Seeing The "otherside"

I agree with Northergal, family, friends and myself voted for MMMA as written with patient/caregiver system , we did not vote for marijuana stores all over the place. To many people got dollar signs in their eyes and to many doctors are signing for money. I have used marijuana for decades for chronic pain and was able to stay employed for 31 years but the fear of being arrested was always there. I have two friends that lost their homes because of plants before the MMMA and that stopped my growing for years. I was happy as could be when this was passed and I could possess 2.5 oz. w/o losing everything and being embarrassingly arrested, now I'm just disgusted with the greed. I live in a heavily populated area and there have been hold ups at every business for miles around and break ins when the businesses are closed, what do you think is going to happen in a marijuana store with product on site here?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you might ask for your money back. (no disrespect intended) I can't imagine how it is supposed to represent the opinion of the population of voters. How does it derive these numbers, by polling a couple hundred people? Perhaps only from certain populations and counties? I am sorry, I have yet to look at the link, which I fully intend on doing. But no matter what it says I have a hard time "swallowing" this number when not one voter out of the hundreds I know have ever been asked that question, since the law passed. I am not doubting you paid a company to do a "study" for you, not at all. I am doubting the accuracy of those numbers the company provided you with. I will say I don't have an issue with what the law says, I suppose the issue is within the interpetation of some.

I used the same firm that MPP employed in the spring of 2008.

At that time, the data showed that about 67% would vote yes. It was after that the Bill Schuette went to work. He spent $900,000 trying to convince the people to vote no.

I think they managed to get a pretty good picture of the voters both times.

This is a very interesting topic to me, I won't interject on this because my thoughts have been been brought up in other posts throughout your thread.

But I'm curious northerngal how do your card carrying neighbors feel about this dispensary?

I also believe I read that you were asked to run for a place in your community's office, so your community sounds like the majority is pro MM. may I ask what county you reside in?

Trix

Just to clarify, just because I love law and the study of law does not mean I agree with it all. Not referring to our law here....just in general. I read my posts to my husband and he says I worded that badly and that it could be easily misinterpreted. I love the study of law and attempting to understand its process. That would be more accurate of a representation.

I think you might ask for your money back. (no disrespect intended) I can't imagine how it is supposed to represent the opinion of the population of voters. How does it derive these numbers, by polling a couple hundred people? Perhaps only from certain populations and counties? I am sorry, I have yet to look at the link, which I fully intend on doing. But no matter what it says I have a hard time "swallowing" this number when not one voter out of the hundreds I know have ever been asked that question, since the law passed. I am not doubting you paid a company to do a "study" for you, not at all. I am doubting the accuracy of those numbers the company provided you with. I will say I don't have an issue with what the law says, I suppose the issue is within the interpetation of some.

So some gut feeling would be more accurate?

Here's another suggestion .. talk to the people.

So some gut feeling would be more accurate?

Here's another suggestion .. talk to the people.

Here's a suggestion.....Read my words. I talk to people IN person daily. (today excluded) Never did I say my gut feeling would be more accurate, please don't put words into my mouth. I told you that not one of the people I personally know, out of hundreds were ever asked this question. How could this represent a large persentage of the "likely voters", when they didn't equate several hundred/likely thousands of ACTUAL registered voters? I can do a random polling of an audience of 1000 and get a 60% yes answer too. I suppose its all depends on the people I poll. Imagine this, I helped a politicians office the week before the election this year. (and before someone asks NO it was not Bill Schutte, it was a democrat) The phone poll showed in some counties over 60% of the voters planned to vote for him days before election. Other counties had less than 30% that were planning to vote for him. I could have easily composed the report to show whatever I chose by eliminating certain answers within my margin. Gut feeling could almost be as accurate on biased polling :) I consider the fact that no one on here has stepped up and said, oh yes, I was asked that question from a polling group, no one I personally know was asked, so its hard for me to believe this is an accurate source of data. With that said, I do understand how these "companies" work and they obviously can not contact all registered voters for their opinion BUT no one has stepped up to say they were included on this. Thats hard for me to fathom when there are thousands of mmj supporters here and that not one of them was included in that 60% vote. With that said, that does not reflect on you in my opinion. You paid some money to have someone make a few phone calls to get an answer you needed. I applaud your effort.

