Seeing The "otherside"

Let me start by saying I have supported this iniative since the beginning. I don't need to "toot my own horn" by stating what I have or have not done to support it. I can honestly say that my "part" in this iniative didn't just begin after it passed. Its a very sad thing for me to stand here today and say I am not sure I did the right thing. I have used marijuana medicinally for over half my life. I can honestly say that without its properties, my quality of life would be next to non existant, if existant at all. I know thats a pretty big claim, but I have the medical documentation to show that what I am saying is indeed true. (perhaps not spelling out mmj, but the downward spiral and the subsequent upward climb) To hear at a very young age that your body is shutting down and there is nothing medically that can be done has to be the lowest point of ones life. I have walked in those shoes, I was fighting tooth and nail to keep myself here on this earth. Everyday I believed it might be my last and through it all I retained a shred of hope. I was introduced to mmj as an appetite stimulant and a nausea remedy during chemo. Being unable to retain nutrients I had lost over 35% of my body weight and closer to 50% muscle mass. This of course was long before our iniative was introduced. My need to support the iniative was indeed selfish. I wanted to be able to speak openly to others in my support groups about mmj and its benefits. I would not do that with the stigma of an "illegal drug" over my head, not to mention a professional job that would have been terminated. When the iniative passed I believed my life was indeed "balanced". I was no longer partaking in criminal activity and I could be open to speak about it in my support groups and anywhere else I chose to. I can "hold my own" when defending our iniative in an intelligent, positive manner to those that oppose it. I have done it many times and believed I would be doing it until it was no longer neccessary.

This weekend I believe my perspective on this law may have changed. I can not support dispensaries moving in next door. I live in a very small community here in Northern Michigan and love the area. This weekend I learned that a dispensary is in the midst of signing a lease in a building that is "a stones throw" away from my home. This disturbs me greatly. I can see this building across the street from me. Its not a few miles down, its my neighbor. In speaking with several other neighbors, this is a great concern for us all. (mind you 3/5 of those neighbors are cardholders) I can not sit back and not try to fight this. YET, I feel disloyal to the MMJ community and feel the overall negativity could be damaging as a whole to the mmj community. I do not want to damage everything I have fought so hard to help, but at the same time I do not want to leave my home. I will not continue to reside in my home if this dispense goes in next door. I own this home and it would be a tragedy financially and in general for me to walk away from it. My child was raised here, it is the only home she knows. On the same level, here is a face that encouraged locals to vote YES, supports her local businesses and community and she is going to stand up to have council put restrictions on having dispensaries in our community. I have always danced to a different drum, been my own person, spoke my mind and have been respected locally.

I suppose what this boils down to is I am seeing the "other side" of something I never thought I would see. I never thought that I would be iniating something AGAINST mmj or involving community council to do so. But on the same hand, I never understood that we were going to be allowing these dispensaries on every corner. Any suggestions on how to go about this without causing further grief to the MMJ community? The last thing I would want is to damage something I need and have helped fight for......

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im really confused....you sound as if mid stride you forgot all you know for a fact and replaced it with their propaganda.... what concerns you so, did you for get to get upset when they built a drug store...... did you get up in arms when they built the liquor store so close to the church? what is so scary ?

You helped fight for the legal use of mm not for the dispenses,

on the other hand, if some one was opening a flower store next door would you approve that, how about a gas station or a bar or restuarnt?

I have realy no advise for you on this one, sorry it seems you want to have your cake and eat it too, I live in a very small towne.. and id like to see one open!

I prob would never purchase from them, it is no difference than any other type of business opening, are you afraid of the type of people that use mm being in your neigbor hood?

Nuff said!

Peace

Free The Weed!

