Medical Marijuana = Asset Forfeiture. Who Are The Real Criminals?

Guest d00g

Maybe this has already been posted but if not it may be of interest. It makes it clear how corrupt Oakland County's law enforcement is, bringing light to who the real criminals are:

Posted on: January 14, 2011 11:04 AM, by Ed Brayton

Here's a new twist on the already appalling reality of asset forfeiture in this country, and it happened right here in Michigan. Oakland County authorities raided a medical marijuana club in Oak Park this week, seizing $20,000 in cash from employees and patients -- but without filing any charges against any of them. They were in compliance with state law, so no charges were filed.

But the police still seized all that cash, not only from the organization but from the wallets of every patient in the place. The Detroit Free Press reports:

Oakland County authorities raided the Oak Park headquarters and retail complex of medical marijuana entrepreneur and advocate Rick Ferris, 46, of Berkley but made no arrests "because none of us were breaking the law," Ferris' spokesman Rick Thompson said.

"It seemed more like intimidation than anything else," Thompson said after the raid Wednesday...

In Wednesday's raid, officers wore bulletproof vests, and one wore a mask, said attorney Jim Rasor, who represents Big Daddy's Enterprises. But they took nothing except about $20,000 in cash, gathered from receipts, the offices and wallets of about 10 employees and patients, he said.

The sheriff gets 80% of the money seized, under state drug forfeiture laws that give the rest to the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office, said Rasor, who also is an elected Royal Oak city commissioner.

"I know, as a public official, that the public sector is running out of money. But it's just plain wrong to finance your operation on the backs of people who are ill (or) providing a safe alternative to obtaining medical marijuana on the street," Rasor said.

This is more than intimidation, it's nothing more than legalized theft by the government. The asset forfeiture laws allow the government to seize cash or property that is either gained through a criminal enterprise or involved in the commission of a crime. But because the forfeiture is called civil rather than criminal, they can seize the assets without even charging you with the crime in question, much less convicting you of it. Worse yet, the burden of proof is then on the victim of the seizure, not on the government.

Here's the link to the story, interesting comments follow.

That's standard procedure by the police these days. They bust your door down and steal your stuff.

Just be glad they don't rape your wife, kidnap your kid, shoot your dog and burn the house down.....I'm thinking that is the future of the United Police States of America.

I fear that our law enforcement agencies have become addicted to the funds generated by these seizures. They will scream that they cannot protect and serve us without these monies. There will be a big fight with any attempt to repeal those police seizure tactics.

Does anyone have enough legislative knowledge to know how the citizens can go about stopping these injustices? How can we get laws written ( or laws repealed) to stop the police seizures? As I asked in another thread, can there be a grassroots type of movement as was done with MMJ to have this issue put on a ballot? I think the average citizen that is shown these injustices would want the situation corrected.

I fear that our law enforcement agencies have become addicted to the funds generated by these seizures. They will scream that they cannot protect and serve us without these monies. There will be a big fight with any attempt to repeal those police seizure tactics.

Does anyone have enough legislative knowledge to know how the citizens can go about stopping these injustices? How can we get laws written ( or laws repealed) to stop the police seizures? As I asked in another thread, can there be a grassroots type of movement as was done with MMJ to have this issue put on a ballot? I think the average citizen that is shown these injustices would want the situation corrected.

their is a lady i do not no her name but she runs the Midwest cultivator you can look her up in not i will do it for you let me no she is good at what she does

The sheriff gets 80% of the money seized, under state drug forfeiture laws that give the rest to the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office, said Rasor, who also is an elected Royal Oak city commissioner.

Whenever I read about a legalization debate, I usually see Law Enforcement or Prosecutors representing the prohibition side. Interesting that they are the same ones receiving ALL of the money from asset forfeiture. It has to make you wonder, if they didn't get any of the forfeited money, would they still be fired up about maintaining prohibition?

If asset forfeiture laws were changed (eg. via ballot initiative) to redirect seized money away from the sheriff and towards a state's general fund--or maybe to all state-based non-profits--I think LE would have no interest in visiting a dispensary. It would then be like them going to CVS to make sure everything is in legal compliance. That never happens.

Whenever I read about a legalization debate, I usually see Law Enforcement or Prosecutors representing the prohibition side. Interesting that they are the same ones receiving ALL of the money from asset forfeiture. It has to make you wonder, if they didn't get any of the forfeited money, would they still be fired up about maintaining prohibition?

If asset forfeiture laws were changed (eg. via ballot initiative) to redirect seized money away from the sheriff and towards a state's general fund--or maybe to all state-based non-profits--I think LE would have no interest in visiting a dispensary. It would then be like them going to CVS to make sure everything is in legal compliance. That never happens.

It makes a great deal of sense to think of rolling back the seizure laws gradually and yours is a great suggestion I think. Opponents to the rollback could not then claim that the criminals were getting richer because of the rollback and it would begin to remove the conflict of interest.

Personally I think the whole seizure law should be undone but like any major change, it is better accepted if done a little bit at a time to give people a chance to adjust.

Good points. I wonder if there is a way to track assets seized and where the money has gone? It's a shame how LE perpetuates the false perceptions supporting prohibition so to justify their takings.

Good point

All property that has been illegally taken from our community MUST be returned ASAP!

To do otherwise allows local units of government to conduct a regular business of and profit from the illegal business of armed robbery.

If armed robbery is the only way that these agencies can function, then every law abiding citizen of Oakland county is at grave risk.

Archived