Bubblegrower's Bubble Scrog (Screen Of Green)

Grow Thread

well, it is finally here.

i ran out of things to grow-n-show to help out others............ but one thing we lack around here is a good step by step scrog journal.

so here i go :)

scrogs are a great way to grow. especially for the vertically challenged grow room, or the grower trying to get max production out of a single plant indoors. one negative about a scrog is normally once you plant it, its stuck. this will be a TOTALLY MOBILE SCROG.... since the plant and tote are going to be inside the dog cage, i can easily slide the entire cage around if needed.

i am going to use the "Blubonic" strain from breeder "Spice of Life". i think it will be a good choice. this will be a great way to take many many cuttings/clones, and then when the time comes to flower her, i will not have a giant mess of a unruly tree to fit under a light somewhere. so she will be a mother plant of sorts.......

on with the build.

easiest scrog build ever. ok, close to it. i have an old dog cage:

gallery_13801_513_44787.jpg

no, thats not my dog :) but its the same cage.

here is a link to the exact cage im using: http://www.thepetsto...nnel-large.html

this cage should be a good size for a single plant scrog. as you can see, the wire mesh is about 1" x 4" and thats not great for scrogging. i have found that either 2" x 2" or even 3" x 3" works best.... no smaller though. i took the black plastic tray out of the cage (it now serves as the floor in my breeding room) and i flipped the cage over. BINGO!!

the spaces on the bottom are much bigger. so i grabbed some nylon string and started filling in the big gaps:

gallery_13801_513_7803.jpg

gallery_13801_513_98176.jpg

when i finished with the string, i ended up with 72 squares. roughly 2" x 3" in our scrog screen which is almost exactly 2ft x 3ft. perfect for a 400w lamp.

i'll be using one 10gallon tote for one plant. there will be a drain hole on the side of the tote and a fill/check hole through the top.

BUT, the next, and one OF THE MOST IMPORTANT PARTS of your scrog is the distance from your medium to the screen. it doesnt matter if you are going soil or hydro, the space between the top of your bucket/tote/pot to your screen should be 8-12".

i had to put a block under the tote to raise it up closer to the screen. this is a good thing though because with the tote raised off the ground, i can put a drain valve on it. it will make draining the tote much easier for flushing. as you can see, it is exactly 10" from the top of the tote to the screen. this should be perfect.

gallery_13801_513_60616.jpg

and i just happen to have a 10" plant ready to show off for us too.

later tonight i will get the cage in its new home, get the plant in there, get a light on it, and get more pics.

since the plant will be touching the screen as soon as i put her in there tonight, all the bending, twisting, and weaving of the branches will begin right away.

should be a fun ride.... feel free to pull up a chair and ask as many questions as come to mind.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, we are ready for go.

everything is set up and we are officially scrogging. im using an old magnetic ballast, transformed into a cheapie remote setup with a 18" batwing reflector. i picked up a new 400w MH lamp for the occasion: http://www.4hydropon...o=sunmasterWarm

one change though.... i had intended to put a drain plug on the bottom of the tote to assist with flushing. i thought i was going to find an easy way to let gravity do the work...... but from only a few inches off the ground, it just doesnt seem feasible right now.

so what i have done, is embedded a small (and i mean small) water pump into the tote permanently. i

it is this pump (the $7 - 40gph) http://www.4hydropon...activeAquaPumps

i am a stickler for making sure my totes are sealed from any bad stuff, so i drilled an extra 2" hole in the lid. i ran my power cord and water tube for the small water pump through that hole and then sealed it off with a 2" netpot and neoprene insert. the water pump has a 1/4" outlet.... perfect size to hook up airline to pump out water when needed. just plug it in and watch it all get pumped to an empty bucket........ i will be filling and checking levels/ppm/temp/ph and all that through the same hole as well:

gallery_13801_513_20174.jpg

and here we are all set up. the plant is a bit droopy from being out of her water for a few minutes, but she will perk right back up.

you can see the branches are just now starting to grow through the screen. within a day or two they will be 2-3" inches above the screen and i will start pulling them back through and directing them where i want them to go. many many more pics to come along the way:

gallery_13801_513_100221.jpg

gallery_13801_513_65922.jpg

gallery_13801_513_91975.jpg

gallery_13801_513_70140.jpg

i have already taken 4 clones off of her and plan to take many more as we grow her out and fill the entire screen.

Edited by bubblegrower

Funny enough I just picked up netting to do a scrog on my first plant that goes into flower. I got it from menards for free. They had the Christmas tree netting the fishing line kind and they let me have a bunch. Can't wait I will be here right along your ride.

WOW! i am all eyes and ears! Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I was just wondering / thinking about Scrogs!

