Winter Time Room Setup

yngvnkzie420

Hello. Currently Im setting up a grow in my garage.Its a nice finished garage all around...unheated though. I Built 2x4 frame, drywalled, insulated all around. To save on heating this space ( 8x8 square )

I have been sucking air through the carbon filter, through my hood and venting back into the room. Fresh incoming air duct is still the same size. Is this ok or will I run into any problems? Will the carbon filter still work effectively? Even though I have just moved the hot air vent back into the room? I typically just run it straight through the ceiling and vent into the attic...works great when its warm. Now its nice and cold around here. I use an oil filled space heater with a thermostat during dark periods...so thats not an issue. I currently have no plants in this space..till i get the details figured out. opinions please!! Thanks

There is a constant draft coming from under neath the door...The room isn't completely air tight.I can install more passive air vents into the room if need be. But for now im just relying on the draft for fresh air from the garage( which is most definitely not air tight.) The doorway into my room faces the main big garage door(which never seems to open)that lets in some nice fresh air through the cracks..Perhaps suggest a better way to do this? I do have a secondary heater in there...However with just the light on(1k watt hps) it doesnt keep it quite warm enough...venting that heat outside would definitely make it cool in there. I mean, the fan is drawing through the carbon filter, I do feel a draft in there. I prefer to engineer this properly....currently my grow is setup elsewhere...I am just adding another room for more capacity. The garage is the only space i have left.

yeah attached garage. Finished throughout. Im not sure what to do...If i vent outside like normal, the temps will drop and I will spend more money keeping it warm, even with the lights on. Lights out the heat will still be on. I guess I dont have to cool the hoods at all...but how will i deal with smell if there is no carbon filter....Sure, there are only going to be 12 plants in the flowering area..might not stink too bad and just use ona gel. Im sure there has to be more folks with this problem?

Probably will elevate them, dont want the soil/roots getting cold. foam will just soak up the run off and get nasty over time. I like to use big bakers drip pans lined with plastic on top....

So my recirculating hot air through the carbon filter is a decent idea then? Like I said, room isnt air tight yet...little cracks here and there that let in somewhat noticeable drafts....before summer season hits, I plan on adding a hepa filtered passive vent( any incoming air goes through this first, being drawn in of course by the hood vent fan) sealing all cracks( thus making it basically air tight)and blowing the hot hood air into the attic. A/c will also be in the room.

Really just trying to dial in the winter mode. As I said, my current grow is indoors with perfect conditions...but its gotta be taken down soon and moved to this location im working on. Sucks, but its how it goes.

cant help that im a perfectionist...guess its why im studying to be an M.E.

Yep...its a fully finished garage...insulated walls, drywalled all around..just no heat. I built a room inside this finished garage that is also, drywalled, well insulated and all that...new dedicated electric etc. Basically, If venting the hood back into the room, instead of out is going to be a problem, ill just vent it out again and turn the heat up in there...have a nice oil filled heater with electronic thermostat i just picked up.

And yes, the garage is the only place i can set this up...no other options as my house has no basement.

Yep...its a fully finished garage...insulated walls, drywalled all around..just no heat. I built a room inside this finished garage that is also, drywalled, well insulated and all that...new dedicated electric etc. Basically, If venting the hood back into the room, instead of out is going to be a problem, ill just vent it out again and turn the heat up in there...have a nice oil filled heater with electronic thermostat i just picked up.

And yes, the garage is the only place i can set this up...no other options as my house has no basement.

If you built it against a interior wall and its attached you can run another leg off your duct system incase of very cool weather and or do like we do elevate , use hydro and insert a aquarium heater in the main resevoir based on gallons in the entire system you can keep it down to about 40 gallons or less for 12 plants . Use a strain in that room like Kush that can tolerate cold conditions . In the summer when its hot consider a African strain and put everything on the floor . Peace .

Hello. Regretfully, My house is baseboard heat...so id have to do some plumbing...keeping the room warm is not a problem..Like I said I have a nice oil filled heater...I was more or less wondering if venting the heat back into the room would be detrimental to anything...I think im just going to vent through the ceiling and crank that heater up...and deal with the added cost. at least I know my room will function properly.

Hello. Regretfully, My house is baseboard heat...so id have to do some plumbing...keeping the room warm is not a problem..Like I said I have a nice oil filled heater...I was more or less wondering if venting the heat back into the room would be detrimental to anything...I think im just going to vent through the ceiling and crank that heater up...and deal with the added cost. at least I know my room will function properly.

imo, that is the best/only way to go given your circumstances.

"my grow is setup elsewhere...I am just adding another room for more capacity".

If that is the case. Why don't you just add some light & use it as a Veg room for the next 2 1/2 months?

Run a 24/7 light cycle & Vent to temp (set ex fan to set temp) no need for heat!

I am 2nd winter with this set up. In the summer I add air.(big fan)

I would love to do that, however I am taking down the other grow and setting it up in the garage space...wifey doesnt want it in the house anymore. Oh well. Im gonna go ahead, try the recirculating air thing...After all, the carbon filter will still be drawing in cool air from the cracks and small vent...it just wont be expelling hot air during lights on, it will be using it to heat the room. When lights off occurs, my space heater will take care of the rest. THanks folks!

Archived