Why Not Support Dispensaries?

Thank you for all of the feedback, I have been off line for a couple of days and have spent the morning reaching out to some of those who pm'd me. Let me just put a few things out there to answer a few questions;

1) We are not associated with Clinical Relief

2) We only work with Local Caregivers

3) We adhere to the rules of MDCH

4) We work within the guidelines & spirit of the law

5) We only put quality Medication on our shelves

6) We price our products based on the quality of the Medication

On another note I would like to acknowledge that Dispensaries are not mentioned in the current law; just like Compassion Clubs, Collectives, or any type of group/ club for the purposes of acquiring or cultivating medication for profit or not. The law does however state:

Section 333.26424

4. Protections for the Medical Use of Marihuana.

(e) A registered primary caregiver may receive compensation for costs associated with assisting a registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marihuana. Any such compensation shall not constitute the sale of controlled substances.

This means a registered Patient/ Caregiver can sell or purchase without prosecution from another Patient/ Caregiver. As long as it is done within an environment that is not restricted as stated within this law.

(g) A person shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for providing a registered qualifying patient or a registered primary caregiver with marihuana paraphernalia for purposes of a qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana.

This means a registered Patient/ Caregiver can sell or purchase without prosecution from another Patient/ Caregiver. As long as it is done within an environment that is not restricted as stated within this law.

(k) Any registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver who sells marihuana to someone who is not allowed to use marihuana for medical purposes under this act shall have his or her registry identification card revoked and is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both, in addition to any other penalties for the distribution of marihuana.

This means a registered Patient/ Caregiver can sell or purchase without prosecution from another registered Patient/ Caregiver. As long as it is done within an environment that is not restricted as stated within this law.

333.26428 Defenses.

8. Affirmative Defense and Dismissal for Medical Marihuana.

(3) The patient and the patient's primary caregiver, if any, were engaged in the acquisition, possession, cultivation, manufacture, use, delivery, transfer, or transportation of marihuana or paraphernalia relating to the use of marihuana to treat or alleviate the patient's serious or debilitating medical condition or symptoms of the patient's serious or debilitating medical condition.

Our Law is expansive and encompasses allot; it affords all of us the rights and protections to do business as we see fit within it’s broad structure. As individuals it is up to us to work within this structure as best we can to serve our own individual needs. Including allowing others the right to employ services to assist patients acquire their medication in any manner possible as long as it adheres to the spirit and guidelines of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.

If you are interested in touring one of our facilities please feel free to contact us and see for yourself how our organization operates.

Thank you for your time.

Relief Choices of Michigan

We are at 21586 Dequinder Rd, in Warren between 8 & 9 Mile Rd. Call 1 800 375 7850; press 1 for our Warren location ask for Dave and he can schedule an appointment for you to come in and check us out.

We are at 2617 E. Michigan Ave, in Lansing next to the Tattoo Shop & across from Theio's Restaurant. Call 1 800 375 7850; press 2 for our Lansing location ask for Jake and he can schedule an appointment for you to come in and check us out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't find all the "this means" passages in the act. This means that anyone with a card can store, transport, and distribute an infinite amount of cannabis to an infinite number of patients. From your house, your trunk, or brick & mortar store if you can afford. Time for me to start dispensing metric tons, 2.5 ozs at a time of course, everywhere I travel. Trunk full of meds and I'm on my way. Legal under the law correct? Going to have to have some magnetic signs made up for my mobile dispensary. Buy some ads in the state papers announcing dates, times, and locations. Thanks!

Thank you for all of the feedback, I have been off line for a couple of days and have spent the morning reaching out to some of those who pm'd me. Let me just put a few things out there to answer a few questions;

2)...(snipped for brefity)

...We are at 2617 E. Michigan Ave, in Lansing next to the Tattoo Shop & across from Theio's Restaurant. Call 1 800 375 7850; press 2 for our Lansing location ask for Jake and he can schedule an appointment for you to come in and check us out.

Thank you. But you still have not addressed the numbers.

Several questions may well be decided by the courts here: http://www.cm-life.com/2011/01/10/c-a-of-mount-pleasant-wins-medical-marijuana-lawsuit-but-county-prosecutor-files-an-appeal/#

The prosecution has appealed the Isabella County case which was decided in favor of a dispensary operator. This should bring clarity to the discussion.