Jim

Let me start by saying I have supported this iniative since the beginning. I don't need to "toot my own horn" by stating what I have or have not done to support it. I can honestly say that my "part" in this iniative didn't just begin after it passed. Its a very sad thing for me to stand here today and say I am not sure I did the right thing. I have used marijuana medicinally for over half my life. I can honestly say that without its properties, my quality of life would be next to non existant, if existant at all. I know thats a pretty big claim, but I have the medical documentation to show that what I am saying is indeed true. (perhaps not spelling out mmj, but the downward spiral and the subsequent upward climb) To hear at a very young age that your body is shutting down and there is nothing medically that can be done has to be the lowest point of ones life. I have walked in those shoes, I was fighting tooth and nail to keep myself here on this earth. Everyday I believed it might be my last and through it all I retained a shred of hope. I was introduced to mmj as an appetite stimulant and a nausea remedy during chemo. Being unable to retain nutrients I had lost over 35% of my body weight and closer to 50% muscle mass. This of course was long before our iniative was introduced. My need to support the iniative was indeed selfish. I wanted to be able to speak openly to others in my support groups about mmj and its benefits. I would not do that with the stigma of an "illegal drug" over my head, not to mention a professional job that would have been terminated. When the iniative passed I believed my life was indeed "balanced". I was no longer partaking in criminal activity and I could be open to speak about it in my support groups and anywhere else I chose to. I can "hold my own" when defending our iniative in an intelligent, positive manner to those that oppose it. I have done it many times and believed I would be doing it until it was no longer neccessary.

This weekend I believe my perspective on this law may have changed. I can not support dispensaries moving in next door. I live in a very small community here in Northern Michigan and love the area. This weekend I learned that a dispensary is in the midst of signing a lease in a building that is "a stones throw" away from my home. This disturbs me greatly. I can see this building across the street from me. Its not a few miles down, its my neighbor. In speaking with several other neighbors, this is a great concern for us all. (mind you 3/5 of those neighbors are cardholders) I can not sit back and not try to fight this. YET, I feel disloyal to the MMJ community and feel the overall negativity could be damaging as a whole to the mmj community. I do not want to damage everything I have fought so hard to help, but at the same time I do not want to leave my home. I will not continue to reside in my home if this dispense goes in next door. I own this home and it would be a tragedy financially and in general for me to walk away from it. My child was raised here, it is the only home she knows. On the same level, here is a face that encouraged locals to vote YES, supports her local businesses and community and she is going to stand up to have council put restrictions on having dispensaries in our community. I have always danced to a different drum, been my own person, spoke my mind and have been respected locally.

I suppose what this boils down to is I am seeing the "other side" of something I never thought I would see. I never thought that I would be iniating something AGAINST mmj or involving community council to do so. But on the same hand, I never understood that we were going to be allowing these dispensaries on every corner. Any suggestions on how to go about this without causing further grief to the MMJ community? The last thing I would want is to damage something I need and have helped fight for......

What exactly are you afraid of ? If this was a mom and pop grocer how would it be different . Do you even understand the traffic paterns this would create .? With only 50,000 patients in Michigan I cannot imagine the traffic would be heavy . Nor will everyone that opens stay in business long . I have never been to a dispensory but after seeing what is available up in Lansing in the Farmers market model that supports patients I want too . The prices were reasonable when balanced against my own suffering and results for supplemental supply when down due to poor health if I could get there . There are people who cannot grow or find need too late to wait for a crop to come in ....myself I am right on the borde and emergencies interupting my grow come up at times ..yet I cannot in my mind afford to buy as a full time solution but that should not deny those that can short or long term the opertunity . Do you have anything to fear but fear itself ? How do you veiw other medicinal cannabis users , people with hidden disabillities ? In all studies there is no correlation between crime and their precence over banks or drug stroes . What do you think will occur that gives you reason to fear ? How can every patients needs be met safely especially those new to communities and temporary residents around hospitals who are scared to devluge to strangers they are weak and sick scared they may be preyed on . This is why you bring everything out in the open and use storefronts to fill some needs in our community . I would think you would be pleased to see this as progress towards ending the discrimination against medicinal cannabis .

