Medical Marijuana Bill In Michigan Looks Likely To Pass

EdwardGlen

No CC I've been to was cannabis allowed to be used on site.

Guess I won't have to pay dues anymore to go my CC. Where I am able to socialize with people who are being denied the same quality of life healthy people take for granted.

I'm starting to have my doubts that anyone in Lansing has ever heard of the The US Constitution or the Bill of Rights let alone read it. In case they haven't, here's something they should have tattooed to the inside of their eyelids!

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

A new medical marijuana bill in Michigan looks likely to pass. The Bill, SB0017 introduced by Senator Rick Jones, seeks to prohibit marijuana bars in Michigan. Operation of such facilities would be classed as a misdemeanor and attract a $500 fine, 90 days in jail – or both.

On a more positive note, SB0017 does not include dispensaries, which are exempted under a clause stating, “property where marijuana is legally dispensed under the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.” Licensed hospices, nursing homes and skilled nursing services are also exempt.

For the purposes of the Michigan bill, a marijuana bar is defined as:

“A property where an individual is allowed to use marijuana under the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act if the use of marijuana on the property is conditioned on the payment of a fee.”

A marijuana club is defined as:

“An association of individuals with membership restricted to those who pay money or any other thing of value to become members, the purpose of which is to allow more than one individual to use marijuana under the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.”

Senator Jones, a Grand Ledge Republican, is in the process of assembling an informal information gathering task force. He hopes to draft further legislation by midsummer.

In support of his action, Jones said:

“When Pfizer manufactures a pill, they get taxed. Why shouldn’t someone who manufactures marijuana get taxed?”

He was quick to add that he hasn’t yet calculated the amount of money that would be raised from such a tax.

Senator Jones says that his bill was prompted by a police raid back in May 2010. The raid was on the Green Leaf Smokers’ Club, which allowed marijuana bought on the premises to be used on the premises. Owner, Fredrick Wayne Dagit, was arrested after allegedly trying to buy 50lbs of marijuana from an undercover police officer.

SENATE BILL No. 17

January 19, 2011, Introduced by Senator JONES and referred to the Committee on Health Policy.

A bill to amend 1978 PA 368, entitled

"Public health code,"

(MCL 333.1101 to 333.25211) by adding section 7421.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:

Sec. 7421. (1) A person shall not organize or operate a

marihuana club.

(2) A person shall not operate a marihuana bar or knowingly

allow land or a structure on land owned by or in the possession of

the person to be used as a marihuana bar.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a

misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or

a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.

(4) As used in this section:

<b><br style="page-break-before: always;" clear="all"> </b> (a) "Marihuana bar" means, subject to subdivision ©,

property where an individual is allowed to use marihuana under the

Michigan medical marihuana act, 2008 IL 1, MCL 333.26421 to

333.26430, if the use of marihuana on the property is conditioned

on the payment of a fee.

(b) "Marihuana club" means, subject to subdivision ©, an

association of individuals with membership restricted to those who

pay money or any other thing of value to become members, the

purpose of which is to allow more than 1 individual to use

marihuana under the Michigan medical marihuana act, 2008 IL 1, MCL

333.26421 to 333.26430, at the same time in the same private place.

© "Marihuana bar" and "marihuana club" do not include any of

the following:

(i) Property used as a hospice licensed under part 214.

(ii) Property used as a nursing home or skilled nursing

facility licensed under part 217.

(iii) Property where marihuana is legally dispensed under the

(d) "Payment of a fee" means the payment of money or any other

thing of value. Payment of a fee includes the purchase of goods or

services, including goods or services that are not incidental to

the use of marihuana, and the payment of money or any other thing

of value to belong to an association of individuals.

That is not the story quoted in the first post.

I think I found the story here:

http://www.medicalmarijuanablog.com/news/new-michigan-bill-214.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

What I want to know is where they get this "likely to pass" stuff. From what I understand this bill is dead.