Couldn't find all the "this means" passages in the act. This means that anyone with a card can store transport and distribute an infinite amount of cannabis to an infinite number of patients. From your house, your trunk, or brick & mortat store if you can afford. Time for me to start dispensing everywhere I travel. Trunk full of meds and I'm on my way. Legal under the law correct?

This will be one of the greatest summers of my life. It will give M-13 one more thing to line up on the roadside. I'll be packing a card table, lawn chair, and pitchable awning, along with a sharpie to make signs with. Bibs 'n tie dies 'n straw hats will be the dress code.

One great point of note. Most businesses in Michigan are licensed and regulated. Anything in the law that prohibit's the state, county, or municipal government from requiring, say a tax stamp, along with a litany of guidelines, rules, administrative record keeping for dispensaries? My parents held a liquor license for years, costly license these days, annual renewal, special Sunday permit now. Think limited cannabis licensing would generate revenue? Say a $5,000.00 a yr license with annual renewal to start? Maybe $10,000.00 annually. Bet the politician's will go on and on deciding this one when it comes up. Oh wait a minute the law specifically protects dispensaries from legislative interference doesn't it?

View PostRelief Choices, on 07 January 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Thank you for the quick response; seriously if anyone would like to tour one of our two facilities (Warren or Lansing) please send me a pm.

Pretty slick way to advertise after site posted:

Dispensaries

156 Topics & 1,440 Replies

This section is now closed. The MMMA no longer endorses the use of dispensaries, and encourages patient to patient transfers for those without a CG or a personal grow.

Well today I visited 2 dispensaries in Traverse City.

I would like to see more Michigan MM patients support their local clubs, Canna Markets, Co-ops and the like before supporting these dispensaries. My .02 Good Times IJshark.gif

Thank You So Very Much for Stopping by Today w/ your Friends ....

It was really Nice to see you Face to Face ....

Hope your Friends enjoyed Tarzan's Bubba Kush ?

Wish i could of given you a few more samples to go home w/ ...

Really Enjoyed our Conversation w/ regards to these Dispensaries ...

I'm trying to get people to support their Local Growers and each other

But we have people worried about what others are charging and alot of

back-stabbing going on ...

If people don't start working together ,

We may loose our right to grow .... That will Suck Big Time ....

Glad you made it home safe " Indica Jones " :thumbsu:

View PostRelief Choices, on 07 January 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Thank you for the quick response; seriously if anyone would like to tour one of our two facilities (Warren or Lansing) please send me a pm.

Pretty slick way to advertise after site posted:

Dispensaries

156 Topics & 1,440 Replies

This section is now closed. The MMMA no longer endorses the use of dispensaries, and encourages patient to patient transfers for those without a CG or a personal grow.

Since when do you speak for the entire MMMA? Are you the new spokesperson?

You personally can "encourage" anyone you would like, however I believe the MMA would provide more than the two options you have described for patients to obtain their medication.

Many, many factors play into each patients daily life which affect how, when and where they may obtain their medicine. You are not involved.

I encourage you to stop using the MMMA name to express your personal opinions to other patients.

Guest knucklehead bob

Since when do you speak for the entire MMMA? Are you the new spokesperson?

You personally can "encourage" anyone you would like, however I believe the MMA would provide more than the two options you have described for patients to obtain their medication.

Many, many factors play into each patients daily life which affect how, when and where they may obtain their medicine. You are not involved.

I encourage you to stop using the MMMA name to express your personal opinions to other patients.

FORUM INDEX : Dispensaries . Try reading it !

FORUM INDEX : Dispensaries . Try reading it !

My Friend, The MMMA does support dispensaries and the patent's right to choose. Our problem is not with dispensaries as a business model, but those that wish monopolize medical marijuana. - Blueberry - administrator

I do read. Your response was rude. Her response was incorrect according to the quote posted above.

The above quote came from the top guy and it disputes what you and retta put in your posts. I understand the reasoning behind the fear of losing patients rights by supporting them, but like it or not they are open for business.

