg and Flower rooms, I'm just wondering what the benefits of having more than 1 are?

I plan on using 5 gallon buckets. I'm going to have them daisy-chained. Either 1 Darn Big chain, or 2 or 3 separate chains in separate rooms.

Thanks in advance for you input!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have the room, do what you will. Growing in 5 gallon buckets will eat up a lot of room. I dedicate 9 square feet to each of my buckets. I put mine into flower at 16-18 inches and 3 X 3 is barely enough room. If you start them to flower earlier you'll get away with more in less space.

Low ceilings suck. You've already bought them but you could have gotten away with smaller buckets. To each their own. You don't want to start into flower too late. You have to remember you'll lose height due to lights.

You are planning on walling off different areas aren't you?

Nice RS, you've got a lot of room to work with. I'm jealous. :)

I know! I'm pretty excited of the possibilities! It's going to grow as my bank account grows... :)

Low ceilings suck. You've already bought them but you could have gotten away with smaller buckets. To each their own. You don't want to start into flower too late. You have to remember you'll lose height due to lights.

You are planning on walling off different areas aren't you?

I have a Veg room down there too that's not shown in the pictures above. I'm definitely going to enclose the space shown in the picture. But that's what my question is for this thread. Should I turn this space into more than 1 flower room?

Perhaps I could buy smaller buckets for one of the flower rooms?

If you want to see more pictures:

http://www.hydroponicsupersonic.com/my-new-grow-room.html

You're biggest problem will be with your ceiling height. You have floor space to do all you want.

If your planning on doing a perpetual harvest, say once a week or maybe twice a month, a second and separate bloom room will be advantageous.

I run my 8 bloom buckets in the same room (9 X 13)under different lights. I only process 4 per month and I need separate lights to maintain them at proper height above the plants. The more room you have to work with around your plants, the happier you're going to be.

To me, the big difference for you is height. My ceilings are 9 feet. Any less than that and I would go with a shorter vegetation and harvest less from each plant but make up the difference in quantity. With my higher ceilings, I'm able to go longer in vegetation before I go into flower. I get more produce with bushes then shrubs.

You're going to get some really good info from a lot of people in the next day. Good luck and happy growing. I have to go out and watch the meteors.

I use 2 bloom rooms, both are 10x10 and both have 4800w. Room A has (2) 1000w HPS, (2) 1000w MH, (1) 400w HPS, (1) 400w MH, this is the room that plants go from veg to flower in, obviously set on the 12/12 light cycle with 1400 more watts of MH which I swear helps the plants fully adjust from veg to flower. Room B has (2) 1000w HPS/MH Dual Arc, (1) 1000w HPS, (1) 1000w MH, and (2) 400w HPS, they are set up where they are grouped together so as the perpetual harvest comes the plants rotates to 100% HPS to finish out flowering. I find it is more control with every aspect and you generally can space your plants out better if you have more then 1 flower room. For veg I have 1 that is 8x18 which is almost too much room for the amount of plants I can house.

I know! I'm pretty excited of the possibilities! It's going to grow as my bank account grows... :)

I have a Veg room down there too that's not shown in the pictures above. I'm definitely going to enclose the space shown in the picture. But that's what my question is for this thread. Should I turn this space into more than 1 flower room?

Perhaps I could buy smaller buckets for one of the flower rooms?

If you want to see more pictures:

http://www.hydroponi...-grow-room.html

I would have a couple flower rms since you have the space! You never know when you will need it!

You may not have all the $ you need for all the equip, but you will always be wanting to expand, I promise, so make sure you build it big if your getting into it or stay home!

You can make your plant grow anyway you want it too! dont forget that, height is only a problem in big spaces if you dont know how to use your imagination!

Good luck to you!

