Medical Marijuana Political Action Committee Plans To Raise $500,000 In 2011 To Support Sensible Policies And Candidates.

reliefchoices

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Detroit, MI, January 7, 2011: A group of individuals has announced today that they are now registered as a PAC (Political Action Committee) in the state of Michigan with the purpose of supporting candidates who will back the existing law governing medical marijuana which was approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2008. Organizers stated that due to developments in state government as well as actions that have already been taken across the state at the local level, it is especially necessary to form a group to defend a good policy that is under fire.

“It isn’t the job of politicians who are in the business of pandering to narrow, yet vital constituencies to second-guess such a strong majority of voters”, said Ryan Richmond a co- founder of the new PAC that the founders have decided to call Sensible Michigan. Richmond states that the name goes to the heart of what he believes is the key to defending and upholding the law and moving forward with a reasoned approach to medical marijuana in the state of Michigan: common sense. He states that he and his team plan to raise $500,000 for the 2012 election cycle so they can adequately defend the law from detractors.

“Opponents of the existing law often enjoy portraying the people associated with medical marijuana as drug users and drug dealers when the reality is that there are many business and health professionals who are in the business of helping acutely sick and disabled individuals in a safe and professional manner.”, stated attorney and board member Paul Tylenda. “Safe access is the current policy and the current policy is the logical one. Appropriate zoning is fundamental to creating safe access policies that communities and their leaders can get behind.”

When asked about the primary activities that the PAC will seek to engage in, Joseph Fisher, an organizer working with Sensible Michigan was very upbeat, optimistic, and confident that the group would go beyond just supporting candidates financially, but participating in grass roots activities such as canvassing and letter-writing campaigns. “Money talks but so do people. Our organization isn’t only going to posses the capability to help financially back candidates, but to turn out the vote and remind politicians that this is an issue that many voters deeply care about as well.”

Richmond says that these very efforts are going to be buoyed by the contributions they expect from a wide cross-section of supporters including health professionals, attorneys, entrepreneurs, patients, and those who support a just law and safe access in general. “It’s a shame that we need to put this much effort in to defend something so logical, so strongly supported by voters, but it would be a greater shame if we were to allow this law to be eliminated by a strong and vocal minority.”

More information can be found on their website, www.sensiblemichigan.org

Joseph Fisher

Sensible Michigan PAC

info@sensiblemichigan.org

www.sensiblemichigan.org

##

So this is who representing what? PAC for patient/caregiver or dispensary/patient/caregiver? I'm not supporting anything that promotes dispensaries until licensing and regulations are enacted by the legislature, and we best not be going there anytime soon. We have enough to protect.

The existing law works remarkably well and we hope to keep it that way. The law works best for patients, caregivers and dispensary owners as is.

You sound like a politician. How about a straight answer?

I take offense being compared to a politician. What do you think my "straight answer" is?

Any legislation begots more legislation. I feel patients need more choices in finding medication, the law protects me as a dispensary owner, caregivers and patients as written. Because I own a dispensary I should change my name to Pfizer? I have had the wonderful opportunity to help many patients daily for some time and that gives me the most reward.

There are no friends to be had in Lansing and I will try to preserve the law for two reasons: It's best for the patient and best for my business. I am not part of any secret club that is trying to destroy the law or push out caregivers or patients right to grow for themselves. Simply trying to protect a just law and looking for your help. We will implode within if we keep pointing fingers.

I take offense being compared to a politician. What do you think my "straight answer" is?

Any legislation begots more legislation. I feel patients need more choices in finding medication, the law protects me as a dispensary owner, caregivers and patients as written. Because I own a dispensary I should change my name to Pfizer? I have had the wonderful opportunity to help many patients daily for some time and that gives me the most reward.

There are no friends to be had in Lansing and I will try to preserve the law for two reasons: It's best for the patient and best for my business. I am not part of any secret club that is trying to destroy the law or push out caregivers or patients right to grow for themselves. Simply trying to protect a just law and looking for your help. We will implode within if we keep pointing fingers.

When is the SM PAC holding its first public meeting?

I'd like to come and see a presentation on PAC activities and have some Q&A time.

I'm sure a lot of folks on this forum would want to hear specifics on SM PAC's Proper Zoning Policy, as zoning seems to be the tool that will be used to eliminate individual patient grow rights.

When is the SM PAC holding its first public meeting?

Are you going to be at the 1st Annual SGS Michigan Caregiver’s Cup held January 30th - 31st, 2010, at the Marriott at Eagle Crest in Ypsilanti, MI?

I'd like to come and see a presentation on PAC activities and have some Q&A time.

