Win In Ann Arbor

http://www.annarbor.com/news/protestors-applaud-ann-arbor-city-council-for-revisions-to-medical-marijuana-ordinance/

Dozens of medical marijuana advocates protested downtown before Monday night's Ann Arbor City Council meeting, decrying the city's proposed licensing regulations for the pot industry.

Marching up and down the sidewalk along Main Street, they chanted and carried signs with phrases like "Marijuana is NOT a crime!" and "Stop arresting patients!"

Several of those who protested — including dispensary owners, patients and advocates from throughout Michigan — also spoke before the council at the start of the meeting. Among their fears was that the city's proposed licensing rules would require their names to be on a list of caregivers and patients that could end up in the hands of federal agents.

"I don't want to have to join a registry with your city," said Brandy Zink of the Michigan Chapter of Americans for Safe Access, a pro-medical marijuana organization. She said she's a cancer survivor and epilepsy patient and frequently visits dispensaries in Ann Arbor.

Over the course of two hours, council members debated and carefully reworded the controversial licensing ordinance in a way that appeared to please the pro-cannabis crowd.

Despite making several changes, the council held off on voting on the reworked version. At the urging of Mayor John Hieftje, council members postponed the vote until Jan. 18, giving the city attorney's office a chance to fine-tune it some more.

If it passes on Jan. 18, a second reading and final approval likely will follow in February. The council also is expected to vote on medical marijuana zoning regulations by then.

Council Members Sabra Briere and Sandi Smith, both Democrats from the 1st Ward, offered up a series of amendments to the ordinance, which had been drafted by the city attorney's office.

The changes included eliminating licensing mandates for home grow operations. The council voted 6-4 to ensure the ordinance applies only to dispensaries and cultivation facilities.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/protestors-applaud-ann-arbor-city-council-for-revisions-to-medical-marijuana-ordinance/

Dozens of medical marijuana advocates protested downtown before Monday night's Ann Arbor City Council meeting, decrying the city's proposed licensing regulations for the pot industry.

Marching up and down the sidewalk along Main Street, they chanted and carried signs with phrases like "Marijuana is NOT a crime!" and "Stop arresting patients!"

Several of those who protested — including dispensary owners, patients and advocates from throughout Michigan — also spoke before the council at the start of the meeting. Among their fears was that the city's proposed licensing rules would require their names to be on a list of caregivers and patients that could end up in the hands of federal agents.

"I don't want to have to join a registry with your city," said Brandy Zink of the Michigan Chapter of Americans for Safe Access, a pro-medical marijuana organization. She said she's a cancer survivor and epilepsy patient and frequently visits dispensaries in Ann Arbor.

Over the course of two hours, council members debated and carefully reworded the controversial licensing ordinance in a way that appeared to please the pro-cannabis crowd.

Despite making several changes, the council held off on voting on the reworked version. At the urging of Mayor John Hieftje, council members postponed the vote until Jan. 18, giving the city attorney's office a chance to fine-tune it some more.

If it passes on Jan. 18, a second reading and final approval likely will follow in February. The council also is expected to vote on medical marijuana zoning regulations by then.

Council Members Sabra Briere and Sandi Smith, both Democrats from the 1st Ward, offered up a series of amendments to the ordinance, which had been drafted by the city attorney's office.

The changes included eliminating licensing mandates for home grow operations. The council voted 6-4 to ensure the ordinance applies only to dispensaries and cultivation facilities.

Good news, peanutbutter! Thanks for posting this. What do you know about dispensaries having to provide a patient list to the city?

Good news, peanutbutter! Thanks for posting this. What do you know about dispensaries having to provide a patient list to the city?

As I understand it, that would violate the confidentiality section of the MMMA.

Both the city and the dispensary would be in violation of law.

Did Ann Arbor slip that in? I don't think so, but I don't know for a fact.

I'm waiting to see what gets posted on the city web site here:

http://a2gov.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=820154&GUID=B26B3E24-1A21-45BB-A1A3-7FD2993FBB08&Options=&Search=

As I understand it, that would violate the confidentiality section of the MMMA.

Both the city and the dispensary would be in violation of law.

Did Ann Arbor slip that in? I don't think so, but I don't know for a fact.

I'm waiting to see what gets posted on the city web site here:

http://a2gov.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=820154&GUID=B26B3E24-1A21-45BB-A1A3-7FD2993FBB08&Options=&Search=

thanks for the reply- at one of the dispensaries I visited a week or so ago in Ann Arbor, the owner there told me they were trying to make that be part of it.

Yes, we were both outraged at anyone even having the idea that that would be legal.

