Still Cant Clone

420 grower

srry to get off topic. While i feel the other method is cool for people with low counts, I myself have switched to a bubble cloner due to ease. I just dont have to keep them moist by hand. Id say to keep an eye on ur temps.... as long as they stay warm i have no problems with a bub cloner and rock wool. In fact my first try with the method i got 100 percent and most are ready to go at 8-9 days. i never get more than 30 percent using just rockwool...with cooler temps. As my clones get only ro water in the cloner, i feel the difference has to be the temps.

lol, on the contrary, you are ON TOPIC :)

the OP is using a bubblecloner now. feel free to spill more advice :)

So far, I've had 100% success with this cloner I got from Mr. Wilson.

A couple of cuttings haven't rooted yet and it turns out those are from a plant that had already starting flowering.

I know they'll still root. It will just take a bit longer. I picked up some more Clonex and I'm going to put some more on the cuttings from the flowering plant.

12.22.10%20008.JPG004.JPG007.JPG008.JPG

Mr. Wilson's Coleman Cloner

I use this same method but put them in soil cups or small pots instead of just setting them on the tray. Water with plain ph'd water once every day for the first week and your done. Pull them from the dome in 10 days and water them with a low dose of bloom nutes and slam them to veg. Yer done.............

The soil/rockwool method is fool proof and is the way I tell ALL new grows to clone. I use the small 4 inch pots for this and dont have to transplant till they're ready for bloom as the girls can grow dam big in that sized pot, and saves from transing to many times.

Being your on a well you'll need a good r/o system and not the watersoftner. Bypass that for your garden and get a good r'o filter system or buy r/o water. You'll be glad ya did as you'll be fighting that well water the whole grow. Prolly the reason ya can't clone. Use r/o water only for cloning and do the soil/rockwoll method and you'll not loose another clone.... :devil: :devil:

I have been using soft water for years. The plants have no problems with it. I use Potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride (salt) to regenerate the softener and I think this may make a difference. Other than that, it is softened well water and I have no problems with it whatsoever.

A very important point here to anybody imitating this approach described here by devil ... if you put a RW cube in soil, you have to be VERY careful to water it constantly. Moisture will equalize OUT of the RW cube to whatever the soil is .. in other words, dry soil will pull the moisture out of the RW cube (which normally will retain moisture for days).

I killed a batch of clones by doing exactly what devil describes here (think "oh cool, it'll just root straight into the dirt) ... but beware, this approach can go very wrong if you don't tend it constantly. Once roots are sticking out of the cube, no problem.

Ergo ... I keep them in a seedling tray, with a cover, until they root, just like Bubblegrower shows. I add a flouro shop light over the top and a mini ebb and flow reservoir under the tray so I don't really have to touch it until they root.

I do pre soak and warm my soil pots before I add the rockwool and water once dailey for the first week. Week 2 they get a shoot of bloom nute every other day till they come out of the dome. I've yet to kill a clone off doing this method and have done prolly 2000 this way. Biggest thing is prolly heat. Keep them warm no matter what method ya use. I use a old water bed heater for my clone trays and it works perfect. Set the temp to 79 degrees and yer done.

That's why I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried cups n soil rockwool And bubble cloner. I have a cple I've been werkin on for a couple weeks and their just dying. Now I'm real behind on perpetual as I'm about to harvest and have nothing to replace them. I am also using a heating pad.

are you misting them with a spray bottle daily?
i mist mine twice a day, it's the only way they can drink until they root.
pure r/o water only for me

my areo cloner bites....it takes 3 weeks to see roots, and all the top growth dies and is replaced with new growth. i now prefer rockwell cubes. they are much quicker for me, and less maint.

tn_gallery_8052_487_54439.jpg (after) tn_gallery_8052_487_12406.jpg

all the clones here were cut the same day, the cloner machine still hasent rooted yet, while the cubes are already in cups and soil. (the humidity dome in the middle is seedlings)
moms showing herself on the left there.

tn_gallery_8052_487_51867.jpgtn_gallery_8052_487_24702.jpg (before) 3 weeks ago

You dont need to keep the leaves whole when you make clones........I always snip about 1/3 to 1/2 of each leaf tip off the cutting.....They come out looking better in the long run......HJ

same here. clipping the leaves cuts down on the water needed by the plant while still leaving enough for food production.