Looking forward to following as always BG!

bad A$ BG!!! i might have to try one of these out... i have a spare kennel sitting around just begging to be used like this

:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

GLAD TO HAVE YA FOLKS!! :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Funny enough I just picked up netting to do a scrog on my first plant that goes into flower. I got it from menards for free. They had the Christmas tree netting the fishing line kind and they let me have a bunch. Can't wait I will be here right along your ride.

nice................. freebie :):thumbsu:

maybe i'm reading this wrong:

I just picked up netting to do a scrog on my first plant that goes into flower.

but thats one reason that i started this journal. i get a ton of questions about scrogging via p.m..

in a "true" scrog, the plants branches get woven in and out of the screen starting very early in veg.....until the screen is almost full.... then we flower.

maybe i misunderstood you?? anyways.... just trying to help :)

Edited by bubblegrower

3 or 4 days ago, the plant was about 8" tall. i topped it at that time. since then, each of the 2 new main branches have taken off and grown a couple inches.

you can see where i topped her here (actually may end up being a weak FIM :) )

gallery_13801_513_38449.jpg

and here you can see where i have completely separated those 2 top branches. (exact center of picture) they are going to be heading in opposite directions of the screen:

gallery_13801_513_25347.jpg

well, I had a whole list of questions then I read your post on the water pump and it answered all my concearns about flushing and all that. One question tho, when I flush and run my florakleen (every other week) I use scrubbed out clean totes, does the block in your cage leave enough room to get the old tote out and a fresh one in or is scrubbing my totes between harvests unnecessary? I thought it was the only way to get all the salts and residues out of there for an honest clean start. I was showing my growing buddy this and we want to give it a try we just had the few concearns, most which you disproved with the pump

well, I had a whole list of questions then I read your post on the water pump and it answered all my concearns about flushing and all that. One question tho, when I flush and run my florakleen (every other week) I use scrubbed out clean totes, does the block in your cage leave enough room to get the old tote out and a fresh one in or is scrubbing my totes between harvests unnecessary? I thought it was the only way to get all the salts and residues out of there for an honest clean start. I was showing my growing buddy this and we want to give it a try we just had the few concearns, most which you disproved with the pump

welcome aboard :)

usually, im just like you..... every time i flush, i use a freshly cleaned tote/bucket.

its not 100% necessary, but like you, i like to feel clean and safe :)

no, there is not enough room to replace the totes. she will be in that exact tote, without the lid ever being lifted, from now until the end.

you have no worries of buildups.... especially if you are using flora-kleen. i will actually be using the exact same thing for flushes.

I am wondering why you didnt just put a drain value on the tote??? would have been easier than the small pump and no internal parts to get clogged....

but with your bubble system, its going to be interesting if you let her veg for a week or 10 days, plus topping, you will have a an entire cage of green.....ECOG!!!!

as i stated above.... i would have... but the drain would have only been about 4" off the ground..... with my back in the condition it is in..... a drain tube 4" off the ground isnt gonna do me any good...... i would have to drain it into another bucket tote.... i cannot just let it drain onto the floor in there.... so it was pointless....

now i just have to push a plug in the wall and smile :)

and she's gonna veg for another 3-4 weeks.... we are just getting started :)

Edited by bubblegrower

so many people have the idea that the screen is just there to keep the branches spread apart.......... i cannot stress enough how false this is. the screen is there to weave the branches through.... just like sewing.... in and out..... in and out.... the plants branches are your thread and the screen is your fabric.

those 2 top branches in the pic above that are about 2 inches long.... will both be 2ft. long or longer before i flip to flower.... but all 2 feet of each branch will be woven around the screen in a big circle.... and all the side branches that they shoot out along the way will get woven to the edges of the screen.

always here to help. feel free to ask any questions that you may have along the way!!

--------------------------

where's Jipo?? i need a couple "skull-n-crossbones" stickers for the cage. it looks kind of evil.

gallery_13801_513_18898.jpg

gallery_13801_513_130218.jpg

were supposed to be freeing the weed! you aint putting a lock on that cage are you? lol

Interesting post, look forward to seeing how it goes, I have 3 of them cages I only need 2 when i go camping, I put up a tent for my dogs and put the kennels in there for thier safty and comfort at nite, who do you know that pitiches a tent for his dogs? (spoiled black labs)

Thanks B.G

Peace

FTW

Jim

:lol; Don't know why I haven't been here yet!! Pure genius though, as usual BG! I'm not gonna lie I laughed at the dog cage, then went and grabbed my friend because I know he has two of them!! :lol:

hey brudda........ whatever works :)

get them cages!!!

more scrog shots this evening...... still bending right now......... no weaving quite yet.... but we will be weaving in a couple days no doubt.

Dang you BG, I shake my fist in rage!!! :growl:

i have been LST a NL5, and a California Dream to toss in my dog crate, :)

gallery_15187_312_62239.jpggallery_15187_312_18264.jpg

gallery_15187_312_474702.jpggallery_15187_312_697863.jpg

more pics here: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/gallery/album/15187/312-misc/

i was gonna post after i had it set up, but ya beat me to it :notfair:

LMAO, i cant wait to see how they turn out :)

Edited by Hempcheff