I'm sure a lot of folks on this forum would want to hear specifics on SM PAC's Proper Zoning Policy, as zoning seems to be the tool that will be used to eliminate individual patient grow rights.

Ummm .. that was last year. Jan 30-31 of 2010.

We will be holding several fundraising activities over this year to reach our goal and will share details on this site. I hope to also attend several events to bolster support from within the community.

There seems to be significant distaste on these forums towards the MACC. Not that I care, nor do I believe it should make a difference but we are not members of that organization.

I just love the MMMA's generosity in permitting others to solicit funding for other organizations via the MMMA site. Sent my MMMA dues to the SMPAC to effect the legislative changes to allow licensing and regulation of dispensaries! Also writing my congress people requesting same. Hope they listen, support, and act soon.

We will be holding several fundraising activities over this year to reach our goal and will share details on this site. I hope to also attend several events to bolster support from within the community.

There seems to be significant distaste on these forums towards the MACC. Not that I care, nor do I believe it should make a difference but we are not members of that organization.

Would the SMPAC post the Statement of Organization form submitted to the FEC to register this PAC? If not I can submit a FOIA request with the FEC tomorrow.

So this is who representing what? PAC for patient/caregiver or dispensary/patient/caregiver? I'm not supporting anything that promotes dispensaries until licensing and regulations are enacted by the legislature, and we best not be going there anytime soon. We have enough to protect.

Wow, now there is some logic.

Maybe we should have waited on legislature to bring medical marijuana laws to begin with. Errr…. Wait. Then we wouldn’t have any marijuana laws.

Your comments throughout this forum are divisive and offensive.

Where’s your PAC? Where’s your Op-Ed? What are doing to make MMJ more mainstream? What are you doing to change people’s attitudes toward MMJ?

Here we have a man stepping up to solicit support for MMJ friendly candidates for public office across the state, and you chose to take shots at him. If you could please be a little more quite on the sidelines, I am sure the entire community would appreciate it.

I just love the MMMA's generosity in permitting others to solicit funding for other organizations via the MMMA site. Sent my MMMA dues to the SMPAC to effect the legislative changes to allow licensing and regulation of dispensaries! Also writing my congress people requesting same. Hope they listen, support, and act soon.

you are too funny LOL :thumbsu:

Little background. I represented over 350 public employees who worked for the state of Michigan. The employer often created an environment that promoted violence and visited serious injury and permanent disability to the members I represented. That's exactly what this dispensary issue is going to culminate in, injury to patients. But hey I'm keeping my nose out of it from now on. Damage patients, damage the law, who cares?

Somebody clarify to me the qualification to form a dispensary, transport, store, and distributing cannabis to perhaps hundreds of patients. My understanding is patient to patient transfers justify dispensaries. So I need a patient card and what else? 2500 ouces on hand for the 100 pts rthat may require meds on any given day? I'm cool with that and can't imagine when this sees the light of day that voters who supported us won't understand the limits on cannabis possession were and are absolute BS!! Screw 'em if they don't get it, can't take it back now, ever, under any known legal circumstance.

Absolutely! The newly elected Republican Michigan legislature, administration, and courts who initially opposed us are already standing down, so shall I. Don't worry, be happy.

So, what exactly are you doing? Again... Where is your Op-Ed, Pac, or 501c4?

What are you going to do to oust enemies of MMJ from office? What did you learn from the AG election?

You are doing nothing but being divisive. You are not helping patients. You are hurting the cause.

I will not respond to you anymore.

Dues paying member of the ACLU. Donate $25 a month additional to ACLU operations and another $25 monthly to the ACLU PAC. NORML dues paying member, $10 a month to NORML operations, $10 a month to NORML's PAC. MMP dues paying member, $10 monthly to MMP operations, $10 a month to MMP PAC. MINORML dues paying member, contibute significantly to MINORML every chance I get.

Donated $1,000 to David Leyton campaign.

12 $300 contributions every two months ($900 so far) supporting a MM journalist and activist.

Write letters and phone my newly elected, prohibitionist, Republican Tea Party, legislators on a regular basis.

Your turn?

Dues paying member of the ACLU. Donate $25 a month additional to ACLU operations and another $25 monthly to the ACLU PAC. NORML dues paying dmember, $10 a month to NORML operations, $10 a month to NORML's PAC. MMP dues paying member, $10 monthly to MMP operations, $10 a month to MMP PAC. MINORML dues paying member, contibute significantly to MINORML every chance I get.

Write letters and phone my newly elected, prohibitionist, Republican Tea Party, legislators on a regular basis.

You?

All that and more. Perhaps Sensible Michigan. Get of his azz. I am not responding anymore.

As long as this PAC supports and helps to maintain the 'individual patient's right to grow, it will have my support.

Archived