Ceramic Metal Halide

Anyone using this lighting setup?

Pros and cons ?

From what i read online its for the entire stage of the grow both veg and flower .

Im looking to maximize my limited grow area and saw a member here call this setup the future of growing my interest is peaked anyone got any info on this gear?

Anyone using this lighting setup?

Pros and cons ?

From what i read online its for the entire stage of the grow both veg and flower .

Im looking to maximize my limited grow area and saw a member here call this setup the future of growing my interest is peaked anyone got any info on this gear?

Got any links? I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about.

I've got a light with a switchable ballast. I can put an hps or mh bulb in there. I've noticed that the socket area does have a ceramic piece. I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to...

We use our current ballasts so the upgrade would be the cmh bulb alone. ($110)

http://www.hydro-techn.com/seattlehydroponics/ceramic.html

The bulb is only $60. Look lower in that post. I am also considering using this bulb. I have seen it as low as $56.

It can be used for both veg and flower. Also, the bulb runs cooler than MH and HPS. Plus it lasts longer and degrades less over time. nice!

Its a type of bulb made by philips heres a thread at icmag

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=72215

Currently they only make the 400 watt bulb but if its a better color spectrum id move to two aircooled hoods and ditch my 1k.

They only make UP to 400w CMH bulbs. I am a day from finishing installing a new 250w CMH in a veg space, It is replacing a 400w MH. I got the ballast, 2 bulbs (1 cmh and 1 hps) for 100.

Well if they run super kool ill be running 3 seperate hoods (1200 watts) maybe run one verticle correct color spectrum is the key to growing cannabis and to be able to get the popcorn buds bottom side of the plant to fill in more im thinking my yields go up at least a 1/2 or an oz per plant thats a lot to me in a perpetual garden. :thumbsu:

That one link said no digital ballasts. You'll have to buy ballasts then bro. More money. More money. When does it end....

3. Will they run on my DIGITAL ballast?

A: NO (unless you have a specifically designed digital ballast for CMH lamps). They must be used in HPS ballast.

NO DIGITAL BALLASTS - you will destroy the bulb. ONLY use a standard coil and core HPS ballast

That one link said no digital ballasts. You'll have to buy ballasts then bro. More money. More money. When does it end....

3. Will they run on my DIGITAL ballast?

A: NO (unless you have a specifically designed digital ballast for CMH lamps). They must be used in HPS ballast.

NO DIGITAL BALLASTS - you will destroy the bulb. ONLY use a standard coil and core HPS ballast

Ya know i saw that but i also read a thread at icmag that contradicts that statement ill see if i can fish it up .

Cool(but do you really wanna replace your 1000 with 400's?) :mellow:

Well no electronic ballasts that blows but my plan is to get more light coverage in the new improved flower room i have a lot of dead space that could be used for another flowering lady or two ya know the more the merrier ! :thumbsu:

Im like you with les pauls im always looking to upgrade. :lol:

Well no electronic ballasts that blows but my plan is to get more light coverage in the new improved flower room i have a lot of dead space that could be used for another flowering lady or two ya know the more the merrier ! :thumbsu:

Im like you with les pauls im always looking to upgrade. :lol:

:thumbsu:

I need to do something myself. The dayum tent needs to come down but then you KNOW I'll want to throw another 1000 in there. Like I can afford that. :notfair:

Well i have a vision in my head of dual hoods and a dual socket 220 volt 600 watt lumatek digital setup with either eye hortilux bulbs or sun pulse i can then downgrade from the monster 8 bulb t-5 ho fixture that seems to be blowing up my power bill and go back to my kool running t-12s in the veg chamber.

Well if they run super kool ill be running 3 seperate hoods (1200 watts) maybe run one verticle correct color spectrum is the key to growing cannabis and to be able to get the popcorn buds bottom side of the plant to fill in more im thinking my yields go up at least a 1/2 or an oz per plant thats a lot to me in a perpetual garden. :thumbsu:

From what I've read, they don't run super cool, just cooler than HPS or MH of the same wattage. ie: easier to cool, but definitely still put off heat that needs to be dealt with one way or another.

I would also like to run these bulbs vertical. I want to replace a 1K vertical in a cool tube with 2 400W CMH in 2 cool tubes butted together. Again, from what I've read, some people are reporting that they are getting better yields by doing this switch, with no other change to their grow.

I have not yet been able to source the vertical CMH bulbs. I have only found the horizontal bulbs. They will not run both horizontal & vertical orientation. If anyone finds them, please post here.

From what I've read, they don't run super cool, just cooler than HPS or MH of the same wattage. ie: easier to cool, but definitely still put off heat that needs to be dealt with one way or another.

I would also like to run these bulbs vertical. I want to replace a 1K vertical in a cool tube with 2 400W CMH in 2 cool tubes butted together. Again, from what I've read, some people are reporting that they are getting better yields by doing this switch, with no other change to their grow.

I have not yet been able to source the vertical CMH bulbs. I have only found the horizontal bulbs. They will not run both horizontal & vertical orientation. If anyone finds them, please post here.

Would you be willing to run a side by side on identical clones, 1 under 1000w hps 1 under 2x400wcmh. I personally find it hard to believe it would out yield however I would like to see it in action and what better way to show it then that.

Would you be willing to run a side by side on identical clones, 1 under 1000w hps 1 under 2x400wcmh. I personally find it hard to believe it would out yield however I would like to see it in action and what better way to show it then that.

Awesome idea. As soon as I build another grow room next to my existing one, I will try that. It truly is the only way to know.

I checked the Philips website and found their CMH selection:

gallery_528_659_143187.jpg

Here are the basic specs of the family: Philips CMH Specs

The vert 400W: http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.com/l/catalog/catalog.jsp?productid=928601104101_NA_US_LP_PROF_ATG&catalogType=LP_PROF_ATG&userLanguage=en&userCountry=us&_requestid=42879

The horz 400W: http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.com/l/catalog/catalog.jsp?productid=928601155801_NA_US_LP_PROF_ATG&catalogType=LP_PROF_ATG&userLanguage=en&userCountry=us&_requestid=42761

Best price I found and they have 9.95 flat rate shipping.

400W Vert 41.50 link

400W Horz 41.50 link

250W Vert 49.50 link

250W Horz 49.50 link

Funny how the 250W bulb is more than the 400W. Guess they made more of the 400.

Archived