Lowering Ph

mudshow

Hello, I am using a soiless mix, Fafard 3b. My Tap water is really high in ph. I was wondering if I sprinled lime in the top of the siol if that would buffer the ph for me. Thanks, I would appreciate your response.

Dolomite lime is a great ph buffer. I add a cup to my soiless mix when I mix my soil. Don't really know if sprinkling some on top will help or not though.

lemon juice will lower the ph of your water, and it is cheap!

ph your water to 7.0 then run it through your soil, collect the first few drops from the runoff and ph that,this will give an idea on where to set your ph..i also add the lime when i mix my soil 1-1/2 cups per cubic foot..my water goes in at 6.8 and comes out 6.8 and i can lower it easily with a drop of lemon juice..

Edited by bigtimm

Hello, I am using a soiless mix, Fafard 3b. My Tap water is really high in ph. I was wondering if I sprinled lime in the top of the siol if that would buffer the ph for me. Thanks, I would appreciate your response.

DONT DO IT.

Lime is used to buffer soil against pH changes caused by nitrogen-based fertilizers that cause pH to drop too low.

Lime will raise your pH - not lower it!

lemon juice will lower the ph of your water, and it is cheap!

Phosphoric or sulfuric acid is cheaper and more stable. Just gotta be careful mixing it. Sulfuric (battery) acid can be purchased at any auto parts store.

How to do it: https://www.greenpassion.org/index.php?/topic/25683-homemade-h2so4-battery-acid-ph-down/

Phosphoric or sulfuric acid is cheaper and more stable. Just gotta be careful mixing it. Sulfuric (battery) acid can be purchased at any auto parts store.

How to do it: https://www.greenpassion.org/index.php?/topic/25683-homemade-h2so4-battery-acid-ph-down/

Good advice. I've heard people disagree with the battery acid approach but I think they are thinking that the acid you buy at the store has lead in it. It doesn't It is sulfuric acid and costs less than pH Down.

Phosphoric acid is used for cleaning and etching concrete and is easily found at Home Depot, etc.

Good point.

The best thing to do is get the MSDS to see what is in the product before you buy it.

Sorry, but you can't trust the MSDS. Your biggest hint is anything but a clear liquid. For instance, Krud Cutter, which is widely available, does not list the foaming agent.

I quit guessing and went to only sulfuric acid a while back.

Sorry, but you can't trust the MSDS. Your biggest hint is anything but a clear liquid. For instance, Krud Cutter, which is widely available, does not list the foaming agent.

I quit guessing and went to only sulfuric acid a while back.

Are you aware of any sulfuric acid products that might have something else in there too? Or do you think it is pretty safe to go with any of the battery electrolyte products?

Or do you think it is pretty safe to go with any of the battery electrolyte products?

Yes,it's safe. The sulfuric acid you buy for batteries has only water as it's inert ingredient. Anything else would cause breakdown of the cores. That's why when you top off a battery, and you don't have more acid, you use only distilled water.