Protest The Dea In Grand Rapids And Lansing Wed Jan 12

Brandy Zink

Hard to tell, since the people involved are completely unknown.

That is for the case in Grand Rapids federal court at 9AM tomorrow morning.

It might be about a compassion club.

It might be about a few caregivers growing together.

It might be about a doctor or doctors.

Pretty sure this has to do with the grow co-op that was raided last month in Okemas, 40 plants in seperate grow areas, no one person had keys to all the grow areas. It was in a commercial building, now the real kicker people............supposedly the State Police turned this over to the feds at least that is what the owner is saying. What a waste of federal money!!!!!!!!

Maybe we can get congress to pull the DEA's funds............would only work temporary the'd raid Fort Knox and get their own seeing how they are pretty much a seperate entity of the goverment!!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandy you've always put a twinkle in my eye thank you for all you've done. unfortunately I have a return consult at karmanous tomorrow And will be unable to make this. I hope there are more than headstrong 100. But I've come to know but I can count on you all friends. And I know I will get untanted reporting back on this. thanks to the four B, horseman(brandy,bob&tory,buds JB,blueberry) just to name a few. I'm sad I will miss ya thank you all.Be ever so carfull with snowy roads GB ya all

Pretty sure this has to do with the grow co-op that was raided last month in Okemas, 40 plants in seperate grow areas, no one person had keys to all the grow areas. It was in a commercial building, now the real kicker people............supposedly the State Police turned this over to the feds at least that is what the owner is saying. What a waste of federal money!!!!!!!!

Maybe we can get congress to pull the DEA's funds............would only work temporary the'd raid Fort Knox and get their own seeing how they are pretty much a seperate entity of the goverment!!!!!

There are at least three different situations that this action could be about. Everyone is guessing until they see the names.

In addition, it is possible that the DEA is after a doctor or doctors. This can't be ruled out until we see the names and see what the DEA does with the names.

So far, we expect this to be about Lansing area people .. because the DEA told us that through the newspaper. Do you think the DEA is telling the truth?

If they employed misdirection, it could be about anywhere in the state.

We asked them to use civil means instead of violence at the protest in Oakland County they compiled. They are doing what we asked them to do in lieu of kicking in doors. We asked them to take it to court and handle any disagreement with our law civilly. I am afraid that if we turn our back on our agreement, that they will have the right to begin to gather evidence through force. We must coordinate these things and talk through them(plan) or risk the unintended consequences of our actions. I am against any violation of the privacy clause. I think we are all in agreement that this is a violation of our rights. Protesting against the judicial branch of government when they are the ultimate arbiter of our fate in this matter, risk much, with little chance of success. We will not sway the judgement of the court. What we will be saying to the Judge(s) is that you will not be fair, in advance of them ever addressing the issue. What we need is good attorneys working around the clock, not patient popsicles.

I notice members of the MACC are acting as coordinators for this event. If this turns out to be another dispensary case that has brought our law to the edge of the abyss, what are the patients and caregivers that are not testing the limits of the law for self enrichment, suppose to do next? How many times will we be forced to risk our medicine for the sake of the rich? It just never seems to end. Pushing the sick out in front to act as cannon fodder for the rich. If this is another dispensary case let the sick stay at home. Gather all the dispensary owners in the state out in front of the federal building. There was an open meeting of the city council last week in Lansing seeking input from the local dispensaries. Only one of thirty something showed up. The MMMA will always stand for the rights that are defined in our law. We will never put patients in the line of fire for economic rights.

There is now a weekly protest for dispensary rights. What ever happened to patients first?

sooo is the MMMA going to support the Rally?

We need to keep moving forward.

And I for one will do all I can to show up in Lansing on the 12th.

And until I know for 'certain' (not 'hearsay') that one group of MMJ advocates is trying, through legislative manuevers, to repeal or limit the 'individual patient's right' to grow for themselves, I will continue to show up at these types of rallies, regardless of 'why' the MMJ rally has been organized.

BUT once it is possitively established that there is an effort BY ANY group to limit or end the 'individual patient's' right to grow for themselves, that group and the politicians they might try to 'buy' will never see my support again, be it in the form of time OR money.

We need to keep moving forward.

And I for one will do all I can to show up in Lansing on the 12th.

And until I know for 'certain' (not 'hearsay') that one group of MMJ advocates is trying, through legislative manuevers, to repeal or limit the 'individual patient's right' to grow for themselves, I will continue to show up at these types of rallies, regardless of 'why' the MMJ rally has been organized.

BUT once it is possitively established that there is an effort BY ANY group to limit or end the 'individual patient's' right to grow for themselves, that group and the politicians they might try to 'buy' will never see my support again, be it in the form of time OR money.

This is an Americans for Safe Access rally and ASA will NEVER sacrifice any patient or caregiver rights, EVER!!