Not every patient has the means to grow their own. Not every patient/caregiver relationship works out for the best and some patients are left without meds at the worst of times, and not everyone has a friend who is willing to help them out when they need it most.

This is when the dispensaries become crucial to some. Despite your personal feelings about dispensaries this site is to educate caregivers and patients about the medical marijuana community and all of the options available. Information on dispensaries should be included so patients can make their own informed decision on whether or not to use them for their needs.

BB plained the board. Didigal Nomade hit the nail on the head and GregS put the puddy in the nail hole and DT61 covered it up real nice.

That is real team work. I love it. Keep going you guys and help us patients out. I need all the true help I can get.

Thanks.

Ditto robnuvie!

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

My Friend, The MMMA does support dispensaries and the patent's right to choose. Our problem is not with dispensaries as a business model, but those that wish monopolize medical marijuana. - Blueberry - administrator

I do read. Your response was rude. Her response was incorrect according to the quote posted above.

The above quote came from the top guy and it disputes what you and retta put in your posts. I understand the reasoning behind the fear of losing patients rights by supporting them, but like it or not they are open for business.

Not every patient has the means to grow their own. Not every patient/caregiver relationship works out for the best and some patients are left without meds at the worst of times, and not everyone has a friend who is willing to help them out when they need it most.

This is when the dispensaries become crucial to some. Despite your personal feelings about dispensaries this site is to educate caregivers and patients about the medical marijuana community and all of the options available. Information on dispensaries should be included so patients can make their own informed decision on whether or not to use them for their needs.

Despite what your quote above says, like the others said Dispensaries are not supported. Obviously at one time we strayed from the founders original vision to include these groups, but the MMMA has since reviewed this policy and have decided to close the dispensary section, and return all the "Dispensary Owner" group back to "Members". I'm not sure how it could be any clearer.

Guest knucklehead bob

I don't mean to be rude but I don' t think we are reading the same thing . What I read says , the MMMA no longer endorses the use of dispensaries , and encourages patient to patient transfers for those without a caregiver or personal grow . I do not mean to be rude .

Here is something to think about......................

Marijuana is Illegal.

Our law is giving a few EXCEPTIONS to when it is NOT illegal.

Those exceptions are clearly stated in the law, as well as the amounts that are excepted.

IF you sway from the clearly pointed out EXCEPTIONS, you MAY end up depending on the AD.

In that case, you are going to have to prove to a judge OR jury as to why your normally illegal act IS indeed legal.

It will cost much $, time and public humiliation.........and you MAY even win in the end.

BUT~~~~~~it will be hell to prove.

I now support the right of anyone with a MMMP patient card to designate themselves a dispensary and possess, transport, and distribute an unlimited quantity of medical cnnabis for the purpose of supplying patients other than those they are formally connected to as caregiver via the MDCH MMMP. Markets wide open now.

I don't mean to be rude but I don' t think we are reading the same thing . What I read says , the MMMA no longer endorses the use of dispensaries , and encourages patient to patient transfers for those without a caregiver or personal grow . I do not mean to be rude .

Fair enough. I understand you didn't mean to be rude, but your words made me feel stupid.

If you would have explained a little better in your answer about where to look I would have. All I'm trying to say is if a patient comes here looking for answers and support and the answer they get thrown at them is READ!, well then I wouldn't blame them for leaving.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It meant a lot to me to clear the air.

Have a great day.

Guest 1TokeOverLine

From my reading, it appears to me that lilmiscantberong is confusing the site MMMA with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act (MMMA). This site (MMMA) does not wish to support the dispensary argument, and argues that the act, the MMMA has no provisions remotely suggesting a legal dispensary environment. Don't confuse the MMMA site with the MMM Act.

1T

Despite what your quote above says, like the others said Dispensaries are not supported. Obviously at one time we strayed from the founders original vision to include these groups, but the MMMA has since reviewed this policy and have decided to close the dispensary section, and return all the "Dispensary Owner" group back to "Members". I'm not sure how it could be any clearer.

Thank you for taking the time to gently explain what I have missed. It was not clear to me and I truly appreciate your not being snotty and telling me I should have known.

