Cash-Strapped Wayne Co. Approves New $300M Jail

DETROIT - Wayne County has approved $300 million in bonds for a new jail that will consolidate its three aging lockups.

The Detroit News says commissioners voted 11-3 Tuesday amid concerns by some members that the county can't afford more debt.

Supporters say the plan would save $26 million a year by reducing inefficiencies.

Sheriff Benny Napoleon agreed to pare his budget by that amount by trimming 170 of the department's 900 jobs through attrition. Other savings would come from reducing overtime, adding video arraignments and consolidating departments.

Sites near Greektown are among those being considered for the 2,000- to 2,300-bed facility that's expected to be built within three years.

The commission faced a Wednesday deadline to issue the 30-year bonds.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/cash-strapped-wayne-co-approves-new-300m-jail-20101104-mr

DETROIT - Wayne County has approved $300 million in bonds for a new jail that will consolidate its three aging lockups.

The Detroit News says commissioners voted 11-3 Tuesday amid concerns by some members that the county can't afford more debt.

Supporters say the plan would save $26 million a year by reducing inefficiencies.

Sheriff Benny Napoleon agreed to pare his budget by that amount by trimming 170 of the department's 900 jobs through attrition. Other savings would come from reducing overtime, adding video arraignments and consolidating departments.

Sites near Greektown are among those being considered for the 2,000- to 2,300-bed facility that's expected to be built within three years.

The commission faced a Wednesday deadline to issue the 30-year bonds.

http://www.myfoxdetr...ail-20101104-mr

i hope they don't have room for any one here

post-4361-0-20126700-1297222524_thumb.jpg

Wayne county lockup is HORRIBLE. I has the displeasure of spending 10 days there. the hot water ran 24/7 in the shower in quarantine. the food was disgusting. had no way to let people know I could be bonded out. they accept exact change only and charge a hidden extra $20 they never tell you about so EVERYONE is short. they lost my fingerprints so it took 4 extra hours to be released then were gonna keep me because my girl waved to me while I was still behind the glass. the sheriff's behind the desk and in the building ALL seemed to hate their jobs and I hated being there.

nice spot for a jail, right slap dab middle of the section of our city that brings it's income in Greektown

Trix

Yah, they've got mile upon mile of abandoned wasteland in Detroit that could be used for a prison.

Maybe they think if the shiny new prison is visible to the tourists they'll feel safer and will stay longer and spend more money. ;)

They could get Eminem to do a commercial for touting the modernity and passion of the new prison:

"Incarcerated in Detroit"

lol, wayne county jail..... I had a very interesting issue with them recently. Awhile back they privatized the food service, i applied with the company, had a few interviews, was "a great candidate with potential to be in a leadership position" and "just the experience they were looking for", which i am more than qualified, 25 years in the field with both ala cart and institutional food, but when i went for my testing, tb, urine, i was positive for marijuana, and even though the doctor submitted a copy of my card with the test paperwork and a brief explanation, i was refused the job.

too bad, it would have been the job that got me back in the black.....

lol, wayne county jail..... I had a very interesting issue with them recently. Awhile back they privatized the food service, i applied with the company, had a few interviews, was "a great candidate with potential to be in a leadership position" and "just the experience they were looking for", which i am more than qualified, 25 years in the field with both ala cart and institutional food, but when i went for my testing, tb, urine, i was positive for marijuana, and even though the doctor submitted a copy of my card with the test paperwork and a brief explanation, i was refused the job.

too bad, it would have been the job that got me back in the black.....

"too bad, it would have been the job that got me back in the black..... "

You got that right! all this is going to do is make the conditions worse, even though it will be a new facilty which in my opinion they need!

They dont need less guards no matter what they do though.. from my personal experience! Yea food would be nice, hempcheff you actulay make that stuff they call food in jails? man I dont think id admit that to anyone, I dont know how you can even call that food, the best thing they ever serve in any jail is cereal, cheap no name cereal has the most taiste out of any of the food! Just saying I wouldnt admit cooking that sheet! what county jails have you cooked for? I mite have a bone to pick with you! see dont admit that kinda stuff on here! just because we are pt's dont mean we havent been in jail before!

Peace and Yuck! LOL

FTW

Jim

edit= I know jails are for punishment but some food they serve is just inhumane! and if you ever been to wayne county jail, well macomb and oakland aint sheet compare to wayne, what a wonderful experience, NOT!

Lol, no i dont work there, but i wasnt hired cause i have meh card

strong statement, i know, but its true.

"too bad, it would have been the job that got me back in the black..... "

You got that right! all this is going to do is make the conditions worse, even though it will be a new facilty which in my opinion they need!

They dont need less guards no matter what they do though.. from my personal experience! Yea food would be nice, hempcheff you actulay make that stuff they call food in jails? man I dont think id admit that to anyone, I dont know how you can even call that food, the best thing they ever serve in any jail is cereal, cheap no name cereal has the most taiste out of any of the food! Just saying I wouldnt admit cooking that sheet! what county jails have you cooked for? I mite have a bone to pick with you! see dont admit that kinda stuff on here! just because we are pt's dont mean we havent been in jail before!

