Call To Action In 2011 From Dr. Bob

Right now the MMJ movement in Michigan is very small, 50,000 card holders in a state of 10.5 million. It would be a very conservative estimate to say that there are at least 420,000 folks that have the condition, need, money and records to be certified TODAY in this state. It is estimated that at least 4% of the population need cards. In Michigan that works out to 420,000 (interesting number). Furthermore, the KOLANEK Court of Appeals decision was published this week. Under that decision, a patient must have seen a certification doctor BEFORE being arrested to use an affirmative defense. Taking your chances and going to see a clinic only when you are facing legal problems no longer is an option. Be safe first. Get certified.

Why are these figures important? When there are one or two MMJ patients sitting in the back of a city council meeting, they are ignored at best and a joke at worse. When there are 20-30 present, the council will take your questions. When there are 300 present, they want to take you for coffee after the meeting to make sure they understand your issues and are properly addressing them. There is strength in numbers.

We need to be proactive and get the numbers to be taken seriously. When we have 420,000 card holders, every family will have or know one. Including the families of judges, prosecutors, and police officers. Every jury will have a card holder or two. Then we have real protection from unfair law enforcement and 'raids' on legitimate MMJ facilities. Sidney, MI is basically a crossroads an hour outside of Greenville, itself no center of commerce and population. Despite it's tiny size, it has a very active cc and dispensary, and 700 plus club members. We need a state full of Sidneys.

I would like to charge EVERY MICHIGAN CARDHOLDER with the task of finding and getting 10 qualified folks certified in 2011. You don't have to take them to me, there are plenty of professional clinics and even some primary care docs out there doing this, though I would be happy to see them. The point is avoid the no record signature clinics that give us all a bad name, but get people certified so we have the numbers to be taken seriously. Only when our numbers are high enough to make an impact socially will we be taken seriously.

Dr. Bob

http://www.drbobmmj.com/

I applaud your efforts! What I'm finding is most people have been without medical coverage, don't have the required chart notes and can't afford the certification fees. By no means am I being disrespectful at the cost associated to running a clinic but unless there is a way to address what I mentioned we will continue to fall short on our number of registered patients.

Dizz

I am working on that personally. In Mt. Pleasant I am starting a no insurance $400 a year/$35 an office visit clinic to try and get some underserved folks regular medical care. But the point remains, we have to do it. How much is MMJ? $250 to $600 an oz for medical grade, a grow operation can cost thousands to start if you want to do your own. This can and will be done if we have the will to make it a priority. Take the cost of a couple of oz's of meds and let's do it.

Dr. Bob

Some charge those prices...I have a donation box and my policy is if you have to choose between meds or food the meds are free. The donations are to much for most to pay right now. It's great you are taking a stand to ensure that those who truly need help will now have a way to get it.

Right now the MMJ movement in Michigan is very small, 50,000 card holders in a state of 10.5 million. It would be a very conservative estimate to say that there are at least 420,000 folks that have the condition, need, money and records to be certified TODAY in this state. It is estimated that at least 4% of the population need cards. In Michigan that works out to 420,000 (interesting number). Furthermore, the KOLANEK Court of Appeals decision was published this week. Under that decision, a patient must have seen a certification doctor BEFORE being arrested to use an affirmative defense. Taking your chances and going to see a clinic only when you are facing legal problems no longer is an option. Be safe first. Get certified.

Why are these figures important? When there are one or two MMJ patients sitting in the back of a city council meeting, they are ignored at best and a joke at worse. When there are 20-30 present, the council will take your questions. When there are 300 present, they want to take you for coffee after the meeting to make sure they understand your issues and are properly addressing them. There is strength in numbers.

We need to be proactive and get the numbers to be taken seriously. When we have 420,000 card holders, every family will have or know one. Including the families of judges, prosecutors, and police officers. Every jury will have a card holder or two. Then we have real protection from unfair law enforcement and 'raids' on legitimate MMJ facilities. Sidney, MI is basically a crossroads an hour outside of Greenville, itself no center of commerce and population. Despite it's tiny size, it has a very active cc and dispensary, and 700 plus club members. We need a state full of Sidneys.