I would use extreme caution with the local city officials Northerngal.. You could tell them you dont want a dispensary as your neighbor and they take that as they need to write in no transfers in the limits of the village you live in.. You could tell them you are conserned with your familys safety and they write that no growing in the city limits.(fires could happen) It seems to me that your area has things pretty well covered for taking care of its own so maybe the dispensary wont be successful. Be careful what you ask for Northerngal.

I can not sit back and not try to fight this. YET, I feel disloyal to the MMJ community and feel the overall negativity could be damaging as a whole to the mmj community

i understand your delema. Keep in mind, while we fought to get MMJ legalized for patients, a large part of that was in opposition to a Dispensery.

Here in Mi, we DID NOT want to have dispenserys on any corner, let alone every one. While a Dispensery can make it easy for those Pts with mobile disabilities, as well as anyone looking for some medicine, the same can be had from a qualified CG. Im willing to be most CGs would deliver as well to those in need.

impo, Dispenserys (atleast at this point in time) are indeed a blackeye factor.

Dispenserys are Bars, difference instead of alcohol, you have MMJ, instead of a license saying your 21, you have a Pt/CG card. other than than the similarities are much the same. And in todays Age, not many bars have the same community Stigma they once had. SO Dispenserys will draw un needed and/or unWarrented attention to the MMMA of 08, attention that wont be all that well recieved imo.

While MMJ needs to remain legal, we need to show, Dispenserys, while ok for some Legalized MMJ states, are not wanted, needed, or desired here in Michigan.

I would use extreme caution with the local city officials Northerngal.. You could tell them you dont want a dispensary as your neighbor and they take that as they need to write in no transfers in the limits of the village you live in.. You could tell them you are conserned with your familys safety and they write that no growing in the city limits.(fires could happen) It seems to me that your area has things pretty well covered for taking care of its own so maybe the dispensary wont be successful. Be careful what you ask for Northerngal.

Get out of my head! Couldn't of said it better.(well maybe if some one hadn't stolen my thoughts) Just kidding but you did hit the proverbial nail on the head!

i understand your delema. Keep in mind, while we fought to get MMJ legalized for patients, a large part of that was in opposition to a Dispensery.

Here in Mi, we DID NOT want to have dispenserys on any corner, let alone every one. While a Dispensery can make it easy for those Pts with mobile disabilities, as well as anyone looking for some medicine, the same can be had from a qualified CG. Im willing to be most CGs would deliver as well to those in need.

impo, Dispenserys (atleast at this point in time) are indeed a blackeye factor.

Dispenserys are Bars, difference instead of alcohol, you have MMJ, instead of a license saying your 21, you have a Pt/CG card. other than than the similarities are much the same. And in todays Age, not many bars have the same community Stigma they once had. SO Dispenserys will draw un needed and/or unWarrented attention to the MMMA of 08, attention that wont be all that well recieved imo.

While MMJ needs to remain legal, we need to show, Dispenserys, while ok for some Legalized MMJ states, are not wanted, needed, or desired here in Michigan.

Disp are nothing like a bar, a bar you get booze for "fun" that you must consume there....a disp u get medicine that u must take home.

Get out of my head! Couldn't of said it better.(well maybe if some one hadn't stolen my thoughts) Just kidding but you did hit the proverbial nail on the head!

Lol at times im sure i could be more eloquent but hey if i hit the nail its all good right? In all seriousness.... be careful what you ask for from the MAN..

Well to be honest, we don't have any of the named things above in our community. We don't have a liquor store, although our gas station carries some alcoholic beverages. We don't have a drug store. As I said we are a small community. My family chose this community years ago for those reasons. Over half of our residents were born and raised here. We still have those places within 10 miles, if needed, but not in our faces. In the community I live in crime is hardly an issue. Of course we have teenagers that break into cabins, someone that decides to shoot a deer on the off season, a drunk passing through. We might have an arson every 10-15 years. We don't have police patrolling our steets, you may see a cop car pass through checking on things occasionally. Personally, having family and friends in law enforcement, I do not fear the LEO in our community. I have had LEO in my home, sharing my food as my friends and have discussed my use of MMJ. We have not had anyone arrested for MMJ in our county since the iniative passed, not a legal cardholder abiding by law.

