Mothers Who Drugged Us .....

Mothers who drugged us .......

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine

lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me

a rhetorical question,

''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied: I had a drug problem when I was young.......

I was drug to church on Sunday morning.

I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my paarents, told a lie,

brought home a bad report card,did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher,

or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I

uttered a profane four-letter word.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and rocks out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some

poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop

some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime

as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything

I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin;

and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

I am a pretty old guy, but I am blessed to have both my mother and father alive today. They drug me to most of those places and I appreciate them so much! I am dragging them to my house today for a Christmas dinner, such as it is. I am dragging my son and his wife and my grand kids along as well, in the hopes that some day they will remember how they used to be drug by grandpa and maybe it made them a better individual human being. They will probably be drug through stories, games, laughter, tears, and love. I am grateful that my parents drug me like they did. Now they have been preparing to drag me along to the higher dimensions when our time comes to depart this temporal realm, and I hope to be like them some day...spock.jpg

I thought we were talking about actually being drugged by our mothers.

My mother had me on Ritalin for years because I was hyperactive, and she couldn't handle it.

I love her dearly, but there is still a tiny part of me that resents that.

you should have put yours in her food and she would have been able to keep up with ya!:thumbsu:

Peace

FTW

Jim

I thought we were talking about actually being drugged by our mothers.

My mother had me on Ritalin for years because I was hyperactive, and she couldn't handle it.

I love her dearly, but there is still a tiny part of me that resents that.

Don't be angry with her.

I grew up with a brother that had ADHD(we didn't know that is what it was at the time). He was on EVERYTHING. It was horrible. But, the doctors tell you to give your children this medication and you think it is what you are supposed to do. Because a doctor won't give you something that will hurt ya! Especially 15 or so years ago that was the mind set.

And, if you were anything like my brother. I hate to say this but it really disrupts the whole family. The other kids get pushed to the side because the one needs so much more attention, even if it is only fordoctor appointments, and psy visits. It takes away from the family time. But, it wasn't only appts with him. There were the almost daily outbursts. Wondering if he was going to try to start a fire in the middle of the night, I really could soooo go on. But, I won't lol

My mom would have done anything to find a magic pill to make her family whole. I'm sure yours would have too..........

It truely Breaks my heart to See my Grand-children

placed on Medication that makes them Calm ....

To see My Grandson w/ such Good Character

and becuase their Parents are divorced and the

the mother living w/ a man my age .

It's just easier for them to give him pills

Instead of being parents to their children ....

Pills are Todays Doctors Answer for Everything ....

We use to see my grandson on a regular basis ,

But not any more ....

It ANGERS Me , knowing that my grandson is being

Mentally Abused and there is Nothing i can do ...

It truely Breaks my heart to See my Grand-children

placed on Medication that makes them Calm ....

To see My Grandson w/ such Good Character

and becuase their Parents are divorced and the

the mother living w/ a man my age .

It's just easier for them to give him pills

Instead of being parents to their children ....

Pills are Todays Doctors Answer for Everything ....

We use to see my grandson on a regular basis ,

But not any more ....

It ANGERS Me , knowing that my grandson is being

Mentally Abused and there is Nothing i can do ...

I hear that bro, my great nephew is on riddelin! he is 10, honest to god, he was such a pain in the butt, I love him like he is my own, he was so disruptive and badly behaved, now they got him on meds, and he is like a zombie!!! Id rather have him distrubing the peace than being a zombie, I truly believe some may need a pill, but no where near as many that they have on them, unfortunatly my neice (the boys mother) is a great mom, stay at home, he got bad grades and caused caos in his class at skewl and at home, its sad, and she is trying to give him less, but he can tell now when he is getting wound up and asks for his pill to remain calm,,truly sad!

Merry Christmas Bro!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Don't be angry with her.

I grew up with a brother that had ADHD(we didn't know that is what it was at the time). He was on EVERYTHING. It was horrible. But, the doctors tell you to give your children this medication and you think it is what you are supposed to do. Because a doctor won't give you something that will hurt ya! Especially 15 or so years ago that was the mind set.

And, if you were anything like my brother. I hate to say this but it really disrupts the whole family. The other kids get pushed to the side because the one needs so much more attention, even if it is only fordoctor appointments, and psy visits. It takes away from the family time. But, it wasn't only appts with him. There were the almost daily outbursts. Wondering if he was going to try to start a fire in the middle of the night, I really could soooo go on. But, I won't lol

My mom would have done anything to find a magic pill to make her family whole. I'm sure yours would have too..........

Hey, no one said having kids was going to be a walk in the park, and when you have one that presents a few more minor challenges then the average kid, that IS NO EXCUSE to drug them.

Do you have any idea what the long term effects of Ritalin use are?

Have you seen a child on Ritalin first hand?

If you answered no to either of those questions, perhaps you should do a little research, and educate yourself before you go around excusing the behavior of my mother, and other parents looking for an easy way out.

It makes zombies out of kids, and sets them up for a whole host of problems down the road.

Sorry if that came out harsh, drugging kids is a sore spot for me.

P.S. they have made massive advances in the treatment of hyperactivity through diet, the days of having to drug up your kids are over, but people who don't want to take a little extra time to help their children still use them, and that's sad IMO.

Mothers who drugged us .......

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine

lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me

a rhetorical question,

''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied: I had a drug problem when I was young.......

I was drug to church on Sunday morning.

I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my paarents, told a lie,

brought home a bad report card,did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher,

or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I

uttered a profane four-letter word.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and rocks out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some

poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop

some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime

as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything

I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin;

and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

I agree.