I would like to charge EVERY MICHIGAN CARDHOLDER with the task of finding and getting 10 qualified folks certified in 2011. You don't have to take them to me, there are plenty of professional clinics and even some primary care docs out there doing this, though I would be happy to see them. The point is avoid the no record signature clinics that give us all a bad name, but get people certified so we have the numbers to be taken seriously. Only when our numbers are high enough to make an impact socially will we be taken seriously. Dr. Bob

w w w.d r b o b m m j. c o m

Wise Words Dr. Bob ,

Thanks for taking the time to explain it all , A Great Basis to build upon . Combined & Collectively We Will Prevail by Raising the Standards of Compliance & Uniformity and become a Community that is Respected and Hopefully Less Scrutinised by The Powers to Be . It Certainly Can Not Hurt to Weed Out the Rubber Stamping Clinics for the Betterment of All ,,,

How to get more people to register.Add new conditions

Rule 333.131 Review panel for reviewing petitions for additional medical

conditions or treatments.

Rule 31. (1) The department shall appoint a panel of not more than 15

members to review petitions to add medical conditions or treatments to the

list of debilitating medical conditions under R 333.101 (5). A majority of

the panel members shall be licensed physicians, and the panel shall provide

recommendations to the department regarding whether the petitions should be

approved or denied.

(2) Members of the review panel shall include, but not be limited to, the

Michigan chief medical executive and 7 appointed members of the advisory

committee on pain and symptom management as described in MCL 333.16204a. The

7 review panel members from the advisory committee on pain and symptom

management shall include 4 licensed physicians and 3 non-physicians.

(3) The department shall provide staff support to the review panel to

assist with the scheduling of meetings, conference calls, dissemination of

petition-related materials, and to perform other administrative duties

related to the performance of the panel's review.

(4) A quorum of the review panel shall concur with the recommendation in

order to be considered an official recommendation of the panel. For the

purposes of this subrule, a majority of the members appointed and serving on

the review panel constitutes a quorum.

History: 2009 AACS.

Rule 333.133 Petition to add qualifying diseases or medical conditions;

review panel; recommendations.

Rule 33. (1) The department shall accept a written petition from any

person requesting that a particular medical condition or treatment be

included in the list of debilitating medical conditions under R 333.101.

(2) The department shall submit the written petition to the review panel.

Within 60 days of receipt of the petition, the panel shall make a

recommendation to the department regarding approval or denial of the petition.

(3) Upon receipt of a recommendation from the review panel, the department

shall do all of the following:

(a) Post the panel's recommendations on the department's website for

public comment for a period of 60 days.

(b) Give notice of a public hearing not less than 10 days before the date

of the hearing.

© Hold a public hearing within the 60-day time period that the

recommendation from the panel is posted on the department's website.

(4) After a public hearing, the department shall forward comments made

during the hearing to the panel for review. If, based on a review of the

comments, the panel determines that substantive changes should be made to its

initial recommendation, the petition shall be denied, the department shall

provide the petitioner with a copy of the initial recommendation and an

explanation of the substantive changes, and the petitioner may resubmit the

petition to the department at any time. If no changes are made to the

initial recommendation or the changes are minor and do not affect the general

content of the recommendation, the department shall forward the

recommendation to the department director for a final determination on the

petition.

(5) Within 180 days of the date the petition is filed with the department,

the department director shall make a final determination on the petition. The

approval or denial of the petition shall be considered a final department

action subject to judicial review under the act.

(6) If the petition is approved, the department shall create a document

verifying the addition of the new medical condition or treatment to the list

of debilitating medical conditions identified under R 333.101. Until such

time as these rules are amended to officially recognize the medical condition

as a qualifying debilitating medical condition, the department shall develop

a policy that allows the new medical condition to be used as a qualifier for

a registry identification card.