The dispenses in the Traverse City area have been on the news more than once since opening. Traverse City is one of our biggest cities here in Northern Michigan, but that is quite a distance from us. We do not need negative media, we do not need more LEO covering our community, we do not need break-ins next door. My child, being a young teen walks with her friends to their homes or to the park...through the parking lot of this place. I am not claiming everyone operating or buying from a dispense is a "bad guy", far cry from it. BUT these places bring unwanted attention, unwanted people, crime and more LEO and that is not something most in our community want. We have lived a pretty peaceful existance and we prefer to keep it that way. If people want to open dispensaries and provide a service to people, fine......but not next door to my home, not in a residential area. Our county was one of those that was split, there was not a huge margin in the voting. If a dispensary is opened in our community, my words and health will no longer be enough to help persuade anyone here that MMJ is not a DRUG. We have alot of very "simple" people here (not an insult by any means), if they are shown that something is positive and benefitting members of the community they will do what they can to help. If they see that the same thing, although helping some in the community, is bringing a negative light to the community they will not stand for it. It might be a small community that stands by their long term residents, but no amount of money or talk will "make things right" if a dispensary brings the things that they have been shown to bring. (as mentioned above)

I know this thread and my words are not going to be gaining me any friends...may even lose a few here on the board. But I truly am looking for the appropriate way to go about this without shedding any negative light on the MMJ community.

Perhaps Gangawarrior you can explain to me why I should be happy that this place is going to attempt to open next door. What benefits can it offer? How is it going to benefit our community in anyway? I am open to hearing a different side. Perhaps I am missing something??

the same can be had from a qualified CG

Absolutely not the State is not processing cards fast enough nor is meeting one stranger at a time or having one supplier off craigslist or wherever as safe and reliable .

Face it most ( not all ) against dispensaries feel disadvantage and threatened because their interested in sales themselves . Look at the Farmers Market Model that takes a percentage like a consignment shop and hope it is accepted by all concerned with patient to patient transfers both can exist and absent legalization most these dispensaries will end up out of business in time .Market forces will determine the number of supported outlets . How many oxygen bars exist after that ran it's course . ( darn hate to use anything with bars in it ) Cannabis is not alcohol and we don't have FDA drug bars . Be interesting to see what Walmart does if legalization is ever passed ;-) .

Thank you for bringing this difficult discussion up . I can understand your thoughts but maybe you should have more faith in the people that will come out of the rural areas into your hamlet to fulfill their medical needs . We live by trust as its better then dieing do to distrust of otheres alone . I think allot of people here can identify with how sometimes change though necessary can be troubling , hard to endure and come with a sense of loss . Where I live things have grown immensely over the past 20 years . Thank you again for this discussion .

Wow.

I would be thrilled. Put one one every corner. I am unemployed now, first time in 30 years. Jobs are jobs. Would love to open one in Gladwin.

I get the whole argument on Dispensaries not being compassionate, because of their prices.

I get the whole other side of that. Business. Expenses. Profit margin. Capitalism. Loans. Interest. Insurance. Taxes.

If 3/5 of you neighbors have cards, then transfers are already occurring all around you. Legally.

For the first time in your life, your medicine, and your neighbors medicine, is legal.

If the Dispensary only sells to Cardholders, then I see no issue. It's legal, as long as the judge in your county goes along with it. As did the judge in Isabella County, Mt. Pleasant. That fight isn't over, but there are clubs and dispensaries all over Michigan, and growing.

If a bar or a Rite Aid was going in across the street, would you be as concerned ? Legal drugs/medicines are just that. Legal.

