How To Cure

PadroPadro

Hello again

I am approaching harv/cure time and would like to make some improvements upon the last go I had at it. It worked out before but just wasn't at that peak overall to me. The fact that my strains this time around are 10 times frostier than before can't hurt either lol

So, my question is how are we curing on here? Temps, humidities, how do you keep it that way, trimming techniques, monitoring dryness/moisture level... speed dry vs extended dry times...

I am extremely proud of the way the garden is turning out, so I would like it to shine thru in the final stage...

Thank you

4 days on rack

3 days in brown paper bag

airtight glass jars burped 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day for a week. youll get a feel for how you like your nugs to break up.

after the 2 week period you may burp jars once a day or every other.

you will need to have a "feel" for your meds.

You must remember that the slower the dry and cure, the better the meds. I dry in a locker, hanging for anywhere from 7 to 10 days, depending on the relative humidity. Dry them until an average sized branch SNAPS when you bend it. Then I place them into a brown paper bag, just for good measure, usually for a day or two. At this point I remove the buds from the stems and put the buds into a canning jar. Every day I open the jars for about 20 minutes. As I close them up I exhale CO2 into the jars and close tight.

I use a small fan in my drying area, blowing air around, but not directly on the drying plants.

I don't suggest using apple peels, orange rinds or anything else. This increases the moisture level in the bud and could lead to mold problems. I would only use these techniques if I overdried the bud, to add moisture.

As for temps, I would shoot for about 65 to 75 degrees, temps to low result in much to slow of a dry, temps above 75 degrees will dry them to fast, leaving you with a very "green" tasting medicine. And for humidity, 45 - 55 % humidity is the range you want to shoot for...

Hope this helps...Peace...j.b.

We hang individual branches (already trimmed) in a finished room in our basement-- it is cool, dark and dry there-- if it is raining/damp- we use a dehumidifier in the room.

They hang from a towel-bar, and the larger buds we dry on a rack until they feel quite dry, and the stem bends only slightly before it snaps...

we then cut the buds into quart Mason Jars (loosely- not packed) and lid them tightly for 6-12 hours...

We then open them to breathe-- they will feel soft again... let them dry in the open jars laid on their sides for maximum exposure... when they feel dry again-- lid em tight overnight.

Keep this up until they are "just right"...

Now you can weigh it up and pack as you wish in the same jars.. lid em tight...

then remove the lid and air them out an our a day (as they cure- chlorophyll is released from the plants cell walls-- you want to let that out- or you get that hay/green smell)

We do this for up to 3 weeks... of course-- it gets sampled along the way to see how the cure is going! ;)

4 days on rack

3 days in brown paper bag

airtight glass jars burped 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day for a week. youll get a feel for how you like your nugs to break up.

after the 2 week period you may burp jars once a day or every other.

you will need to have a "feel" for your meds.

3 on the rack, 2 in brown paper bags, Open jars as needed usually. Aboust 7-10 day process best smoked after 14+ days off the plant

Hmm ok. What about environment? Temps n humidity control... fans?

Humidity is KEY, I found.

I followed BubbleGrower's instructions and hung mine for 72 hours. Friday evening to Monday evening. From there, I put it in brown bags until the following Saturday evening. So that's 5 days total.

My meds were way over dry. I believe his instructions called for 4 days...... I just couldn't get to it. I think he did his tutorial in July. Big difference in home humidity between July and December.

I would just use caution in the brown bags. Check the meds. I just let them go without checking....

Humidity is KEY, I found.

I followed BubbleGrower's instructions and hung mine for 72 hours. Friday evening to Monday evening. From there, I put it in brown bags until the following Saturday evening. So that's 5 days total.

My meds were way over dry. I believe his instructions called for 4 days...... I just couldn't get to it. I think he did his tutorial in July. Big difference in home humidity between July and December.

I would just use caution in the brown bags. Check the meds. I just let them go without checking....

this time of year..... when there is naturally no humidity outside, i have been going 3-4 days hanging, and then skipping the brown bags and going straight to jars. from here i may leave the lid totally off the jar for a day or 3. when the time is right, then i put the lid on the jar and begin the daily burp.

i LOVE the brown bag method, but have been slowly getting away from it........ solely because doing the jar thing w/ the lid left off for a couple days seems to be doing just as good.......... without the mess of paper strips. also, it damages the buds less as well.

i will probably re-do the tutorial sometime soon.

You must remember that the slower the dry and cure, the better the meds. I dry in a locker, hanging for anywhere from 7 to 10 days, depending on the relative humidity. Dry them until an average sized branch SNAPS when you bend it. Then I place them into a brown paper bag, just for good measure, usually for a day or two. At this point I remove the buds from the stems and put the buds into a canning jar. Every day I open the jars for about 20 minutes. As I close them up I exhale CO2 into the jars and close tight.

I use a small fan in my drying area, blowing air around, but not directly on the drying plants.

I don't suggest using apple peels, orange rinds or anything else. This increases the moisture level in the bud and could lead to mold problems. I would only use these techniques if I overdried the bud, to add moisture.

As for temps, I would shoot for about 65 to 75 degrees, temps to low result in much to slow of a dry, temps above 75 degrees will dry them to fast, leaving you with a very "green" tasting medicine. And for humidity, 45 - 55 % humidity is the range you want to shoot for...

Hope this helps...Peace...j.b.

That was a great answer! :thumbsu:

Definitely verifies a few things I was planning on doing. Good to see others confirming that. Thanks

Archived