If we allow this Bill to pass, it will open the floodgates. This Bill is meant to destroy our social network. They will not stop until they destroy the freedoms that the people gave us. We should give them nothing but sorrow, for daring to defy the people. Thanks, BB

Don't think they can stop us from randomly gathering on Private Property ? Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

(a) "Marihuana bar" means, subject to subdivision ©,

on the payment of a fee.

With no "payment of a fee" or "pay money or any other thing of value to become members", So, you nix the fees, and accept donations. Ask a lawyer....I'm not.

Don't think they can stop us from randomly gathering on Private Property ? Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

(a) "Marihuana bar" means, subject to subdivision ©,

on the payment of a fee.

With no "payment of a fee" or "pay money or any other thing of value to become members", So, you nix the fees, and accept donations. Ask a lawyer....I'm not.

'Politicians' and 'large corporations' get around these kinds of 'legal' limitations all the time.

How else could they get away with the back door deals they do with 'campaign' contributions and 'Wall Street' rip offs?.

A well informed lawyer is the way to go with this.

They use them... Why shouldn't we?

“When Pfizer manufactures a pill, they get taxed. Why shouldn’t someone who manufactures marijuana get taxed?”

Should I get taxed because I grow tomatoes and squash during the summer? Or do they just want to tax my weeds?

Should I get taxed because I grow tomatoes and squash during the summer? Or do they just want to tax my weeds?

Nope. But if you open a veggie stand to sell those tomatoes and squash, then any income gained from such sales should, of course, be taxed. The same should apply to marijuana.

On a more positive note, SB0017 does not include dispensaries, which are exempted under a clause stating, “property where marijuana is legally dispensed under the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.” Licensed hospices, nursing homes and skilled nursing services are also exempt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what a dispensary does is "collect payments or fee's for the purchase of goods or services", so how can they state that dispensaries are exempt?

The only reason that I can see them stating that, is because they "the government" will be running these dispensaries that's why its exempt from the law.

Trix

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what a dispensary does is "collect payments or fee's for the purchase of goods or services", so how can they state that dispensaries are exempt?

The only reason that I can see them stating that, is because they "the government" will be running these dispensaries that's why its exempt from the law.

Trix

inn one breath they say dispensarys are not leagl in other they say we will exempt them

The law itself is hideous. It is meant to paint our organizations as a bunch of pot heads getting together to party. It is just an initial step in a government take over of Medical Marijuana. Even more insidious is the, "We know what's best for you" aspect. It is the way that Hitlers Germany got it's foot hold. We must not let this man appeal to the worst in people in order to gain power and deprive people of their freedom. Thanks, Bb

you are not off the mark BB

A Theocratic run world government who thinks that IT knows best is the DEVILS work, fools gold-they(NEO-CONS)and have been sorely fooled!

http://www.medicalmarijuanablog.com/news/new-michigan-bill-214.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

What I want to know is where they get this "likely to pass" stuff. From what I understand this bill is dead.

I apologize for posting the wrong link.

© "Marihuana bar" and "marihuana club" do not include any of

the following:

(iii) Property where marihuana is legally dispensed under the

Doesn't that say that as long as there are legal patient/caregiver transactions going on on the property then this law doesn't apply? So can we smoke as long as we're transferring?

It sure looks like that's what it says.

You are right, the law does not define what a legal transfer is or any exceptions for our institutions. It clearly defines the trigger. Consumption on the property. So the law could be interpreted to ban all transfers/consumption unless they occur in a state run or hybrid dispensary. Medical Marijuana events would not occur because of the liability that would be carried by the host organization. Above and beyond that, why should our community have to give up the First Amendment? I'd rather die, than surrender my Constitutional rights. Thanks, Bb

Raids keep happening like they are and someone will die for their Constitutional Rights and MI government could careless.

Through their failures to follow the law as written is proof enough they do not respect us, the law, or our Constitution!

PB the site you linked to is nothing more than an internet marketing blog.

Someone selling vapes, etc online.