Hey, no one said having kids was going to be a walk in the park, and when you have one that presents a few more minor challenges then the average kid, that IS NO EXCUSE to drug them.

Do you have any idea what the long term effects of Ritalin use are?

Have you seen a child on Ritalin first hand?

If you answered no to either of those questions, perhaps you should do a little research, and educate yourself before you go around excusing the behavior of my mother, and other parents looking for an easy way out.

It makes zombies out of kids, and sets them up for a whole host of problems down the road.

Sorry if that came out harsh, drugging kids is a sore spot for me.

P.S. they have made massive advances in the treatment of hyperactivity through diet, the days of having to drug up your kids are over, but people who don't want to take a little extra time to help their children still use them, and that's sad IMO.

I was just trying to help you to see the other side.

And what my "brother" put us through was not "A few minor challenges" It was HELL living with him.

I actually am an only child. My mom and dad became legal guardian to my mom's brother's 2 children, due to drug abuse etc. Not long later my parents divorced.

My mother is a special education teacher. She KNOWS how to deal with kids that act out.

This wasn't just a little hyper boy. This was a boy that would have killed us all in our sleep..........if given the opportunity. He trashed EVERY classroom he was allowed in. He woke

me up in the middle of the night dancing around my bed with the Turkey lifters(ya know those little pitch forks) and pretending he was going to stab me.

He was hospitalized for his acting out behaviors, his aggression, his total anger toward the world.

He has now been in prison most of his adult life.

It is VERY sad. It hurts my heart!

Perhaps you are one of the ones that didn't need medication. I don't know your circumstances. My brother was on Ritalin, Lithium, Trazadone, Heck, I can't even rememer everything he was put on.

I know what it did to him. I saw the horrible constipation he would go through, or the sleepiness. Or sleeplessness depending on the meds.

Do I think medications are good for our kids?

Heck no!

I just thought you may want to see the other side. In my brother's case it wasn't because he wasn't loved that he was put on meds. It was because he WAS loved.

^ Should have beat his little asss more. That would have taught him. :rolleyes:

LOLOL~~~~~~

Azzzzz beatings did NOTHING to him.

He would take it and move on. He was grounded, beat, every privileged taken away.......nothing mattered when he was in the "zone"

I remember one summer he sast in his room pretty much the whole time. There was nothing in there but his bed and dresser. Everything else had been taken out.

Probably prepared him for jail..........

I was just trying to help you to see the other side.

And what my "brother" put us through was not "A few minor challenges" It was HELL living with him.

I actually am an only child. My mom and dad became legal guardian to my mom's brother's 2 children, due to drug abuse etc. Not long later my parents divorced.

My mother is a special education teacher. She KNOWS how to deal with kids that act out.

This wasn't just a little hyper boy. This was a boy that would have killed us all in our sleep..........if given the opportunity. He trashed EVERY classroom he was allowed in. He woke

me up in the middle of the night dancing around my bed with the Turkey lifters(ya know those little pitch forks) and pretending he was going to stab me.

He was hospitalized for his acting out behaviors, his aggression, his total anger toward the world.

It is VERY sad. It hurts my heart!

Perhaps you are one of the ones that didn't need medication. I don't know your circumstances. My brother was on Ritalin, Lithium, Trazadone, Heck, I can't even rememer everything he was put on.

I know what it did to him. I saw the horrible constipation he would go through, or the sleepiness. Or sleeplessness depending on the meds.

Do I think medications are good for our kids?

Heck no!

I just thought you may want to see the other side. In my brother's case it wasn't because he wasn't loved that he was put on meds. It was because he WAS loved.

Irish, come on, I think this is a little more then a simple case of ADHD in your brothers case.

Kill you in your sleep??

Burn down the house???

Bit more then a hyper kid I'd say.

Me, I was a smart, active kid, with a lot of energy, and that got the shi t drugged out of me by my mother, and that's not right.

As far as "Perhaps you are one of the ones that didn't need medication"

90% of the kids on Ritalin don't need to be on it, IMO.

What they really need is a more patient, understanding parent, who is willing to work at finding a better solution(diet) then just tossing the kid on a bunch of drugs.

"My mom would have done anything to find a magic pill to make her family whole. I'm sure yours would have too.........."

I'm a little surprised to hear someone on an alternative med site advocating the use of harsh prescription drugs on children.

My brother was on Ritalin, Lithium, Trazadone, Heck, I can't even rememer everything he was put on.

You talk about how bad you thought he needed to be on the drugs, but at the same time, how bad the side effects were on him, and what was the final result?

In prison most of his adult life.

Still think drugging kids is the way to go?

I think your brother is an excellent example of why not to drug the hell out of a kid.

You talk about how bad you thought he needed to be on the drugs, but at the same time, how bad the side effects were on him, and what was the final result?

In prison most of his adult life.

Still think drugging kids is the way to go?

I think your brother is an excellent example of why not to drug the hell out of a kid.

Did you read the end of my post at all?

I said I DO NOT BELIEVE IN MEDICATING Children!

I am just trying to show you that at that time, people totally trusted in what the doctors were telling them. Many still do!!!!

I have already stated that my mom is a special education teacher.......I know all about lazy parenting, and how the tv or playstation, or what have you, becomes a babysitter. I know all too well how parents think the teachers are responsible for teaching their children EVERYTHING from wiping their butts, to manners. But yet, in the next breath they will "go down to that school and put that teacher in her place!" "It's not THEIR kid that starts the problems"

And, for the record.........ADHD is all my brother is diagnosed with.

So, for you to be so judgmental, is a bit surprising as well................

I suppose I shouldn't have spoken up in defense of your mother. Everyone's situation is different.

I was just trying to make you feel better..........I see that didn't work.

Archived