I think we all should support the current laws, plus want the State to give approval for dispensaries and all forms of clubs. Everybody is different. Some grow/obtain for themselves. Some use a Caregiver. Some like clubs with smoking areas and/or vending areas. Some don't. Some prefer the dispensaries. I think that all options should be out there, for the Patients to chose the path to their well being. Why would I want to limit that ??

You get yours the way you want to get it, and the hell with those around you who go about their obtaining in a different way ? Interesting.

I have sat in the lot in Mt. Pleasant. People like me. They park. Get their meds. They leave. I would rather have a store across the street from me being watched by police. Keeps my street safe. Would rather have the potential robbery at the store, not at my house. Keeps me off the radar. Keeps a lot of transactions in one safe location, as opposed to up and down the streets and alleys.

I hope the store opens. I pray, after a while, you gain an understanding for your peers, as we are all in this together. Peace.

I totally get this factor Annie. That is indeed why I asked for opinions. I know these "councilmen" very well. I grew up with most of them, they are my friends and neighbors. I am not claiming that makes them "honest" or trustworthy. What I do know is how most of them think. I have been invited to run for office, to serve with my friends, perhaps someday when I have more time, I will do so. I personally am not a CG, but believe that CG's need to be protected! I would never attempt to jeopardize legit caregivers or patients in anyway. I don't think you were inferring that, you have met me, I am an easy going gal for the most part that would do anything she could for a fellow patient....but I didn't believe this was what our law was going to bring. I can "turn the other cheek" if thats what a majority of people believed they voted for....but to be honest its not. Its not what I voted for or believed I was voting for. I thought the whole purpose of our law was to allow patients to grow their own or have a said CG grow it for them, not to open "Weed stores" next door to peoples home!!

I am sorry to those that seem to be upset by what I am saying. I do not mean any disrespect.

Face it most ( not all ) against dispensaries feel disadvantage and threatened because their interested in sales themselves.

I agree Croppled, but I can say I am indeed not one of those people. I am NOT a grower. I am only a patient. Thats all I will probably ever be. I don't have the time needed to dedicate to growing. I have never made a dime off the MMJ act, never intended to either. If anything it has cost me alot of money :) SO my motives have nothing to do with the great green dollar!

I totally get this factor Annie. That is indeed why I asked for opinions. I know these "councilmen" very well. I grew up with most of them, they are my friends and neighbors. I am not claiming that makes them "honest" or trustworthy. What I do know is how most of them think. I have been invited to run for office, to serve with my friends, perhaps someday when I have more time, I will do so. I personally am not a CG, but believe that CG's need to be protected! I would never attempt to jeopardize legit caregivers or patients in anyway. I don't think you were inferring that, you have met me, I am an easy going gal for the most part that would do anything she could for a fellow patient....but I didn't believe this was what our law was going to bring. I can "turn the other cheek" if thats what a majority of people believed they voted for....but to be honest its not. Its not what I voted for or believed I was voting for. I thought the whole purpose of our law was to allow patients to grow their own or have a said CG grow it for them, not to open "Weed stores" next door to peoples home!!

I am sorry to those that seem to be upset by what I am saying. I do not mean any disrespect.

Im not upset at all, slightly confused maybe...i dont see what your problem is. I hope you didnt really pick your home because there were no drugstores, or bars, cuz if u did the gas station sells beer, that would be a far greater concern to the well being of your lil community. I bet its even likely your lil community has a church, i wont even get into the dangers of raising a child within 50 miles of church. The only concerns i could see you having are those the anti mmj crowd told you to have.

northerngal I'm glad you have the courage to speak out. Dispensaries were never intended in our law, yet they've drawn much attention to our community, and as we speak, are attempting to influence politicians, which can cause us to lose our rights to grow and who we choose to acquire it from.. The backlash is being felt throughout our community. I know there many be a need for them, but not now. NOT NOW, I've been saying for months. I'm seeing too many bad reports about them, they do not belong in our law. From what I've read and heard, they're operating from other states, though the owners may reside here now. I can't believe what is happening. Everything seems so upside down about this.