Dr.Bob you can put your link in here. Just remember to place a http:// before it or the system won't make it a link.

www.drbobmmj.com

Thank you Garfield. Now can we get my clinic schedule linked to the calendar?

I noticed one clinic schedule was up and thought it would be good to have mine available.

Dr. Bob

approved or denied.

of the hearing.

petition.

AMEN!

I tried to Educated every one i can, Either patient or a caregiver. There is a place and need for both..The more growing the better we are off..Less shortages for patients that can not afford it possibly.Or teach them how..Give a man a gram he smokes for the day, give a man a clone,show him how to grow, He will all ways smoke..Clare is getting ready to have another Commissioners meeting..Was in paer today ..www.clarecountyreview.com Hope to see some more Clare people at this meeting..This is For your RIGHTS....not just ours... http://clarecountycc.ning.com/

Guest finallyfree09

I have spoken to many people that have qualifying conditions but won't go get their card. Everybody was going to get them at first but 90% of them backed out.

Most were concerned about their jobs. Others about their drivers licenses. I am sure we have all heard many of the same reasons why people won't get carded up. Mostly fear.

How can we convince people to do this? I've tried like crazy to get people to just go to meetings and they get all geared up but end up backing out at the last minute.

There has to be some way to eliminate the fear of being stigmatized for being a patient.

The bad part is.... The things that our community are struggling with are the very things that are stopping people from taking the leap.

How do we get past the fear? Everybody I talk to says they're going to wait to see what the legislature does. BAD IDEA imo.

Guest finallyfree09

so nobody has any suggestions? people are scared and CANNOT be convinced that getting a card is the way to go. i am sure that its not just my general area that is like this. nobody will "take the chance" of getting a card. i can introduce you to 20 people right off the top of my head that say this.

suggestions?

anybody?

There is a huge wall of opposition to MJ, including medical MJ. I don't believe the wall will completely crumble until another generation or two has passed on. Many people have made a determination to live their life free of the evil weed. They have resisted temptation many times and have felt very good about themselves for doing so. Their minds are now set on this MJ issue and like in politics and religion, you could beat them about the head with contrary evidence and they will not change their position.

I still believe that the wall of opposition should be attacked however. I think a key foundation for the wall is that the Feds (?DEA) categorize MJ as a schedule 1 drug with no medicinal value. This issue is at the heart of the opposition and as long as it remains we will never be completely comfortable as MMJ patients.

Is there any way for some type of class action lawsuit against the DEA in order to have current research considered in rescheduling MJ.

We need some type of hearing where expert medical and scientific opinion could be given and a rational, non-political review could occur. For 75 years this issue has been used for individual political gains (Anslinger, Nixon, Reagan, etc) at the expense of millions of otherwise innocent people.

The other cornerstone of our opposition I believe is the forfeiture laws. I think this idea became popular when it was thought that the law would be used on drug kingpins that made millions off the drug trade. I think we are all now paying the price for allowing this questionable tactic in the first place. It was a slippery slope and we are all now stuck with the problem of how to stop it.

Our law enforcement agencies should not be able to fund their operations from items they seize from their citizens. There is a built-in temptation for LEO to seize more than should rightfully be taken. If and when LEO’s funding becomes squeezed, the temptation becomes even greater. The result is that this system meant to keep the kingpins from living off of blood money, has now been applied to lesser and lesser ‘criminals’.

With respect to seizures, MMJ growers are like low hanging fruit to LEO. As long as they can seize property, fund their departments, and gain public and professional accolades, they will continue to go after the easy money. It is just human nature to find the path of least resistance. Most citizens would rather have LEO go after violent criminals but really, why should they take that risk when they can get everything they need from the sick and the weak ?

Patients and caregivers now live in fear of having their lives stolen from them because of the forfeiture laws. We hear now where people have had their assets seized and sold without ever having been charged with a crime. This is terribly wrong in almost any American’s mind yet it is allowed to go on.

