Pot Center Proves Worth To Township

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20110106/NEWS01/101060325/Pot-center-proves-worth-to-township

While a legal battle brews about a medical marijuana compassion center in St. Clair County, a Sanilac County center has been embraced by its local municipality.

Jim Amsdill, who opened the Blue Water Compassion Centers in Kimball and Worth townships last year with his wife, said he can't keep up with demand.

“We'll never be able to keep up,” he said.

The couple also opened a center in Richville in Tuscola County last month, and Amsdill said he plans to open a new center somewhere in the state every four months.

The Kimball Township location has been peppered with protests from the local government since it opened in March, most recently for allegedly violating a zoning ordinance that was amended by the board to include medical marijuana compassion centers.

“Kimball missed the boat,” Amsdill said. “I had big plans for Kimball ... plans to make it ‘pot central' for Michigan. ... Kimball is on my last nerve.”

The municipality is looking to close down the location, he said, but he's not giving up the fight. Amsdill said he has given the recent ticket to a lawyer and plans to file a lawsuit against the township.

It's a different story in Worth Township, however, Amsdill said. Much of the community — including the township's supervisor — is supportive of the center at 6672 Lakeshore Road in Lexington Heights.

Bryon McClain, owner of Buck Wild Nation just down the road from the compassion center, said he has no concerns about it.

“I didn't really give it much thought, really,” he said of when the center opened. “It's just right down the road from us. It's legal. I think they're within their rights.”

McClain said he also liked the center's community involvement. The center has hosted a fundraiser for the children of slaying victim Jennifer Gonzalez, hosted food giveaways and is organizing an ice festival in February.

“I think it's great. ... I think they're good people and they're doing a good job,” he said.

Amsdill said they're working to bring the community together to support the center. He said similar events are held at their other locations, including the one in Kimball Township.

Elizabeth Galbraith, owner of Bunny's Frozen Custard in Worth Township, said she has had family members go through cancer. She said that, because medical marijuana is said to be beneficial for cancer patients, she supports the center.

“As far as I'm concerned, it's a harmless drug as far as using it for medical things,” Galbraith said.

Philip Essenmacher, Worth Township supervisor, said some residents initially had concerns.

“(But) they've been open since the summer ... and haven't had any citations or any issues whatsoever,” he said.

Essenmacher said he has toured the facility and the Amsdills have addressed any concerns put on the table by the township or law-enforcement agencies.

Amsdil said he staffs 24-hour-a-day security on the premises.

Essenmacher said the center is an asset to the community, through its efforts in community events as well as bringing jobs to the area.

Amsdill said he has more than 20 employees combined at the three centers.

Despite the support from the Worth Township community, there is still a sector of the population that fears the center, Amsdill said.

“The stigma is this is still a drug — and it's not,” he said.

# Contact Liz Shepard at (810) 989-6273 or lshepard@gannett.com.

The community involvement idea is the way to go, I've been in groups that held events for fundraising, put on a breakfast for homeless people, and the groups were seen as good for everyone. This was many years ago in another state, but it proves it can be done. Being part of a community is the best way to show who we really are. We're not just a bunch of stoners, we are people making a difference, who use MM medicinally, we're functional, law abiding citizens who care about the wellbeing of others. Thanks for sharing the positive news. I wish them all the best with their centers. Every day, MM is proving itself and the positive results are being seen by many who would be skeptics. Seeing a family member benefit from it is one of the best things that could happen.

Sincerely, Sb

The community involvement idea is the way to go, I've been in groups that held events for fundraising, put on a breakfast for homeless people, and the groups were seen as good for everyone. This was many years ago in another state, but it proves it can be done. Being part of a community is the best way to show who we really are. We're not just a bunch of stoners, we are people making a difference, who use MM medicinally, we're functional, law abiding citizens who care about the wellbeing of others. Thanks for sharing the positive news. I wish them all the best with their centers. Every day, MM is proving itself and the positive results are being seen by many who would be skeptics. Seeing a family member benefit from it is one of the best things that could happen.

Sincerely, Sb

:goodjob::thumbsu:

Sincerely, Sb

Yes s.b lets not forget the so called stoners who cant work for the rest of their lives, that coach baseball, soccer, cub scouts, wrestling, for all the youth, im there, all the non handi cap people seem to not have much time for their kids,,,Hmmm wonder what this lil clicky town would think if they knew there kids coach and cubscout leader was a pot head! that the kids all love and cant wait to see again?

nothing bugs me more than some dad showing up 30 mins after the game starts, still in there work dress clothes and try and tell me what to do! when im the one there at all the practices maybe 1 parent stays! the rest just drop em off for the coach (me) to baby sit,,,and I wouldnt have it any other way! :thumbsu:

Peace

FTW

Jim

Archived