Germinate Seeds

Herbeezhydro

What is the best way to germinate

seeds. ??????????

I soak them in 50/50 peroxide and water untill the crack open usually 24 to 48 hrs. and then plant into rockwool cubes or soiless mix. I use small jars with lids to soak.

The most important thing you will find out is NEVER to germinate all your seeds at once, especially a person new to growing. Like you see, there are many ways to do it, but stuff happens sometimes, and you don't want to lose all your seeds with one little mistake. Germinate half of them, or 2/3 of them, and save the rest for back up or then germinate the rest after the first ones are successful. Even expert growers slip and lose a batch of seeds germinating every once in a blue moon. It is better to play it safe then lose them all at once.

The most important thing you will find out is NEVER to germinate all your seeds at once, especially a person new to growing. Like you see, there are many ways to do it, but stuff happens sometimes, and you don't want to lose all your seeds with one little mistake. Germinate half of them, or 2/3 of them, and save the rest for back up or then germinate the rest after the first ones are successful. Even expert growers slip and lose a batch of seeds germinating every once in a blue moon. It is better to play it safe then lose them all at once.

I agree 100% I have made that mistake before and it sucks when it`s not replaceable.

Right On

I used to germinate in a paper towel but that can be risky. When you pull the sprout out of the paper towel it can snap the tender tap root. When you send that tap root down a hole in your medium it can also snap the tap root. Whenever this happens to me the seedling stunts and I've never seen a plant recover fast enough to keep up with the other seedlings if it ever pulls out at all.

Now days I use rooting plugs like root riot or rapid rooters. I put the seed in the plug the put the plug directly into a small pot of soil. Cover the small pot with a sandwich bag and rubber band around the sandwich bag to keep it like a terrarium. When the seed sprouts it hits that nutritious soil much quicker then when I monkey around with sprouts. I always remove the bag once the sprout emerges. Starting seeds directly into a rooting plug also helps prevent helmet heads.

It's also easy for me to forget to take care of seedlings in a paper towel. Sometimes the sprouts get big too fast and they never grow like the healthy plants I get now days.

I've found the easier I make things the less chance of something going wrong.

I personally don't have problems with seeds not germinating unless they are too fresh. I usually germinate twice as many as i need because I don't grow feminized seeds. Usually I get half or close to half to turn out female.

If you have never planted seeds before it's best to get some bag seed and practice with those. When I have to change the germination method or area I always do a practice run with seeds I don't want or need first.

If you have success germinating unwanted bag seed don't be tempted to grow them out. Bag seed can have a bag of tricks of their own. You usually don't know what the pollen donor was or how long it will flower or if it will hermie etc...

If you do use the paper towel method always use a clean paper towel and try not to let the sprouts get too long. The quicker you get them into your medium the happier they will be.

:goodjob:

I always do it in small batches. I'm forgetful.... :D

If you let the paper towel dry out if you're using that method, you're done!

So they finally arrived, the easiest way would be to bring them to me and I'll do them lol. Like Tricloud said keep it simple. I never soak in water, it will drown them out. Put on a damp paper towel in a bag for about 12 hours, this is plenty of time for the seed to get the needed moisture. Then plant right in rapid rooters about 1/2 inchs deep making the seedlng work to get out just like in nature. Makes for stronger plants. Dont wait for tap roots to appear, too easy to break or infect. Good luck

The seeds won't grow into the paper towel if you place the container holding the papertowels in a vertical position. Gravity makes the taproot grow down between and not into the paper towels. If you plant the sprout in soil with the tap root facing up it also helps prevent "helmet head" like Ticloud mentioned with the Root Riot cubes.

SOOOOO many ways to germinate.

WHAT THE HEL IS HELMET HEAD.I always heard seed down tap root up so that it tears off the seed cover off. I usaully plant as soon as seed cracks never anywhere near 3/4 in I just toss on top of soaked pot and screen about 1/2 in of good fine soil set right up next to the 600 3 or 4 inches away. seeds are hardy unlike new clones you can put them right up by any light and they will do great.they love all the light you can give them as long as you dont burn them.