Here's a suggestion.....Read my words. I talk to people IN person daily. (today excluded) Never did I say my gut feeling would be more accurate, please don't put words into my mouth. I told you that not one of the people I personally know, out of hundreds were ever asked this question. How could this represent a large persentage of the "likely voters", when they didn't equate several hundred/likely thousands of ACTUAL registered voters? I can do a random polling of an audience of 1000 and get a 60% yes answer too. I suppose its all depends on the people I poll. Imagine this, I helped a politicians office the week before the election this year. (and before someone asks NO it was not Bill Schutte, it was a democrat) The phone poll showed in some counties over 60% of the voters planned to vote for him days before election. Other counties had less than 30% that were planning to vote for him. I could have easily composed the report to show whatever I chose by eliminating certain answers within my margin. Gut feeling could almost be as accurate on biased polling :) I consider the fact that no one on here has stepped up and said, oh yes, I was asked that question from a polling group, no one I personally know was asked, so its hard for me to believe this is an accurate source of data. With that said, I do understand how these "companies" work and they obviously can not contact all registered voters for their opinion BUT no one has stepped up to say they were included on this. Thats hard for me to fathom when there are thousands of mmj supporters here and that not one of them was included in that 60% vote. With that said, that does not reflect on you in my opinion. You paid some money to have someone make a few phone calls to get an answer you needed. I applaud your effort.

I'm trying to lay to rest a fear.

We have NOT lost the voters.

For the last two years, we've had person after person telling us that we're at risk of losing our law because we are losing public support.

THAT ISN'T THE CASE.

Seriously .. talk to the people that want to open the place. Talk about your fears. Don't go in to threaten them.

If you try to get some local law passed against them, you will find yourself aligned with those that want YOU in jail.

Northerngal here is my question. If you town is so small as to not attract attention and you saying you know most everyone. WHO is trying to open the store? You should be able to find out. Then speak with them ask them why they intend to open where they are planning on opening. Is the place they intend to open zoned commercial so a store front can be opened? Perhaps discuss possible other locations with the person intending to open the place. Perhaps some where closer to the edge of town. I come from a real small town up north as well my grandfather owned operated and lived next to his bait shop. There have been a few stores that people have opposed and they simply spoken with the owner and they moved else where

Northerngal here is my question. If you town is so small as to not attract attention and you saying you know most everyone. WHO is trying to open the store? You should be able to find out. Then speak with them ask them why they intend to open where they are planning on opening. Is the place they intend to open zoned commercial so a store front can be opened? Perhaps discuss possible other locations with the person intending to open the place. Perhaps some where closer to the edge of town. I come from a real small town up north as well my grandfather owned operated and lived next to his bait shop. There have been a few stores that people have opposed and they simply spoken with the owner and they moved else where

what he said!

Here's a suggestion.....Read my words. I talk to people

I think he was suggesting you should talk to the new dispensary owner person(s) before passing further judgment. Meet and greet them in a Christian manner and without voicing your resentments - and go from there. Sounds like you're perhaps best qualified to vet the situation.

While some of the mis-"wording" does make you seem like a bigot, and so on, I believe you're right about there being differences between alcohol bars and locations that distribute drugs and that certain statistics would also suggest an association of crime/violence with the sale of "drugs."

Though I don't agree with the way you present your case, readers should nonetheless understand the common sense you're trying to relate. That commercial drug sellers don't belong in residential neighborhoods. I think if you poll people - they'll agree.

If you feel that it is necessary to contact certain people or group to voice you opinion about dispensaries, I encourage you to do so. Regardless what anyone else may think, you need to do what you think is right. Just because you write that you don’t want this dispensary across the street, does not mean it won’t be there. What you voicing your concern will do is allow you at a later date not say, “I shoulda, woulda, coulda did something”.

There are those may not respect your ideas, but I hope they respect your right to express them. I say respect yourself by doing what you feel you need to do.

In a state with 10,002,486 people, 2,557,410 voted yes, while 1,519,273 voted no to the use of medical marihuana. 4,076,683 people, just 41% of Michiganders took the time to vote on the medical marihuana measure. This means that the other 5,925,803 people in the State were not registered, did not vote on the issue, or didn’t give a darn. Overall, that means that 76.5% of the people said no!

Speak now or forever hold

Trix - I do not choose to announce my county on an open forum. Many here know what county I am from, but they are also people that KNOW me and that I trust. I did mention it once in a post and was advised against it by a very regular "wise" member here. I don't hide within the local communities. I am a regular member of a compassion club, I introduce myself to visiting people of the club. I tend to talk more than many, so I have a tendency to draw attention. (mostly positive) I will tell you it is a county north of Saginaw.

