Protest The Dea In Grand Rapids And Lansing Wed Jan 12

Brandy Zink

For Immediate Release: January 10th, 2011

Medical Marijuana Patient Advocates Stage Rallies in MI & NV Against Federal Interference

Patients, providers, lawyers, public officials speak out against aggressive, unnecessary & harmful raids

Las Vegas, NV; Grand Rapids & Lansing, MI -- Angry but peaceful protests will be held this Wednesday in response to what patient advocates are calling an unnecessary escalation of federal interference in medical marijuana states. Protests are scheduled to occur at various times Wednesday in Las Vegas, Nevada, as well as Grand Rapids and Lansing, Michigan, in response to Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) raids that have occurred over the past 6 months in the two states. Most recently, fifteen patients and providers were arrested last week in Las Vegas as a follow-up to aggressive raids conducted last year. The Justice Department is also pursuing medical records for 7 registered Michigan patients, despite strong privacy provisions in that state's medical marijuana law.

What: Coordinated rallies in Las Vegas, Grand Rapids & Lansing to protest recent federal interference

When: Las Vegas at 12 Noon; Grand Rapids at 9am; Lansing at 1pm

Where: Las Vegas - Federal Building, 333 Las Vegas Blvd.

Grand Rapids - Federal Courthouse, 110 Michigan St. NW

Lansing - East steps of State Capitol, Michigan Ave. & Capitol St.

"It's time to end federal enforcement of local and state medical marijuana laws," said Caren Woodson, Government Affairs Director with Americans for Safe Access, the country's leading medical marijuana group. "Not only are the recent raids inconsistent with the spirit of the Obama Justice Department memo, but they are harmful and counterproductive to the full implementation of local and state medical marijuana laws." Despite an October 2009 Justice Department memorandum de-prioritizing federal enforcement in medical marijuana states, aggressive raids, arrests and prosecutions have continued unabated.

On January 6th, several dispensaries, cultivators, and referral services in Las Vegas were raided by the DEA, resulting in 12 arrests and the seizure of medical marijuana, money and other property. According to the DEA, the most recent arrests were connected to dispensary raids conducted in September of last year. Under the cynical moniker of "Operation Chronic Problem," the federal government is charging people with conspiracy to distribute marijuana, distribution of marijuana, conspiracy to commit money laundering, distribution of marijuana near schools or colleges, possession of a firearm in relation to drug trafficking and failing to disclose or concealing information concerning Social Security benefits.

Last year's raids in Las Vegas occurred only two months after heavily armed federal agents, with the help of the national guard, raided multiple cultivators near Lansing, Michigan, with no evidence of state law violations. No charges were levied in the Michigan raids, but the federal government is now pursuing several private patient records from the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) as part of their investigation. Using privacy provisions in the state's medical marijuana law, the MDCH has so far refused to turn over any patient records, but a hearing is scheduled for 9am Wednesday (coincident with the protests) in Grand Rapids federal court before District Court Judge Gordon Quist. Similar federal subpoenas were rejected in 2007 by a district court in Oregon after the records of 17 patients were sought by the feds from the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program.

"There is absolutely no need for federal agents to be enforcing local and state medical marijuana laws," continued Woodson. "Enforcing such laws is not the purview of the federal government and allegations of local or state law violations should be prosecuted in state courts." As a result of the 2001 U.S. Supreme Court decision in U.S. v. Oakland Cannabis Buyers Cooperative, defendants tried in federal court have no means to a medical necessity or state law defense. Historically, besides the direct harm inflicted on patients and providers, federal raids have had little effect overall. For example, despite more than 200 raids in California during the G.W. Bush Administration, the number of local distribution centers steadily increased during the same period.

Further information:

DEA petition to subpoena private patient records in MI: http://AmericansForSafeAccess.org/downloads/MI_DEA_Subpoena_Petition.pdf

# # #

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the last minute, but that's all the time we have to act sometimes.

We hope that if you can't make it to Grand Rapids, then maybe Lansing will be better. This is a big state, so if you plan to go, pick the location closest to you. They are timed so those who are able can do both.

And if you can't make it, your phone calls and letters to both State and Fed Reps and Senators are ALWAYS important!!!

Brandy,

It's not that I don't appreciate everything you and others in the movement do, as you know I am at as many events as I can manage. My biggest concern at this point is the fact that no matter how you cut it we are a small minority. The smaller the minority the more powerful the representation must be. Michigan has splintered almost as severely as California in a mere two years. How many state based organizations claiming to represent the best interests of patients have we? Can the majority of these organizations form an effective coalition with one message?

Organized defense of the MMMA has become a box of spilled toothpicks. As each group decides who picks them up and organizes them for dispensaries, caregivers, patients, cannabusinesses. The opposition sits quietly waiting to pick them up and organize them to fit in their box.

Wonder how many Michigan politician's (especially the Republican majority) are on exactly the same page, paragraph, sentence, word, and letter at this very moment?

Brandy,

It's not that I don't appreciate everything you and others in the movement do, as you know I am at as many events as I can manage. My biggest concern at this point is the fact that no matter how you cut it we are a small minority. The smaller the minority the more powerful the representation must be. Michigan has splintered almost as severely as California in a mere two years. How many state based organizations claiming to represent the best interests of patients have we? Can the majority of these organizations form an effective coalition with one message?

Organized defense of the MMMA has become a box of spilled toothpicks. As each group decides who picks them up and organizes them for dispensaries, caregivers, patients, cannabusinesses. The opposition sits quietly waiting to pick them up and organize them to fit in their box.

Wonder how many Michigan politician's (especially the Republican majority) are on exactly the same page, paragraph, sentence, word, and letter at this very moment?

