Fish Mulm

JimD

I have a large aquarium, that I run about 4x the needed filtration (because I am lazy and hate cleaning it). About every 3 months or so I have to clean and replace the filter cartridges, and I have always noticed that the biomass of nitrifying bacteria always had a pleasant earthy smell. Definitely far from the stinky sewage-esque smell one might anticipate. I think it HAS to be good fertilizer. Has anyone tried this? I am going to experiment a bit when I start growing my meds next month.

YES! This is good biological bacteria. wakes up your soil never burns and is a healthy dose of Nitrogen. this idea is the basis of aquaponics and organic tea brewing. I'm a fish guy and have practicing this idea for years.

another cool thing you can do... If you run a back filter. it doubles a a cloner 5-6 days to root. just lay your stems in the back of the filter where the water is coming in to be filtered and Whalla! roots.

• 3 weeks later...

I did them bare, no media. Using a medium around the stem limits the flow of fresh water and or oxygenated water from the stem. is this what you are asking? or do you mean you just want to soak the clone cubes in the fish water before using them in your cloner? I don't think I would do that. You could introduce a bad bacteria into an area that does not have an established population of good bacteria to combat the bad guys. Worth a try though, you could do a side by side one in RO and one in Fish water. if you do post the results, it would be an interesting experiment. The reason the fish back filter works is the flow is oxygenated and warmer than the air, new roots don't seem to need nutrients right away so I don't think the nutrients in the fish water are going to make them root any better, this is only my opinion. All I know is bare stem in the back filter is the fastest clone rooting I have ever seen.

Archived