Veteran Oakland County Michigan Deputy Sheriff Roy E. Coates Busted For Methamphetamine Possession

Hypocrisy: The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense (or how Joakland County presents itself to the world)

Yeah the story is a couple months old but I never seen this or heard about it on the news. I figured Joakland County doesn't get enough of the correct news coverage so here ya go for your reading enjoyment.

I was just informed this web site has been closed this is whats posted at their home page.

Due to censorship efforts by WordPress, Bad Cop News has moved.

Edited By EdwardGlen

No additional posts will appear here, and this blog will soon disappear

http://badcopnews.wordpress.com/2006/08/01/veteran-oakland-county-michigan-deputy-sheriff-roy-e-coates-busted-for-methamphetamine-possession/

ROCHESTER HILLS, MICHIGAN – The sheriff’s deputy was shocked July 15 when he spotted the man slumped inside a pickup truck in the Orion Township Public Library parking lot.

Coates1

The unconscious man had a belt knotted around one arm and a syringe lying across his lap. Elsewhere in his truck, lawmen found chemicals and materials for the manufacture of methamphetamine, known as the poor man’s cocaine.

But probably most startling was when officers recognized him as Sgt. Roy E. Coates, an 18-year veteran with the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office. Coates, 43, was charged Monday in Rochester Hills 52-3 District Court with possession of methamphetamine, or meth for short. A few hours later, he turned in his badge.

“He came in today and signed his resignation papers,” said Undersheriff Michael McCabe. “It’s a sad day for the Sheriff’s Office and a sad day for Roy Coates.”

Coates, who faces a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison, appeared briefly before District Judge Lisa L. Asadoorian and was released on $25,000 personal bond pending an Aug. 8 preliminary examination before Judge Julie Nicholson.

By most accounts, Coates, last assigned to the corrections division, was known around the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office as a legacy of sorts — his father was a well-liked seasoned deputy — but Coateshad also paid his own dues.

A former Marine, Coates was part of the sheriff’s elite Special Response Team, called into action for hostage and barricaded gunmen situations and other dangerous details.

Coates received several decorations and citations during his career for meritorious service, as well as several letters of appreciation from residents.

Investigators and a hazardous materials crew inspected the chemicals found inside his truck, which they say may have been used to produce the drug for personal use.

Meth can be easily made with ingredients including some common cold medicines, drain cleaner and even battery acid. Some drug users prefer meth to heroin or crack cocaine because the high it produces can, in some cases, last for up to 12 hours.

Meth labs are popping up in some suburban neighborhoods. It is of concern to law enforcement not just because of the highly addictive abusive nature but also because of the unstable, explosive properties of the toxic materials “cooked” to make the drug that then can be injected, snorted or swallowed.

Capt. James Quisenberry, head of the county’s Narcotics Enforcement Team, said meth is rarely seen in Oakland County.

Just how and why it would be of interest to a streetwise lawman like Coates is a mystery. Records indicated he has been on a disability leave for months because of an unspecified off-duty injury.

Ironically, his father, retired Sheriff’s Sgt. James Coates, was an admitted alcoholic who before his death helped establish the department’s first employee assistance program — still in operation today — for deputies and others with substance abuse.

Roy Coates appeared relaxed in court and shook hands and exchanged greetings with several deputies he has worked with over the years. He was represented in court by William Kucyck, a retired deputy who once headed up the sheriff’s detective bureau and also the special response team.

In requesting personal bond for his client, Kucyck advised Asadoorian that Coates has been involved in an outpatient substance abuse treatment program “for a period of time” and Asadoorian made continued attendance part of a condition of his bond.

Asadoorian advised Coates that he could also be facing an additional charge of a commission of a felony with a motor vehicle. If a judge determines Coates‘ vehicle was utilized for drug manufacture and abuse, his driver’s license would also be suspended.

I read about this - maybe in the Oakland Press.

I'll search.

I think the person who posted under the User Name "bouchardiscurrupt" mentioned this case every time he/she posted.

It appears that when I pull up all the medical marijuana articles from the Oakland Press since the raids in Waterford and Ferndale that the Oakland Press has removed all of the "bouchardiscorrupt" comments. (Not that them censoring pro-mmj comments is surprising or pointing out just how corrupt Sheriff Mike Bouchard really is.

I hope that "bouchardiscorrupt" will start leaving comments at the Oakland Press and perhaps on here as well.

He/she seems to be the leading expert on all things Bouchard/Oakland County Sheriff's Dept.

Have a great evening.

Mizerman

p.s. Hey Bubblegrower, I sure hope your Buckeyes win this evening. If, not the Big Ten/Eleven/Twelve will have laid the biggest goose egg in any bowl season I can ever remember. Lastly, this whole Rich Rodriguez soap opera today is about as comical as the last time this happened. Remember the Les Miles fiasco? Guess they didn't learn from their mistakes the last time. This is pretty comical!

• 1 month later...

Archived