To answer your other question, I only talked to a few neighbors this weekend, as we were all together and it got brought up. There was one that was in support of it, but he wasn't a cardholder nor was he educated on the law in the least bit. (he believed pt.s could have any quantity but only 5 plants??) He has personal reasons that I will not delve into as his reasons for supporting it. (it benefits him directly) The others support my standpoint. I already knew most of their standpoints though. As I said previously, this is something that gets brought up regularly. There is a small margin in our community that just don't care either way. I have yet to meet more than 2 cardholders here that support it though! (at least openly)

To address the other factor, I was invited to run for office, have been encouraged by several. I have no desire at this time, nor do I have the time I would want to devote to the position.

I have decided to speak with him and see what his intentions are directly :) I do indeed know of the person. He is newer to our area, so I do not know him on a personal level. I have had a few discussions with him, unrelated to mmj. But I have decided that is my first "move". I am basing his intentions on what he is relaying to others and we know how that can get turned around. If it were someone that had been part of the community for any amount of time, they would know the position most in the community hold. He is very limited on where he has the ability to open up here. The few open building are either owned by my family or by people they would never rent for those purposes. After talking with some people tonight, they believe the issue can be solved without resorting to "airing it" to the council. Thank you for your suggestions!! I don't expect you to answer this on an open forum, but your grandpa's bait shop wasn't within the northern most county in the lower penisula by chance? My husband had friends growing up thats grandparents owned a bait shop and lived next door!! I read the comment to him and he says...hmmmm perhaps thats my old friend "so and so". I told him it is irrelevant, but he disagreed and insisted I ask :)

Trix - I do not choose to announce my county on an open forum. Many here know what county I am from, but they are also people that KNOW me and that I trust. I did mention it once in a post and was advised against it by a very regular "wise" member here. I don't hide within the local communities. I am a regular member of a compassion club, I introduce myself to visiting people of the club. I tend to talk more than many, so I have a tendency to draw attention. (mostly positive) I will tell you it is a county north of Saginaw.

To answer your other question, I only talked to a few neighbors this weekend, as we were all together and it got brought up. There was one that was in support of it, but he wasn't a cardholder nor was he educated on the law in the least bit. (he believed pt.s could have any quantity but only 5 plants??) He has personal reasons that I will not delve into as his reasons for supporting it. (it benefits him directly) The others support my standpoint. I already knew most of their standpoints though. As I said previously, this is something that gets brought up regularly. There is a small margin in our community that just don't care either way. I have yet to meet more than 2 cardholders here that support it though! (at least openly)

To address the other factor, I was invited to run for office, have been encouraged by several. I have no desire at this time, nor do I have the time I would want to devote to the position.

Hey thanks for answering, I was just curious is all..

w/e you decide to do, be safe hope everything works out well for everyone involved.

I just hope nobody gets LEO involved (IMO) in my experiences nothing positive will come from that, hopefully the community will come up with a positive outcome. Good luck

Trix

By the way, northerngal, I've been meaning to ask you if maybe you can see Russia from your back yard? Are you a Moma Grizzly?

As Blueberry said "Folks, it is now more important than ever that you practice all of your first amendment rights. We're all never going to agree on everything. Just us letting them know that we are involved in the process is a powerful weapon!"

Your remark was uncalled for. Be civil please.

I have decided to speak with him and see what his intentions are directly :) I do indeed know of the person. He is newer to our area, so I do not know him on a personal level. I have had a few discussions with him, unrelated to mmj. But I have decided that is my first "move". I am basing his intentions on what he is relaying to others and we know how that can get turned around. If it were someone that had been part of the community for any amount of time, they would know the position most in the community hold. He is very limited on where he has the ability to open up here. The few open building are either owned by my family or by people they would never rent for those purposes. After talking with some people tonight, they believe the issue can be solved without resorting to "airing it" to the council. Thank you for your suggestions!! I don't expect you to answer this on an open forum, but your grandpa's bait shop wasn't within the northern most county in the lower penisula by chance? My husband had friends growing up thats grandparents owned a bait shop and lived next door!! I read the comment to him and he says...hmmmm perhaps thats my old friend "so and so". I told him it is irrelevant, but he disagreed and insisted I ask :)

Thank you!

It may be possible to avoid a lot of angst and benefit the community as a whole.