I have no power Brandy. The issues I have are not personal, but are on the fundamentals. If you listen to the Karen O'Keeffe video(The lady who wrote the law), our law is a non commercial law. It's intent was to empower people to take care of people. I have now witnessed the end result of what happens when commercial enterprise inserts itself into a question of individual liberty.

I oppose what the DEA is asking the court to do. But if we tell them take your grievances to court and stay out of living rooms, and they do just that, what is going to happen when we break our agreement? Individuals will take it on the chin again when their doors are kicked in. We are now involved in a never ending cycle of patients defending commerce and then absorbing the repercussions for doing so.

Every Lawyer and prosecuting attorney in the state should be in Grand Rapids defending the sovereignty of The Great State of Michigan. The Court is their temple. There must be someone in that court that is willing to defend the right of privacy of the sick and those that take care of them. The core issue is, Does the state have the right to extend additional privacy rights to it's citizens. Not a supremacy clause hearing.

The MACC has unlimited funding. So does ASA. The MMMA worked on the legal issues of the case all weekend. So let's get some lawyers staged ready to file an immediate appeal should the case go against us. Has anyone contacted the ACLU? What is their position on this? This is a case of a lifetime for all the players. It should be played out with the best legal minds on both sides advocating for their positions. If it is dispensaries that have put this very important right at risk, then let them show their good faith towards the community and stage an effective defense for this privacy rights issue by paying the best and the brightest to defend what they have put at risk. But let's not harden the hearts of the Judges that will hear this case by accusing them of being prejudicial unless we know they truly are.

Finally you come on the forum taking swipes at the MMMA(You remarks about ego). Brandy, at least be honest when you call me out. You came here looking for a fight with me. I want real solutions to the problems. I don't want to just throw patients at it. The high will be 25 degrees and snowing. We are sick Brandy. This pressure being brought to bare on our community is making us sicker. I have tried for months to keep the dispensary issue out of our law, but it seems that our fate is now intertwined with the dispensary issue. So here we are again trying to make the case that it is patients that are willing to sacrifice there rights for the rights of dispensaries. Thanks, Joe

Joe,

My only fight is against those who tyrannize the people. And, you do have power Joe. This website is but one example.

The subpoena for the records was issued in JUNE. Way before any raids near Lansing. We don't really know whose information the DEA is looking for. It's very possible that the DEA could be seeking the records of some of your members.

Remember that Ed Bowke and John Roberts were raided by the DEA months before the raids near Lansing. The DEA could be looking for physician information, too. We really don't know. So this is NOT about dispensaries. This is about keeping our privacy rights sacred.

It is not fair to point fingers at dispensaries for the actions of the DEA. Especially when we don't know who are the DEA's targets.

It is patient privacy that matters most here.

No one has unlimited funds. Drug policy reform has been especially hit hard by the recession. And despite the financial challenges, ASA still provides all kinds of vital services, including legal services to patients for free.

The ACLU is not likely to take this on. If they lost, it could be devastating beyond belief. There are however, other competent lawyers who are actively working on this now.

And the DEA will still be kicking down doors whether we act nicely or not. (Just ask Mr. Bowke or Mr. Roberts.) We ought to stand up for ourselves and not just let the DEA walk all over us. We can't let the MDCH open the door for the DEA to get their hands on the registry. This is the issue at hand. Twisting this to somehow be the fault of dispensaries is divisive and takes our focus away from the real danger of having the DEA be able to obtain confidential patient/caregiver/physician information that is protected by our state law.

We have to loudly denounce the actions of the DEA. I haven't heard anyone accuse a Judge of being prejudicial. Our message is clear, Protect Patient Privacy, Say NO to the DEA!

Joe,

My only fight is against those who tyrannize the people. And, you do have power Joe. This website is but one example.

The subpoena for the records was issued in JUNE. Way before any raids near Lansing. We don't really know whose information the DEA is looking for. It's very possible that the DEA could be seeking the records of some of your members.

Remember that Ed Bowke and John Roberts were raided by the DEA months before the raids near Lansing. The DEA could be looking for physician information, too. We really don't know. So this is NOT about dispensaries. This is about keeping our privacy rights sacred.

It is not fair to point fingers at dispensaries for the actions of the DEA. Especially when we don't know who are the DEA's targets.

It is patient privacy that matters most here.

No one has unlimited funds. Drug policy reform has been especially hit hard by the recession. And despite the financial challenges, ASA still provides all kinds of vital services, including legal services to patients for free.

The ACLU is not likely to take this on. If they lost, it could be devastating beyond belief. There are however, other competent lawyers who are actively working on this now.

And the DEA will still be kicking down doors whether we act nicely or not. (Just ask Mr. Bowke or Mr. Roberts.) We ought to stand up for ourselves and not just let the DEA walk all over us. We can't let the MDCH open the door for the DEA to get their hands on the registry. This is the issue at hand. Twisting this to somehow be the fault of dispensaries is divisive and takes our focus away from the real danger of having the DEA be able to obtain confidential patient/caregiver/physician information that is protected by our state law.