My wish would be that everyone could grow their own or have a dependable caregiver. Sadly this is not the case and some of us are left with not a lot of options.

This is a rhetorical question, and also my personal situation. My caregiver is long gone and took my meds with him. I cannot grow in my home. I have no "friends" to help me out. What other options would you suggest for me as a patient? I can go back to the street but I want medical quality medicine. Some of us are still in need with no one to help us out.

Politics aside, I still feel that dispensaries should be discussed as a viable option to obtain meds. They may not meet the needs of everyone, but for some they may be an option to get through the day and could potentially save a patients life.

Thanks again for all that you do.

From my reading, it appears to me that lilmiscantberong is confusing the site MMMA with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act (MMMA). This site (MMMA) does not wish to support the dispensary argument, ande argues that the act, the MMMA has no provisions remotely suggesting a legal dispensary environment. Don't confuse the MMMA site with the MMM Act.

1T

No confusion. I am clear on the difference between the two entities.

Thank you for taking the time to gently explain what I have missed. It was not clear to me and I truly appreciate your not being snotty and telling me I should have known.

My wish would be that everyone could grow their own or have a dependable caregiver. Sadly this is not the case and some of us are left with not a lot of options.

This is a rhetorical question, and also my personal situation. My caregiver is long gone and took my meds with him. I cannot grow in my home. I have no "friends" to help me out. What other options would you suggest for me as a patient? I can go back to the street but I want medical quality medicine. Some of us are still in need with no one to help us out.

Politics aside, I still feel that dispensaries should be discussed as a viable option to obtain meds. They may not meet the needs of everyone, but for some they may be an option to get through the day and could potentially save a patients life.

I would go to compassion club meetings and introduce myself to everyone there.

I would NOT go to a dispensary. I couldn't afford the meds I need from a dispensary, or really from a cg. I am LUCKY that my spouse and I grow together.

BUT~~~ If I were you, I would meet people. There are lots of CG's looking for patients. There are also lots of patients that are willing to assist others, as this is being seen as the most legal route. You can acquire from another patient. You just have to get to know people.

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

In your case it's the MMMA position you should find a user willing to do a p2p. Visit your local compassion club. If you can get in a car to go to a dispensary, you can get in your car to go a club meeting and meet "new" friends. You can also post ads here in the P2P section requesting meds in your area. You might even end up with a good CG after a few p2p transaction where you feel comfortable.

Everything a dispensary can provide, can be done at half the cost with a p2p or CG relationship. What I've heard from patients personally is that the Dispensary meds are no where in comparison to what they get now. So saying "medical quality" seems to be subjective. Do you really think the CG that supply the Disp are giving them their "best" meds, or more likely the stuff they wouldn't give to friends or family?

The only thing I can see where a CG can't compete with a Disp is in the strain choices (and this is only initially as I'm sure most CG would be happy to add whatever strain you'd like to his menu). If you do a couple strains a patient, the most a CG could have at constant disposal would be 12 or so....even if more maybe like 20. A disp could have hundreds. But if the stuff users are getting at twice the cost isn't grown that well in the first place, this becomes a moot point.

Now what I say is second hand knowledge. I've never used a dispensary, so I can't personally make comments as to their quality. But I have no reason to disbelieve three of my four patients (My family member, like myself, has never entered a dispensary).

Best

I would go to compassion club meetings and introduce myself to everyone there.

I would NOT go to a dispensary. I couldn't afford the meds I need from a dispensary, or really from a cg. I am LUCKY that my spouse and I grow together.

BUT~~~ If I were you, I would meet people. There are lots of CG's looking for patients. There are also lots of patients that are willing to assist others, as this is being seen as the most legal route. You can acquire from another patient. You just have to get to know people.

Thank you. I am a founding member of the Tri-City Compassion Club. I wish that there was a local compassion club to meet caregivers around here, but alas they are now all dispensaries.

I simply don't know anyone in my area who is a patient.

I know it's expensive. I have no money. I buy one gram at a time there, two if I can scrape enough together. I get physically sick knowing that what I just drove miles for and bought probably wont last me through the night. But I guarantee you I would be much sicker if I couldn't buy a gram every couple of days to get through.

