Adrian Under Attack - We Need Help!

Please help us down here in Adrian - - We are under attack from our own goverment.

This is what they want to do:

Under the proposed ordinance, no more than one caregiver as defined by Michigan’s Medical Mari­juana Act could use a facility. That means that no more than five medical marijuana patients could use a given facility, since state law limits caregivers to a maximum of five patients.

Vote is on February 1st - All comments can go to:

Denise Cook - City of Adrian Secretary

Mailing Address: 135 E. Maumee Street, Adrian, MI 49221

Phone: 517-264-4861

Fax: 517-264-8016

Email: denise.cook@ci.adrian.mi.us

She will type up every opinion sent in on this and present it to the Planning Board. (she told me this was her job)

PLEASE HELP us educate our community down here on the importance of helping each other and our clubs for education and medical resources. Check out our Adrian newspaper for articles at www.lenconnect.com

We appreciate everyone's help! Hope to see you all in Adrian on February 1st!!

Under the proposed ordinance, no more than one caregiver as defined by Michigan’s Medical Mari­juana Act could use a facility. That means that no more than five medical marijuana patients could use a given facility, since state law limits caregivers to a maximum of five patients.

Correct me it I'm wrong but that is the same as the law we have now for the whole state. What part of that is it that you are opposed to? more info would be good. Sounds like what is under attack are dispensaries. who in the opinion of many are Pharmaceuticalizing mmj and putting it out of reach of the sick and poor. we as a whole should be striving to bring the price of natural meds down, dispensaries are not supporting that goal.

Correct me it I'm wrong but that is the same as the law we have now for the whole state. What part of that is it that you are opposed to? more info would be good. Sounds like what is under attack are dispensaries. who in the opinion of many are Pharmaceuticalizing mmj and putting it out of reach of the sick and poor. we as a whole should be striving to bring the price of natural meds down, dispensaries are not supporting that goal.

I find this confusing.

How does the ordinance define facility?

As far as I am concerned, this is an attack on marriage. I can not be a caregiver to my sick mother if my wife is a care giver to her dieing father? This is an attack on the family.

if you and your wife are patients than that still only adds up to 4 why would two people living in the same home need to be 2 separate care givers ? this doesn't add up or make any logical sense. I think there trying to stop people from having 72+72 plants in the same home. if you were to do this the feds would have a field day with you anyway.

ok There is something that has not been clear in this post. This should bring more light to the subject.

ADRIAN, Mich. —

Medical marijuana dispensing facilities could not operate as businesses in Adrian under one provision in a proposed zoning ordinance, the owner of one such facility said Wednesday.

Besides limiting medical marijuana facilities to B-2 business districts, the law would restrict the facilities to one caregiver per facility.

Under Michigan law, a registered medical marijuana caregiver can have a maximum of five patients, so a given facility would be limited to five patients under the proposed law.

“That wouldn’t be considered a business,” said Nicole Williams, one of the owners of Medicinal Solutions Wellness Center, 227 N. Winter St. “I have a lot more questions than I do comments at this point.”

The Adrian Planning Commission proposed the ordinance Tuesday. The commission will have a public hearing on the proposed ordinance Feb. 1, then could vote to recommend it to the city commission. The city commission would have to approve the ordinance for it to become law.

Michigan’s medical marijuana law, approved by voters in 2008, allows certified patients having certain debilitating medical conditions to grow and use a limited amount of marijuana. Registered medical marijuana caregivers are allowed to grow a limited number of marijuana plants and distribute marijuana to not more than five patients.

Caregivers may be compensated for costs associated with giving care to registered medical marijuana patients.

Medical Solutions Wellness Center is operated as a members-only club in which people buy memberships, Williams said. Registered medical marijuana patients who cannot grow their own marijuana can join the establishment and have a caregiver provided, she said.

“We have a lot of caregivers that are tending to patients,” Williams said.

She called limiting such facilities to one caregiver “absolutely crazy.”

