Who Likes Ice Fishing?

Afi

Who else here is addicted to ice fishing? I have been ice fishing since I was a little kid and it is my favorite pass time but most of my friends think I am crazy for going out on the ice. If anyone would like to meet up some time and enjoy the out doors let me know. I live in lenawee cty. but like to fish every where I wouldn`t mine checking out some new spots especially you guys up north. :D :D I have all the equipment to catch fish in luxury and would not mind teaching someone new if they were interested. If there is enough interest we could maybee even arrange a get together sometime let me know what you think. Peace Afi

Guest finallyfree09

Sounds great! Me and a couple buds have been watching the ice for days now. Should be enuf ice by this wknd.

We are currently discussing what lake or shanty is gona go on this year... Big lake or chippewa lake. Maybe lake cadillac or lake mitchell... Lots of walleye in up there.

Sounds great! Me and a couple buds have been watching the ice for days now. Should be enuf ice by this wknd.

We are currently discussing what lake or shanty is gona go on this year... Big lake or chippewa lake. Maybe lake cadillac or lake mitchell... Lots of walleye in up there.

Same here I am going to check a couple lakes tomorrow it will be good by this weekend for sure.

As a lover of nature, the ice is always calling me. To me, fish taste better when they're brought through a hole in crystallized water.

Clark lake in Jackson Michigan is already doable.

I haven`t fished there since I was a kid I will have to check it out. I am thinking about hitting stoney lake tomorrow. How much ice is there? I like 3 to 4 " to feel safe.

I haven`t fished there since I was a kid I will have to check it out. I am thinking about hitting stoney lake tomorrow. How much ice is there? I like 3 to 4 " to feel safe.

People are fishing Stoney as I type. You just have to know somebody who lives on it since it's a private lake.

LOL you read my mind!! I was just about to start this exact topic!! Im game anytime to hit the ice. I got PLENTY of extra gear if anyone wants to try it out or is missing something just let me know! Thinking about heading out this weeked if the ice is thick enough.

A get together is a great idea!

Anyone gonna be at tip-up town this year?

I have a secret ice fishing bait to share that you might want to try !

Look for tall weeds still standing through the snow this time of year along the edges of cornfields for example and look for milkweed weed with a large bulb in the middle of the stalk. Break it off above and below and take it with you and save them until you are ready to go fishing.

When you are ready to bait the hook; crack open the marble size bulb and inside you will find a sweet little worm !

She will be white and about as big as three grains of rice .

Be careful at this point because sometimes the fish will jump right out of the hole to get it before you even bait the hook. Ok that part may have been enhanced .

Perch love these and have a hard time stealing them off the hook. One or two should last all night.

I have a secret ice fishing bait to share that you might want to try !

Look for tall weeds still standing through the snow this time of year along the edges of cornfields for example and look for milkweed weed with a large bulb in the middle of the stalk. Break it off above and below and take it with you and save them until you are ready to go fishing.

When you are ready to bait the hook; crack open the marble size bulb and inside you will find a sweet little worm !

She will be white and about as big as three grains of rice .

Be careful at this point because sometimes the fish will jump right out of the hole to get it before you even bait the hook. Ok that part may have been enhanced .

Perch love these and have a hard time stealing them off the hook. One or two should last all night.

I have heard of those before but never used them I believe there called corn borers.

LOL you read my mind!! I was just about to start this exact topic!! Im game anytime to hit the ice. I got PLENTY of extra gear if anyone wants to try it out or is missing something just let me know! Thinking about heading out this weeked if the ice is thick enough.

A get together is a great idea!

Anyone gonna be at tip-up town this year?

I don`t know if I can make tip up town but sounds like fun. Are you from that area? I have a friend outside of Gladwin I can stay with was thinking about hitting some lakes over that way this winter. Most small lakes are ready so by the weekend you should be good.

Corn Borers ! You are right!

Thats what grandpa taught us to use to catch perch when I was a kid and man they work great.

I havent been on the ice in a long time , got to get outside more in the winter.

Nothing is better then fish through the ice!

Fresh Michigan panfish are the best through the ice. If you would like to get out and try it again let me know I will help you out.

I live in a small toane in Clare County. There are Two lake here in this town..Great fishing..Use to ice fish all the time..BUt since health issues do not allow me to enjoy ice fishing..I dont get out..BUT maybe as a group isce fishing party..possibley get me out..

Guest thequietone

I haven't been ice fishing in a few years, but I am planing on going out this year. People are setting up shanty's on Bass lake so there must be about 4 inches there. I am game for a get together so if it happens let me know.

Guest thequietone

Im in the West MI area. Very fimiliar with Bass Lake!! I grew up on Turk.

Wow, no kidding. My mom used to own the Turk lake market back in the early eighty's. If you're into ice fishing we should meet up at Bass lake sometime.

Hi ya'll! Talking of ice fishing gets my taste buds going. I much rather be on the cleaning and cooking end than catching end, I just can't stand the cold. HOWEVER, my husband LOVES LOVES LOVES to ice fish and would love to find someone around the Kalamazoo area to fish with, heck, I might even go once or twice if a shanty is involved! LOL I grew up in Northern Michigan and have ice fished before, but like I mentioned, I rather clean and cook the fish.

If there are any takers out there that would like a fishing partner in the Kalamazoo area, give me a shout, my hubby would love to go.

Dj

Wow, no kidding. My mom used to own the Turk lake market back in the early eighty's. If you're into ice fishing we should meet up at Bass lake sometime.

For sure! I will be making a couple trips back home here shortly.

Hi ya'll! Talking of ice fishing gets my taste buds going. I much rather be on the cleaning and cooking end than catching end, I just can't stand the cold. HOWEVER, my husband LOVES LOVES LOVES to ice fish and would love to find someone around the Kalamazoo area to fish with, heck, I might even go once or twice if a shanty is involved! LOL I grew up in Northern Michigan and have ice fished before, but like I mentioned, I rather clean and cook the fish.

If there are any takers out there that would like a fishing partner in the Kalamazoo area, give me a shout, my hubby would love to go.

Dj

I travel to BC usually every other weekend to see my lady. Been eyeballing some lakes out there...

oh, a bunch of ice fishers... I got questions...

How the eff do you not freeze your buns off? I understand people often use a house, but does that actually help? If it is warm, how in the heck do you keep the ice under the house from melting?

Thermals, sweats, good carharts or hunting clothes, micky mouse boots, and a portable heater!! Drilling holes with an auger will warm up anyone!! lol.

An open flame directly aimed at the ice wouldn't even put a dent in the ice. Snow is an ice fishermans worst enemy. The snow on top of the ice acts like insulation. But with 6"+ that doesn't even become an issue.

You should come out sometime!! Its more fun and not as cold as one might think.

I did try Ice Fishing once ,

But by the time I got the Ice Cube bait on the hook my hands were froze & then I don't think the fish could see the ice cube bait on the hook , It turned invisible in the water I think . Maybe next time I'll freeze up some Red Kool-Aid Ice Cubes & see if the fish by chance bite on them ,,, :rolleyes:

Archived