I don't know what to say about solving this without hurting what we have. My best idea is to write a letter and work on it a bit. Make it clear what you and those who support your position are asking for, and make it clear what you don't want, too. You want the disp. not to be allowed there, but you don't want to lose the rights you already have that our law gave us. Writing out your thoughts will help you sort through them and prepare a solid opinion to present to whoever you complain to.

Sincerely, Sb

On this I am really ambivalent because I can see value in both arguments. I will not personally be using a dispensary, but I may visit one to get a look at varieties before I choose one for myself.

With that said, there are ancillary benefits to having one near me in terms of leo watching them for illegal activity and not me or people like me. I do not believe that the votes would have been there if dispensaries had been anywhere in the language of the bill.

And...with that said I have to say it isn't excluded in the bill either. If someone wants to open up a business like this and be a test case for the courts and leo I say go for it. They have every right to make $$, employ people, and pursue their entrepreneurial dream.

Im not upset at all, slightly confused maybe...i dont see what your problem is. I hope you didnt really pick your home because there were no drugstores, or bars, cuz if u did the gas station sells beer, that would be a far greater concern to the well being of your lil community. I bet its even likely your lil community has a church, i wont even get into the dangers of raising a child within 50 miles of church. The only concerns i could see you having are those the anti mmj crowd told you to have.

I have addressed my concerns above. These are things I am seeing daily in communities with dispensaries, judge supported or not. We do indeed have several churches and all of them are within a few blocks from my home. I suppose I do not see how raising my child near those churches has done anything besides enrich her life!! I will not get into a debate over the subject of religion, I spent 2 years of my life studying just about every kind of religion known to man. My beliefs on that subject are obviously irrelevant to the opening of a dispensary. Has our gas station ever been broken into by someone seeking beer...NO! Does our gas station bring people and media from all over the state....heck no! Does our gas station offer needed services to our community besides for the alcholics...of course. Have we ever had a need for LEO to patrol our streets daily due to the gas station....no. How many drunk drivers have been arrested within a few blocks from my home in the past 3 years.....one.

To finish off my response. I am not a follower, never have been. My thoughts, words and observations have nothing to do with the anti-mmj crowd.

I have addressed my concerns above. These are things I am seeing daily in communities with dispensaries, judge supported or not. We do indeed have several churches and all of them are within a few blocks from my home. I suppose I do not see how raising my child near those churches has done anything besides enrich her life!! I will not get into a debate over the subject of religion, I spent 2 years of my life studying just about every kind of religion known to man. My beliefs on that subject are obviously irrelevant to the opening of a dispensary. Has our gas station ever been broken into by someone seeking beer...NO! Does our gas station bring people and media from all over the state....heck no! Does our gas station offer needed services to our community besides for the alcholics...of course. Have we ever had a need for LEO to patrol our streets daily due to the gas station....no. How many drunk drivers have been arrested within a few blocks from my home in the past 3 years.....one.

To finish off my response. I am not a follower, never have been. My thoughts, words and observations have nothing to do with the anti-mmj crowd.

Please see above.....all i can see is "the sky is falling"..... not one bit of "if this disp opens it will......". You use words like tragedy, but never give the details on whats so tragic. I truly mean no disrespect, and im not a fan of disp, for dif reason that what im guessing yours are.

You say: "If people want to open dispensaries and provide a service to people, fine......but not next door to my home, not in a residential area."

This is the ultimate in NIMBY (Not In My BackYard) thinking. You even acknowledge that you don't have a problem with dispensaries per se. If you agree that there is some value in dispensaries for those who chose to use them, then who's backyard SHOULD they be built in? Should these businesses be relegated only to inner-city, high crime areas? (Remember, it is PATIENTS who use these facilities, so PATIENTS will be the ones forced to drive into the "red light" district to get their meds...)