Peace and Yuck! LOL

FTW

Jim

Lol, no i dont work there, but i wasnt hired cause i have meh card

strong statement, i know, but its true.

yea i thought our law protected us from that kinda stuff, but i guess if they found out before they hire you than welll.....

I can see why they wouldnt want someone who is allowed to do something that they are trying to stop happening in their jails! I smoked plenty when i was there!

Kinda blows, I think working for any county or government agency like that is out for you now. Sorry! I Realy am! I know how the budgets are in the jail cooking, some independents are better than others when they start . but they all learn to cut corners and make a buck,,which is what business is all about!

and if i dont like the food, than I guess I shouldnt be going there to eat eh? dry.gif

Peace

FTW

Jim

Michigan needs this like a hole in the head!

where are they going to get 3000 more INMATES?

I thought MI population was shrinking?

its FUBAR! :growl:

To paraphrase Mr. Will Rogers, "A citizen is just a prisoner they haven't arrested yet."

There are still plenty of citizens to be mined for the penal system in Michigan.

People are committing felonies all the time and just don't realize it.

Look at how they are prosecuting that guy in Troy that was looking at his wife's emails...

Shoot, I see 15-20 vehicular felonies committed on the roads every day.

Imagine who would be left in Michigan if they enforced all the laws fully:

Build 300 Wind Generators Instead.

All along the Lovely Smokestak Scenery of the Detroit River! It's our friggin $$$$ anyways. Strap these Crooked neoconservative gangster criminils to the Blades, Plug them in, Light em up and Fry their azzes !

Then serve their crispy bits to the Jail Birds, I hear their Food is Lacking a little ...

..... Reel Justice , get it , they're going around, and around ....heh heh ...

They're sending prisoners from other states to fill the jails, someone told me. The people in jails are cheap labor, too. Eyeglasses and furniture, for example, are contracted out to the jails. Someone told me about it awhile ago and somewhere I saw an article about it. This wouldn't surprise me. More money for their departments, cheap labor, horrid food, poor conditions....legal cruelty... WHY are there so many criminals, someone asked a lawyer. The answer is, too many laws!

Money is wasted every day- they'd rather pay for some useless thing than to pay for healthcare, education, housing, jobs, road repair, etc. and real programs like AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES that would keep kids OUT of jail. Make learning FUN! Treat them with love and respect, not angry little soldiers! Treat them well- they'll grow up to be productive citizens! The ARTS are a very creative way to channel emotions, when people are dong creative things together and having fun, they're less likely to wanna get in trouble. Putting on plays, having support groups, workshops, sports, contests, performances, classes... The arts suffer the most .. Oh this world is SO INFURIATING!

NO ONE wants a jail in their area! A place in the U P voted down a proposed new jail! I'd tell the city I'd move if it was built! A friend in another state said they built a jail near him, and took out most of the trees because they were afraid criminals could hide, or something like that, some STUPID EXCUSE.. it gets very hot there and now there's hardly anyplace to go for shade. An older person especially would get heat stroke out there. What happened to common sense? It got traded for big bucks! Short-sighted, miserable, greedy people. I wonder how many people in jail don't belong there. We're living in a punishment mentality society. It's all they know. How sad.. It's all I've known. You wouldn't believe the stupid things I was punished for, by my own father as well as a foster father who really hated me and let me know it... an innocent child scarred for life, both mothers pleaded with them... Unbelievable. Any chance to find fault with me, people did it, and were very proud of themselves, too! These are the same kind of people who are screwing us now! Sick people are being thrown out on the streets.. into a new kind of prison.. What a HELL. We vote for a law to give us healing medicine,, we voted for a law to protect us... Privacy, freedom, democracy.. ILLUSIONS!!

They'd rather build jails than rehabilitate and educate people! See the connection? Teach them, train them, counsel them, give them choices, opportunities, quality, creative outlets, fairness, justice, respect, COMPASSION!!! Dealing with the unreasonable will always be an uphill battle. Desperate people do desperate things, removing those conditions= fewer criminals! 'deep sigh' OK I'm done ranting for now.

Sb

Michigan needs this like a hole in the head!

i call B.S.!

will they decommission the old prison or keep using it?

we fire teachers! close schools! sell off public lands!

where are they going to get 3000 more INMATES?

I thought MI population was shrinking?

its FUBAR! :growl:

Criminals are not prejudice! they dont care where you work when they rob from you! all the big auto jobs and all connected to it may not be here any more but the thieves still are, they dont care if you work for mcdonalds or G.M they will steal from you either way! we need placed for real criminals, they are letting rapist and child molesters out of jail for drunk and weed impaired drivers, they will put the impaired and mm people who get jail time in the old ratty part and have the new section for the best of the worst of thieves, murderers, rapists, molesters!

yea it sucks glad i dont live down in the rat race no longer, but up here they are making their jails bigger also, there will always be work in incarcerations! jsut like hospitals, there will always be sick people and there will always be people who break laws and go to jail!

Peace

FTW not the criminals!

Jim

Archived