How can we get this injustice to be looked at by the population? Could there be a vote on such a thing like was done to create the MMJ law?

Is there any way for some type of class action lawsuit against the DEA in order to have current research considered in rescheduling MJ.

Fed. Medical Marijuana Legal Challenge Aided by New Vet Policy

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/fed-medical-marijuana-legal-challenge-aided-by-new-vet-policy

http://www.safeaccessnow.org/downloads/DQA_Complaint.pdf

posted wrong link, corrected now

There is a huge wall of opposition to MJ, including medical MJ. I don't believe the wall will completely crumble until another generation or two has passed on. Many people have made a determination to live their life free of the evil weed. They have resisted temptation many times and have felt very good about themselves for doing so. Their minds are now set on this MJ issue and like in politics and religion, you could beat them about the head with contrary evidence and they will not change their position.

I still believe that the wall of opposition should be attacked however. I think a key foundation for the wall is that the Feds (?DEA) categorize MJ as a schedule 1 drug with no medicinal value. This issue is at the heart of the opposition and as long as it remains we will never be completely comfortable as MMJ patients.

We need some type of hearing where expert medical and scientific opinion could be given and a rational, non-political review could occur. For 75 years this issue has been used for individual political gains (Anslinger, Nixon, Reagan, etc) at the expense of millions of otherwise innocent people.

The other cornerstone of our opposition I believe is the forfeiture laws. I think this idea became popular when it was thought that the law would be used on drug kingpins that made millions off the drug trade. I think we are all now paying the price for allowing this questionable tactic in the first place. It was a slippery slope and we are all now stuck with the problem of how to stop it.

Our law enforcement agencies should not be able to fund their operations from items they seize from their citizens. There is a built-in temptation for LEO to seize more than should rightfully be taken. If and when LEO’s funding becomes squeezed, the temptation becomes even greater. The result is that this system meant to keep the kingpins from living off of blood money, has now been applied to lesser and lesser ‘criminals’.

With respect to seizures, MMJ growers are like low hanging fruit to LEO. As long as they can seize property, fund their departments, and gain public and professional accolades, they will continue to go after the easy money. It is just human nature to find the path of least resistance. Most citizens would rather have LEO go after violent criminals but really, why should they take that risk when they can get everything they need from the sick and the weak ?

Patients and caregivers now live in fear of having their lives stolen from them because of the forfeiture laws. We hear now where people have had their assets seized and sold without ever having been charged with a crime. This is terribly wrong in almost any American’s mind yet it is allowed to go on.

How can we get this injustice to be looked at by the population? Could there be a vote on such a thing like was done to create the MMJ law?

This is an excellent post. I know there are many groups and individuals who have been trying for an open dialog with the opposing agencies, politicians, etc., but few are willing to sit down and listen to us. They still refuse to take this community seriously. They are so blinded by their fears, hate, anger, and especially greed, that make them act so unreasonable. It's very sad. So many innocent lives ruined because of a plant that's proven its worth, many times over for thousands of years, but someday that wall WILL fall. It'd be nice to see it fall in our lifetime. Somehow we must work out a compromise. Many are trying, if only those who need to listen would be willing to come to the table. I'm sure an agreement can be worked out where all sides will come away with something they can live with, if ONLY they'd be willing to give it a chance to work. No law is perfect, but doing what they're doing is hurting everyone and doing nothing good for their image by playing tough guy. I'm glad there are some who are trying to work with the law instead of against it, even though they may not like it.

Sb

I think the way to expand the community is to educate the public on the fact that you do not have to be on your deathbed to benefit from medicinal cannabis. Anyone who takes a few Tylenol PM or the like before going to bed every night qualifies for MMJ. When presented with the scientific evidence, I believe many people would choose cannabis instead.