also makes charting new growth easier.

well i was having very bad luck with cloning for 2 years. tried many different mediums,rooting hormones, bubble cloners etc. fail fail fail. then i tried rapid rooters n my rooting increased but still no luck. saw a post kinda like this one on a forum(maybe even this forum) that had recommended cloning using rapid rooters and placing them in ziploc bags. I had them in a enclosed container so i thought my humidity was fine but tried the ziplocs anyway. my success rate skyrocketed. worked for me so maybe you want to try it

I do pre soak and warm my soil pots before I add the rockwool and water once dailey for the first week. Week 2 they get a shoot of bloom nute every other day till they come out of the dome. I've yet to kill a clone off doing this method and have done prolly 2000 this way. Biggest thing is prolly heat. Keep them warm no matter what method ya use. I use a old water bed heater for my clone trays and it works perfect. Set the temp to 79 degrees and yer done.

Yeh, I didn't say it wouldn't work, if you tend them carefully/daily should work fine ... but putting them in dirt can go very wrong and I thought it would good for a newbie to know that. Regardless, I don't see that it's an advantage to stick them in dirt before roots appear. Maybe I'm missing the value you see in that.

Temperature... I would, sorry, dispute that. Early on (like 10 years ago when I learned to clone) I experimented with seedling mats, reservoir heaters and even space heaters ... ultimately I found that the cuts all rooted at about the same rate whether heat was used or not. I'm sure there's some limit after which it does cause a problem, but within normal temp variations within a heated structure, I don't think it will affect rooting at all.

Ok I've tried everything, I've decided to blame the water. When I started my grow I got a brand new well but maybe the softner? Bought a bunch of distilled water tonight with the clonex in the bubble cloner. Wish me luck...

OK i am going to add a grow library here fro you..and when open page right side down you will see a cloning spot. Click that..pictures adn every thing.. http://greenmanspage.com/guides/

Go to Ebay and buy one of these cloners for about $50 and I guarantee that you will have good clones in 4 days! I cut my clones and trim the leaves, take a very small cut, and I mean very small along the bottom of the stem, about 1/2", dip it in Clonex. My Cloner has rockwool in the net baskets. I make sure the water is PH correctly, right at 6.0. I use RO water because I have one. You can go to one of your local Meijers and get a couple gallons of RO if you want. I Hydro, so as soon as mine get roots i move them into my hydro set-up. i just put the rockwool cube into a bigger rockwool cube, and away we go!

• 2 years later...

assuming fresh water and oxygen are being supplied, and proper humidity/light/temps are followed, my spring water will support a bubbling clone, with no other nutrients added, for around 2 weeks after roots show, then some deficiencies appear as new growth begins above.  If I could see roots inside of the rapid rooter plugs I would transfer clones before the roots show outside.  The moment I see a root, they are transplanted into happy frog/pro mix immediately. I add no nutrients until they are put into flower, a couple few weeks later.

While cloning in domes with rapid rooters how long can you leave them in after they root? Its a great space saver to leave them in and let the roots grow. But when is the best time to transfer them to soil? Also does anyone light feed them at some point in the trays?

• 3 weeks later...

Poke 5 holes in the bottom of a party cup.  Fill with perlite.  Saturate with water.  Make a hole with a pencil or BBQ skewer, for the plant stem.  Take your cutting.  Let it sit in distilled water for 2 minutes to soften the stem.  Remove the outer layer of stem with a blade or scissors and dip into rooting powder.  Dab excess powder.  Place stem into cup.  Cover with sandwich bag, after misting inside of bag or dropping several drops of water inside.  Press the perlite firm around the stem, not disturbing the powder on the stem.

Leave it like this under 24/7 flouros.  Vent the bag after 3 days for an hour.  Vent the bag again on the fifth day, by allowing some air to get under the bag.  Remove on the seventh day and keep the perlite moist.

A little growing medium, such as pro mix in the perlite mix can sometimes help to manage the plants ability to root and grow. 

I have about 90%-100% success with this method.  On a bad run, it should still be good for 70% success. 

And no matter how often you've grown, you can still have runs with 70% failure.  It's just that sometimes luck plays its hand, good and bad.  A tiny contaminant on your scissors, old rooting powder, bad water, any little thing.  Even if you've been growing for 20 years, those bad runs of luck, timing or whatever happen.