As Blueberry said "Folks, it is now more important than ever that you practice all of your first amendment rights. We're all never going to agree on everything. Just us letting them know that we are involved in the process is a powerful weapon!"

I'm sure I haven't the slightest idea what you're referring to and I resent the implication that I have been uncivil - sheesh!

I'm trying to lay to rest a fear.

We have NOT lost the voters.

For the last two years, we've had person after person telling us that we're at risk of losing our law because we are losing public support.

THAT ISN'T THE CASE.

Seriously .. talk to the people that want to open the place. Talk about your fears. Don't go in to threaten them.

If you try to get some local law passed against them, you will find yourself aligned with those that want YOU in jail.

BRAVO PB. Agreed.

Agreed. Great thread. And NorthernGirl, I hope this works out for you. You seem to be in a much better place than when the thread started. I'm so glad to see that. Its great we have this place. I so happy we have the MMMA.

Pb is right. We have the people. We must inform the people what is happening. I honestly believe once the people understand the abuse we are taking to protect their vote, they will come to our aid. Jones has this year to do what he's going to do. Then it's re-election time. We must make the Senators in his party understand that if they persecute us, it will cost them the election. We are already starting our voter registration drive. We are not only registering voters, but we will be giving them rides to the polls. If we can register a few voters in key districts, we can boot the bums out. With all the problems this state has. I'm sure the voters will not appreciate all the time that has been wasted solving non-issues. The fight is on. Thanks, Bb

Bb, 100%

People tend to vote out of fear or anger.

And educating people is the only way to change those attitudes.

2012 will be here in no time.

Organization and planning can never begin too soon.

I'm over it. Off my soapbox. Had a great lengthy discussion with someone I could consider a mentor in the MMJ community. I have concluded that I will see how it goes. If it ends up being problematic, I will then do what is neccessary to get them out. If it can exist as a peaceful business within the community, without the issues I hear about with others, so be it. I will admit, I jumped the gun. I am more educated than that and should know better. I was just very frustrated, as this was not what I voted for or educated people on. BUT if its what the majority wants, who I am to stand in the way. I was informed that there would be enough locals that are anti-mmj that will oppose it. Although I do not support the dispensary system at this time, if I see the "battle" turn around and be an anti-mmj thing, not an anti-dispensary thing, the "war" is on! (WAR and BATTLE are both in parentheses, not intended to mean an act of violence for those that will continue "running me over the coals")

Just as a matter of awareness.... I did not back down from this because several of you voiced your displeasure. Nor did I do it because I felt I needed to "conform". I don't need to make friends here, although I don't care to make enemies either. I learned some things that I was not aware of, learned I did not need to put my neck on the chopping block yet and learned its not worth buying problems that may not occur.

I also realized I was not completely honest with my motives either, although I didn't realize that until this morning. Something I despise in others. Suppose I feel the "need" to come clean. I worked hard within my community to gain respect and to be taken seriously as an MMJ patient and not a "stoner". (my worst fear) I have shown the people here that a person using mmj for medicinal purposes does not fit their "stereotype". I am a clean, well dressed, well spoken, respectful individual. I function in local society as an asset, not a hinderance. I do my part within the community and help whomever I can. My community knows this, I have worked hard to show them. I did not want all that to be "up in smoke" because some "unscupulous" individual opens a dispensary, supplies mmj to patients and does not educate those patients. (among other possible issues.) Education is a key thing with me. The more people understand something, like mmj, the less they fear it. I have learned in my area it takes ALOT more than words for people to understand intent and people are VERY distrustful and leary of "outsiders". I am one of those people, unfortuantely I realized how much with this thread. I plan to work on that :)

I am sorry to anyone I offended with my words. That was never my intent. I did learn a few other things with this thread. The majority of people I have met on this forum are awesome people that I am glad to know. There are others I would be ashamed to associate with. The lack of dignity and respect in your posts make one want to run from this website, not attempt to learn the reasons behind your words. I never meant to make anyone feel disrespected, that is not how I live life. If I were to have rebutted with insulting behavior, I would expect to be treated in that way. I was really seeking answers on how to do something I thought neccessary in a way that would not damage our law as a whole. I was willing to look at others opinions and try to view it from a different standpoint. I have learned my lesson. I have also learned that I need to continue to reread things dozens of times before I post, so they are not misconstrued or provide a better explanation of my thoughts.

Thank you to all those that shared their viewpoints constructively without disrespect and insults!! I appreciate it!

Archived