Rhetoric And Vitriol

Just an example of the kind of things being said over the past months.

http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/right-wing-declares-war-poor-kate-obeirne-c

Kate O'Beirne calls parents of school lunch recipients child abusers

O’BEIRNE: And then the title of our gathering is so crucial; “Less of Washington and More of Ourselves”. The federal school lunch program and now breakfast program and I guess in Washington DC, dinner program are pretty close to being sacred cows… broad bipartisan support. And if we’re going to ask more of ourselves, my question is what poor excuse for a parent can’t rustle up a bowl of cereal and a banana? I just don’t get why millions of school children qualify for school breakfasts unless we have a major wide spread problem with child neglect.

You know, I mean if that’s how many parents are incapable of pulling together a bowl of cereal and a banana, then we have problems that are way bigger than… that problem can’t be solved with a school breakfast, because we have parents who are just criminally… ah… criminally negligent with respect to raising children.

And yet, that’s the kind of program that has huge bipartisan support with very little thought about why we’re now feeding children. Talk about a fundamental parental responsibility. In what sense can we begin asking the “more of ourselves” piece to go with this less government?

It is alot easier to just feed the kids than fix the parents. The kids should not have to suffer and to fix the parents would be a very intrusive government program.

A society should be judged by how well it treats its children, sick, elderly, and needy.

Peace.

Archived