Peace

FTW

Jim

one benefit of running more than one flower room, is the ability to cut down on the purchase of ballasts. instead of your ballast just sitting there powered down for 12 hours every day, it could run one flower room for 12 hours and then be switched to run another for the next 12.

depending on your set-up, it could be easier to vent/keep cool a couple smaller rooms rather than one large one.

running 2 rooms at opposite times will distribute your power load as well. once again, specific to you and your room, but for for folks with many thousands of watts it may be better to run half during the day and the other half at night.

if none of these things apply to you, then go with one room. growers choice :)

one benefit of running more than one flower room, is the ability to cut down on the purchase of ballasts. instead of your ballast just sitting there powered down for 12 hours every day, it could run one flower room for 12 hours and then be switched to run another for the next 12.

BG, this might be dumb but I have no idea, can you split your ballasts to two lights and since they are on alternating timers they will be just fine since only one bulb is fired or do you literally have to take your ballast and unplug reflector a and plug in reflector b? If you can split your ballasts and have them wired you may have just saved me 2k...

depending on your set-up, it could be easier to vent/keep cool a couple smaller rooms rather than one large one.

running 2 rooms at opposite times will distribute your power load as well. once again, specific to you and your room, but for for folks with many thousands of watts it may be better to run half during the day and the other half at night.

if none of these things apply to you, then go with one room. growers choice :)

Hmmmmm...... It sounds like I could save money on some ballasts....

Are you telling me that I have to be there every single 12 hours in order to switch the plug on the ballast? Is there an easier way? That's a deal breaker if that's the case. :)

BG, this might be dumb but I have no idea, can you split your ballasts to two lights and since they are on alternating timers they will be just fine since only one bulb is fired or do you literally have to take your ballast and unplug reflector a and plug in reflector b? If you can split your ballasts and have them wired you may have just saved me 2k...

I think that's the same question I have.

IMO-- one large room with the plants set up in row under light movers is your best bet-- one row per grow.

Uses just ONE venting system, one intake system, one filtration system etc... just multiple lights on movers...AND the lighting 'over-laps" at the edges, so there is less light "drop-off" and more used light....

Just be sure to make everything lightproof and clean... paint or cover cement/unfinished walls and floors. You want to eliminate dust, mold etc... before you even add plants... then there is a lower chance of problems later!! (Especially in a basement!)

Be sure you have temperature control too!!!

I didnt read a good portion of the previous posts but on top of being able to stagger your cycles hit up your local grow store and ask them about a ballast switch box if you did separate rooms you could implement this into your multiple flowering rooms so one is on for 12 hrs then the switch box throws a switch changing the energy path to the lights in the other room allowing for one ballast to power 2 lamps

I didnt read a good portion of the previous posts but on top of being able to stagger your cycles hit up your local grow store and ask them about a ballast switch box if you did separate rooms you could implement this into your multiple flowering rooms so one is on for 12 hrs then the switch box throws a switch changing the energy path to the lights in the other room allowing for one ballast to power 2 lamps

Thanks for your input Rob420 ---- I was just waiting for you to tell me to go to Ann Arbor Health Collective to pick something up.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm just trying to think as far in advance as I can Broken.

I've just seen quite a few posts with people saying they have more than one Veg and / or Flower room. I was just wondering what the purposes for this were. I will most likely set aside space to make a room for breeding, but I'm not anywhere near that expertise yet! (Not on purpose at least! ;) )

Since I only have about 6'6" ceilings, I was thinking that perhaps one room can be with the light as high up as I can get it for larger plants and another room with the yo-yo's so I could lower the lights down for smaller sized flowering plants? I was also thinking for the future, in case I get any spider mite breakouts or another powdery mildew breakout. I think it would be safer in those conditions to be able to separate plants. Like a quarantine or something, maybe.

I don't know.....that's why I'm trying to get all of the input I can, BEFORE I set anything in stone.

Thanks for your input! :)

even if you only had one light you could just put something under your new plants in a perpetual grow to even up the tops.

I'm going to be using buckets daisy chained together. When you daisy chain things together, you can't raise any of the plants separately. The watering system won't work correctly or at all. It's gravity fed.

I have will have 4 rooms. 2 flower rooms 1 veg.-cloning. 1 drying-curring.

Advantages to 2 rooms for me are harvest 40 days or so, the alternating light cycles, and heat transfer from lighted room to dark room in these cold Mi nights

Archived