Airstones And Ph Rise... My Test Results

Mine still drift even w/o the air, but I know it's a contributing factor .

Everybody experiences drift. But I just don't have it outside of a .3 in either direction throughout the grow.

I also don't experiment when it comes to my nutrients and how I run my system. It takes time to build up a routine and dial your equipment in. I have used the Luca formula http://www.rollitup.org/hydroponics-aeroponics/4387-lucas-formula.html for years and it's by far the simplest and cheapest formula out there.

But this was about bubblers. Try doing DWC or RDWC without them.

Air-stones are not a contributing factor for uncontrollable PH shifts. If they're causing a small shift it just doesn't matter.

• 10 years later...

Literally experiencing this problem after running tests with diff air stones and used glass beakers for my study I made 2 beakers with an air stone one with pH 5.8 distilled water the other with pH 5.8 water with 3 parts advanced nutrients at 4mL/L. I also had a control with no stone in just distilled pH 5.8 water and a fourth with no air stone and 4mL/L advance nutrients 3 part water at pH 5.8. I tried this with 3 different brand Amazon purchased air stones and I found pH change occur only in the beakers with pH5.8 with only 1 of the 3 air stones in 5.8 water with  the pH in those beakers rising to 7.0 over 12hrs and the water turned cloudy white/gray. I hypothesize it is certain calcium or other mineral containing airstones manufactured in China that react with the phosphoric acid used to adjust the pH this neutralizes the acid over time. Because in my test it never went above 7.0 and the other airstones stayed within 0.1 of the original pH over the course of days. I say this is a matter of poor quality airstones. Because these were in fact the chaired 3in air stones I ever seen in my life.

Edited by Bullfritzewt

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 11:46 AM, Bullfritzewt said:

Literally experiencing this problem after running tests with diff air stones and used glass beakers for my study I made 2 beakers with an air stone one with pH 5.8 distilled water the other with pH 5.8 water with 3 parts advanced nutrients at 4mL/L. I also had a control with no stone in just distilled pH 5.8 water and a fourth with no air stone and 4mL/L advance nutrients 3 part water at pH 5.8. I tried this with 3 different brand Amazon purchased air stones and I found pH change occur only in the beakers with pH5.8 with only 1 of the 3 air stones in 5.8 water with  the pH in those beakers rising to 7.0 over 12hrs and the water turned cloudy white/gray. I hypothesize it is certain calcium or other mineral containing airstones manufactured in China that react with the phosphoric acid used to adjust the pH this neutralizes the acid over time. Because in my test it never went above 7.0 and the other airstones stayed within 0.1 of the original pH over the course of days. I say this is a matter of poor quality airstones. Because these were in fact the chaired 3in air stones I ever seen in my life.

Thank you for the valuable information! I think for many it'll be useful

• 2 months later...

Who ever posted this , thank you , I’m having a lot of issues pH ing ! So frustrating! I take my time to make sure the ph is 6.0-6.3 before I change my reservoirs ,  I check double check and even triple check than I let it sit for about 20 min and check it again and the pH remains 6.0-6.3  than  I fill the the reservoirs which contain the air stones and within only a few hours I’m at a 7.2 !! I not only have a calibrated pH meter but I also use the drops just to double check . thank u for ur post . Question is do I mix nutes and ph at 5.0 than add to tanks or do I continue at 6.0 , wait a few hours than pH down ?  

The first thing to think about is whether the PH fluctuations are affecting your plants. Are you experiencing problems with nute lockout? Are you having trouble with leaf burn or curling leaves? If you aren't having any of these problems then your PH levels aren't out enough to be causing you trouble.

PH fluctuates as the nutrients are absorbed by the plant. Fluctuations also occur due to CO2 levels in the water. Let your water sit for 24 hours before adding anything. This gives it time for the CO2 levels to adjust to the surrounding atmosphere and stabilize the PH level.

When your water has had time to stabilize add your nutes and then check again. Most fertilizers are acidic and as your plant absorbs them the water  becomes less acidic.

Water temperature also has an effect. As the temps increase CO2 evaporates from the water and changes the levels. I always found it easier to balance PH in a large reservoir than  individual tanks. The temps stay more stable and there is less change.

It will drive you crazy if you try chasing every little change in PH. If it's off a little bit let it sit for awhile then check again. A good experiment would be to check hourly without making any adjustments and see how much it changes throughout the day. You may be surprised at the results.

Keep the levels in the neighborhood but if they aren't perfect all day don't sweat it unless you actually see growth problems.

23 hours ago, Stevesweeds said:

Who ever posted this , thank you , I’m having a lot of issues pH ing ! So frustrating! I take my time to make sure the ph is 6.0-6.3 before I change my reservoirs ,  I check double check and even triple check than I let it sit for about 20 min and check it again and the pH remains 6.0-6.3  than  I fill the the reservoirs which contain the air stones and within only a few hours I’m at a 7.2 !! I not only have a calibrated pH meter but I also use the drops just to double check . thank u for ur post . Question is do I mix nutes and ph at 5.0 than add to tanks or do I continue at 6.0 , wait a few hours than pH down ?  

Test your theory. Do the same thing without air stones, just open air lines. If it's the air stones then get a different kind of diffuser. 

On 8/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, Stevesweeds said:

I don't know what to tell you as i haven't done much hydro of my own, just hellped in some rooms. I do know that in my aero cloner, i get a big ph rise the first 24hrs. What i do is ph to 4.8 and it is always between 5.7 and 5.9 the next day. So i think it could work. It also stays stable after this initial rise.

Edited by glued gorilla

It's all going to come down to what chemicals are in your water and what kind of buffer that's in your nutes, 

It's always going to creep in one direction or another. Get used to it so it's predictable.

I have a separate res for nute mixing and calibration. The water stays in there with air stones for a day before it goes in any res. with roots in it. When I need to adjust ph I pump it all back in there, adjust, then use it again. All my indoor grows are automated with auto fillers from that separate res. I have hydro and aero grows that both get the same solution from the auxiliary reservoir.