Medical Marijuana Caregiver Accused Of Illegal Pot Candy Operation In Ferndale

FERNDALE – A court hearing got under way Thursday for a Madison Heights marijuana patient and caregiver accused of illegally running a marijuana grow operation and processing it into candy inside a Ferndale commercial building.

Michael Rosenick, 32, faces three felony charges of delivery and manufacture of controlled substances after police say a Ferndale fire official did an unannounced fire inspection at a building in the 500 block of Woodward Heights last summer and discovered the growing operation.

“There were four guys in the building and I met two of them,” said Ferndale Fire Marshal Brian Batten. “They said they were growing medical marijuana. It was a pretty severe fire hazard and an imminent danger to life and property.”

Rosenick has been free on personal bond since his arraignment Nov. 18 in Ferndale 43rd District Court. The case has proceeded slowly following Batten’s discovery in early July.

Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said a search of the Ferndale building turned up 147 marijuana plants and a large amount of pot candy, brownies and cookies. He said Rosenick was operating excessively outside the scope of the medical marijuana exemption act.

Ferndale police ultimately turned the case over to the sheriff’s Narcotics Enforcement Team, which got warrants from the county prosecutor to charge Rosenick.

A preliminary hearing in Ferndale District Court to determine whether Rosenick should stand trial on the marijuana charges started Thursday and is scheduled to continue at 11 p.m. Feb. 9.

Defense attorney Michael Komorn said Rosenick and several other registered caregivers at the building were growing a legal amount of marijuana for patients that were processed into candies and other edibles.

Caregivers can grow up to 12 pot plants each for up to five patients, as well as 12 for themselves if they are also registered patients under the state’s medical marijuana law, Komorn said. That means Rosenick could legally have up to 72 pot plants, he added.

Thus far, Rosenick is the only caregiver inside the Ferndale building that has been charged.

“All my client’s plants are covered by the state’s medical marijuana law,” Kormorn said. “The issue seems to be the weight of the candies and other edibles. We are almost three years into this law and patients want good, consistent ingestible medicine they don’t have to smoke.”

i know this guy i met him about 1.5 years ago he has bee with the MMMA from the start and has helped a lot of people (us too) after we were raided he was the first person to help us out if you have had candy then you got it from him i knew about this for awhile but he did not want any one at his court day i went any way because he ask me to that day it got postponed i had just missed it when i got their so i was wondering what happen now i no

FERNDALE – A court hearing got under way Thursday for a Madison Heights marijuana patient and caregiver accused of illegally running a marijuana grow operation and processing it into candy inside a Ferndale commercial building.

Michael Rosenick, 32, faces three felony charges of delivery and manufacture of controlled substances after police say a Ferndale fire official did an unannounced fire inspection at a building in the 500 block of Woodward Heights last summer and discovered the growing operation.

“There were four guys in the building and I met two of them,” said Ferndale Fire Marshal Brian Batten. “They said they were growing medical marijuana. It was a pretty severe fire hazard and an imminent danger to life and property.”

Rosenick has been free on personal bond since his arraignment Nov. 18 in Ferndale 43rd District Court. The case has proceeded slowly following Batten’s discovery in early July.

Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said a search of the Ferndale building turned up 147 marijuana plants and a large amount of pot candy, brownies and cookies. He said Rosenick was operating excessively outside the scope of the medical marijuana exemption act.

Ferndale police ultimately turned the case over to the sheriff’s Narcotics Enforcement Team, which got warrants from the county prosecutor to charge Rosenick.

A preliminary hearing in Ferndale District Court to determine whether Rosenick should stand trial on the marijuana charges started Thursday and is scheduled to continue at 11 p.m. Feb. 9.

Defense attorney Michael Komorn said Rosenick and several other registered caregivers at the building were growing a legal amount of marijuana for patients that were processed into candies and other edibles.

Caregivers can grow up to 12 pot plants each for up to five patients, as well as 12 for themselves if they are also registered patients under the state’s medical marijuana law, Komorn said. That means Rosenick could legally have up to 72 pot plants, he added.

Thus far, Rosenick is the only caregiver inside the Ferndale building that has been charged.

“All my client’s plants are covered by the state’s medical marijuana law,” Kormorn said. “The issue seems to be the weight of the candies and other edibles. We are almost three years into this law and patients want good, consistent ingestible medicine they don’t have to smoke.”

he is taking the rap for it all?

• 2 weeks later...
i know this guy i met him about 1.5 years ago he has bee with the MMMA from the start and has helped a lot of people (us too) after we were raided he was the first person to help us out if you have had candy then you got it from him i knew about this for awhile but he did not want any one at his court day i went any way because he ask me to that day it got postponed i had just missed it when i got their so i was wondering what happen now i no

I have had candy (and still have a 5 gal bucket full of suckers) and it's from me ;)

Archived