I have to ask what makes you so sure that a dispensary will bring any more crime, law enforcement activity, or "shady" people into your neighborhood. For every story of dispensaries being victimized by criminals or operating iresponsibly (setting up shop next to a school/playground, inappropriate advertising, etc.) there are dozens of dispensaries that don't make the news, or attract crime and dozens who operate in a very professional, discreet manner. Do you have reason to believe that this dispensary is one of the "bad" ones rather than a professional one?

It sounds like your issue isn't with the MM Dispensary itself, but in the fact that your community, which you value because of its historical isolation from the rest of the world. While there is nothing wrong with valuing that, don't make MM dispensaries your enemy. CHANGE and DEVELOPMENT are your enemies. If you want your community to stay small and insular, fine, but then apply that reasoning even handedly. I'm guessing you would feel no different if a strip bar or casino were to open in your community. However, I have to echo what others have said. What makes you align this business with socially detrimental businesses rather than positive productive ones, like your local pharmacy, grocery store, or convenience store? As a patient, you know as well as any how much this plant can aid those who are sick and dying. Why is providing those folks with easy access to medicine a negative in your view?

EDIT:

You state that your convenience store provides services to others than just the " alcoholics" and that it has never been broken into by someone seeking beer seemingly insinuating that opening a dispensary will bring throngs of "potheads" or "stoners" to your community, and a bunch of drug addicts itching to break into a dispensary to steal their meds. What a holier than thou and disrespectful stance!

It would likely bring medical marijuana patients to your community, but as a patient yourself how can you sit on a high horse and say your use is justified but those coming to dispensaries isn't?! Have YOU had the urge to go rob a dispensary to get meds? What makes you think anyone else has! Liquor stores are robbed all the time. Just because it hasn't happened to the particular liquor store in your community yet doesn't mean it might not in the future, just as a dispensary in your community is no more likely to be robbed than any other business.

Tremendously insulting to your fellow patients.

I wasnt inferring that at all gal.. :-) Im with you on protecting pts/cgs.. and seems like it may be a done deal so you can see how it goes. The studies in Cali seem to indicate the raise in crime may be overblown. Your club seems solid and i wouldnt worry..

"dispensaries were never intended?"

i call bs on this. you have each and every person only throwing out their opinions. the MMMA08 says nothing about them.

IN FACT - i took that to be a great thing. i'd rather have my laws be explicit with their guidelines and not implicitly outlawing forms of distribution.

when in 2008 the initiative was ready to be voted on, i can't tell you how many people i had heard looking forward to dispensaries. or lounges. both are different and can be one in the same. both are choices for patients to make.

the law said a patient can obtain it from any source - would you rather those people stop buying homegrown from the US (benefit of the doubt for imports of other mmj states overages) or keep the drug war open with patients having to go back to the streets for 70 years?

SAFE ACCESS is better than keeping it in the dark corner

and only in michigan have i met people that want "their community safe" and so their only reasoning is to restrict their community down to a few shops and hope for the best. michigan is a failed state for many reasons. 2 of those reasons are because liquor stores and churches are the only two businesses that exist anymore and i'm hoping the dispensaries will help us out of that one. bring us to society we should be. where we treat the plant with the respect it deserves. no patient should try and put other patients back in the hands of street dealers or in corner alley's

/rant

northerngal I'm glad you have the courage to speak out. Dispensaries were never intended in our law, yet they've drawn much attention to our community, and as we speak, are attempting to influence politicians, which can cause us to lose our rights to grow and who we choose to acquire it from.. The backlash is being felt throughout our community. I know there many be a need for them, but not now. NOT NOW, I've been saying for months. I'm seeing too many bad reports about them, they do not belong in our law. From what I've read and heard, they're operating from other states, though the owners may reside here now. I can't believe what is happening. Everything seems so upside down about this.