ASA is a National organization that all of the various medical marijuana groups can support while still working on their own projects. ASA fights for our rights as patients and caregivers every day where it matters most. We can thank ASA for the work that they did to get the Obama administration's policy change.

ASA has always stood for patient rights. Safe access comes in many forms. Without the work of ASA, there would be no 'industry.'

The MI mmj world may be fractured. Isn't it time we put all of the ego aside and stand side by side with one voice? I think we can all agree that the DEA needs to GO AWAY. Protect our Privacy, Protect our Rights.

The mmj community is very diverse because illness, injury, and chronic debilitating conditions know no bias. So I don't think we can ever expect us all to think/act/feel the same about anything. Well, in this instance, maybe. I don't think any of us wants our private information in the MMP registry to be handed over to the DEA.

So, I'm asking everyone in this community no matter what group(s) you support, to join ASA in protesting the DEA.

MDCH keep our records SAFE!!

DEA GO AWAY!

Ive been down there 1 time in gr for jury duty,I think you had to park at a lot near 131 and take the bus up to court house,here is address for anyone that wants to mapquest it or plug into gps but do allow time to park etc: 399 Federal Bldg. 110 Michigan St NW. Grand Rapids MI 49503 Will anyone be bringing signs etc?

I am near the Royal Oak area. I don't have a car but I would be interested in going if someone could give me a ride. I can pay for gas.

Waynesworld, there are probably 100,000 caregivers, and/or patients, in Michigan who are currently legal for medical purposes, and that is not including those 'protected' by an affirmative defense. I would hardly call that a small minority, when put into perspective.

Cannabis and employment law are my two main motivators to get a law degree.

Folks, I started asking for people to go to Grand Rapids on 1/5.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/27123-mdch-in-federal-court-112-grand-rapids/page__view__findpost__p__249697__fromsearch__1

I posted it to five web sites. Some of the lowest number of responses has been from this web site.

ASA has asked people to show up now and then go to Lansing after being at Grand Rapids.

Grand Rapids at 9AM and then Lansing at 1PM.

We asked them to use civil means instead of violence at the protest in Oakland County they compiled. They are doing what we asked them to do in lieu of kicking in doors. We asked them to take it to court and handle any disagreement with our law civilly. I am afraid that if we turn our back on our agreement, that they will have the right to begin to gather evidence through force.

When did this agreement take place and who were the parties to the agreement?

Also what are the details of the agreement?

When did this agreement take place and who were the parties to the agreement?

Also what are the details of the agreement?

I'm from Grand Rapids and tried to get some of the clubs around here to protest this, glad to see some of the eastsiders getting out for this.......from Ann Arbor originally. I will be there and will try to bring as many people as I can. Grand Rapids area is full of very conservative Leaders we need to send a clear message to the local, state and federal elected officials we will not stand idlely by while are rights are stripped from us. We are the people and we can make the changes that are needed to stop this nonsense once and for all!!!!! We all need to Stand Together and fight this to the end!!!!!!

Hope to see you all there

DB

Can you deny that the Core issue in both Cases involves Dispensaries ?

Funny how History repeats itself, this is what our country was founded on, Good ole, get a subservient people to fight their battles for them.

Thanks for Shining the Light, BB ... Peace

Hard to tell, since the people involved are completely unknown.

That is for the case in Grand Rapids federal court at 9AM tomorrow morning.

It might be about a compassion club.

It might be about a few caregivers growing together.

It might be about a doctor or doctors.

We asked them to use civil means instead of violence at the protest in Oakland County they compiled. They are doing what we asked them to do in lieu of kicking in doors. We asked them to take it to court and handle any disagreement with our law civilly. I am afraid that if we turn our back on our agreement, that they will have the right to begin to gather evidence through force. We must coordinate these things and talk through them(plan) or risk the unintended consequences of our actions. I am against any violation of the privacy clause. I think we are all in agreement that this is a violation of our rights. Protesting against the judicial branch of government when they are the ultimate arbiter of our fate in this matter, risk much, with little chance of success. We will not sway the judgement of the court. What we will be saying to the Judge(s) is that you will not be fair, in advance of them ever addressing the issue. What we need is good attorneys working around the clock, not patient popsicles.

I notice members of the MACC are acting as coordinators for this event. If this turns out to be another dispensary case that has brought our law to the edge of the abyss, what are the patients and caregivers that are not testing the limits of the law for self enrichment, suppose to do next? How many times will we be forced to risk our medicine for the sake of the rich? It just never seems to end. Pushing the sick out in front to act as cannon fodder for the rich. If this is another dispensary case let the sick stay at home. Gather all the dispensary owners in the state out in front of the federal building. There was an open meeting of the city council last week in Lansing seeking input from the local dispensaries. Only one of thirty something showed up. The MMMA will always stand for the rights that are defined in our law. We will never put patients in the line of fire for economic rights.

There is now a weekly protest for dispensary rights. What ever happened to patients first?

Joe, this is an Americans for Safe Access Action. This affects us all. Can you tell me how the protests organized by the MMMA at the Oakland Co. Court were any different? Now is the time for ALL of us to stand with ASA.

Too bad you don't realize that safe access includes patient/caregivers, compassion clubs, collectives, and yes, dispensaries. ASA stands for safe access for patients and right now our safety is compromised.

Please put aside your personal grievances against other prominent mmj leaders. If you won't stand with us, then please don't use your position and power against us. Choose your words wisely. How many times have you called for unity? Don't you see that we are all in this together? If the DEA can ask for the MDCH records without our community up in arms about the violations of our privacy and the sanctity of our law, then the DEA has already won. They want us to be fractured and divided. Don't give in.

Please stand with ASA and protest the DEA!

Archived