So the "likely to pass" language was pulled right out of the marketer's creative mind. Not vetted nor fact based.

A good, catchy, click and traffic catching headline is all.

IMO nothing to get to concerned about, it is not by any means a hihg traffic information or authourity type web site.

SB99 passed the Senate SB17 as read went to health committee . SB99 effectively ends medibles for all but those able to cook one muffin daily and keep limits under the combined wieght of the muffin and their cannabis on hand within the MMMAct's limits or face a myriad of charges and use the AD in court negating medibles or the act for them . Don't take my word for it but I am not a dolt that is how I read it .

PB the site you linked to is nothing more than an internet marketing blog.

Someone selling vapes, etc online.

So the "likely to pass" language was pulled right out of the marketer's creative mind. Not vetted nor fact based.

A good, catchy, click and traffic catching headline is all.

IMO nothing to get to concerned about, it is not by any means a hihg traffic information or authourity type web site.

Got me going .. I guess that's what it was supposed to do.

Just the same I think I'd like to get just a little better confirmation. If someone has been doing some vote counting and it shows this, I want to know ASAP.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced this is targeting compassion clubs.

Bill number 99 is patterned after a similar attempt in CA. Unless marijuana is entirely excluded from this law, it WILL be used against patients, caregivers and dispensaries. It may not be intended to be used that way. So what ..

The letter of this proposed law WOULD be used against us. How many times and places?? Don't know. But even one single abuse of a patient is not worth the risk. And I think it would be many more than one.

Well one thing I noticed about the this is Dispensaries are supposed to be exempt. WHAT THE HECK! most higher ups and leo are saying they are against the law but now if this passes they are being written into the bill to be exempt. How can they be illegal and exempt from being illegal at the same time. Oh wait money talks outside carpetbaggers are coming in throwing money at the politicians like usual the politicians are getting all the loot they can. The problem is illegal growers and drug dealers who have the money to put forward to buy off the politicians don't want it legal for medical or otherwise because it will cut them out. We poor people that have found an all natural remedy for our problems can't afford to buy politicians. There in lies the problem with the political system as it stands. Money is the reason the city of wyoming banned if mayor poll can't make the money selling it through his pharmacy then no one should be able too.

Well one thing I noticed about the this is Dispensaries are supposed to be exempt. WHAT THE HECK! most higher ups and leo are saying they are against the law but now if this passes they are being written into the bill to be exempt. How can they be illegal and exempt from being illegal at the same time. Oh wait money talks outside carpetbaggers are coming in throwing money at the politicians like usual the politicians are getting all the loot they can. The problem is illegal growers and drug dealers who have the money to put forward to buy off the politicians don't want it legal for medical or otherwise because it will cut them out. We poor people that have found an all natural remedy for our problems can't afford to buy politicians. There in lies the problem with the political system as it stands. Money is the reason the city of wyoming banned if mayor poll can't make the money selling it through his pharmacy then no one should be able too.

Dispensaries are exempt is a misnomer because where would legal supply come from for medibles under this act or be able to be carried into dispensaries by patients ?.Patients who desperately support the farmers market / consignment type distribution Patients would be nailed left and right ? Which I am sure you realize but not those in Government .The majority of patients will not be able to afford what is evolving Patients should be the ones to supply this system because they will be the most discriminated in the job market - or at least have opportunity as a viable alternative outlet . I can tell you who I would choose to purchase from . It wouldn't be the carpetbaggers with corporate dispensaries that will only be usable by the majority if the State reimburses patients for all costs . I grow for $20 a ounce but can barely supply myself and never up to what I really need for medibles or oil to give this the proper evaluation as a therapy . The current 2.5 ounce on hand limits really make it impossible to keep continuous supply and are nearly impossible for anyone to follow precisely . I could use a farmers market model with reasonable pricing like I have seen in some places or would appear at Farmers Markets for qualified patients only if the veil of discrimination could be brought down and real world practical implementation allowed to move forward .

Archived