Ebb And Flow ?

pipefitterman

been doing some research on cycle times for ebb and flow and i was wondering how long you guys run your pumps for and how often?? does this cycle stay the same throughout or does it change as the plants grow? thanks in advance.

Big differences depending on what grow medium you're using! Rockwool retains moisture very well, as few as 2 floods a 24 hr. period are fine (although I use 5 or 6) ... Hydroton/clay pebbles are a different story, I know they need more, but I'm not qualified to advise.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

In Hydroton.....

Young plant cycle is 15min on every 6 hrs. Older plants can take 15mins on every 5 hrs.

7 or 8 cycles in 24hrs seams a lot. But I'm sure someone can prove me wrong.

How is the feeding going? Are you using ebb n flow table, buckets, or what? With hydroton in buckets I feed once every four hours.

I feed 4 times per day in veg, and 5 times a day in flower. I am ebb/flo in hydroton.

LHB: Every 3 to 4 hours? I wonder if my plants would like getting fed on that schedule? Have you ever fed less times per day? What made you change?

I have the same water schedule. 4 to 5 time for 15 mins Veg. 5 times Bloom 15 mins. Any more and they don't like it. Kush strains seam to take heavy watering better than most others. I still have yet to try aerating the table at watering.

Flood times vary depending on your pump speed, medium, plant size, and table capacity.

Fool proof method, put your pots/medium in your tray. Turn on the pump and note the time you turned it on, allow the tray (or bucket) to flood completely, then watch your media to see how long it takes to soak in the water. Check the clock again, tally the time, now you know your flood time. Generally, as soon as its filled it can be drained, but if you have large plants in tall pots and are relying on capillary action alone to wet the medium soak times may be longer.

Dry time can be done similarly, after the flood observe the length of time until the media is mostly dry. Like someone said, rockwool holds a bunch of water, so does 100% coco, but perlite and expanded clay hold less and dry faster. The dry time will get shorter as plants age, and will peak generally at mid flower. So be vigilant and make flood times more frequent as plants age. This is generally more of a concern the longer you veg for though.

I feed 4 times per day in veg, and 5 times a day in flower. I am ebb/flo in hydroton.

LHB: Every 3 to 4 hours? I wonder if my plants would like getting fed on that schedule? Have you ever fed less times per day? What made you change?

I've just always done it that way. every 3 or 4 hours is easy to set on a timer. we have the same basic systems accept I pump air thru a 4" airstone into each pot 24/7

• 3 months later...

been doing some research on cycle times for ebb and flow and i was wondering how long you guys run your pumps for and how often?? does this cycle stay the same throughout or does it change as the plants grow? thanks in advance.

Youll get lots of misinformation.You want the complete cycle no longer than 30 minutes from start of flood to finish of drain.And frequency depends on what size and age your plants are.Younger plants flood more frequently,older with good root base can be flooded less frequently....Been doing it for years and always done awesome.Any particular questions you may whisper me.