Burton Planning Commission Approves Medical Marijuana Ordinance; Council To Vote In January

Croppled1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAP8frvD18

Burton Planning Commission approves medical marijuana ordinance; council to vote in January Published: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 5:03 PM Updated: Wednesday, December 15, 2010,

By Roberto Acosta | Flint Journal

BURTON, Michigan — City Council members will have their say on regulating medical marijuana businesses in January after the city Planning Commission approved guidelines for dispensaries, compassion clubs and growing facilities.

City attorney Richard Austin and Department of Public Works employee Amber Frost have been crafting the ordinance, which mimics the one created in Imlay Township, since October.

Under the proposed ordinance:

• Dispensaries, growing facilities, or compassion clubs must be at least 500 feet from another dispensary; 200 feet from a residential district; 1,000 feet from a school, nursery, licensed day care center or other building used for care or instruction of children; 1,000 feet from any church or other religious facility; and 1,000 feet from a public park.

• Dispensaries must be owned or operated by two unrelated primary caregivers. All employees would have to have either a primary caregivers card or a patient card issued by the state.

• Clubs and dispensaries could operate in the general business district and in the light industrial district. Growers could only operate in the light industrial district.

• Facilities could operate only between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.

• People under 18 years old will not be allowed inside any of the premises, unless they have a valid state medical marijuana registry card.

• Dispensaries must maintain records on where their inventory comes from.

• Businesses must have an alarm system, video surveillance cameras, and proper ventilation, must operate in an enclosed structure and will be subject to random inspections by the city and law enforcement.

A stipulation was removed calling for one caregiver per every 1,300 square foot of a building.

Jeremy Rupinkski, director of the Genesee County Compassion Club, questioned if requiring all employees working at one of the sites to possess a medical marijuana card would violate the equal employment opportunity laws.

“We just want to make sure they clarified that in the ordinance,” said Rupinski, who called the wording by the city “a positive-based ordinance headed in the right direction.”

“They seem open-minded to listen,” he said.

Rupinski has been in discussions with city officials about the ordinance and was pleased with what he read and the fact it “creates a clear path to operate” while addressing any concerns from the public.

Burton has good potential for drawing in medical marijuana business, with “a lot of retail and industrial space available” and many of the club’s members are from the area, Rupinski said.

City Council members must approve the ordinance twice before it becomes law. Businesses could begin opening in February or March if it is approved next month, Frost said.

please visit the source :

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/12/burton_planning_commission_app.html

• Clubs and dispensaries could operate in the general business district and in the light industrial district. Growers could only operate in the light industrial district

Hmmm. Need to read the full text, but that doesnt sound good. Will this restrict home grows to allow for dispensaries?

One could assume that it refers to commercial grow operations...

I'd be more concerned about the random inspections by local officials and LEO, understand why its in there, just an opportunity for abuse by overzealous inspectors.

They should have a provision that, much as with employees of MM operations, the inspectors must be registered patients or caregivers...

Guest Happy Guy

• Clubs and dispensaries could operate in the general business district and in the light industrial district. Growers could only operate in the light industrial district

Hmmm. Need to read the full text, but that doesnt sound good. Will this restrict home grows to allow for dispensaries?

There are a lot of people who live in the residential parts of Burton that just got severely screwed.

Rupinski has been in discussions with city officials about the ordinance and was pleased with what he read and the fact it “creates a clear path to operate” while addressing any concerns from the public.

Jeremy! I like you dude but are you freakin' blind to when you a screwing patients for your monopoly? All you care to comment on is that you want non patients to work there? You do realize how this looks don't you? They are creating a situation where patients can't grow at home so it makes a greater demand for the dispensaries. In other words, stealing the patients rights to make a dollar.

There are a lot of people who live in the residential parts of Burton that just got severely screwed.

Jeremy! I like you dude but are you freakin' blind to when you a screwing patients for your monopoly? All you care to comment on is that you want non patients to work there? You do realize how this looks don't you? They are creating a situation where patients can't grow at home so it makes a greater demand for the dispensaries. In other words, stealing the patients rights to make a dollar.

• Dispensaries must maintain records on where their inventory comes from.

In a way I really like Frank R's concept on inspectors . However :

Registaring issue again will not make many people happy as it is basically incriminating yourself (Federal Level ) and your not allowed to deduct expenses for growing Cannabis on Federal Forms per the Supreme Court . Evan though this activity is legal in your own State and self contained within it ? Nowhere is this activity restricted in the Constitution . Prohibition was the work of a few in Congress .Patrick Henry would be infuriated , others stated the following :

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded. "

Lincoln, Abraham to the Illinois Assmbly 1840

Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

"Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country." - Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President

"Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere." - George Washington, U.S. President

"We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption." - John Adams, U.S. President

"Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marihuana in private for personal use... Therefore, I support legislation amending Federal law to eliminate all Federal criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marihuana." - Jimmy Carter, U.S. President

"I inhaled frequently. That was the point." - Barack Obama, U.S. President

...for more

http://prorev.com/2009/02/pot-quotes-facts.html

They define a grow opp as 2 or more unrelated caregivers under 1 roof.

It doent restrict patient or caregivers at all, unless its 2 or more unrelated operating under 1 roof.

Guest Happy Guy

They define a grow opp as 2 or more unrelated caregivers under 1 roof.

It doent restrict patient or caregivers at all, unless its 2 or more unrelated operating under 1 roof.

You don't understand that two patients might live in the same house???? It didn't cross your mind?

Guest Happy Guy

Thank captain O.

It dont restrict patient at all. Have you read the ordinace.Its about businesses,not patient.

2 grows at the same location and you are considered a business correct? Only single grows per dwelling in areas zoned residential? Two growers and you are considered a dispensary? Keep log of inventory and also be inspected?

2 grows at the same location and you are considered a business correct? Only single grows per dwelling in areas zoned residential? Two growers and you are considered a dispensary? Keep log of inventory and also be inspected?

No, two patients at same location is OK, two related caregivers OK.

Two unrelated caregivers =grow opp.= business.

Im not in love with it, but its far from the worst Ive seen.

Guest Happy Guy

No, two patients at same location is OK, two related caregivers OK.

Two unrelated caregivers =grow opp.= business.

Im not in love with it, but its far from the worst Ive seen.

What's their definition of related?

Guest Happy Guy

My step brother and his girlfriend are both patients, they are not related(LOL). They live in Burton in the same home. They both grow their own plants. They are caregivers for each other too because they like the protection it affords each of them. They are among the patients that will have their rights stripped by the ordinance. Who negotiates for our community this way?

Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

Hohner harmonicas were not imported here until 1868, fours years after Lincoln's death. But who knows?, perhaps he was sent one as a gift. :abe:

My step brother and his girlfriend are both patients, they are not related(LOL). They live in Burton in the same home. They both grow their own plants. They are caregivers for each other too because they like the protection it affords each of them. They are among the patients that will have their rights stripped by the ordinance. Who negotiates for our community this way?

Have you read their entire proposed ordinance? I have.

This is about regulating potential medical marijuana businesses in Burton - NOT - home growers.

Same song, second verse.

Mizerman

Guest Happy Guy

Have you read their entire proposed ordinance? I have.

This is about regulating potential medical marijuana businesses in Burton - NOT - home growers.

Same song, second verse.

Mizerman

What Dlo said; Two unrelated caregivers =grow opp.= business.

Archived