“Our whole point is to assist people who can’t assist themselves,” Williams said.

Williams said she believes her business to be in a B-2, or community business, district, but a city zoning map shows it in the B-3, or central business district.

There are B-2 districts on portions of North Main Street, South Main Street and Beecher Street.

Williams said she consulted with city police and development officials before opening her business at the North Winter Street site.

The one caregiver per facility provision in the proposed ordinance would drive individual caregivers to operate in residential areas, Williams said.

A representative of another medical marijuana dispensing facility in Adrian, The MMM Alliance at 112 W. Maumee St., declined comment on the advice of his attorney.

The MMM Alliance is in the B-3 business district.

Medical Solutions Wellness Center opened Oct. 13. Williams declined to say how many members the business now has, but a Telegram story in November reported that the organization had about 100 members.

Other conditions in the proposed ordinance would prohibit opening a medical marijuana facility within 1,000 feet of another such facility or within 500 feet of a church, school, park or playground, licensed daycare facility or residentially zoned district.

Existing medical marijuana facilities such as Medicinal Solutions Wellness Center or The MMM Alliance would not be “grandfathered” under the law and would be subject to its provisions.

In December, the city commission imposed a 120-day moratorium on any new medical marijuana facilities in the city to allow the city to come up with a zoning ordinance regulating them.

Copyright 2011 The Daily Telegram. Some rights reserved

Well it shouldn't mater if someone likes dispensaries or not. It is a mater of the availability of medication for your community. As it is a place to get rid of overages. I am afraid that patients will have to go to a seedier part of town to get your medication. I believe we should be able to coexist with other businesses in the community. I see no differences in selling Medical Marijuana than selling Tobacco or Alcohol on the same block just doors down.All three businesses we do not wont kids to have access to. So we ask for ID to insure that the kids under age don't have access. Same with Medical Marijuana. It is a common sense issue. Safe and easy access to Medication under the law.

Edited by Focus007

I think they are good but the pricing needs to be kept to a minimum. I think they are good place for patients to be able to go and not feel so worried about certain people,places and things. I think most people are more comfortalbe going to a store type setting than meeting somewere or at someones house. If the law was written more towards caregivers being able to supply (dispensories) it would be a good thing. Also having a one on one relationship with a patient could be achieved if thats what was wanted. A couple years and things will be smoothed out.

if you and your wife are patients than that still only adds up to 4 why would two people living in the same home need to be 2 separate care givers ? this doesn't add up or make any logical sense. I think there trying to stop people from having 72+72 plants in the same home. if you were to do this the feds would have a field day with you anyway.

If my wife and I are not patients, then to legally bring MM to our parents we would both need to be care givers. Other wise, one of use would have to transport it. If my mother would rather have me as her caregiver and my father in law would rather have my wife as his care giver, then so be it. Who is to say this should not be legal? Maybe we have 0 plants as caregivers and obtain all our home bound parents meds from the dispensary? If they want to limit plants, then limit plants. Is that so hard. God forbid a politicians actually said what their agenda was. I do not think it is too much to ask.

I personally think being a care giver is too risky for my family, but I believe I should stand up for other rights. That is what is just.

yes they do and it should not just be going to someones house,having them come to you or meeting. I am a patient and growing but I have seen some caregivers and many look and act shady LOL Knotthole there is nothing wrong with having 50 plants but I am not sure why you would need so many do you grow mostly sativa's?

You're wrong. There are no limits as to how many plants can be in a single facility. A caregiver may have up to 72 plants. A single facility may have several caregivers.

if you and your wife are patients than that still only adds up to 4 why would two people living in the same home need to be 2 separate care givers ?

I think that the number of patients each spouse has, is between the married couple and the Department of Community Health.

Edited by Danielshemp

If you are trying to set up a perpetual grow and you have 5 patients then you would need to have a 4 or 5 step system.

1)seedlings or clones/2 to 4 weeks

2)stage one of veg.month one

3)stage two of veg.month two

4)stage one of the bloom month one

5)finale stage of bloom month two

then harvest, 7 to 14 days of drying and curing.