I don’t think this is a smoking market though, I think extracts are what they would want. Perhaps a small dose blended with other natural healing herbs and made into a capsule?

I also think they would like to talk to a PHD who knows what he is doing. Thanks for stepping up Dr. Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

Dr. Bob,

I mentioned in an earlier thread, if we could come up with an educational video piece that was entertaining too, imagine the free airtime it could get on the web or even on medical marijuana TV news pieces.

Would you consider doing a commercial for Medical MJ, doctor? How about something like this for radio, TV, or even YouTube? Here's a first shot at a script....

(Scene...Our Doctor is in his white medical coat, sitting at his desk, degrees on the wall behind him....)

Hello, I'm Doctor Bob. I'd like to talk to you about a new treatment available today for the treatment of chronic pain.

Did you know that those suffering from chronic pain are at increased risk for serious health problems, depression, and even suicide? Finally, there’s a treatment for your pain that will allow you to keep your life, stay active, and it won’t harm your digestive system either.

For chronic pain sufferers, now there’s Sibannac! Sibinnac has been developed over many years to treat chronic pain and now it is available to qualifying patients in Michigan. Ask your doctor if Sibannac may be right for you.

Aspirin, Tylenol, Aleve and other over the counter pain medications can irritate the lining of your stomach and over time, these medicines can cause their own, often serious health problems. Narcotic pain relievers are designed for short term pain to use while recovering from surgery or to provide relief for an acute injury such as a broken bone. We've all heard of the grief that addiction to these narcotic drugs can bring.

Sibannac is different. It works inside your brain to turn down the volume on your pain signals so that you can get back to enjoying your life. It can deliver soothing relief without serious side effects. Sibannac has been proven safe and effective and has been used in Asia to treat pain for centuries.

Side effects of Sibannac are generally mild and may include drowsiness, a sense of well being, and increased appetite. Do not operate an automobile or other heavy machinery while using Sibannac until you know how it will affect you.

Why not ask your doctor about Sibannac at your next visit?

Learn more about Sibannac, also know as Cannabis or Marijuana, at michiganmedicalmarijuana.org or by calling Dr. Bob at xxx-xxx-xxxx

We've been requesting anxiety and ptsd for a year. They haven't even named a committee to review yet. I vol. to be on it. They will not until they are forced to somehow. We need to remember our reading of the law means nothing, the only thing that matters and seems to be binding is how a judge reads it. You are welcome to file a test case, maybe we'll get a ruling. The MDPH will not take any action until they are made to by the courts.

Dr. Bob

approved or denied.

of the hearing.

petition.

I have spoken to many people that have qualifying conditions but won't go get their card. Everybody was going to get them at first but 90% of them backed out.

Most were concerned about their jobs. Others about their drivers licenses. I am sure we have all heard many of the same reasons why people won't get carded up. Mostly fear.

How can we convince people to do this? I've tried like crazy to get people to just go to meetings and they get all geared up but end up backing out at the last minute.

There has to be some way to eliminate the fear of being stigmatized for being a patient.

The bad part is.... The things that our community are struggling with are the very things that are stopping people from taking the leap.

How do we get past the fear? Everybody I talk to says they're going to wait to see what the legislature does. BAD IDEA imo.

Hey Dr. Bob,

I agree whole heartedly with the fear factor, but for me... I attended the MMA, had every intention to not only become a patient but also a caregiver, but my issues is $$$$. I found out it was $200 for the certification, (which I thought was included in the tuition, my misunderstanding) and another $100.00 for the card application. So were talking $300.00. For me, who has not worked for almost 6 years, and fighting SSD I just cannot afford it right now. I had to charge (and maxed ourt) for my course thinking it would take care of not only the certification but the application cost and now I feel really stuck. So add financial to the reasoning because I know Michigan is in a state of major distress. Maybe fundraising to help those in need. I am now at the point of trying to sell personal items to pay for this so far no luck. I will get there because I only have the best intentions I hope it only sooner than later. Take care.

Archived