I don't know what to say about solving this without hurting what we have. My best idea is to write a letter and work on it a bit. Make it clear what you and those who support your position are asking for, and make it clear what you don't want, too. You want the disp. not to be allowed there, but you don't want to lose the rights you already have that our law gave us. Writing out your thoughts will help you sort through them and prepare a solid opinion to present to whoever you complain to.

Sincerely, Sb

As far as courage SB, I have always had to be courageous, just to exist. Without courage, I would have succombed long ago. I do not and will not live life in fear of others for speaking my mind, as long as I maintain dignity and respect while doing so. I live my life very differently than so many in todays world. I am a very social person, yet do not need approval from others to live a fulfilling life. BUT, I do care what others think, I respect others opinions and I value them as part of humanity. I am a very analytical person that likes to have an understanding of everything and the how's and why's. I would never hurt another person intentionally, even if it means my own life. I would give anyone my last dollar if I thought they needed it more than I. I do not brag or boast about what I do have, I try not to whine about what I don't have. Most everything in life comes with a choice, its just a matter of whether we assert that choice. I am not lacking on intelligence, my IQ ranks in the top 2% of the nation. I believe I am a good, moral person and do my best to improve that daily. I will never stop striving to be a better person.

DO I have all the answers.......NO! But not one person on this board can claim to have all the answers either. I didn't post this to learn of the reasons why dispensaries are legal within our law. I have read that debate a dozen times. I do not support dispensaries but have never really spoke bad about them either. I could careless if people want to utilize them. What I do care about is my community, my home and our law as I believed it to be. My voice does have a face in my community. I can fight it locally.....BUT I would not do so if it meant damaging our law as a whole in the local community. I will move farther into the woods :)

I suppose this post is useless, basically venting. I am just frustrated that it has to come to this. I am frustrated that I am going to fight against something I didn't think I would ever need to fight against. Never wanted to fight against. I am frustrated that I helped fight for an iniative that I believed to be something different than what it is "turning into". I am sad that it has come to this. I believe wholeheartedly in the benefits of MMJ. I have to honestly say that I would easily go back to being an illegal user if it means these places are going to be on my front porch operating in the manner they have been known for. Its almost as if I feel like I am siding with "the other guy" and I detest that. I believe if the law is going to allow these places, they do indeed need to be regulated, not infringe upon the rights of personal CGs and be limited to a certain number throughout the state. But thats not feasible either as then our law is going to have to be changed or more defined and we don't want that. The way things were "layed out" for the voters showed how if this iniative passed, we would not need dispensaries...we as patients could grow our own and if unable we could appoint another to grow it for us. They tried to show us how indeed these dispensaries would not be on every corner, the need wouldn't be there. Yet now, everything has changed and there is a need????

" I am frustrated that I am going to fight against something I didn't think I would ever need to fight against."

You have yet to give 1 reason why you feel you NEED to fight these. What is the harm that this business will cause to you, your family, or your community? Why are you so convinced that this dispensary will do anything other than what most do, provide a safe and reliable source for patients to obtain their medicine while creating economic opportunity for your community members?

I mean it would be different if you had a rational reason for opposing it. You take as a given that these businesses attract crime and are detrimental to their communities. Nothing could be further from the truth. MANY dispensaries exist in MANY communities without any negative consequences. A well run dispensary is no different than any other well run business. In fact, I know of numerous dispensaries that are not only NOT negative members of their communities, but who contribute significantly to their communities, sponsoring community organizations, sitting on local boards and commissions, collecting for and donating to charities, holding fundraisers for cancer patients who can't afford their treatments, etc (not to mention the jobs and economic development) they provide.

We all want to raise our families in safe, positive environments, but your POV is hollow, self righteous, and nothing more than NIMBY. A medical marijuana dispensary is no more inherently safe, dangerous, positive or negative than a 7-11 or Walgreens.

If you have enough time to fight a dispensary, you also have enough time to get involved with it and make it into what you want it to be for your community. Some MM outlets have food drives for local residents and some pick up trash in local communities as well as having other community outreach programs.

Archived