Action In Oakland County.

OAKLAND COUNTY RAIDS MEDICAL MARIJUANA COMPLEX, SEIZES $20,000

by Bill Laitner, Free Press Staff Writer, (Source:Detroit Free Press)

writeNewsItems();Regional NewsUS MI: City Examines Medical Marijuana Regulations

US MI: Oakland County Raids Medical Marijuana Complex, Seizes $20,000

US MI: Challenge to Michigan's Medical-Marijuana Law Raises Privacy Concerns

US MI: Township to Host Joint Meeting

US MI: Gaines Township Narrowly Approves New Rules for Medical Marijuana

US MI: Rochester Hills Extends Moratorium on Medical Marijuana

US MI: Adrian Township Imposes Medical Marijuana Facility Moratorium

US MI: Hearing Delayed on Medical-Marijuana Case After Compassion Clubs Objects

US MI: Editorial: State Needs to Clarify Medical Marijuana Law

US MI: Council to Consider Ordinance to Put a Six-Month Moratorium on Medical M

More News Select a State See Map Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia FEDERAL Florida Georgia Guam Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virgin Islands Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Check State Laws

13 Jan 2011

Share This Article delicious.gif digg.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif

Michigan

-------

Oakland County authorities raided the Oak Park headquarters and retail complex of medical marijuana entrepreneur and advocate Rick Ferris, 46, of Berkley but made no arrests "because none of us were breaking the law," Ferris' spokesman Rick Thompson said.

"It seemed more like intimidation than anything else," Thompson said after the raid Wednesday.

About eight sheriff's deputies presented a search warrant as they burst into the Michigan Medical Marijuana Magazine office, the adjoining registered nonprofit Big Daddy's Compassion Club and the Big Daddy's Hydro shop that sells equipment for indoor plant cultivation, he said.

The raid cemented the Oakland County Sheriff's Office as hard-liners in the statewide debate about whether medical marijuana patients and establishments have abused the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. Oakland deputies raided establishments in Ferndale and Waterford last year, making dozens of arrests. Oakland County authorities could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

In Wednesday's raid, officers wore bulletproof vests, and one wore a mask, said attorney Jim Rasor, who represents Big Daddy's Enterprises. But they took nothing except about $20,000 in cash, gathered from receipts, the offices and wallets of about 10 employees and patients, he said.

The sheriff gets 80% of the money seized, under state drug forfeiture laws that give the rest to the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office, said Rasor, who also is an elected Royal Oak city commissioner.

"I know, as a public official, that the public sector is running out of money. But it's just plain wrong to finance your operation on the backs of people who are ill (or) providing a safe alternative to obtaining medical marijuana on the street," Rasor said.

MAP posted-by: Richard Lake

Pubdate: Thu, 13 Jan 2011

Source: Detroit Free Press (MI)

Copyright: 2011 Detroit Free Press

Contact: http://www.freep.com/article/99999999/opinion04/50926009

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/125

Author: Bill Laitner, Free Press Staff Writer

Cited: Sheriff http://www.oakgov.com/sheriff/

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/topic/Oakland+County+sheriff

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/find?275 (Cannabis - Michigan)

They will get warrants later. If they took money and "evidence" (products), they have to justify it by throwing the criminal charge against the wall to see if they will stick. If they did'nt charge its the same thing as just walking in and robbing the place. For all we know they might be just making a big file to take to the feds later at one time and get warrants on everyone they have busted in the past 6 months and charge them under federal law.

They only reason they were so polite was because of all the heat they got over putting old ladies on the ground and sticking guns in their faces in the Ferndale raid. They have to worry about civil suits later if the criminal charge gets dismissed, so its doubtful they will treat anyone like that again.

They will get warrants later. If they took money and "evidence" (products), they have to justify it by throwing the criminal charge against the wall to see if they will stick. If they did'nt charge its the same thing as just walking in and robbing the place. For all we know they might be just making a big file to take to the feds later at one time and get warrants on everyone they have busted in the past 6 months and charge them under federal law.

They only reason they were so polite was because of all the heat they got over putting old ladies on the ground and sticking guns in their faces in the Ferndale raid. They have to worry about civil suits later if the criminal charge gets dismissed, so its doubtful they will treat anyone like that again.

i was their and do not want another case i was not doing any thing wrong jusy by being their they took my card and took pictures of me and gave me back my card and the two joints i had on me

In Wednesday's raid, officers wore bulletproof vests, and one wore a mask, said attorney Jim Rasor, who represents Big Daddy's Enterprises. But they took nothing except about $20,000 in cash, gathered from receipts, the offices and wallets of about 10 employees and patients, he said.