I simply need this medicine to live right now and I guess it just makes me mad when people on this board who have unlimited access to meds forget that most of us don't have such good connections. I realize that's not what you're saying but telling me to meet people and find a caregiver takes precious time. I need to get through today. I don't have precious time.

On a side note, I really enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out.

Thank you. I am a founding member of the Tri-City Compassion Club. I wish that there was a local compassion club to meet caregivers around here, but alas they are now all dispensaries.

I simply don't know anyone in my area who is a patient.

I know it's expensive. I have no money. I buy one gram at a time there, two if I can scrape enough together. I get physically sick knowing that what I just drove miles for and bought probably wont last me through the night. But I guarantee you I would be much sicker if I couldn't buy a gram every couple of days to get through.

I simply need this medicine to live right now and I guess it just makes me mad when people on this board who have unlimited access to meds forget that most of us don't have such good connections. I realize that's not what you're saying but telling me to meet people and find a caregiver takes precious time. I need to get through today. I don't have precious time.

On a side note, I really enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out.

I do understand lilmiss...........

I My heart goes out to you.......... and others in the situation you are in.

I wish I could help! But, we are hours away I believe.

Great to hear what people are thinking, and this alone was the sole purpose of the question. For full disclosure would like to state that we lost more in 2010 than most people make in a year.

I remember my parents buying a new Beta VCR for like $900 when I a kid. We all kno what hppened to vcr prices.

Many question our intentions and call us greedy shop owners,is this a fair statement? I have never personally met most of you and feel this may be an attack on a different front. We believe in safe access and providing quality organic medication.Bottom line.

Certainly those commenting on this post are excetional caregivers with quality product, unfortunately you represent the minority. Most medicine is junk and most caregivers fail to provide consistency. We feel we bridge that gap.

This industry has a lot to figure out and if we continue to focus on the patient it will take the proper course. We need to all agree whether you are a doctor, caregiver, dispensery owner, patient that we need to work together instead of imploding from within. Just my 2 cents.

2) We only work with Local Caregivers

3) We adhere to the rules of MDCH

4) We work within the guidelines & spirit of the law

5) We only put quality Medication on our shelves

6) We price our products based on the quality of the Medication

On another note I would like to acknowledge that Dispensaries are not mentioned in the current law; just like Compassion Clubs, Collectives, or any type of group/ club for the purposes of acquiring or cultivating medication for profit or not. The law does however state:

(LAW QUOTE OMITTED)

Our Law is expansive and encompasses allot; it affords all of us the rights and protections to do business as we see fit within it’s broad structure. As individuals it is up to us to work within this structure as best we can to serve our own individual needs. Including allowing others the right to employ services to assist patients acquire their medication in any manner possible as long as it adheres to the spirit and guidelines of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.

If you are interested in touring one of our facilities please feel free to contact us and see for yourself how our organization operates.

Thank you for your time.

Relief Choices of Michigan

We are at 21586 Dequinder Rd, in Warren between 8 & 9 Mile Rd. Call 1 800 375 7850; press 1 for our Warren location ask for Dave and he can schedule an appointment for you to come in and check us out.

We are at 2617 E. Michigan Ave, in Lansing next to the Tattoo Shop & across from Theio's Restaurant. Call 1 800 375 7850; press 2 for our Lansing location ask for Jake and he can schedule an appointment for you to come in and check us out.

Out of all these responses you have yet to truely address the concerns of the people of this site. Me my self have no need for one, but many do. So what are your plans to keep cost for the patients down(not care-givers)? Thats #1! I'm going to get slamed for this but I feel patients shouldn't be asked for no more than $8-$13 a g. $10-$15 in a disp.(I know all about over head I used to manage restaurant's) beyond the gratuitous amount of meds. every patient with a CG should be intitled to but thats a differant topic, SO. Whats your mission statement and how do you plan to adhere to it? Are you against commercialization? If so how do you plan to fight it and to protect our right to grow? That effects you also "2) We only work with Local Caregivers". This is only a few to start with.

I would love to see your place but I can't travel that far so you have to convince me and others by words. Not a easy task on this site. At the very least I hope you end up with a little knowledge of the needs and concerns of those you hope to serve.

Archived