Helmet head is when the seed sticks to the cotyledons, or the cotyledons can't open on their own from hard seed shells, and needs a little help removing, which can be lethal if not done correctly. That is the purpose of planting the tap root up. The extra growth path through the soil helps remove the shell when doing it that way.

darn it tap root up,, is this why I have had several casualties in the last few months LOL I always made sure I put the root down and the seed end up towards the top of container

I don't think that is the reason for the casualties, unless they got the before mentioned "helmet head". There is nothing wrong with planting it down. It comes up above the surface sooner when planted down also. I've done it both ways and they both work well. Planting it up could also possibly produce a stronger healthier seedling because of the extra growth path involved. Just a guess.

well im a bit late to the party, but my answer is the same nonetheless :)

this is one of those questions that can only be answered by you...... whats the best way? whats best for me may not be best for you, or others....... but here ya go:

you will need:

2 plates (same size)

2 paper towels

r.o. water (or day old tapwater)

cannabis beans

patience

start by folding your 2 paper towels in half twice. making it a 4-ply sheet.

med_gallery_13801_60_14868.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_2008630.jpg

place one of your paper towels on the plate and lightly wet it with your r.o. or day old tapwater.

med_gallery_13801_60_1023372.jpg

then add your beans:

med_gallery_13801_60_1434339.jpg

next, place your second paper towel (folded in half twice) over the beans:

med_gallery_13801_60_1133326.jpg

now add a bit more r.o./day old tapwater again to moisten.

next cover with your second plate:

med_gallery_13801_60_1673964.jpg

the key from here is temperature and moisture. 70-75° is best. on top of the fridge works perfect usually :) but for a more speedy germination, you can put your plate on top of a ballast.

med_gallery_13801_60_779959.jpg

never let the paper towels dry out, but do no keep your beans floating in water either. you do want to pop the top on things and let fresh air in 4-5 times daily.

normally you will begin to see a taproot sprouting from the seed within 24-48 hours, but some seeds may take up to 10-14 days so be patient.

after a day or so you should see this:

med_gallery_13801_60_657677.jpg

after you see about 1/4" of root, you are ready to plant.

plant the seed, root down, in whatever media you wish. in soil i try to get the bean about 1/8 - 1/4" below the surface. same in rockwool:

after a day or so you should be happy to this this:

med_gallery_13801_60_252075.jpg

and within another couple days:

med_gallery_13801_60_1193111.jpg

if you germinate your beans in soil, you are good to go from the very beginning. if you grow in hydro or start your beans in rockwool, i like to wait until the roots are visible out of the sides/bottom of the rockwool cube/starter plug before planting.

I don't think that is the reason for the casualties, unless they got the before mentioned "helmet head". There is nothing wrong with planting it down. It comes up above the surface sooner when planted down also. I've done it both ways and they both work well. Planting it up could also possibly produce a stronger healthier seedling because of the extra growth path involved. Just a guess.

Well that is a good argument to plant in the medieum right away, and a lot eaiser than haveing to carefully to pick up each sprouted seed. Remember it's just a plant. And as for helmet head, never heard of that till now. I never have had that issue either, by the time they push thru the soil the leaves are strong enough to bust the shell.

Proof is in the pudding. Don't let the tap root get longer than 3/4 of an inch in the paper towel and you won't have breakage issues.

skunk_1_seeds_001.jpg

awww aint them babys cute! :thumbsu: plant em quit fricking worrying so much, the easier you make it the better!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Thanks for the pics ,,If I plant right into soil how deep should they be in the soil. It seems like the times I planted when they were only like 1/8-1/4" they never popped out of the soil. The ones I planted at around 1" did fine.

I plant mine about 1/4"-1/2" deep. Make sure to not pack the soil hard before or after planting the sprout. Get them babies under bright light a.s.a.p.(as soon as planted) and make sure to have a light breeze on them immediately, you will have no problem with stretching and end up with some stout little plants.

Thanks to all who posted their ideas and experience. Just may be germinating some seeds soon for the first time.

Will probably go in soil either right from the start or after a short soak.

Question...what would be a good way to move or pick them up from a soak in water, fingers, tweezers, etc?

Archived