The sheriff gets 80% of the money seized, under state drug forfeiture laws that give the rest to the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office, said Rasor, who also is an elected Royal Oak city commissioner.

"I know, as a public official, that the public sector is running out of money. But it's just plain wrong to finance your operation on the backs of people who are ill (or) providing a safe alternative to obtaining medical marijuana on the street," Rasor said.

MAP posted-by: Richard Lake

Pubdate: Thu, 13 Jan 2011

Source: Detroit Free Press (MI)

Copyright: 2011 Detroit Free Press

Contact: http://www.freep.com/article/99999999/opinion04/50926009

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/125

Author: Bill Laitner, Free Press Staff Writer

Cited: Sheriff http://www.oakgov.com/sheriff/

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/topic/Oakland+County+sheriff

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/find?275 (Cannabis - Michigan)

Just how broke is Oakland county?

Do they NEED to do these "legal" armed robberies to simply make payroll?

Just how broke is Oakland county?

Do they NEED to do these "legal" armed robberies to simply make payroll?

Pb, As in most of these situations, IMO, it comes down to the police department needing to stack up a list of 'suppossedly' varifiable 'drug busts' to present to the Federal and State governments so the police department can continue to receive its portion of the money handed out to finance 'special drug operations' units.

If a department or 'unit' can not show a good bust record then eventually 'officers' start to get laid off... so in the end, just as you indicated, it comes down to the 'money'.

And of course when you throw in the aspect of an 'ego' that needs to be fed, the situation gets even worse.

Good update croppled1

"Undersheriff Michael McCabe said the masks were to conceal undercover officers’ identity. He stated the raid was the result of a months-long investigation.

McCabe said the Sheriff’s Office arrested drug dealers who were selling marijuana out of their homes.

The dealers told the Sheriff’s Office that they were “purchasing all their marijuana at Big Daddy’s and then selling (from their homes) illegally,” said McCabe.

He said the original people arrested were from the northeast part of Oakland County.

McCabe said officers seized 9 pounds of harvested marijuana, 5 pounds of packaged marijuana, 10 pounds of baked goods with marijuana, documents, a digital scale and a laptop computer.

A confidential informant made undercover purchases at the dispensary and that person “was buying from other patients in the facility,” said McCabe."

So, yea it feels bad - sort of like impending charges..grandjury, Fed/IRS/RICO, what ever..

-DN

Good update croppled1

"Undersheriff Michael McCabe said the masks were to conceal undercover officers’ identity. He stated the raid was the result of a months-long investigation.

McCabe said the Sheriff’s Office arrested drug dealers who were selling marijuana out of their homes.

The dealers told the Sheriff’s Office that they were “purchasing all their marijuana at Big Daddy’s and then selling (from their homes) illegally,” said McCabe.

He said the original people arrested were from the northeast part of Oakland County.

McCabe said officers seized 9 pounds of harvested marijuana, 5 pounds of packaged marijuana, 10 pounds of baked goods with marijuana, documents, a digital scale and a laptop computer.

A confidential informant made undercover purchases at the dispensary and that person “was buying from other patients in the facility,” said McCabe."

So, yea it feels bad - sort of like impending charges..grandjury, Fed/IRS/RICO, what ever..

-DN

He stated the raid was the result of a months-long investigation.

i like that part they investigated so well they went to the wrong house

The only Way to stop Oakland county is to stop spending your money in Oakland county i know its not fair to the businesses but maybe the Oakland county commissioner police chief and prosecuting attorneys office would get more pressure from business owners about their lost revenue?

They sure dont give a rats arse about the sick and dying so we have zero chance swaying their minds in our favor so hurt them elsewhere by refusing to spend a penny north of 8 mile .

The only Way to stop Oakland county is to stop spending your money in Oakland county i know its not fair to the businesses but maybe the Oakland county commissioner police chief and prosecuting attorneys office would get more pressure from business owners about their lost revenue?

They sure don't give a rats arse about the sick and dying so we have zero chance swaying their minds in our favor so hurt them elsewhere but refusing to spend a penny north of 8 mile .

That would work i know i saw the news this week about the State losing money because of the Bar's and the Cigarette thing it worked

i do not want to debate the Cig thing but the idea of what they did worked

Can't beat the results. Always the best stuff around! :thumbsu:

Hey now why should we always be truthfull aernt law enforcement the ones who always inflate the value of confiscated drugs like taking an ounce of medicine from someone then saying it had a street value of $3000 to justify all those man power hours ?

Hey now why should we always be truthfully aren't law enforcement the ones who always inflate the value of confiscated drugs like taking an ounce of medicine from someone then saying it had a street value of $3000 to justify all those man power hours ?

Leo gave me my Meds back thats a good sign that they are learning

Archived