So if you have 72 plants you would need 12 in every phase of the operation.

Now I would like to think that if a husband and wife/brother/sister or you and your best friend.Would like to support there family's buy having a joint venture and starting a grow op then more power to them. What you do in your home is your business. The Department of community heath would not have a problem if you receive your cards to do so. There no jobs in this county. In fact we are still losing businesses in the city of Adrian every day.

Now if there was no place in our community to get rid of overages and patients to get there meds. We would have to go to dispensaries in Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti. I would rather support my local businesses. As Lenawee county needs all the help it can get. Forcing the Medical Marijuana businesses to industrial areas of town is not the answer. We need balance between government and our new businesses. Don't push us out!!

You're wrong. There are no limits as to how many plants can be in a single facility. A caregiver may have up to 72 plants. A single facility may have several caregivers.

Where does it say any thing about "A single facility may have several caregivers." ? what it does say is that a cg can only have 5 patients. if you wish to have over 49 plants at one address or "facility" and you feel it is your right,go ahead. it is unnecessary and greedy and subject to federal prosecution. Why not just play by the rules. This is about dispensaries not home growers, patients or caregivers.

To thanks2 . I don't think your hypothetical input is relevant to this at all. Sorry, but If your going to go and buy your patients medicine at a dispensary (or on the street) and deliver it to them, then you, your wife, nor your home would be considered a "Facility" your (hypothetical situation)is not going to be affected by this law. If you have no place to buy it you would have to grow it, or find them a caregiver that can meet there needs. I still see no reason for a husband and wife to both be caregivers living in the same home when there are only two patients. I doubt the state would either, nor a judge. If this was the deal in your situation it would not be a problem unless you had two separate grows going and had max number of plants in each. Again this is about dispensaries not home growers, patients or caregivers.

We definitely need EVERYONE to show up on February 1, 2011 @ 7pm the address is:

159 E. Maumee, on the corner of broad and maumee next door to the police station.

Any questions... contact me directly... thanQ :)

MSC3 needs EVERYONES SUPPORT... WE WILL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT THATS FOR SURE!!!!

Hope to see everyone there <3

Edited by MissNikki

Where does it say any thing about "A single facility may have several caregivers." ? what it does say is that a cg can only have 5 patients. if you wish to have over 49 plants at one address or "facility" and you feel it is your right,go ahead. it is unnecessary and greedy and subject to federal prosecution. Why not just play by the rules. This is about dispensaries not home growers, patients or caregivers.

To thanks2 . I don't think your hypothetical input is relevant to this at all. Sorry, but If your going to go and buy your patients medicine at a dispensary (or on the street) and deliver it to them, then you, your wife, nor your home would be considered a "Facility" your (hypothetical situation)is not going to be affected by this law. If you have no place to buy it you would have to grow it, or find them a caregiver that can meet there needs. I still see no reason for a husband and wife to both be caregivers living in the same home when there are only two patients. I doubt the state would either, nor a judge. If this was the deal in your situation it would not be a problem unless you had two separate grows going and had max number of plants in each. Again this is about dispensaries not home growers, patients or caregivers.

Even though you are right about not needing that many plants it is our right to and it should not be changed.

A copy of the ordinance should be available to the public. Please obtain it and post it on this thread, otherwise we are just talking.

Based on what I have seen on the ordinance so far, it zones an area for patient to patient transfers to take place outside of a residential neighborhood. It looks like they are trying to provide some clear rights to do so.

Be careful what you oppose guys. It looks like Southfield was trying to expand our rights by granting some zoning rights without affecting anyone's current rights the other night, and for some reason people had a problem with it. So, the city said "Oh, we thought you wanted more rights under our zoning laws, never mind, 6 more months on a moratorium".

If you keep fighting every little attempt by localities to make for proper zoning of businesses, you are going to screw yourself really bad.

I could be wrong. Like I said, get the ordinance and post it.