Guest Happy Guy

Not too cool you can only grow 12 plants in a duplex, apartment, condo ect. And the odor thing will be used by your neighbor to put the hammer down on you for whatever reason...... Why all the restrictions in the first place? Ridiculous! It's stuffed shirt folly at best....

Not too cool you can only grow 12 plants in a duplex, apartment, condo ect. And the odor thing will be used by your neighbor to put the hammer down on you for whatever reason...... Why all the restrictions in the first place? Ridiculous! It's stuffed shirt folly at best....

Have you read the newly revised edition?

I haven't seen it yet. I didn't know it had been published.

Dear Sisters and Brothers

I can't remember ever being so happy to be alive. I am in awe of the

tremendous support we recieved in Ann Abor last night. Thank you so,

so, so much to everyone who came. We packed the room, dominated the

speakers list, and nearly filled the "overflow" area. Dont *ever*

think that it does not make any difference when you show up to support

our people and our law, it makes all the difference in the world.

We won. It will be the first in a great string of victories during 2011.

Our enemies plan to completely take over our program this year, they

are finally "ready to roll" BUT WE WILL DEFEAT THEM BECAUSE EVERY ONE

OF US WILL BE A LEADER, AND THE ENEMIES OF OUR PATIENTS WILL NEVER

MATCH OUR TENACITY AND DETERMINATION.

We won the biggest issue. THERE WILL BE NO INSPECTIONS, NO ZONING

COMPLIANCE PERMITS, NO "HOME OCCUPATION" CRAP FOR PATIENTS AND

CAREGIVERS IN ANN ARBOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 LICENCES WILL BE GRANTEED FOR DISPENSARIES AND TEN FOR MAJOR

"CULTIVATION FACILITIES" (even though nobody knows exactly what is

meant by "cultivation facility").

Many thanks to our superhero from the far North Richard Lake, who

asked that I not stand alone last night. All of our speakers were

great - but Brandy and Charmie and Rick T. and Matt A. were just

spectacular. I thank everyone who traveled a long way.

We have established a historic "beachhead". Now we can say to other

towns "Wouldn't you like to be like Ann Arbor? They get a lot of

investment from this industry and seem to be doing fine".

At this sensitive time we just let council decide whatever they wanted

to about the number of dispensaries. Every speech by dispensary owners

focused on protecting regular caregivers and patients from inspection.

Before the meeting we marched with signs. Our chants... like "MML, go

to hell" echoed (sp) off the nearby buildings.

We do need a "chant department" to come up with some great chants that

have power and we could keep up for a long time.

In every town each of us must explain what the law is and tell the

local powers that they must follow the law. A few good lawsuits will

go a long way.

Evidently the MML has already reacted to our claims...who can find

that and post it?

Safermich will soon have a electronic list of all Michigan Cities,

Villages, and Townships, so we can communicate with all of them.

Hold your heads high on this great day. We won big and we will win

over and over in 2011 - because will will stick together - and our

struggle is supremely righteous, sacred, and holy...like our plant.

with love, Chuck Ream

Have you read the newly revised edition?

I haven't seen it yet. I didn't know it had been published.

WOW!

Happy Guy must be everywhere.

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Happy Guy!

The sparring continues between PeanutButter and Happy Guy... :goodjob:

:thumbsu:

Mizerman

Guest Happy Guy

WOW!

Happy Guy must be everywhere.

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Happy Guy!

The sparring continues between PeanutButter and Happy Guy... :goodjob:

:thumbsu:

Mizerman

Chill out. I posted a couple observations and conclusions that came up in another conversation about this situation. Just the facts...... We don't like the limitations put on patients living in certain situations and also the odor limitation. Just the facts here folks.

Guest Happy Guy

•The section on medical marijuana in dwellings other than single-family homes was clarified to say that patients in any zoning district may grow their own 12 plants in their dwelling unit, with the same restrictions on odor, etc., as dispensaries, cultivation facilities, and home occupations.

Chill out. I posted a couple observations and conclusions that came up in another conversation about this situation. Just the facts...... We don't like the limitations put on patients living in certain situations and also the odor limitation. Just the facts here folks.

OK .. I still don't understand one thing.

What you were discussing .. was that before or after last nights revisions?

As I understand it, last night they did away with all patient and caregiver restrictions.

So are you commenting on the changes made last night?

Guest Happy Guy

The section on medical marijuana in dwellings other than single-family homes was clarified to say that patients in any zoning district may grow their own 12 plants in their dwelling unit, with the same restrictions on odor, etc., as dispensaries, cultivation facilities, and home occupations.

The section on medical marijuana in dwellings other than single-family homes was clarified to say that patients in any zoning district may grow their own 12 plants in their dwelling unit, with the same restrictions on odor, etc., as dispensaries, cultivation facilities, and home occupations.

OK .. where are you quoting that from?

Archived