Michigan’S New Liquor Laws, What A Bunch Of Hypocrisy

Our lame duck legislature and governor decided that increasing access to alcohol is a good idea. :blink:

So now we can buy booze at 7:00am on Sunday, if our retailer has the new $160 license and the locals didn’t outlaw early morning sales.

We’re told this is good because more booze will sell = more tax revenue and because the new $160 license fee will generate badly needed revenue. Wow. This is just what we needed.

There are 16,000 liquor licenses in Michigan. This new application process will generate up to about $2.5million annually in new license fees if every existing licensee gets the new permit.

So we get more alcohol getting consumed by our residents which isn’t helping anybody and we get a lousy $2.5 million to stuff in the treasury minus the cost of administering the new program plus some sales tax on liquor. WHOOHOO The more we drink, the more we help the state. I'll have a double.

The people of the state of Michigan have decided that allowing sick people access to cannabis is a good idea.

The patient and caregiver license fees will (and already do) generate badly needed revenue.

If our lawmakers would put the seal of approval on broader cannabis distribution methods (collectives/dispensaries/p2p chains, etc. marijuana would be transferred and, in doing so, generate tax revenue. Licensing fees would likely apply as well.

According to the MDCH, revenue topped $1million in the first 9 months. Year 2 revenue was projected at about $1million to $2million.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch/727_03_01_10_313352_7.pdf

While our state lawmakers our encouraging us to drink more alcohol to help solve our budget problem, the people of the State of Michigan are hard at work growing their own medicine. The MDCH said, what, 60% of patients qualify for the reduced fee? 60%!! Anyone care to guess the burden MMJ is taking off taxpayer-funded healthcare for low-income folks?

I'll drink to that.

(I must have been drunk when I wrote this. I wish I could edit that capital "S" in the title. :angry: )

I'm all for more time to buy booze, what's it any of your business what I'm buying on sunday morning? Don't like booze? Don't buy it. Don't wanna drink in the morning, don't. Frankly I think its stupid there's a "time limit" on when I can buy booze and when I cannot...

Our lame duck legislature and governor decided that increasing access to alcohol is a good idea. :blink:

So now we can buy booze at 7:00am on Sunday, if our retailer has the new $160 license and the locals didn’t outlaw early morning sales.

We’re told this is good because more booze will sell = more tax revenue and because the new $160 license fee will generate badly needed revenue. Wow. This is just what we needed.

There are 16,000 liquor licenses in Michigan. This new application process will generate up to about $2.5million annually in new license fees if every existing licensee gets the new permit.

So we get more alcohol getting consumed by our residents which isn’t helping anybody and we get a lousy $2.5 million to stuff in the treasury minus the cost of administering the new program plus some sales tax on liquor. WHOOHOO The more we drink, the more we help the state. I'll have a double.

The people of the state of Michigan have decided that allowing sick people access to cannabis is a good idea.

The patient and caregiver license fees will (and already do) generate badly needed revenue.

If our lawmakers would put the seal of approval on broader cannabis distribution methods (collectives/dispensaries/p2p chains, etc. marijuana would be transferred and, in doing so, generate tax revenue. Licensing fees would likely apply as well.

According to the MDCH, revenue topped $1million in the first 9 months. Year 2 revenue was projected at about $1million to $2million.

http://www.michigan....10_313352_7.pdf

While our state lawmakers our encouraging us to drink more alcohol to help solve our budget problem, the people of the State of Michigan are hard at work growing their own medicine. The MDCH said, what, 60% of patients qualify for the reduced fee? 60%!! Anyone care to guess the burden MMJ is taking off taxpayer-funded healthcare for low-income folks?

I'll drink to that.

(I must have been drunk when I wrote this. I wish I could edit that capital "S" in the title. :angry: )

Great post,

I'm from the side that greatly appreciates anything that exemplifies a separation of church and state, which is the only reason Sunday alcohol sales existed in the first place.

i don't think he cares if people buy booze it's just the way the Government went about getting it done was his point IMO

Yes Bob, you're right.

You've been getting dragged through the system for nearly two years.

Meanwhile, our elected representatives can't seem to pass a budget without "the government is hutting down" drama....folks like you are in limbo....multiple government officials have asked the legislature to address the MMJ problem.....but they had more important things to do, like make sure Randy Colbry can swing by the liquor store on his way to church.

I don't care if someone uses alcohol as long as I'm not affected by it, and my tax dollars don't go to pay for health care for his liver disease. I don't see how creating new legislation and establishing a new program with all of the red tape is really the best use of our elected officials' time and our taxes.

Yes Bob, you're right.

You've been getting dragged through the system for nearly two years.

Meanwhile, our elected representatives can't seem to pass a budget without "the government is hutting down" drama....folks like you are in limbo....multiple government officials have asked the legislature to address the MMJ problem.....but they had more important things to do, like make sure Randy Colbry can swing by the liquor store on his way to church.

I don't care if someone uses alcohol as long as I'm not affected by it, and my tax dollars don't go to pay for health care for his liver disease. I don't see how creating new legislation and establishing a new program with all of the red tape is really the best use of our elected officials' time and our taxes.

Guest finallyfree09

this is along the same line as cannabis prohibition. what ever gave the government the right to tell me what time i can buy booze much less if i can buy it at all? same as the herb. none of their business and its also nobody elses business.

why can't people just mind their own darn business nowadays? LIVE AND LET LIVE

It is a little stupid for the gov to suggest that it will increase tax dollars. They will not sell any more. they just made it more convenient. You don't have to wait until that ungodly hour of noon on Suday to start drinking. :rolleyes: If this law was really that important to someone that they had to have a drink before noon they should seek some professional help.

Archived