We have to loudly denounce the actions of the DEA. I haven't heard anyone accuse a Judge of being prejudicial. Our message is clear, Protect Patient Privacy, Say NO to the DEA!

DEA GO AWAY DEA GO AWAY

I am out of state on business so I will not be attending though it sounds like it may be off anyway. It does occur to me that there are a lot of rallies for dispensaries and not so many for patients. I would hope all these groups can get together and help important patient cases like Bob and Toreys.

well this is a fine pickle to put us in..wtf...i've got no desire to help Disps. in any way...alot of the problems we have now seem to come from the unwanted attention that they've brought to a law that was not designed to accommodate them....it seems that everyone is trying to get their grubby little fingers in the MMJ pie...from some CC and CG's with big plans to grow their way to millions,grow all you can,as fast as you can,because you can sell the overages to a disp.,even screwing the very people they've signed up as patients and who's plants they are growing and making the momey off,,,and then we've got the "outoftowners" who's goal is to put them and the rest of us in their pockets..and the politicians and LEO laughing at the whole show...we peeons are left sitting here wondering who will be attacking OUR rights next...well now i'm mad as hell again,,and i haven't been this upset since Anthony gave his big speach a year ago,which many new members here have no idea about..but thats beside the point,sorry,i digress...i guess the law that was designed to help me and other plan ol'sick folks like me, has its butt in the air like a big target just waiting for the piercing of the bullseye...i guess i'll stand here alone,against CO OP's,Disps,LEO,crooked CG's, polititians and other thieves of liberty, property and money of all sorts...because everyone elses goals seem to differ from mine,which is to grow my Meds in peace,safely,in my own home...i guess i'm just asking too much..sorry about the rant..just because the DEA wants records doesn't mean they'll get them....i won't protest until i know who,what,or why.. nor.. will i support any group without knowing the same...zzb

Bob, If anyone tries to pile anything on you or Torey, we will be all over them. You've been through enough. We will not tolerate further abuse. Thanks, Joe

Thanks they have already did they say we had to many plants that will come out inn court we all know it's not true they want to scare us up into a plea i guess

if that is true then it would blow me away because their would no longer be any hope for us in are case we would be F^^ked for sure

Bob please mis understand me. I don't think this is anything about you.

I'm just saying that, from what we know at this time, it could be any of the 80,000 people that have applied with the MDCH.

And it COULD be about the doctors also.

We just don't know.

We have been told by the press that this is about Lansing area people. THEY were told that by the DEA. And we all know that the DEA would never tell a lie.

I think it's pretty solid that it's about people in Michigan. Since it's the MDCH in court.

well folks,i'm sorry to have complained,i've been one of the lucky ones by not having a run in with LEO,and my heart goes out to those who have done nothing wrong but have been victomised by the system...i have a hard time feeling sorry for those that have stretch the law to their own fancy thou.i don't hide from anyone ,but i try my best to play the game by the rules,i have no need to be up in their face..but pick on me or my friends,thats another story..i admire the work others have done for the MMMA with little thanks from me,although deserved...i've alwas been a bit of a discontent when i felt i had to be. but i think its good to play the devils advocate now and again, someone has to do a power check now and again on the admin team to keep things in balance..lol..i was and still am,prepaired to go to anywhere my tired butt is needed in a pinch..travel is difficult for me but GR was doable...i don't feel or at least hope that our protest would not influence a judges dicission,because that would mean that anothers protest against us could.the DEA would like alot of things,alist of all patients,their DRs name etc...greater minds than mine will have to fiquire out if the law allows them that right...thanks to all whos heart is in the right place and for the actions they take when needed...this is as close to suckin it up and saying thank you to the admin team as i can get..it can't be easy listening to the rants of a malcontent member like me ..lol..zzb

Thanks PB for the update!

Lansing is in fact on for tomorrow. The local compassion club has been working working frantically to assist ASA in pulling this protest off on such late notice. We are honored by the attention ASA has brought on the recent DEA activity in our state and wish to show a strong front to Bill Schuette that this is Michigan's law and he should support the Department of Community Health in upholding it.

This is not about Dispensaries. This is about the ACT. Should Bill Schuette hand over the documents the DEA seeks, the DEA can keep coming back for more. This is about each and every person in the program, this is about the sanctity and validity of the program.

I send a deep felt thanks to MACC for stepping up to the plate with the resources to delay the court proceedings, not only on behalf of their clients, but on behalf of me and each and everyone of us who has braved being on the list.

It wont matter what your views on the law are, if the power of the law is depleted through this subpoena.

Its going to be a beautifully snowy January day in Michigan, bundle up & see you there!

1 pm Capitol steps East side

Archived